Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-15-2007, 11:16 PM   #751
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
How "electrified" was the cage?

It was so juiced that on the two occasions when someone touched it, the lights in the arena flickered on & off

For a minute there, I wasn't sure whether The Black Scorpion was going to make an appearance, or the Ultimate Warrior was going to appear through a trap door in the ring, or if the evil incarnate doll Chucky was going to pop up on the big screen.

On a more positive note, there was a Frankensteiner sighting in the "enjoyable clusterfuck" main event. (*TM SirFozzie, but it's a pretty good description)
Old 04-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #752
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

sigh...Russo can just die already....
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #754
DeToxRox
Head Coach

As reported by Dave Scherer ..

Jarrett has been allegedly telling the X-Divison guys to just fly around the ring and not worry about selling. Ha.

Also .. Alex Shelley is officially the most under utilizied talent EVER.

He is TNA's best worker (if you don't believe me check his ROH work). He is innovative and oozes charisma.

He, in my opinion, is a BETTER Chris Jericho.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:27 PM   #755
molson
General Manager

I never would have thought another North American wrestling promotion would have gotten as much stable TV as big stars so soon after the death of WCW. TNA really had/has a chance to be something, to do something innovative and interesting, and to light a fire under the WWE (which has always done its best stuff under the threat of competition). I just can’t get into TNA at all. It’s really depressing. I wonder if they’ve gotten some kind of edict from Panda Energy and are under some kind of desperate pressure to turn a profit for something. And now the WWE, which I loved from Rumble to Mania, has been incredibly bland the last two weeks. Somehow, Lashley v. McMahon hasn’t turned into compelling television.

On a somewhat related note, I finally took the plunge and picked up TEW this weekend, and installed the DOTT mod. Of course, it’s still clickier and more tedious than I would like, but it’s not nearly as bad as I remembered it being in the last version. And after struggling with OOTP for a few weeks, at least it’s not overwhelming.

I’m trying to decide where to start. Either WCCW (which would certainly involve some type of Von Erich v. Von Erich blood feud), or WWF without Hogan.

Last edited by molson : 04-16-2007 at 12:27 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:28 PM   #756
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I’m trying to decide where to start. Either WCCW (which would certainly involve some type of Von Erich v. Von Erich blood feud), or WWF without Hogan.

Maybe a Von Erich Russian Roulette match?

.. Had to.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:29 PM   #757
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah, I've been following TNA since their weekly PPVs... but this is the first time (the last few PPVs and months of Impact) that I really hate them. At least before you could count on at least two GOOD matches on each of their PPVs. Now it's all gimmicky, over-booked crap. I haven't watched Impact in a couple of months, and will no longer watch the PPVs. They need to change something to get me to watch again.

I like a lot of the talent in TNA too. Shelley, Raven, Daniels, Styles, and Joe just to name a few.

I just don't like the current state of wrestling.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #758
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Should add

4/28 ROH presents Good Times, Great Memories from Chicago where Colt Cabana makes his final ROH match.

It will feature Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin taking on the Briscoe Brothers for the ROH Tag Team Titles. Shelley/Sabin have teamed in PWG and they are PHENOMINAL together.

Keep it in mind once the DVD comes out as the Briscoes are the best tag team since probably the Midnight Express.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #759
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Maybe a Von Erich Russian Roulette match?

.. Had to.

Maybe the best part of TEW is that wrestlers do randomly drop dead (it's more likely if they have the hidden "drug addict" rating) , which is great fun in the DOTT mod. I did one year-long test run, and Jimmy Sunka dropped dead in the middle of a heel world title run.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:33 PM   #760
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola - on the PWI hotline post PPV yesterday Buck Woodward and Mike Johnson kept saying people in TNA don't believe Joe can carry TNA, thus his recent depush.

All I can say is and people call Vince delusional?
Old 04-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #761
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dola - on the PWI hotline post PPV yesterday Buck Woodward and Mike Johnson kept saying people in TNA don't believe Joe can carry TNA, thus his recent depush.

All I can say is and people call Vince delusional?

Vince is Delusional. From the RAW taping in Italy (going on now)

Coachman then introduces Vince McMahon, who rips on the crowd and "fashion city." McMahon introduces Umaga and Armando Alejandro Estrada. They review destroying ECW champion Bobby Lashley last week at the end of Raw. McMahon promises to destroy Lashley at Backlash and notes that neither Lashley nor Shane McMahon are here tonight. He says that Umaga is here, though, and issues an open challenge for anyone to face the Intercontinental champion. No one comes out. McMahon raises the stakes, saying the title is on the line. No one comes out. McMahon asks if anyone from the audience would like to fight Umaga. A lot of fans raise their hands. An "obvious plant" is called into the ring. McMahon tries to talk to the "fan", who responds to him in Italian. A referee comes down and we have our first match.

WWE Intercontinental champion Umaga vs. ?

After the fan nearly gets a two count, McMahon returns and announces the match is no No Holds Barred. Estrada slaps the fans, who slaps him back. Umaga and Estrade trounce the fan. The building chants for Lashley. Lashley hits the ring and attacks Umaga. McMahon grabs a chair but Lashley blocks it and Vince scampers out of the ring. Lashley drills Umaga with the chair three times, then spears him. Lashley puts the fan on top of Umaga. The fan gets the pin. The fan, announced as "Santino" is the new WWE Intercontinental champion.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:55 PM   #762
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Vince is Delusional. From the RAW taping in Italy (going on now)

Coachman then introduces Vince McMahon, who rips on the crowd and "fashion city." McMahon introduces Umaga and Armando Alejandro Estrada. They review destroying ECW champion Bobby Lashley last week at the end of Raw. McMahon promises to destroy Lashley at Backlash and notes that neither Lashley nor Shane McMahon are here tonight. He says that Umaga is here, though, and issues an open challenge for anyone to face the Intercontinental champion. No one comes out. McMahon raises the stakes, saying the title is on the line. No one comes out. McMahon asks if anyone from the audience would like to fight Umaga. A lot of fans raise their hands. An "obvious plant" is called into the ring. McMahon tries to talk to the "fan", who responds to him in Italian. A referee comes down and we have our first match.

WWE Intercontinental champion Umaga vs. ?

After the fan nearly gets a two count, McMahon returns and announces the match is no No Holds Barred. Estrada slaps the fans, who slaps him back. Umaga and Estrade trounce the fan. The building chants for Lashley. Lashley hits the ring and attacks Umaga. McMahon grabs a chair but Lashley blocks it and Vince scampers out of the ring. Lashley drills Umaga with the chair three times, then spears him. Lashley puts the fan on top of Umaga. The fan gets the pin. The fan, announced as "Santino" is the new WWE Intercontinental champion.

Bwahahaha. Talk about diminishing the value of the title.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:46 PM   #763
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Bwahahaha. Talk about diminishing the value of the title.

That's pretty funny actually. And I hear he was actually an OVW guy, so this may turn out to be his real debut.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:49 PM   #764
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
That's pretty funny actually. And I hear he was actually an OVW guy, so this may turn out to be his real debut.

What a way to debut. Carlito, Shelton, Punk, etc. etc. don't have a title but this new guy does.

I wonder who it is?
Old 04-16-2007, 04:57 PM   #765
molson
General Manager

Quote:
What a way to debut. Carlito, Shelton, Punk, etc. etc. don't have a title but this new guy does.

I wonder who it is?

I forgot the name, but he’s been playing a monster Russian heel in OVW (but he’s actually Italian)
Old 04-16-2007, 04:59 PM   #766
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Boris Alexiv in the OVW. Hes the guy Cornette slapped the shit out of and got canned for.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #767
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I used to love the intercontinental title.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #768
Flasch186
Coordinator

Tito Santana

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:02 PM   #769
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Tito Santana

My first wrestling memory is seeing Savage totally screw him out the title. I was so pissed.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:51 PM   #770
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
My first wrestling memory is seeing Savage totally screw him out the title. I was so pissed.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:21 PM   #771
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Wow, the Italians hate John Cena more than Americans
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:50 PM   #772
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
Wow, the Italians hate John Cena more than Americans

They are idiots.

Go smoke your Salems, ride your scooters and play your NeoGeos, you sloppy bastards. Leave the wrestling to men.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:05 AM   #773
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

best part of that was the fleeting shots of miss elizabeth....other than stacy keibler, she is still the hottest valet/female talent ever, imo
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:06 PM   #774
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Holy Fucking Shit.

Ladies and gentlemen, that is your free TV Match of the Year. You can give the award right now. Maybe there's gonna be a PPV match that tops it, but I doubt it. So completely un-WWE, but it was so completely awesome.

Jon, you better have taped it and showed your kid that
Old 04-23-2007, 11:14 PM   #775
Jas_lov
College Starter

I agree, best match on Raw of the year. I wish they would make matches longer more often. Obviously not an hour, but more than five minutes. I think this hour long match was all set up by Randy Orton being sent home for trashing his hotel room. Otherwise we probably see Edge vs. Orton as well.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:22 PM   #776
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Jon, you better have taped it and showed your kid that

Naturally, I was watching hockey & didn't see it myself
Old 04-23-2007, 11:38 PM   #777
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Naturally, I was watching hockey & didn't see it myself

I wish I had known myself, but I mean, who expected a 55 minute main event on RAW????
Old 04-23-2007, 11:43 PM   #778
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Definetly a sight to behold. Topped their WM match by leaps and bounds.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:06 AM   #779
SnDvls
Pro Starter

it's just starting now here in AZ so I'm gonna go watch it now.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:16 AM   #780
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Can't wait to hear what you thought of it, SnDvls.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:25 AM   #781
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Wow. Just wow. THAT should've been the Mania match. Imagine how theyd've torn the roof off of the place.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:07 AM   #782
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I only caught the end of it, and I was watching with the sound off, so I didn't realize it was a non-title match. So I was basically waiting for the ridiculous run-in that never came.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:25 AM   #783
molson
General Manager

I bet most of the crowd thought that there was a title change. These days in the WWE though, you have to assume it's non-title unless they're very specific otherwise. With isn't an awful thing, it leads to more clean finishes, I just wish the champion would win a non-title match more than 5% of the time. Rey Mysterio lost non-title matches almost every week when he was champion.

Last edited by molson : 04-24-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:32 AM   #784
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I bet most of the crowd thought that there was a title change. These days in the WWE though, you have to assume it's non-title unless they're very specific otherwise. With isn't an awful thing, it leads to more clean finishes, I just wish the champion would win a non-title match more than 5% of the time. Rey Mysterio lost non-title matches almost every week when he was champion.

I'll have to catch this week's RAW sometime. I remember that Rey title run. So horrible. He lost so damn often that it just got so stupid.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #785
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I'll have to catch this week's RAW sometime. I remember that Rey title run. So horrible. He lost so damn often that it just got so stupid.

It was funny how Khali could beat the world champion in about 20 seconds, yet he never got a title shot.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:33 PM   #786
Schmidty
Coordinator

Wow, that was awesome. I just watched the match on Tivo.

How in the hell can true wrestling fans still hate Cena after that match?
Old 04-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #787
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post

Cena has had the E's top two MOTY candidates so far and probably in my opinion the all around MOTY with Cena/Umaga.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #788
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post

I think they need to tweak the character so that people notice how awseome he is now. People are SO programmed to think he's the worst wrestler in history for some reason, maybe some kind of moderate gimmick change would emphasize the new Cena. Of course on the other hand, some people still criticize him for making "poop jokes", when he hasn't done that in two years, so some of the haters cleary aren't watching the product anyway.

Last edited by molson : 04-24-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #789
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think they need to tweak the character so that people notice how awseome he is now. People are SO programmed to think he's the worst wrestler in history for some reason, maybe some kind of moderate gimmick change would emphasize the new Cena. Of course on the other hand, some people still criticize him for making "poop jokes", when he hasn't done that in two years, so some of the haters cleary aren't watching the product anyway.

A) It's fashionable to hate the new hotness
B) I've seen folks still upset over his using the mannerisms from "The Marine" (the salute, etcetera).. claiming it demeans our men and women in uniform (I didn't say it was valid or coherent reasoning)
C) He's never wrestled in Japan or Mexico
D) Up till the last nine months or so, he was very basic (punchy kicky stuff)

But goddamn can he tell a story with his matches and get that story out there.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #790
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Cena needs to be away from the title picture a while. Look what at did for Triple H.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:29 PM   #791
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Cena needs to be away from the title picture a while. Look what at did for Triple H.

I agree. He's been in the title picture for a couple years now and this fatal fourway might just be so he can lose the title without getting pinned. They should turn him heel or something to change it up. With HHH out though their only top face is HBK and Cena. Randy Orton has been getting cheered more so maybe they could turn him face, but as I mentioned before he got in hot water for trashing his hotel room and causing $30,000 in damages so who knows what his future is now.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #792
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I agree. He's been in the title picture for a couple years now and this fatal fourway might just be so he can lose the title without getting pinned. They should turn him heel or something to change it up. With HHH out though their only top face is HBK and Cena. Randy Orton has been getting cheered more so maybe they could turn him face, but as I mentioned before he got in hot water for trashing his hotel room and causing $30,000 in damages so who knows what his future is now.

Even the people that like him as a heel wouldn't buy Orton as face. It would be a joke.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:41 PM   #793
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Edge will be a face by the end of the year. He's at the point now where he's so good as a heel that it's inevitable that the "cool" fans will start cheering him soon.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:08 PM   #794
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Edge will be a face by the end of the year. He's at the point now where he's so good as a heel that it's inevitable that the "cool" fans will start cheering him soon.

Edge is a guy I respect, but don't like. He's an awesome heel and should stay that way. Hell, he even makes my non-wrestling fan wife say "Ugh, I hate that guy" when he comes on tv.

A lot of guys can pull off the "conversion" thing, but I just don't think it would benefit him at all. Making him slowly get nastier and nastier would be awesome. Changing his gimmick to something darker and darker would also be great. If he was more "over the top" evil, maybe he could someday be a better bad guy "face" (Like Undertaker).

Last edited by Schmidty : 04-24-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #795
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I gotta go with Schmidty on Edge as a heel. His mannerisms & facial expressions are great for the role & wouldn't work nearly so as as a face at this point.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:29 PM   #796
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Edge is the best heel in wrestling. Cena was over as a face moreso against Edge then since he was on SD. Edge can feud with any upper mid face and elevate him that much further.

If the E really wants to keep Lashley moving up, Edge is the perfect next step.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:45 PM   #797
Flasch186
Coordinator

there is no character arc better executed than one from the extremes so if Edge is the best heel, it would be a great turn....

and there is nothing worse than a character arc between to points on the spectrum that are closer to the midpoint. That is when people dont care, in movies, plays, TV, and wrestling for that matter.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:27 PM   #798
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

So what's the story with Orton and the hotel room... is he on drugs again?
Old 04-25-2007, 07:22 PM   #799
Schmidty
Coordinator

Randy Orton or Drew Stanton?

Old 04-25-2007, 08:20 PM   #800
saldana
Pro Starter

i guess i am the only one that thought the main event match on raw sucked...i felt really bad for the people at the venue...there were 5 commercial breaks during the match...that means at least 10 to 15 minutes of the hour+ were the two guys just laying around or working on weardown holds in ring...i didnt really think it got over well with the crowd.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote