Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-30-2021, 11:40 AM   #1551
Swaggs
Coordinator

Three or four years ago, Shaw had a ton of NFL interest and he's also a Stanford alum. Between that and his early success (In his first six years, he won 11+ games five times and took Stanford to the Rose Bowl three times), I'd still say he is well worth it given the challenges at Stanford.

He'd have a new job in 24 hours if they fired him.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:45 AM   #1552
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Three or four years ago, Shaw had a ton of NFL interest and he's also a Stanford alum. Between that and his early success (In his first six years, he won 11+ games five times and took Stanford to the Rose Bowl three times), I'd still say he is well worth it given the challenges at Stanford.

He'd have a new job in 24 hours if they fired him.

Seems a bit like Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern. They're going to have some down years but the schools have realistic expectations. Be competitive and make a bowl game seems good enough for them.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:19 PM   #1553
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Now, Napier may be exactly what they need, but it feels like this was a done deal weeks ago and perhaps they misread who could be had.

Given the situation in Gainesville, they probably have a better chance rolling the dice with Napier (who I'm not sold on fwiw) than with anybody else that's moved.

The lack of recruiting emphasis by Mullen REALLY rankled folks there it seems. And that, along with insane levels of preparation, are pretty much Napier's calling card.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:45 PM   #1554
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

UK truly is the best FB job. Stoops just signed a 7 year extension and gets an extra year tacked on for each 7 win season.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:58 PM   #1555
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, "best." I feel like for some folks, best would just be whatever is secure for the longest.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:01 PM   #1556
Swaggs
Coordinator

There was an opinion piece in the Athletic, not too long ago, making the case for Kentucky football being the best job in the country for a lot of these reasons.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:45 PM   #1557
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sonny Cumbie from Texas Tech OC to La Tech HC
Old 11-30-2021, 01:50 PM   #1558
Ksyrup

Nebraska fired 2 coaches who were winning 9 games a year, and UK is going to automatically add years if Stoops gets to 7 wins. He basically has to win like 3-4 SEC games a year to meet that requirement. He's already the winningest coach in school history.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-30-2021 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:51 PM   #1559
Ksyrup

Did I miss Campbell to ND already?

EDIT - might be a ND knock off twitter handle I saw.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-30-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:14 PM   #1560
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He's already the winningest coach in school history.

Well, 2 wins short of Bear Bryant at the moment.

And 7th in winning pct among coaches with 20 games or more, the counting stats advantage from the longer seasons is significant when you're talking about only double-digits to move up the chart
Old 11-30-2021, 02:19 PM   #1561
Ksyrup

Ah, maybe I confused passing 50 wins with passing Bryant. Either way, it will happen by next year.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:34 PM   #1562
RainMaker
General Manager

Saw this from an old story about Kelly floating around. Forgot what a prick he was.

Last edited by RainMaker : 11-30-2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:02 PM   #1563
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
If UF is half as great a destination as they claim to be and have half the money from all their great donors as they claim, this shouldn't have been much of an issue.

Now, Napier may be exactly what they need, but it feels like this was a done deal weeks ago and perhaps they misread who could be had.
I don't think Florida is as good a designation as USC, and I think Napier is a better fit than Kelly. So, they probably got it about right.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 03:02 PM   #1564
Ksyrup

Apparently a 7am meeting, too.

Old 11-30-2021, 03:06 PM   #1565
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

He knows that it looks bad to not address the team. So he made sure to address the team.

Seems like a real prick's prick.

But he's making about $15,000,000/yr more than I am, so I guess it can pay to be a prick sometimes.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 03:13 PM   #1566
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Such is the respect/awe I have for Alabama that (1) Georgia has looked like the best team in the country all season, (2) Alabama needed to go to OT to beat Auburn last week, and (3) Georgia is favored by 6.5.

And I still figure that Alabama is going to win and it somehow won't even be close.

No logic. Just a healthy dose of conditioning from decades of Saban being Saban.
To be fair, there is no one better at preparing a team for one game than Saban. I suspect the team that plays Saturday in Atlanta will look nothing like the team that played at Auburn. He will throw his teams best shot. Kirby has to have his teamed primed for the punch, and if they get a lead they have to pour on the gas. If they let Alabama be within two scores going into the 4th quarter, Georgia is going to be in trouble.
Do I think Georgia is the better team? Yes. Does that mean they are going to win? Not necessarily.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:27 PM   #1567
GrantDawg

Old 11-30-2021, 03:34 PM   #1568
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I suspect the team that plays Saturday in Atlanta will look nothing like the team that played at Auburn.

What does this mean exactly?
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 03:50 PM   #1569
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
He knows that it looks bad to not address the team. So he made sure to address the team.

Seems like a real prick's prick.

