Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #351
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Madden franchise mode update:

hxxp://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1168111p1.html

Full article is from IGN and is in the spoiler tags, but the actual website has pictures and better formatting.

Spoiler
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #352
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
They have just lunched the website for the upcoming "Game of Thrones" PC Game, which is called: "A Game Of Thrones - Genesis".

A Game Of Thrones - Genesis

It's a real time strategy game.

The current release date is: July 30, 2011.

I am not excited by this game. I hope it's good, but I will most certainly be waiting for some reviews from some trusted sources before buying it.
I'll check reviews, too, to see if there are any dongs in it.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #353
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I'll check reviews, too, to see if there are any dongs in it.

FYI: Watching True Blood, Season 2, episode 7. Saw a dong in it for you. Shows up real early-like.

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #354
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

MW3 FB page just launched a few minutes ago, along with a :35 trailer. Looks like Makarov has made it to NYC. No game play footage, just some stylized stuff with character voiceovers.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #355
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
MW3 FB page just launched a few minutes ago, along with a :35 trailer. Looks like Makarov has made it to NYC. No game play footage, just some stylized stuff with character voiceovers.

I wonder what happens if the IW guys win their lawsuit, since one of their claims is that, contractually, they hold the rights to anything "Modern Warfare". Does Activision scrub the game? Can they just rename it?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #356
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I wonder what happens if the IW guys win their lawsuit, since one of their claims is that, contractually, they hold the rights to anything "Modern Warfare". Does Activision scrub the game? Can they just rename it?

Based on what's out there (or what I've seen of it rather), I have a difficult time imagining a scenario where they're going to win anything. Activision are almost certainly complete jerks to work for, but that isn't generally actionable.

If you watch the trailer though, there's a brief reference to "America" with a pseudo-Cyrillic backwards "e". I suspect that's all or part of a revised if one became necessary.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #357
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I bought the Portal 2 + Portal combo pack (having never played the original). Late this afternoon, I was on Level 17 of Portal 1, and all of a sudden I started feeling nauseous. Ugh! I actually got sick playing the game. This has only ever happened to me at arcades playing the racing games with the large screens (which I never play anymore). I can't believe it. Makes me a bit worried about my Portal 2 investment. I was probably playing for 30-40 minutes at that point. Maybe smaller play sessions are in order for that game.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #358
Radii
Head Coach

ginger pills help me immensely with motion sickness in video games, give it a try.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #359
samifan24
Pro Starter

Is anyone else picking up LA Noire this week?
Old 05-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #360
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post

Picking it up tomorrow night.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #361
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I pre-ordered it from Amazon.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:58 PM   #362
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Can't wait to get it. Pre-ordered.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:12 PM   #363
Groundhog
Coordinator

Any early reviews of LA Noire around the web, or initial impressions? I'm intrigued, though I don't know if it's my kind of game.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #364
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Any early reviews of LA Noire around the web, or initial impressions? I'm intrigued, though I don't know if it's my kind of game.

Only one I saw was from The Guardian in the UK that subsequently was pulled. Called the game near perfect though and gave it a 5/5.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:14 AM   #365
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Will be buying LA Noire as a birthday present for myself.

Can't wait to see John Noble in it.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:08 AM   #366
Comey
College Starter

Getting it for the girlfriend and myself. She's looking forward to it as much as I am.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #367
Izulde
Head Coach

LA Noire is out this week? Hmm, DA 2 or LAN?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #368
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'll pick up LA Noire as soon as I can finally finish up a few games I've been trying to find time to play.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #369
DeToxRox
Head Coach

LA Noire gets a 9 from Destructoid and an 8.5 from IGN.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:36 PM   #370
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Anybody know if the 24 hour super Wal-Marts stock their new release games right at midnight. I'll be up writing a paper pretty late and if I could head to wal-mart and get it I'd do that.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #371
RainMaker
General Manager

I've never found them to. Might call around to some local Gamestops and see if they'll be open.

Mine just shipped, looking forward to hitting this later in the week.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #372
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I'll pick up LA Noire as soon as I can finally finish up a few games I've been trying to find time to play.

With sports games I'm psychotic. All are day one purchases. With gaming systems, I always try to hold off and then get sucked in and buy them a couple of weeks in.

With standard games, I'm actually pretty good. I bought and started Fallout 4 this weekend. I've been playing Zelda: Twilight Princess on my DS when I'm traveling and I'm busy playing The Show when I'm not doing the other two.

I'm really looking forward to LA Noire, but I won't be playing it for a couple of months.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #373
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I've never found them to. Might call around to some local Gamestops and see if they'll be open.

Mine just shipped, looking forward to hitting this later in the week.

I tried to get cute and showed up a half hour before they closed. Picked up Portal 2 and said I'd like to pay for L.A. Noire and pick it up tomorrow or something while hoping they would just slip it in my bag Didn't work

But they did say they'll be there at midnight so I'll probably just run up there in a few hours.

ps. Never played Portal 1 so I don't know why i picked up Portal 2 other then I've been hearing a lot about it. Maybe I should buy the first one on the PSN before I start the second one?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #374
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
With sports games I'm psychotic. All are day one purchases. With gaming systems, I always try to hold off and then get sucked in and buy them a couple of weeks in.

