Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-22-2021, 10:41 AM   #1201
RainMaker
General Manager

Thoughts on the Mullen firing? My brother is an alum and I guess there was a lot of anger over the recent losses. Especially to some below-average competition. But I sort of think it was a bit harsh.

They've been pretty damn good his first 3 years. And I think he did about as well as you can at Miss St. Sometimes whether it's injuries or you made the wrong pick at QB, things don't go your way for a season. I'm usually on the "fire the coach" bandwagon most of the time, but this one felt a little premature. I would have given him another year to see if this season was just a bump.

From what I remember, Dabo had a bad season early in his tenure at Clemson and was almost fired.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 12:19 PM   #1202
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah - I don't quite get it. Mullen looked like a top 10 or, at least, 20 coach coming into this season. Were things really that bad in Gainesville and not getting better? Or was this yet another school that thinks too highly of themselves, that they should never have a down season?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 12:24 PM   #1203
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Thoughts on the Mullen firing? My brother is an alum and I guess there was a lot of anger over the recent losses. Especially to some below-average competition. But I sort of think it was a bit harsh.

They've been pretty damn good his first 3 years. And I think he did about as well as you can at Miss St. Sometimes whether it's injuries or you made the wrong pick at QB, things don't go your way for a season. I'm usually on the "fire the coach" bandwagon most of the time, but this one felt a little premature. I would have given him another year to see if this season was just a bump.

From what I remember, Dabo had a bad season early in his tenure at Clemson and was almost fired.

2010, it was just his second full season, they went 6-7. They regressed from 2009, he thought he was getting fired. Got brought back and was nothing but up after that. At least until this year
Old 11-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #1204
RainMaker
General Manager

The other weird one this season was Gary Patterson. They've had a few mediocre/down years, but what are your expectations at TCU? He brought you up from the WAC to a Power 5 conference. You've had 3 top-10 finishes in the past decade.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:33 PM   #1205
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa is now a 1.5 point favorite since QB1 Martinez has been ruled out.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 02:34 PM   #1206
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Yeah - I don't quite get it. Mullen looked like a top 10 or, at least, 20 coach coming into this season. Were things really that bad in Gainesville and not getting better?
[/quote]

I can think of few cases where a coach seemed less willing and less interested and had lost a team more thoroughly than Mullen this year.

The mistake UF made might well have been not firing him sooner.

He made 2021 Dabo seem engaged.

edit to add: there's also the (lack of) recruiting, which ESPN talking heads weigh as the heaviest factor of all

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-22-2021 at 02:39 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 02:46 PM   #1207
bronconick
College Starter

Jimmy Lake and Nick Rolovich were both fired without ever coaching in an Apple Cup. Weird.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #1208
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: that Nebraska - Iowa line

Don't think that lasts much longer (if it isn't gone already), as Adrian Martinez just ruled out for the game
Old 11-22-2021, 03:40 PM   #1209
miami_fan
Coordinator

I talked with a Gator fan on Saturday before the game on Saturday. He described Mullen as Jim McElwain 2.0. Both seemed to only pick up on the A-hole trait of their former boss's personality. Neither were really cozy with the administration nor key boosters. Of course if you are winning at the level of Nick Saban and Urban Meyer that is fine.

It also seems like this is Florida's MO. Since Spurrier, the only coach who has gotten more than three years is Urban.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:55 PM   #1210
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
It also seems like this is Florida's MO. Since Spurrier, the only coach who has gotten more than three years is Urban.

There's a different magic number that's probably worth a look too though

Spurrier - most conference losses in a season = 2

(counting losses under interims, if any)

Zook 2004 = 4, fired
Meyer 2010 = 4, departed
Muschamp multiple = 5,5, and 4, fired
Mullen 2021 = 6, fired
Old 11-22-2021, 03:56 PM   #1211
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I talked with a Gator fan on Saturday before the game on Saturday. He described Mullen as Jim McElwain 2.0. Both seemed to only pick up on the A-hole trait of their former boss's personality. Neither were really cozy with the administration nor key boosters. Of course if you are winning at the level of Nick Saban and Urban Meyer that is fine.

This, but there is also the fact that he played footsie with the NFL last off season to get a raise and an extension. There were some boosters very unhappy with that, feeling like Florida is a designation job.

So, in summary:
1) Showed a lack of loyalty to the school
2) Was a general ass to administrators, boosters and press.
3) Poor recruiter
4) Seemed to completely loose the team this season
There was no way he was keeping that job. Rumor is Urban is going to bring him on staff.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-22-2021 at 03:56 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 04:01 PM   #1212
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I can think of few cases where a coach seemed less willing and less interested and had lost a team more thoroughly than Mullen this year.

The mistake UF made might well have been not firing him sooner.

He made 2021 Dabo seem engaged.

edit to add: there's also the (lack of) recruiting, which ESPN talking heads weigh as the heaviest factor of all

That makes more sense. If he's not recruiting well, that's a big problem.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:05 PM   #1213
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That makes more sense. If he's not recruiting well, that's a big problem.

He wasn't winning consistently (that word comes up a lot in discussion about his departure) when he had classes ranked in the top ten.

They're currently 22nd or 23rd best class for the next round, how did THAT figure to turn out?
Old 11-22-2021, 04:15 PM   #1214
RainMaker
General Manager

I thought he was decent the past few years. I guess it depends on what the expectations are for Florida (2nd tier SEC team?) and what direction they are trending with him. But each of his first 3 seasons they were arguably a top 10 team.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:45 PM   #1215
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I thought he was decent the past few years. I guess it depends on what the expectations are for Florida (2nd tier SEC team?) and what direction they are trending with him. But each of his first 3 seasons they were arguably a top 10 team.

With the talent in-state, the only reason they shouldn't be a routine national title contender is Nick Saban. Certainly anything beyond 2, 3 max, regular season losses shouldn't be happening.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:36 PM   #1216
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
With the talent in-state, the only reason they shouldn't be a routine national title contender is Nick Saban. Certainly anything beyond 2, 3 max, regular season losses shouldn't be happening.

This. They begrudgingly give that respect to Saban, not Alabama. The rise of Georgia under the leadership of Kirby Smart was much more irritanting to the guy I talked about earlier.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-22-2021, 05:55 PM   #1217
bob
College Starter

Saw this online and pretty much agree:

In no other industry would someone with Mullen’s track record be fired over one bad year, especially when there’s no sure-thing upgrade out there for Florida to go get. Mullen made New Year’s Six bowl games in each of his first three years and twice had the Gators ranked in the top-10 of the final poll. It would be almost impossible to imagine the next coach matching that production. If Mullen is fired, the probability is overwhelming that he will be replaced by someone worse.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:42 PM   #1218
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
If Mullen is fired, the probability is overwhelming that he will be replaced by someone worse.

Did you watch the beyond-dumpsterfire outings of the past month+?

They'd struggle to BE worse.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:03 PM   #1219
tarcone
Coordinator

Keegan Murray has 20 at the 8 minute break of the 1st half. Iowa leads 23-11.

Keegan Murray is amazing. Hits 3s and can drive and has guard skills at 6'9".

He can Guard all 5 positions as well.

Old 11-22-2021, 08:08 PM   #1220
Swaggs
Coordinator

Isn't this just the natural progression of these mega-conferences with unreasonable fan bases? There are going to be 16 teams in the SEC soon and probably six to eight of them think they should be playing for the championship every year. That's all well and good as the goal at the beginning of the season, but some of them are going to end up with 3 or 4 losses, even if they have really good seasons. It will be fun seeing Oklahoma and Texas in the mix.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:38 PM   #1221
Edward64
Head Coach

It will be fun. I like TX and OK joining the SEC and they won't have a problem being competitive after a transition period. They can recruit the talent. They obviously don't have the speed yet but it'll come.

The AL dominance over the past decade is abnormal and driven by a once-in-a-generation (actually probably once-in-two-generations) Saban. He will retire in next few years and there will be more parity/competitiveness then.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:15 PM   #1222
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I find the betting lines interesting. OSU was favored over MSU by 19.5. Obviously that proved not to be near enough. Now they're favored by 7-8 over Michigan. I think that's way too close ... I do think Michigan matches up better with them than MSU did, but as we saw Michigan is not 10 points or whatever better than the Spartans.

Public agrees with me and most of the betting action is Ohio State. They're either going to make or lose a ton of money on this one.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-23-2021 at 01:21 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:46 PM   #1223
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
It will be fun. I like TX and OK joining the SEC and they won't have a problem being competitive after a transition period. They can recruit the talent. They obviously don't have the speed yet but it'll come.

The AL dominance over the past decade is abnormal and driven by a once-in-a-generation (actually probably once-in-two-generations) Saban. He will retire in next few years and there will be more parity/competitiveness then.

I think it gets worse when Saban retires. It is excusable to lose recruits, games, titles to Nick Saban. You may not like it, but it is excusable. Once he is gone, so go the excuses for other coaches
Old 11-23-2021, 05:26 AM   #1224
Edward64
Head Coach

The Hogs are 14.5 favorites over Mizzou & looking forward to 8-4. Reading a site says root for Louisville to beat KY because that opens up interesting bowl possibilities so will be doing that also.

I really don't think Mizzou is a "rival" and wish we had someone else (one of the MS teams or LSU) but beggars can't be choosers. I think AR-TX would be great but TX-OK are better rivals.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:00 AM   #1225
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
and wish we had someone else (one of the MS teams or LSU) but beggars can't be choosers.

During college and the years afterwards, I would come home for Thanksgiving and fall asleep on my parents' couch that Friday afternoon, full of leftovers and watching LSU/Arkansas battle for the golden boot.

Even though the rivalry never really took off, it has kind of a nice place in my heart.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 11-23-2021 at 06:01 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:59 AM   #1226
GrantDawg

Old 11-23-2021, 08:30 AM   #1227
Edward64
Head Coach

Cute.

Here's hoping GA crushes them. But fair chance the Dawgs will choke again and/or AL rises to the occasion.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:06 AM   #1228
tarcone
Coordinator

I see the scenario where GA chokes or plays below standards so Alabama can win and the SEC has 2 teams. I know it is a conspiracy theory, but if it happened I would believe the theory.

Old 11-23-2021, 11:59 AM   #1229
bob
College Starter

I have friends convinced that if Alabama loses by 14 or less, they are going to make the playoff. I can't see how that's possible outside of absurd levels of chaos. They aren't going to have an immediate rematch by making Alabama #4, and it will be hard to believe them being #2 or 3 if they just got their 2nd loss and didnt' win the conference.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #1230
cuervo72
Head Coach

I can absolutely see the UGA loses a close game and they both get in scenario.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:20 PM   #1231
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think if Alabama loses a close game it's more likely than not they get in. The committee isn't going to devalue you them *that* much based on a close loss. I think a second loss should knock them out, but I don't think it will. Georgia I would shocked if they don't get it regardless of how much they lose by.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:21 PM   #1232
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I can absolutely see the UGA loses a close game and they both get in scenario.

I think GA is in regardless.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:30 PM   #1233
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I don't like rematches in the playoffs.

I'd be fine with a rule saying that a team is ineligible for the playoffs if it has lost to a team that would be seeded higher than it in the playoff.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:31 PM   #1234
bob
College Starter

Right, I think UGA would have to lose to GT and Alabama to miss, and honestly losing to GT should disqualify them.

I dont think Alabama gets in with two loses unless multiple of these happens:
- Ohio St beats Michigan and then loses in B10 championship (or other way around).
- Big 12 winner has two loses
- Cincy loses
- ND loses

PAC12 and ACC is out no matter what.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:32 PM   #1235
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

I'd be fine with a rule saying that a team is ineligible for the playoffs if it has lost to a team that would be seeded higher than it in the playoff.

So its better to lose to crappy teams than good ones?
Old 11-23-2021, 12:39 PM   #1236
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

If we're sticking with 4 teams, I'd be fine with a rule that says if you don't make your conference championship game, you're ineligible. With the obvious exception for independents who theoretically should be held to a higher standard. Yes, that is essentially an anti-SEC rule.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:39 PM   #1237
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

You'd rather see Georgia play Cincinnati instead of Alabama again? Not me man. Cincinnati gets smoked by either team.
Old 11-23-2021, 12:41 PM   #1238
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Yep. I don't like playoff rematches, but at the same time if we're going to have a playoff, there will situations where it's appropriate. Otherwhise in this case, Alabama could beat Georgia in a close game and then you'd have to say 'well, Georgia is out of the playoff' or 'Alabama just beat Georgia to win the SEC but we'll rank them below Georgia and not let them in anyway'. Neither one of those is sensible IMO.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-23-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:05 PM   #1239
GrantDawg

Quote:
Cute.

Here's hoping GA crushes them. But fair chance the Dawgs will choke again and/or AL rises to the occasion.
Dude. I have been so nice to your Hogs, and here you are again crapping on my Dawgs.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:17 PM   #1240
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Dude. I have been so nice to your Hogs, and here you are again crapping on my Dawgs.

I've been rooting for the Dawgs and really want to see AL toppled. Nothing would be better.

Just assuming the worst so I won't be disappointed ... defensive mechanism I learn from supporting the Hogs.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:21 PM   #1241
GrantDawg

Quote:
I've been rooting for the Dawgs and really want to see AL toppled. Nothing would be better.

Just assuming the worst so I won't be disappointed ... defensive mechanism I learn from supporting the Hogs.
I am just joking. I get it. I have said before until Georgia actually beats Alabama there is no reason to believe they will.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:05 PM   #1242
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
I have said before until Georgia actually beats Alabama there is no reason to believe they will.

I'm calling this your defense mechanism. I think there's lots of reason to believe they will. Bama might win, but if I were forced to bet a thousand dollars on the outcome of the game, it wouldn't be going to them.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-23-2021 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:08 PM   #1243
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm with GD. If I have to bet 1000, I'm absolutely putting it on Ala and Saban.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:13 PM   #1244
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

These people need to make a NFL channel.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:00 PM   #1245
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am just joking. I get it. I have said before until Georgia actually beats Alabama there is no reason to believe they will.

And they definitely won't beat Alabama only to lose to Cincinnati...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:09 PM   #1246
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
FWIW I am hoping that Cincy is undefeated and in the Top 4 by end of season. It would be great to see a Cinderella team win it all or, at least, put up a really good show.

I do lean towards SoS being a factor and Cincy has had it easy at 50 (Hogs are 14 and the Top 5 are owned by SEC teams as reference). Frankly, I think Cincy will be whupped against a GA or AL, but I'm willing to give them a chance.

There's been Power5 teams whupped in the playoffs also. So let's give Cincy a shot. If they get into the finals or win it all, that will shut down a lot of the critics about non-Power5. If they lose badly, that will shut down the proponents of the non-Power5.

Let's get it on.

Looks like #4 Cincy is in (unless there is lackluster performance/loss against East Carolina).

Quote:
The fourth edition of the College Football Playoff Rankings was released Tuesday night with Georgia remaining the No. 1 team in the nation. The rest of the top four saw a shakeup, however, with Ohio State jumping two spots to No. 2 and Alabama sliding down one to No. 3. With Oregon being blasted at Utah on Saturday, the Ducks fell out of the top four entirely with Cincinnati finally breaking through in the last slot.

Hogs fall 4 places to #25. Ain't going to complain.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:09 PM   #1247
GrantDawg

Well, they did beat Cincinnati last year.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2021, 09:48 PM   #1248
Edward64
Head Coach

Bill Napier is supposedly leading candidate for Florida job. I'd think he would be interested in LSU also. Don't know much about him but he's done well at Louisiana & wish him the best in joining the big leagues soon.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:47 AM   #1249
Edward64
Head Coach

Fun long weekend of games.

For optimal positioning for the Hogs and a nice bowl ... rooting for LSU to beat A&M, and Louisville to beat KY.

LSU is the key game and hopefully Ed & team will be really pumped up for it.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:06 AM   #1250
GrantDawg

Quote:
Bill Napier is supposedly leading candidate for Florida job. I'd think he would be interested in LSU also. Don't know much about him but he's done well at Louisiana & wish him the best in joining the big leagues soon.
My brother-in-law from Florida who is very sports connected said that it is Napier's job if he wants it. Everything hinges on LSU. He also said Lane Kiffin is in the mix, but the admin is not really wanting to go with someone that controversial after dealing with Dan Mullin's crap.
He also confirmed what I was speculating, that Dan Mullin's firing was because he set fire to every bridge he crossed, which allowed him zero leeway we he started losing. He also related a story of Mullin trying to ream the team during halftime of the Georgia game, and the team was arguing back at him. He had lost the team as well as the administration, fans, and press. The guy just imploded on himself. He is almost a lock to be OC in Jacksonville next year.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-26-2021 at 09:07 AM.