But he's making about $15,000,000/yr more than I am, so I guess it can pay to be a prick sometimes.

Kelly is a noted prick in a profession filled with them, not a shocker at all.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 03:58 PM   #1570
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

I feel like this wouldn't bother the majority of college football players in 2021 besides having to go to the meeting at 7am. I feel like parents have been telling these kids since they were 5 to not trust anybody outside the family and that everyone is looking out for themselves. As far as the length of the meeting, how long does it take to walk into a locker room as say "Guys, it's $95 million."?

Maybe I am just too cynical.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:26 PM   #1571
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Kind of a shame with the timing. This still puts Fickell in a bind and he will be answering questions from not until the end of the season. I guess this was never quite this big a deal but now with the earlier signing period, it does not leave a bit of time between the end of the regular season and wrapping up the recruiting class. So Fickell will have to choose between hedging his answers and denying interest, his coaches will be distracted and worried about their futures, their recruiting class (I haven't checked, but I would assume it is pretty good by Cincinnati standards given their past few seasons) will have to decide to sign with the school versus opening things back up versus just waiting, and the current players will be distracted and worried about their futures. Quite a season for the Bearcats - getting into the Big 12 and potentially playing for the national championship and now, if they do win, they get to spend the next month wondering what their coach is going to do. Can't blame Notre Dame or Kelly for doing what is best for them, but it really puts a program like Cincy in a bad situation.

I read an article today saying that Kelly is trying to take his offensive and defensive coordinator with him, which makes sense but still seems a little unusual. It seems like one of the coordinators and a bunch of the staff is usually left in place to be caretakers until the new staff gets in. I can't find it in my heart to ever feel real sorry for Notre Dame, but this is going to be a mess.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:32 PM   #1572
Kodos
Resident Alien

I weep for ND!
Old 11-30-2021, 04:51 PM   #1573
GrantDawg

Can't quote on the phone Sovereignstar, but what that means they are going up be sharper and much more prepared than they were versus Auburn.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2021, 05:21 PM   #1574
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
(I haven't checked, but I would assume it is pretty good by Cincinnati standards given their past few seasons)

Ranked 30th by 24/7, that's up from the mid 30s to mid 40s of the past couple years but actually has 1 less 4* (2) than they had 2 years ago.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:17 PM   #1575
tarcone
Coordinator

Remember last week when me and Jon had a discussion about MSU resigning Tucker for that deal. Jon, this is why I said what I did. In 7 years that may not even be a top 30 salary.

8 wins a year and a warm weather bowl is the measuring stick for those programs.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

Last edited by tarcone : 11-30-2021 at 06:28 PM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:26 PM   #1576
JPhillips
General Manager

The CFP committee is setting up to screw Cincy with a Okie St win.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:31 PM   #1577
Ksyrup

And everyone knows it, which is why ND is willing to wait less than a week to name its new head coach.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:37 PM   #1578
Ksyrup

Agree 100% with this, and I didn't even have to watch that crapshow.

Old 11-30-2021, 06:44 PM   #1579
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Can't quote on the phone Sovereignstar, but what that means they are going up be sharper and much more prepared than they were versus Auburn.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I have that same annoying quote issue with Tapatalk on this board (but not other boards).
Old 11-30-2021, 07:13 PM   #1580
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I feel like this wouldn't bother the majority of college football players in 2021 besides having to go to the meeting at 7am. I feel like parents have been telling these kids since they were 5 to not trust anybody outside the family and that everyone is looking out for themselves. As far as the length of the meeting, how long does it take to walk into a locker room as say "Guys, it's $95 million."?

Maybe I am just too cynical.

Just to add this is doubly so with Kelly. He has a long enough track record of bolting for better offers that it is on the player for not doing some basic Google searches before committing.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:26 PM   #1581
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa will beat Michigan. Book it

Old 11-30-2021, 07:28 PM   #1582
tarcone
Coordinator

The last time Michigan was ranked #2, the nest week Michigan lost to Iowa.

Old 11-30-2021, 07:29 PM   #1583
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

You might wanna take the 11 points the books are offering with that bet. Or make someone give you 4-1.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:35 PM   #1584
tarcone
Coordinator

I wish MO passed the sports betting law. Stupid they havent. I may wander over to Illinois and bet 100 on Iowa.

KF oens JH

Old 11-30-2021, 07:39 PM   #1585
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:

Booked.

Double-booked.

Triple-booked.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 11-30-2021 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 07:43 PM   #1586
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post

Damn, I hope history doesnt repeat itself.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Old 11-30-2021, 07:44 PM   #1587
tarcone
Coordinator

By the way, I am the worlds worst gambler.

Old 11-30-2021, 07:44 PM   #1588
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Old 11-30-2021, 08:39 PM   #1589
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone

Well that depends on which Iowa team shows up. The team you thought they were the first half of the year, or the team you realized they were the second half of the year?