With standard games, I'm actually pretty good. I bought and started Fallout 4 this weekend. I've been playing Zelda: Twilight Princess on my DS when I'm traveling and I'm busy playing The Show when I'm not doing the other two.

I'm really looking forward to LA Noire, but I won't be playing it for a couple of months.

I'm probably with you there.. I just don't have the gaming time right now to fully dig myself into what should be a VERY engrossing game.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #375
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I just got the shipping notice that LA Noire is going to be delivered tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm in Houston until Friday.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #376
DeToxRox
Head Coach

L.A Noire probably has the coolest introduction to a game I have played.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:31 PM   #377
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I can't wait. Sitting here as it installs. LETS GO DAMN IT
Old 05-17-2011, 05:41 AM   #378
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I tried to get cute and showed up a half hour before they closed. Picked up Portal 2 and said I'd like to pay for L.A. Noire and pick it up tomorrow or something while hoping they would just slip it in my bag Didn't work

But they did say they'll be there at midnight so I'll probably just run up there in a few hours.

ps. Never played Portal 1 so I don't know why i picked up Portal 2 other then I've been hearing a lot about it. Maybe I should buy the first one on the PSN before I start the second one?

We had a midnight open for LA Noire today. All of two people showed up. It was hilarious.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:22 AM   #379
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Yea, I arrived to get mine at 12:10 and I was the only one there and there were four people working. They gave me a 360 copy and I didn't notice till I got home. When I went back I was the only one there again.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #380
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post

You can certainly play Portal 2 without having played Portal 1. However, Portal 1 is a good game in its own right, and worth a playthrough. It will get you used to portal-thinking, etc, plus some of the story in Portal 2 will make a bit more sense (all the references to "You monster", for example).

Portal 2 does far more with the dialog and storytelling as payoff for completing the puzzles, so it may spoil Portal 1 for you if you play it first then go back to Portal 1.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:43 AM   #381
DataKing
Pro Rookie

What, no LA Noire First Impressions thread? Slackers.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #382
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Here are some from Bill Abner:

L.A. Noire: 4 Hours In | No High Scores
Old 05-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #383
RainMaker
General Manager

Got LA Noire at work with me. Any idea why it's 3 discs? Am I going to be swapping them out all the time?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #384
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Abner's notes very quickly hit on why this game held no real appeal to me (in terms of playing it) from very early on

Quote:
Much like Mafia II was an "open world" game, so is LA Noire. In other words, it isn't.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #385
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

open world > fake open world

fuck that. be one or the other.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #386
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't get why game makers are so opposed to open world games. It's not like they have trouble selling.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #387
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Got LA Noire at work with me. Any idea why it's 3 discs? Am I going to be swapping them out all the time?

The game is 25gb and fills up a blu ray disk. It's massive.

Rockstar said you won't be swapping disks very often. Just to advance to new sections of the game.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #388
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't get why game makers are so opposed to open world games. It's not like they have trouble selling.

I imagine it's a shit-ton more work. Like significantly.

Which is fine - not every game has to be open world. But if your game isn't then don't try to sell it/make it seem like it is.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #389
mckerney
Coordinator

http://www.gog.com/en/news/gog_com_s...ssic_ea_titles

"With today’s announcement three widely known and much awaited brands get the revival treatment from GOG.com: Wing Commander: Privateer, Dungeon Keeper and Ultima Underworld 1+2.

We will be adding more than 25 titles from EA over the next few months, so the games will be unveiled gradually, but we can already reveal that the next upcoming titles from this huge deal are: Crusader: No remorse, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and Magic Carpet."

Hooray!

"While the agreement between Electronic Arts and GOG.com brings back many acclaimed and well known franchises, it doesn’t include the much anticipated System Shock or Syndicate series at this time."

Booo!
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #390
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Carmegeddon is coming back!

The Escapist : News : Carmageddon: Reincarnation Roars to Life
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #391
RainMaker
General Manager

Anyone picking up inFamous 2?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #392
mckerney
Coordinator

As someone who's played a lot of Puzzle Quest and solitaire Runespell: Overture is a game I'm planning to pick up.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #393
mckerney
Coordinator

Early word on Duke Nukem Forever is that it is really bad. Not surprising after the demo played like a crappy console shooter.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #394
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Did anyone really expect Duke to be good? That said I still have it pre-ordered and can't wait to play it.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #395
Atocep
Coordinator

It makes me wonder what kind of shape it was in when Gearbox got it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #396
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Did anyone really expect Duke to be good? That said I still have it pre-ordered and can't wait to play it.

I was naively hoping. I had pre-ordered it, just requested a refund. My understanding is that's allowed on pre-ordered games that have yet to be released.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #397
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I will say I've never had a very high opinion of Gearbox. So yes, Gearbox being ok with releasing a polished turd under their name while 3d Realms would rather it die does not surprise me.

Last edited by jeff061 : 06-11-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #398
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post

I wasn't expecting it to be great but hoped it might be a decent game. Just about everything I've read on it though has the game being brutally bad as and FPS while being a terrible Duke Nukem game.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #399
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I will say I've never had a very high opinion of Gearbox. So yes, Gearbox being ok with releasing a polished turd under their name while 3d Realms would rather it die does not surprise me.

from all of the shorts I've seen, isn't gearbox made up of the same guys that were with 3d realms?
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #400
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Not recently. Pitchford did in the 90's.