Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-02-2017, 07:29 PM   #251
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Roy Hibbett & Spencer Hawes to Milwaukee for the worse Plumlee. Makes sense for both - despite the hype Milwaukee's a couple years and a player or two away from contention & this gives them more financial flexibility going foward, while Charlotte will have no cap room even with Hawes/Hibbert expiring soon (and have been atrocious with Cody Zeller out.)

How does it help Charlotte then, unless you're a believer that the worst Plumlee can become better than a 10 minute reserve?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-02-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #252
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
How does it help Charlotte then, unless you're a believer that the worst Plumlee can become better than a 10 minute reserve?
Because he should be marginally better than Hawes/Hibbert & they really want to be a lower-end playoff team these next couple years? Charlotte's never had the best long term strategy.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:22 PM   #253
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

The only thing I could think of is if they really don't want to have Spencer Hawes around for next year when he has a player option. He's never struck me as the hardest worker so that could very well be the case. They have somewhat gone away from always picking the Duke/UNC guys over the past few years but maybe that's part of it too. Also, there's a Plumlee even worse than him who played for a handful of games for the Knicks this year. I think that's the last of them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I will never get tired of the Warriors beating the Clippers like this.

The Clippers put up a nice fight of it tonight without Chris Paul, but yeah, the Warriors definitely get really pumped up to play the Clippers regardless of where they stand as a legitimate challenger. I will always remember being at 3 of the 4 Clippers home games the year they beat the Warriors in the playoffs (the last West team to do so for the foreseeable future) and thinking it was for the grace of Andrew Bogut being injured (David Lee just got abused by Blake Griffin, and Draymond Green apparently wasn't ready quite then despite the fact that he played at an All-Star/All-NBA level the following season) and Mark Jackson insisting on doing things like constantly posting up Klay Thompson on JJ Redick that made the series . One positive thing to say about these Paul-less Clippers who are trying to get Blake Griffin back into rhythm is that Austin "worst contract of the entire offseason" Rivers has averaged 17 points per game on 42% three-point shooting (while typically having to guard the other team's small forward) in the 19 games he's started.

Last edited by nol : 02-03-2017 at 01:49 AM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:14 PM   #254
whomario
Pro Starter

you know a guy can dunk when he gets invited despite playing so little that you can´t find a good pic of him in uniform
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 02-03-2017 at 03:16 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:36 AM   #255
wustin
College Prospect

Time to see which team overpays Yogi after his contract is up and regrets it
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:47 AM   #256
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
Time to see which team overpays Yogi after his contract is up and regrets it

He is shooting around 35 percent so far. Why would anyone think about overpaying him? Plus he is going to sign with Dallas through the end of the season and I am sure he will get league minimum. His PER on the season is 9.9. What am I missing here? Why would a team even consider over paying for him?
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:19 AM   #257
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
He is shooting around 35 percent so far. Why would anyone think about overpaying him? Plus he is going to sign with Dallas through the end of the season and I am sure he will get league minimum. His PER on the season is 9.9. What am I missing here? Why would a team even consider over paying for him?

Dallas can only offer a minimum through two years. Teams with cap space can just offer above what Dallas offers if they're interested.

$525,093 is the most Dallas can give him for the remainder of the year.

edit: He dropped 32 on Portland tonight with 9 3-pointers. 4th day of his contract. Kyrie Irving and Dame Lillard were a combined 11/41 against Dallas with Yogi on the team. Something right is obviously happening and once those 10 days are up, he's going to be getting a lot of offers.

Last edited by wustin : 02-04-2017 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:52 AM   #258
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dallas can only offer a minimum through two years. Teams with cap space can just offer above what Dallas offers if they're interested.

$525,093 is the most Dallas can give him for the remainder of the year.

edit: He dropped 32 on Portland tonight with 9 3-pointers. 4th day of his contract. Kyrie Irving and Dame Lillard were a combined 11/41 against Dallas with Yogi on the team. Something right is obviously happening and once those 10 days are up, he's going to be getting a lot of offers.

He is playing 35+ minutes because Harris, Williams, and Barea are all out. His counting stats look ok because of that I guess. Brooklyn dropped him earlier in the year so I am sure other teams will realize this. I dont know maybe some crazy team will throw a big offer his way but its hard to fathom a team making such a hasty decision on an unproven undrafted rookie.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:59 AM   #259
whomario
Pro Starter

Rick Carlisle is one hell of a coach.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:25 AM   #260
TroyF
Coordinator

OK, so we are 6 pages into the NBA thread and about at the all star break and there is a guy I keep wanting to mention and always seem to forget about doing it. After last night, it is time I get this out there.

If you have not watched Nikola Jokic play the game of basketball, you are doing yourself a massive disservice. Watch this quick video as evidence:

NIKOLA JOKIC TOP 10 PLAYS - YouTube

He is one of the best players in this league on offense. He just finished a month where he went 24/11/5 at 61% shooting. He did that in 30 minutes a game.

I'm FAR more excited as a Nuggets fan about the Nikola Jokic era than the Carmelo Anthony one.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #261
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

The best team in the East is now in 3rd place and still climbing.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 01:45 PM   #262
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
He is playing 35+ minutes because Harris, Williams, and Barea are all out. His counting stats look ok because of that I guess. Brooklyn dropped him earlier in the year so I am sure other teams will realize this. I dont know maybe some crazy team will throw a big offer his way but its hard to fathom a team making such a hasty decision on an unproven undrafted rookie.

Well if he keeps it up and other teams try to poach him Dallas would have to move Williams and Bogut to offer him more than the minimum exception. It works out for them anyways.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:49 PM   #263
wustin
College Prospect

dola

welp

Last edited by wustin : 02-04-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #264
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
OK, so we are 6 pages into the NBA thread and about at the all star break and there is a guy I keep wanting to mention and always seem to forget about doing it. After last night, it is time I get this out there.

If you have not watched Nikola Jokic play the game of basketball, you are doing yourself a massive disservice. Watch this quick video as evidence:

NIKOLA JOKIC TOP 10 PLAYS - YouTube

He is one of the best players in this league on offense. He just finished a month where he went 24/11/5 at 61% shooting. He did that in 30 minutes a game.

I'm FAR more excited as a Nuggets fan about the Nikola Jokic era than the Carmelo Anthony one.

I'm pretty sure we have mentioned him. And yea he has been awesome.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #265
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Like Solomon Hill, lol
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:32 PM   #266
wustin
College Prospect

Zach Lavine tore his left ACL, done for the season.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #267
miami_fan
Coordinator

Terrible news for Zach and the T-Wolves.

On a much less significant note, if this had to happen, I am glad it happened during the game. The hot take machine would have been unbearable if it happened during the dunk contest or something.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:10 PM   #268
Atocep
Coordinator

Only 3 first round picks from the 2016 draft are playing above replacement level so far this season. This is a historically bad class. I think Simmons' floor is above average player so he should make it look a bit better in time.

It really sucks to see that happen to LaVine. It's going to be interesting to see where the TWolves go from here. I don't think LaVine and Wiggins can coexist unless one takes a step forward in an area other than scoring. Neither plays defense and neither does much of anything other than put the ball in the basket.

Despite the high draft picks and guys with talent, I'm still not sure they have a building block other than KAT.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:12 AM   #269
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

My poor friend who is a Kings fan was going to be up in Sacramento this weekend. He decided to go to the first night of a back-to-back against Phoenix rather than the second night of a back-to-back against Golden State.

Of course, Phoenix beats them with a buzzer-beater last night and they hold off Golden State in overtime tonight.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #270
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Marcus Smart is creatively dirty.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:13 AM   #271
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Did Kelly Olynyk lose a bet where the stakes were the loser had to glue his pubes to his face?
Old 02-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #272
Atocep
Coordinator

Ajinca and a 1st to the Sixers for Okafor is in the works.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:06 PM   #273
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Ajinca and a 1st to the Sixers for Okafor is in the works.
2018 1st, not this draft is the rumor. That's probably the best possible fit for Okafor - if he can't make it work next to AD covering up all his faults, time to accept his destiny as a 2nd unit scorer like Al Jefferson in the Charlotte years.

Philly's getting to be hilarious, and they're starting to run into the same problem Boston is where they simply can't use all the picks they've accumulated. 7 1st round picks on rookie deals, plus Korkmaz overseas, and will have 2 1st rounders in every draft until 2020, not to mention the plethora of 2nd's. Great job by Colangelo!
Old 02-06-2017, 06:12 PM   #274
Groundhog
Coordinator

I think that's a good situation for Okafor if it pans out.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:22 PM   #275
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'm excited for the 2025 Philadelphia Sixers!

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:11 PM   #276
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Bron Bron needs to get that tear out of his eye.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:53 PM   #277
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
IF Joel Embiid stays healthy they're gonna be good long before then, & possibly as soon as next year. Any bid on KCP will probably be matched, but say, Jrue Holiday would be a great fit, and Philly can really afford to overpay by a few million since they have so many rotation players on rookie deals. Heck, everyone assumes the Celtics are the only possible Jimmy Butler destination, but if he's still on the Bulls at draft time & Philly does get 2 top 10 picks (i.e. the Lakers don't hit the lottery and save their pick) they'll have the assets if they want to push some chips in.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 02-06-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #278
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Cavs-Wizards is just insane right now. Both teams are playing great ball.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:46 PM   #279
rjolley
College Starter

I was hoping the Bulls could put some pieces together to get Okafor to Chicago with Butler. May not fit Hoiberg's system, but he needs to go anyway...
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:15 AM   #280
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Otto Porter is getting maxed out, right?
Old 02-07-2017, 01:22 AM   #281
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Otto Porter is getting maxed out, right?

Yep. He's a still developing 3 and D guy who seems to get better by the week.

If Ian Mahinmi can get healthy enough to be part of the post rotation down the stretch, specifically to be the rim protector the Wiz desperately need, then these two teams are the finalists in the east and it could go either way.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:38 AM   #282
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't really like the Morris turd, but John Wall makes the Wizards worth watching. John Wall is probably 6inches taller than you'd expect a player of his quickness to be.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:42 AM   #283
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Has there ever been a non-disappointing NBA trade deadline?

Every year, it seems like there are about 10 possible trades that the fans and media identify that make sense and would shake things up and make them more fun.

And every year, we end up with some random 7th man traded for a 2nd round pick as the big trade of the day.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #284
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

Guess someone hasn't been paying attention. Embid is developing incredibly well. They have other young guys playing decent and the #1 pick still hasn't hit the floor this year. Combine that with a ton of draft assets remaining and cap space galore? A lot of team would love to be in the Sixers position now.

Injuries could derail them, but other than that they are on the way to being pretty good within the next couple of years. If Embid stays healthy and they have a good offseason, they are going to be top four in the eat next year IMHO.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:19 PM   #285
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Yep. He's a still developing 3 and D guy who seems to get better by the week.

If Ian Mahinmi can get healthy enough to be part of the post rotation down the stretch, specifically to be the rim protector the Wiz desperately need, then these two teams are the finalists in the east and it could go either way.
Love the optimism, but they're still 8-14 on the road...
Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Has there ever been a non-disappointing NBA trade deadline?

Every year, it seems like there are about 10 possible trades that the fans and media identify that make sense and would shake things up and make them more fun.

And every year, we end up with some random 7th man traded for a 2nd round pick as the big trade of the day.
It's been better than the NHL trade deadline recently. 2 years ago f.e. had the great Point Guard shuffle. The NBA's rules + teams being smarter about protecting 1st round picks have pushed some of the bigger blockbusters to the NBA draft & early offseason when teams have more cap space.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #286
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Love the optimism, but they're still 8-14 on the road...

4-1 in their last 5 road games, including a 26 point win at Atlanta who is a half game behind them in the standings. They were 2-8 and now they're 30-21.

It's clear that the first part of the season was adjusting to a new coach, new system, and 8 new players.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 02-07-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #287
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That Wizards Cavs game was pretty awesome. Dudes nailing 3s everywhere and then answers on the other side of the court. Hate away but I think if they could move a few pieces for Melo, this Wizards team could win it all. Something like a Morrii and maybe Oubre?
Old 02-07-2017, 05:11 PM   #288
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

The Wizards are already too thin in the post. Morris would have to be moved as part of a package for a better 4/5.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:33 PM   #289
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
I was hoping the Bulls could put some pieces together to get Okafor to Chicago with Butler. May not fit Hoiberg's system, but he needs to go anyway...

Okafor is pretty bad and the opposite of what you should look for in a Center these days.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:51 PM   #290
Groundhog
Coordinator

Okafor needs to be next to someone who makes up for his defensive deficiencies, which is why I think it could work with New Orleans and Davis.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:32 PM   #291
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Okafor is pretty bad and the opposite of what you should look for in a Center these days.
I think the defensive limitations are primarily athletic as well, and not just concentration/effort based (though those are evident and hopefully would improve with a change of scenery and general maturity), but he's a pretty legit offensive center. You can at least build a strong bench unit centered around a post guy that demands double teams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
That Wizards Cavs game was pretty awesome. Dudes nailing 3s everywhere and then answers on the other side of the court. Hate away but I think if they could move a few pieces for Melo, this Wizards team could win it all. Something like a Morrii and maybe Oubre?
Why do people keep thinking teams with great PG's (Clippers, Cavs, Wizards) and heavily dependent on 3's off ball movement should trade for a ball stopper like Melo? They have a good PG too, but a team that plays like Memphis seems like the type of contending team he'd fit in with better, and maybe the Knicks would be willing to roll the dice on Parsons recovering + some salary relief. If the Wizards are a real contender it's because Bradley Beal is playing at the level he has for the last month (and healthy), and a high usage player with worse defense than Porter/Morris is unnecessary and probably harmful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
4-1 in their last 5 road games, including a 26 point win at Atlanta who is a half game behind them in the standings. They were 2-8 and now they're 30-21.

It's clear that the first part of the season was adjusting to a new coach, new system, and 8 new players.
Oh, they're right there for #2 with Boston (who's on a 7 game win streak & 20-6 since Isaiah returned 2 months ago) & full strength Toronto, but just like those teams they still lost to Cleveland at home (and that was with JR Smith out & the rarely seen LeBron foul out).

Atlanta baffles me, since they get blown out in every loss, thus their negative point differential. (Same for Indiana that's somehow also on a 7 game win streak and only 1 game behind Washington.) But the last few losses by Atlanta were by 25 to the Jazz at home, 23 at Miami, 26 to Washington at home, 10 at home vs CP3-less Clippers, 23 at Detroit & 2 at home vs Boston sandwiched in the middle of 15 wins.

Speaking of surprising EC teams, since that atrocious game vs the Heat right after the blowup the Bulls have actually looked pretty good, including the last couple games with Butler out.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:13 PM   #292
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

While we're at it, the Heat are 2 games out of 8th in the East. This is apparently the longest winning streak ever for a team that was as far under .500 as they were.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:31 PM   #293
Atocep
Coordinator

If this trade for a 2018 first goes through for the Sixers and the Lakers don't give up their pick this year the Sixers will have the Lakers, the Kings, and the Pelicans 1st round picks along with their own.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #294
wustin
College Prospect

Lakers and Adam Silver will find a way to hand the organization Lonzo Ball. No way that won't happen. Even if the Lakers have pick #1 they'll pass on Fultz to get Ball. Too much pressure from the city, management, and Lonzo's dad to not take a Southern Californian talent.

Also UCLA's offense is almost identical to how Luke Walton wants his Lakers team to run.

Last edited by wustin : 02-07-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:46 PM   #295
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Lakers and Adam Silver will find a way to hand the organization Lonzo Ball. No way that won't happen. Even if the Lakers have pick #1 they'll pass on Fultz to get Ball. Too much pressure from the city, management, and Lonzo's dad to not take a Southern Californian talent.

Also UCLA's offense is almost identical to how Luke Walton wants his Lakers team to run.
LOL even Jim Buss isn't that dumb. I love watching Ball play, and I don't even mind the release because it's consistent & it goes in, but he has glaring question marks. Namely his below average quickness (for a starting NBA guard, not mortal human beings) and his inability to finish with his right hand right now. The 2nd is correctable, but there's a better chance he's the 4th PG taken and falls out of the top 5 than goes #1 over a healthy Fultz.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:58 PM   #296
wustin
College Prospect

I wasn't talking about from a BPA perspective. Ball's history, his background, his school, his fans, the city of LA. Objectively LA fans want Fultz, in their hearts everyone wants Ball to stay at home.

Also I think he pairs very well with Russell in the backcourt because he doesn't need the ball in his hands to thrive. The NBA is becoming positionless in the backcourt anyways. Walton is developing Ingram and Randle as playmakers, so he needs backcourt players to catch and shoot like Steph and Klay.

Last edited by wustin : 02-07-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:19 PM   #297
MrBug708
Head Coach

Lonzo Ball's little brother just dropped 92 in a game. He was 37/61 (61%) in the game.

I havent seen that Lonzo can't finish with his right hand. That's pretty weird for a guy who is right handed.

I don't know if there is much of a grassroots push to get Lonzo to the Lakers, at least here locally. It does make for a great media story however.

But I do agree they probably take Lonzo #1. He fits what Walton wants to do.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:57 PM   #298
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I wasn't talking about from a BPA perspective. Ball's history, his background, his school, his fans, the city of LA. Objectively LA fans want Fultz, in their hearts everyone wants Ball to stay at home.

Also I think he pairs very well with Russell in the backcourt because he doesn't need the ball in his hands to thrive. The NBA is becoming positionless in the backcourt anyways. Walton is developing Ingram and Randle as playmakers, so he needs backcourt players to catch and shoot like Steph and Klay.

I think every team needs that. Kind of a problem finding players like that however. I am not sure you can call Ingram a playmaker at this point. He averages less than 2 assists per game. Randle on the other hand looks like he is capable of making some plays passing the ball.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:07 AM   #299
wustin
College Prospect

Walton has had a few games where he started Ingram at PG and he's had Ingram play as the primary playmaker some stretches during games. He's a huge work in progress.

Last edited by wustin : 02-08-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:09 AM   #300
wustin
College Prospect

dola

for example

Lakers vs. Cavaliers - Box Score - December 17, 2016 - ESPN

It's only one game but he started as the point guard and almost had a triple double.

Last edited by wustin : 02-08-2017 at 12:09 AM.