Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-05-2021, 09:30 AM   #951
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
But that's the thing - if we're doing a tournament style playoff and Cincy wins its conference and goes undefeated, they should be in. Period.

The Atlanta Braves won fewer games than 11 other teams this year. It didn't matter in the playoffs. They won their division and were in the playoffs.

This is why we need to expand the CFP to make it as close as FB can get to the basketball, baseball, softball... heck, pretty much every other sport ... tournament eligibility. You have a set of automatic qualifiers and some at-large bids. That way at least one non-P5 gets a seat at the table and a chance to pull off what apparently everyone in the world thinks will be the biggest upset in the history of sports.

While I get your point, I am adamantly against watering down the regular season and making college football even more a minor league pro system. I hate that this is the direction the sport is going.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:44 AM   #952
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't understand how it's watering the regular season down. An SEC team can lose a game, not even win its DIVISION, and make a 4-team playoff. You can't get much more watered down than that.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:48 AM   #953
cuervo72
Head Coach

Nothing watered-down about Georgia taking on Charleston Southern next weekend!
Old 11-05-2021, 10:10 AM   #954
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
While I get your point, I am adamantly against watering down the regular season and making college football even more a minor league pro system. I hate that this is the direction the sport is going.

Right. That basketball tournament every March is really boring. No one cares at all since they expanded it.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:12 AM   #955
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Basketball can play 2 games in 2 days. Football cant.

besides, the regular season games in college basketball dont mean shit either. Unless you are a smaller school with little or no room for error. And then, yes, those games definitely matter. But does Gonzaga losing to Santa Clara in February mean anything? Nope.

A 16-game playoff field renders alot of games in the football schedule from here on out, pointless. Take Sparty. They could lose to tOSU and PSU and still be in, right? Or Michigan's loss last week? Doesnt matter. OU loses to Iowa State? Who cares. Yeah we'd be arguing over who is 16 -20 but whats the difference now?
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:36 AM   #956
bob
College Starter

I don’t get the argument. As a biased ND fan I should be saying Cincy is great in order to help ND look better and maybe still get in.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:02 PM   #957
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
A 16-game playoff field renders alot of games in the football schedule from here on out, pointless. Take Sparty. They could lose to tOSU and PSU and still be in, right? Or Michigan's loss last week? Doesnt matter. OU loses to Iowa State? Who cares. Yeah we'd be arguing over who is 16 -20 but whats the difference now?
The losses still will matter. Sparty could go from hosting a home game to having to travel a long distance to play on the road. They could go from playing lower ranked opponent at home, to playing Georgia between the hedges in that fist game. Those are some big differences. The margins of error are still going to be tight, and the only way to give yourself the best advantage is win every game. What shouldn't be is an undefeated team sitting at home while a one or two loss team is playing.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:16 PM   #958
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The losses still will matter. Sparty could go from hosting a home game to having to travel a long distance to play on the road. They could go from playing lower ranked opponent at home, to playing Georgia between the hedges in that fist game. Those are some big differences. The margins of error are still going to be tight, and the only way to give yourself the best advantage is win every game. What shouldn't be is an undefeated team sitting at home while a one or two loss team is playing.

Unless that undefeated team plays a glorified high school schedule.

What needs to happen is that we all stop pretending that there's any need for the Group of Whatever to be involved in the same level as the P5s.

Let Cincy can go be the powerhouse of the de facto I-AA and be done with it.

edit to add: And then the bottom of that tier can bitch about being left out. Yeah, C-USA, I'm looking at you.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-05-2021 at 02:36 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:27 PM   #959
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I don’t get the argument. As a biased ND fan I should be saying Cincy is great in order to help ND look better and maybe still get in.

Notre Dame is not getting in, they lost to fucking Cincinnati
Old 11-06-2021, 06:23 AM   #960
Thomkal
Head Coach

#21 (at least in the AP poll) Coastal Carolina travels to Georgia today to take on Georgia Southern at 6 pm today. I think they are having about the same weather there in Georgia-rainy and windy all day so it should be a factor in the game. Ga South had a winning record and won a bowl game last season, but this season they are struggling with just two wins, although they almost beat Louisiana this season, and coming off a 7 point loss to Georgia State last week,

Not much of a passing team, which the weather will certainly cause them to run even more. Coastal has to hope their sometimes shaky play on the road doesn't bite them again. They are favored by 17

Last edited by Thomkal : 11-06-2021 at 06:26 AM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 06:34 AM   #961
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs plays #17 Miss State today. I feel we can beat any team in the Top 10-25 so go into this game somewhat optimistic.

Our offense has been doing well. Our defense, which started the season so well, has really sucked. We definitely need more conference wins.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:52 AM   #962
Ksyrup

My daughter and her boyfriend are at GameDay. Got there at 4am.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-06-2021, 08:12 AM   #963
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
#21 (at least in the AP poll) Coastal Carolina travels to Georgia today to take on Georgia Southern at 6 pm today. I think they are having about the same weather there in Georgia-rainy and windy all day so it should be a factor in the game. Ga South had a winning record and won a bowl game last season, but this season they are struggling with just two wins, although they almost beat Louisiana this season, and coming off a 7 point loss to Georgia State last week,

Not much of a passing team, which the weather will certainly cause them to run even more. Coastal has to hope their sometimes shaky play on the road doesn't bite them again. They are favored by 17
Was it in this thread that I read the story about Georgia Southern asked Paul Johnson to come back and he declined?
Old 11-06-2021, 09:05 AM   #964
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Clay Helton reportedly to Ga Southern -- 5 yrs / $800k per year

Jon posted this earlier, but don't think we discussed any other coaches here?
Old 11-06-2021, 09:24 AM   #965
GrantDawg

Quote:
Jon posted this earlier, but don't think we discussed any other coaches here?
It was from Jeff Schultz on twitter. It is reference in this article:

Clay Helton hired at Georgia Southern: Ex-USC coach gets immediate chance to reinvigorate career - CBSSports.com

It appears Georgia Southern would have been willing to stick with the option-based offense if it could have landed the right coach. Former Georgia Tech, Navy and Georgia Southern head coach Paul Johnson, one of the option's modern faces, declined when approached by the school about a return, according to The Athletic's Jeff Schultz. Johnson won back-to-back NCAA Division 1-AA national titles at Georgia Southern in 1999 and 2000, and was also the program's offensive coordinator during a pair of titles in the 1980s.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-06-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-06-2021, 09:30 AM   #966
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Nothing watered-down about Georgia taking on Charleston Southern next weekend!
Georgia actually plays Tennessee next weekend, but I understand your confusion. /jk
Old 11-06-2021, 11:57 AM   #967
GrantDawg

DT Jalen Carter and Jordan Davis blocking on that goal-line play, and Zeus doesn't even get touched. That just seems unfair.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:20 PM   #968
GrantDawg

Another game without allowing a td for Georgia. Still didn't cover the spread.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2021, 02:52 PM   #969
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Another competitive miss for Nebraska, and it looks like Wake is about to lose.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 02:52 PM   #970
GrantDawg

Wake Forest just turned into a pumpkin.

Old 11-06-2021, 03:29 PM   #971
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Wake Forest just turned into a pumpkin.

I was fascinated by the "Would they really leave an undefeated ACC champion out of the playoff?" question that Wake Forest was going to make them answer.

Oh well.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 03:31 PM   #972
bob
College Starter

ACC network just reported 20-25 FSU players are out because of the Flu.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 03:39 PM   #973
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Tyler Van Dyke is for real, but the Canes played that one really sloppy and are lucky to survive.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 03:43 PM   #974
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Tyler Van Dyke is for real, but the Canes played that one really sloppy and are lucky to survive.

Lots of people look real against a Chad Thacker defense.

I'm pretty sure that is THE most inept son of a bitch I've ever seen involved in D1 coaching below the HC level in my life. He's "don't let him volunteer with 8 y/o league on Saturday morning" caliber.

And let's be honest, I'm not shy about declaring people out of their depth, to be THE worst is competing against a crowded field with me.
Old 11-06-2021, 03:50 PM   #975
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Well its now a 16 point favorite as QB McCall has been rules out. Backup has a lot of experience starting, so maybe this still goes well?
Old 11-06-2021, 03:50 PM   #976
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
ACC network just reported 20-25 FSU players are out because of the Flu.

Not true - they were wrong. 20-25 players were out at least one practice this week. But Jordan Travis is out and we're toast.

I applaud Milton's comeback from injury but he's backup HS QB level now. He's like when you have a stud QB out for a year with injury in FOF and when you go to view the roster the next season, his slashes have all dropped from 90s to 20s. It's brutal to watch. We have no chance to win, and the backup just went into the portal.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-06-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:43 PM   #977
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs up 13-7 vs Miss State. Way too many stupid penalties (but there was one for unnecessary roughness that was BS).

They scored in last 30 seconds and they get the ball in the 2H. So possibly a big momentum swing. Our defense has bent, a little worried about a collapse in 2H. But this game is a good test for them and, hopefully, a confidence booster.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:56 PM   #978
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Purdue doing it's darndest to keep the Big Ten out of the playoff.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:10 PM   #979
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

There needs to be a big upset every other week or so to keep things interesting.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:16 PM   #980
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post

The CFP "Goddamnit! Stop losing! If we let one Group of 5 team in, then the others will think they have a right to big money too! Our excuses are getting flimsier by the week!"
Old 11-06-2021, 05:17 PM   #981
GrantDawg

Michigan State is definitely on the clock.

Old 11-06-2021, 05:18 PM   #982
Ksyrup

FSU defender just faked an injury to force the refs to do their damn job. These guys are terrible.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:41 PM   #983
GrantDawg

TCU up by two over Baylor. It would be something for them to pull the upset after Patterson quit.

Old 11-06-2021, 05:49 PM   #984
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like a third straight unimpressive win for Cincinnati. They are going to have to do more than that. Texas A&M is on an impressive roll.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:01 PM   #985
Ksyrup

Good God Cincy.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:12 PM   #986
GrantDawg

Purdue the giant killer.

Old 11-06-2021, 06:28 PM   #987
cuervo72
Head Coach

Bittersweet. Son is probably about to party in West Lafayette. He does not know that his favorite cat (by far) unexpectedly died this afternoon.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:42 PM   #988
GrantDawg

Congrats Ed! Go pig suey!

Old 11-06-2021, 06:44 PM   #989
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs win 31-28, are 6-3 and now bowl eligible since 2016. Miss State missed a doable FG in the last 2 seconds.

I'll obviously take it but our defense is only passable. Looking forward to crack into Top 25 next week (pretty please). LSU, AL, and Mizzou to end the season.

Congrats to Purdue, UNC and TCU for their upsets.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:44 PM   #990
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Congrats Ed! Go pig suey!

Yeah baby!
Old 11-06-2021, 06:51 PM   #991
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa just changed QBs, 6 plays later we score a TD. FInally

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 06:56 PM   #992
Edward64
Head Coach

LSU is playing AL pretty well right now.

Looking forward to a good game (and an upset).
Old 11-06-2021, 07:33 PM   #993
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Bittersweet. Son is probably about to party in West Lafayette. He does not know that his favorite cat (by far) unexpectedly died this afternoon.

Sorry to hear that Cuervo
Old 11-06-2021, 07:34 PM   #994
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Hogs win 31-28, are 6-3 and now bowl eligible since 2016. Miss State missed a doable FG in the last 2 seconds.

I'll obviously take it but our defense is only passable. Looking forward to crack into Top 25 next week (pretty please). LSU, AL, and Mizzou to end the season.

Congrats to Purdue, UNC and TCU for their upsets.

Woot!
Old 11-06-2021, 07:50 PM   #995
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Sorry to hear that Cuervo

Thanks. We are...not looking forward to having this conversation with him.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:00 PM   #996
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks. We are...not looking forward to having this conversation with him.

Parenting never ends

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 08:07 PM   #997
Thomkal
Head Coach

Worries about the backup QB starting for Coastal was soon put to rest as the weather and Coastal's defense played their part in this one. Yet another blocked punt run in for a TD, INTs, fumbles, sacks, you name it. Coastal led 21-0 at the half and won 28-8 to move to 8-1!

Edit: It's looking like QB McCall might miss the rest of the season with an "upper body injury."

Last edited by Thomkal : 11-06-2021 at 08:20 PM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 08:15 PM   #998
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Unless that undefeated team plays a glorified high school schedule.

It's not a glorified high school schedule, there's simply no comparison between 18 year olds and 20-22 year olds in terms of physical maturity, experience, etc. But also, other sports manage to deal with this. NCAA basketball doesn't treat at 27-4 team the same in all conferences but they still have a possibility for schools from smaller conferences to get a decent seed in the tournament if they dominate. Football can do that too. There should be a middle ground between 'only record matters' and 'only these conferences matter'. You can discount a smaller-conference team's achievements without negating them entirely.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:15 PM   #999
Ksyrup

Dan Mullen has fallen so far so fast his ass is going to need a heat shield or he's going to disintegrate before the 4th quarter.
Old 11-06-2021, 08:27 PM   #1000
GrantDawg

How much rope does Dan Mullen have at this point?