Quote:
Our 1st 6 games we consistently had short fields for the offense. How wiscy man played today is how Iowa played those 6 wins. You got the Purdue figured us out and now the blue print is out there and BF cannot adapt" version,

Quote:
Iowa finally proved to me that if they dont get turnover. they cant score.

Defense then exposed.

Quote:
Not much would make me more happy then seeing scUM lose. And I would love for it to be in the same fashion as the muffed punt for a TD with no time left.

Quote:
We have been exposed. I imagine we lose one or 2 more. Miss the B1G champ game and go to the outback. Same shit different year.

Quote:
B1G playoff game this weekend. If PsU loses I see 3 more losses. Iowa has no real games on the schedule after this.
(well, you were definitely right about the Penn State part)

Just a few selections. Just this year mind, sovereignstar v2 won already by going back further.

As for me, I think Michigan can lose this game but I don't think they will. A couple problems Iowa has; Michigan doesn't turn it over a lot (9 for the year, less than one per game, tied for 6th-fewest in the country), and Iowa has one of the worst offenses in the country going against another strong defense. So that doesn't really bode well. If Iowa gets off to a big early lead, they certainly can win.

Mostly it reminds of the '97 game. Tim Dwight doing Tim Dwight things, Tavian Banks nearly breaking a couple of big ones, and a Sam Sword pick at the end needed to preserve it. That is, a dangerous game, and one Michigan will highly regret if they lose, but one they should win.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-30-2021 at 08:40 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:56 PM   #1590
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Agree 100% with this, and I didn't even have to watch that crapshow.
CFP chair Gary Barta:
-- Doesn’t address Cincy viability (because there isn’t any).
— Kneecaps Notre Dame with no BK.

Translation:
1. UGA
2. Michigan
3. Alabama (if it’s close SECCG)
4. Ok State (if it wins), or Ohio State.

Search your soul, you know it’s true. pic.twitter.com/3QCcsFXExl
— Matt Hayes (@MattHayesCFB) December 1, 2021

If Cincy "only" beats Houston by 10 or whatever, that's all the cover they'll need. The icing on the cake will be when they put Bama in there at #3 after they lose to Georgia by "only" a TD. And ESPN will spend all their time talking about "should it be Oklahoma State or Cincinnati", completely glossing over the 2-loss Alabama team. But, hey, guys, it's the regular season and every loss matters or something.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:03 PM   #1591
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
KF oens JH

So did Paul Chryst until he got shit stomped by Michigan this year.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:53 PM   #1592
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Image might not work... my assessment of the playoff picture.

Main ideas - they've signaled that there's a long way from Oklahoma State to Baylor. They've left the Cincinnati/Oklahoma State question open to review next week. No path for Oregon, Ohio State or Mississippi. If Oklahoma State/Michigan/Cincinnati all lose, Baylor gets a longer look. They can keep Alabama and Georgia separated until the final.

I'm not sure about Michigan's chances. They have struggled when teams emphasize run defense. But can Iowa score enough?
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:22 PM   #1593
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Rice gets a commitment from cornerback Mohammed Bility (Dallas, TX)

Moh ... Bility.

Podcasts
Old 12-01-2021, 03:55 AM   #1594
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Spot on.

I see a Alabama, ND, Oregon, and Iowa playoff. This is the year to give the rarely and never haves to get to the playoffs to keep everyone in line.

I’ve got to give Tarcone some credit. It looks like the second sentence in this post might come to fruition.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:43 AM   #1595
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs are ranked #22 and fourth best in SEC (5th best in W-L record). With a bowl win we'll end up 16-19'ish. If only we beat Ole Miss in that shootout. Great season so far.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:25 AM   #1596
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa/Michigan comes down to who can run the ball and who can stop the run.

Our O Line has improved and we have gotten away a little from the zone run scheme and it has helped the line.

This is a game that will be similar to the Iowa/Mich. St. B1G championship game, I believe.

Old 12-01-2021, 10:03 AM   #1597
spleen1015
Coordinator

Not a fan of ND, but I think it would be cool if they somehow got into the CFP.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:34 AM   #1598
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Not a fan of ND, but I think it would be cool if they somehow got into the CFP.

Nah, I've seen that movie already and the horrid sequels. Give me Cincy and Okie Lite.

Last edited by HomerSimpson98 : 12-01-2021 at 10:35 AM.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:51 AM   #1599
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I've never understood punishing a team for what past versions of that team which involved different players did or didn't do. It's just a different version of 'Alabama should be in because they're Alabama, even though they haven't earned it this year'.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:40 AM   #1600
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Then we shouldnt reward a team for past versions of that team, some going back 30+ years
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote