Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2017, 12:55 AM   #1
BYU 14
Coordinator

Purgatory at Petco - MLB The Show 17

What better job than then a Baseball GM in San Diego, the weather, the beach, the women, it goes on and on..........Just too bad the Padres come with it.

After some manipulation to the 40 man roster, we are 'ready' to play ball. The good news is there are a few good, young players in the fold. The bad news is, there are plenty of castoffs too and this will not be a quick flip.

Pitching

Starting rotation (2016 record in parenthesis)
1-Trevor Cahill (4-4, 2.74)
The unquestioned ace of the staff, he returns to the rotation after appearing in 50 games in relief for the Cubs in 2016. The hope is he can conjure some of the magic that saw him go 18-8.......in 2010.
2-Christian Friedrich (5-12, 4.80) At least he eats innings
3-Robbie Erlin (1-2, 4.02) At best a spot starter, not on this team
4-Jhoulys Chacon (6-8, 4.81) not world beating numbers, but he does have a live arm
5-Colin Rea (5-5, 4.82) Another relatively unproven youngster, fine for the 5th spot.

Bullpen
CL-Brian Mauer (0-5, 13 saves, 4.12) An ERA over 4 for a closer means you need to win big!
SU-Carter Capps (Injured) Coming back from Tommy John, I have faith
SU-Ryan Buchter (3-6, 2.86) Could hop into the closer role if Mauer struggles
Others
Craig Stammen (AAA)
Kevin Quackenbush (7-7, 2 saves 3.82)
Brad Hand (4-4, 1 save, 2.92)
Jarred Cosart (0-4, 6.00) Spot starter, will get a shot if anyone sucks too bad

We also have Jered Weaver coming back from injury, but I may try and package him with a prospect to bring in another bat.

Regular Lineup

C-Christian Bethancourt (228-6-25) he gets first chance over feather hitting Austin Hedges
1B-Will Myers (.259-28-94) The closest thing we have to the face of the franchise. Potential 35 HR, 110 RBI guy if his teammates get on base
2B-Yangervis Solarte (.286-15-71) Solid middle infielder, makes our right side very serviceable
3B-Ryan Schimpf (.217-20-51) Has eye popping power, but Mendoza line contact skills
SS-Erick Aybar (.243-3-34) Aging vet whose best days are behind him. Both spots on the left side of the infield need an upgrade
RF-Hunter Renfroe (371-4-14) and Travis Jankowski (.245-2-12) Renfroe looked special getting his cup of coffee last year, will get most of the starts here, with Jankowski being the 4th outfielder
CF-Manuel Margot (.243-0-3) One of our prize prospects, the time to grow up is now.
LF-Cory Spangenberg (.228-1-8) Not a long term answer, but will get a shot for now

Bench

Allen Cordoba (Rookie) He has some natural skill and can play 3B, SS and the OF, could be a valuable player
Alex Dickerson (.251-10-37) OF/1B journeyman, not great, not terrible
Austin Hedges (.125-0-1) Banjo hitting catcher, calls a decent game
Dusty Coleman (AAA) Depth at 3B, SS, that's about it

The first thing we are going to do is look to upgrade the hot corner. Schimpf has sexy power, but a .200 average still leaves a lot of runs on the base paths. I might look to package Weaver, and a top farm hand and give the White Sox a call and try and talk them out of Todd Frazier. We really need another corner outfielder that can hit and lend a veteran presence to the two youngsters out there.

As if it wasn't bad enough, we open against the Dodgers and Kershaw, swell!

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
BYU 14
Coordinator

Game 1 @ Los Angeles

We are fortunate to catch Kershaw on one of his 2 a year off days. He leaves pitch after pitch over the plate and we knock him out of the box 4 2/3 innings into the game. Cahill has the sinker working and gives us 7 strong innings, giving up a single run and fanning 6. Hunter Renfroe lives up to the hype, going deep twice and driving in 4. Record 1-0

Padres 7-14-0 W - Cahill 1-0
Dodgers 3-6-0 L - Kershaw 0-1

SD
2B - Spangenberg (1)
HR - Renfroe 2 (2), Myers (1)

LA
2B - Puig (1)
HR - Forsythe (1)
Old 05-30-2017, 11:09 AM   #3
CraigSca
Pro Starter

what settings are you playing on?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 11:12 AM   #4
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
what settings are you playing on?

BYU 14's "Old Guy" quick count sliders for The Show 17 - Operation Sports Forums

Veteran hitting version as I get a greater array of results, due to the timing and variables in the CPU pitcher. AS hitting is good, but the variance in scores is narrower.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 05-30-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #5
BYU 14
Coordinator

Game 2 @ Los Angeles

Will Myers is the hero today as he clubs a pair of doubles, adds two walks and drives in 3 of our 4 runs as we jump on Hill early and hang on, with Mauer entering the game in the 9th and striking out the side, after giving up a walk. Both teams tallied 11 strikeouts on the day as we are off to a surprising start. Record 2-0

Padres 4-10-0 W - Friedrich 1-0
Dodgers 3-8-1 L - Hill 0-1

SD
2B - Myers 2 (2), Solarte (1), Bethancourt (1)

LA
HR - Forsythe (2), Bellinger (1)
Old 05-30-2017, 07:39 PM   #6
BYU 14
Coordinator

Game 3 @ Los Angeles

All good things must come to an end and despite leading on two different occasions we fall for the first time in the young season as Logan Forsythe, who has 6 RBI's in the series, drives home the deciding 2 runs with a double. Allen Cordoba brought the crowd to life legging out an inside the park home run, that eluded Puig in RF as he tried to make a diving catch of a line drive.

Padres 3-8-0 L - Erlin 0-1 (5 IP, 8 Hits, 3 BB, 5 K)
Dodgers 4-9-0 W - Maeda 1-0

SD
HR - Cordoba (1)

LA
2B - Forsythe (1), Seager (1), Gutierrez (1)

Will Myers also has 6 RBI for us through three games and is playing the part of franchise player well. I almost pull the trigger on a couple of deals involving Schimpf and Jered Weaver, but I would also lose Luis Urias and I don't want to let him go. I can't put anything together to pry Todd Frazier away from the White Sox.

Kevin Quackenbush takes a line drive to the head and will be out 1-2 weeks on concussion protocol.

Record 2-1

Last edited by BYU 14 : 05-30-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:41 PM   #7
BYU 14
Coordinator

Game 4 @ Los Angeles

Padres 2-3-0
Dodgers 3-7-1
W-Ryu 1-0, L-Chacin 0-1, Save Jansen (2)
2B:
SD - Myers (3)
LA - Forsythe (2), Seager (2), Grandal (1), Hernandez (1)
HR:
SD - Bethancourt (1), Coleman (1)

Ryu is masterful for the Dodgers going 7 innings and only giving up 3 hits and 2 runs, walking 1 and fanning 4. We would have been blanked had we not put two of those into the seats. Chacin matches him, but has one bad inning in the 3rd, when LA gets all of their runs on a walk and three doubles. The Dodgers salvage a split in a series that features three 1 run games to open the season. We now head home to face the Giants and I will take a .500 record considering who we had to face.

Record 2-2
Old 05-31-2017, 10:38 PM   #8
JediKooter
Coordinator

In addition to trades, are you just managing the Padres or are you also manually working on the AAA, AA & A teams to help improve the roster? (At least I think you can in The Show). I've only been doing Road to the Show so far with 17.

By the way, GO PADRES!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:11 AM   #9
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
In addition to trades, are you just managing the Padres or are you also manually working on the AAA, AA & A teams to help improve the roster? (At least I think you can in The Show). I've only been doing Road to the Show so far with 17.

By the way, GO PADRES!

I let the CPU do the training and contracts for scouts and coaches, but I do all the moves manually. I look at the training assignments and may alter them, but for the most part I leave it alone.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:17 AM   #10
BYU 14
Coordinator

Game 5 vs. San Francisco

Giants 1-6-1
Padres 5-6-1
W-Rea 1-0, L-Blach 0-1, Save Mauer (2)
2B:
SF - Span (1), Williamson (2)
3B
SD - Aybar (1)
HR:
SD - Bethancourt (2), Renfroe (3), Jankowski (1)

All about power as we make the most of our hits going deep three times to take the home opener as Rea goes 7.1 shutout innings and only gives up 4 hits, walking 1 and fanning 2. After a little trouble in the 9th, Mauer comes in and slams the door. We are currently tied for 3rd with 9 home runs, hopefully we can keep up the pace.

Record 3-2
Old 06-01-2017, 08:07 AM   #11
BYU 14
Coordinator

Game 6 vs. San Francisco

Giants 5-12-0
Padres 6-9-2
W-Cahill 2-0, L-Cueto 0-1, Save Mauer (3)
3B
SF - Nunez (1)
HR:
SD - Dickerson (1), Spangenberg (1)

Trevor Cahill is not as sharp as he was in the opener, allowing 10 hits over 6.1 innings, but the bullpen is dialed in as they hold the Giants scoreless over the final 2.2 innings with Mauer striking out the side in the 9th after allowing the tying run to reach second. Nunez goes 4-5 with 3 runs scored in a losing cause and kills us with his speed. For the good guys Will Myers drives in his 7th run of the season with a 1st inning single and Erick Aybar goes 2-3 and is hitting .500 on the young season. We are tied for 1st place with the Dodgers.

Record 4-2
Old 06-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #12
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I let the CPU do the training and contracts for scouts and coaches, but I do all the moves manually. I look at the training assignments and may alter them, but for the most part I leave it alone.

Awesome! That would be some serious micromanaging/time sink if you did all that.

Nice to see the Pads scoring 5 runs. In real life, that gets me 50% off of Papa John's online orders.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 06-01-2017, 04:50 PM   #13
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Nice to see the Pads scoring 5 runs. In real life, that gets me 50% off of Papa John's online orders.

Haha, I'll keep the efforts up
Old 06-01-2017, 07:55 PM   #14
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Haha, I'll keep the efforts up

Thank you kind sir!

Old 06-01-2017, 11:28 PM   #15
BYU 14
Coordinator

Game 7 vs. San Francisco

Giants 2-7-1
Padres 3-6-0
W-Capps 1-0, L-Kontos 0-1
2B
SD - Schimpf (1)
3B
SF - Span (1)
HR:
SD - Solarte (1), Renfroe (4)

We just keep finding ways as Yangervis Solarte, only 1 for 20 on the season, leads off the bottom of the 9th with a walk off HR on a 3-2 count to complete the sweep of the Giants. Jeff Samardzija was wildly effective, giving up just 2 runs on a 6th inning homer from Renfroe. This despite issuing 7 of the 9 walks Padre hitters drew on the day. Friedrich was solid going 7 innings and giving up 2 runs on 6 hits, walking 1 and striking out 4. The team is playing with confidence as we head to Colorado still tied for 1st place in the west. Our hot start has me holding off on trying to acquire a new third sacker, though I still have Todd Frazier in my sights, but he will not come cheap.

Record 5-2

Last edited by BYU 14 : 06-01-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:05 AM   #16
BYU 14
Coordinator

Game 8 at Colorado

Padres 3-8-0
Rockies 1-7-1
W-Stammem 1-0, L-Lyles 0-1, save Buchter (1)
2B
SD - Schimpf (2), Renfroe (1)
3B
COL - Parra (1)
HR
SD - Solarte (2)

A pitchers duel at Coors field? Yep, Erlin and Senzatela go at it in a classic with Erlin going 7.1 innins, giving up 6 hits and a single earned run, walking 1 and fanning 2. He leaves in the 7th up 1-0 on the strength of Solarte's solo shot, but the pen blows the lead. Senzatela was even better minus the HR, as he goes 7, gives up 5 hits and whiffs 9 with no walks. We win it when Aybar drives in pinch runner Cordoba in the 9th with a single to left, then add an insurance run for the final margin. Riding this fast start for all it's worth

Record: 6-2
Old 06-03-2017, 09:20 AM   #17
BYU 14
Coordinator

Game 9 at Colorado

Padres 3-10-1
Rockies 12-18-0
W-Freeland 1-0, L-Chacin 0-2
2B
SD - Bethancourt (2), Aybar (1)
COL - Gonzalez (1), Desmond (2), Hanigan (2)
HR
SD - Renfroe (5)
COL - Story (1)

These are the Padres we know and love as fate finally catches up to us. Chacin implodes, walking 4 and giving up 10 hits and 7 runs (6 earned) in 4.2 innings. The Rockies don't treat Cossart or Weaver much better as a 1-0 lead on Renfroe's 5th bomb is very short lived. DJ LaMahieu 4 for 5 with 4 runs scored and Nolan Aranda 3 for 4, 3 RBI lead the way for the home towners. Speaking of, Renfroe is tied with Kris Bryant and Giancarlo Stanton for the MLB lead in homers, and the Padres lead the majors with 15 total. Other bright spots offensively are Bethancourt .357 and Aybar .353.

Record: 6-3
Old 06-03-2017, 12:38 PM   #18
BYU 14
Coordinator

Let's make a deal.

I finally decide to go all in on bringing Todd Frazier over to get a more consistent bat than Schimpf's between Myers and Renfroe in the lineup.

I send 3B Schimpf (28), minor league 2B Jose Pirela (27) and SP Colin Rea (26) to the White Sox for 3B Todd Frazier.

This makes sense because Frazier is a significant upgrade at 3B, plus he murders left handed pitching and is a good fit for Petco. He can protect Myers in the lineup and teams won't exactly pitch around him to get to Renfroe, if Hunter continues on his current tear. Gives us a very solid middle of the order.

Rea pitched great in his first start, but has an 8-7 career mark and a career ERA around 4.50. I can move Weaver into the rotation and get the same production over the course of a season. The only advantage Rea has here is age, so I am fine letting him go. Pirela was sandwiched between two of our better prospects at 2B in minors (Auaja and 19 yr old Urias) so letting him go has no impact whatsoever. The downside is, the farm is pretty bare in terms of 3B prospects and Frazier may be hard to keep. I will target this position in the draft.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #19
BYU 14
Coordinator

Game 10 at Colorado

Padres 5-14-0
Rockies 6-7-0
W-Lyles 1-1, L-Buchter 0-1
2B
SD - Jankowski (1)
COL - LeMahieu (1), Arenado (2), Parra (1), Valaika (1), Reynolds (2)
HR
SD - Frazier (1)

For a brief moment I look like a genius when Todd Frazier goes deep in the top of the 10th to give us a 5-4 lead, but Mauer blows the save when he walks Blackmon, who steals and scores on an Arenado single. Colorado made the most of their hits, with 5 of 7 going for extra bases, with 6 walks by San Diego hurlers not helping. The winning run crossed on a sacrifice fly, when Wolters scored from f@#king second base when the throw in got away form the cutoff man and we lose 2 of 3 to the Rockies! Off to the ATL next.

Record: 6-4
Old 06-04-2017, 05:23 PM   #20
BYU 14
Coordinator

Game 11 at Atlanta

Padres 4-11-0
Braves 5-12-0
W-Dickey 1-1, L-Cahill 2-1
2B
SD - Jankowski (2)
ATL - Inciarte (2), Phillips (4)
HR
SD - Bethancourt (3), Aybar (1)

This was really the Padres against Tony Phillips as he eviscerated us going 5 for 5, with 2 runs scored and 2 RBI. Trevor Cahill had a horrible outing after two lockdown starts, walking 6 and pitching from behind in the count all day. Hopefully just an aberration. Both teams left a lot of runners on base and Dickey and his damn knuckleball had me looking stupid at the plate most of the game.

Record: 6-5

This team is developing a penchant for close games as 7 of 11 have been decided by a single run (we are 3-4 in such games)

Where we stack up in a few statistical categories.

Average: .264 (16th)
Runs: 45 (20th)
HR: 18 (4th)
SB: 8 (4th)
ERA: 3.98 (11th)
Hits allowed: 98 (10th)
HR allowed: 4 (1st)
K: 79 (23rd)
Old 06-14-2017, 10:22 PM   #21
BYU 14
Coordinator

Game 12 at Atlanta

Padres 7-11-0
Braves 6-11-0
W-Stammen 2-0, L-Johnson 0-1, Save Mauer (4)
2B
ATL - Inciarte (3), Adams (6), Kemp (2), Peterson (4), Suzuki (2)
3B
SD - Solarte (1)
HR
SD - Aybar (2), Dickerson (2)

Some late inning heroics snap our 3 game skid when Alex Dickerson slugs a 2 out, 2 run HR in the top of the 9th after Manuel Margot barely kept the inning alive with a seeing eye single. This one was back and forth the entire night as Aybar's 2nd round tripper (a 3 run shot) erased a 2-0 deficit in the 5th, but Christian Friedrich couldn't hold the lead in a game that was tied at 4 and again at 5. Wil Myers also added 2 RBI for the good guys, while Hunter Renfroe continued his recent woes, fanning 4 times. Inciarte had 3 hits and scored twice for the Braves.

Record: 7-5

Note: Caught the Padres 9-3 win over Cincy Monday while we were in San Diego. I always leave wishing the Padres would put a team together, as Petco is one of the most beautiful ballparks in the league. Great place to watch Baseball.