Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-24-2022, 08:42 AM   #24051
cuervo72
Head Coach

I kinda meant curious which book it was, but that will do I guess.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:55 AM   #24052
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This article talks about an unclaimed Powerball jackpot. The odd thing is it only says it was sold in one of 21 counties in NE Kansas. That's as vague a description as I've ever seen. Usually they announce the exact store these things are bought at. Makes me think they don't really want it to be claimed.

Urgent warning to check Powerball lottery tickets as $92.2million jackpot remains unclaimed two days after draw | The US Sun

Also, I know it's the Sun making up stories, but who claims nearly $100M 2 days after the draw? I'd be getting an attorney and financial planner lined up before I came forward.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-24-2022 at 08:57 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:13 PM   #24053
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I love this. Not sure 6-10 hours is good enough but assume it'll improve in the future.

New eye drops could replace reading glasses for millions

My brother is an ophthalmologist and he and his wife were here for Thanksgiving. He gave me a few trial vials of this stuff to try. It works for me, although first try tonight, it's only lasting about 3 hours and I can tell it's wearing off. I don't know if that's normal or because I put the drops in at 6pm and my eyes are getting tired.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-24-2022 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:25 PM   #24054
Edward64
Head Coach

That is cool, thanks for sharing.

Was your brother optimistic this is a viable solution for many or still iffy?

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-24-2022 at 08:28 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:50 PM   #24055
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Hard Mountain Dew tastes like Diet Mountain Dew.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:57 PM   #24056
Ksyrup

Quote:
That is cool, thanks for sharing.

Was your brother optimistic this is a viable solution for many or still iffy?

He said I'm in the exact age group that this works great for (40-60). He also said that with some of the improvements they are making in treatments like this, that his job could be obsolete in a decade.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:30 PM   #24057
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

that sounds delicious!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 11:44 PM   #24058
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Tried a couple different flavors(regular and Baja) and I agree. I dunno if it’s a something I would buy often. Pretty sure it’s not in PA yet, but I live on the Ohio border anyways.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:22 AM   #24059
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Tried a couple different flavors(regular and Baja) and I agree. I dunno if it’s a something I would buy often. Pretty sure it’s not in PA yet, but I live on the Ohio border anyways.

i'm a taco bell regular now mostly because of the baja zero lol
Old 11-25-2022, 06:21 AM   #24060
stevew
Hall Of Famer

No more AirBNBs for me ever. This dumb one doesn’t even have a shower and this Murphy bed was so bad that I got 0 quality sleep. Not like this is even cheap. Just the price you gotta pay to stay close to relatives m that exist in a (basically) hotel free area. Going to end up needing to get a hotel for our final night because I can’t do this for day 3.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:29 AM   #24061
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
No more AirBNBs for me ever. This dumb one doesn’t even have a shower and this Murphy bed was so bad that I got 0 quality sleep. Not like this is even cheap. Just the price you gotta pay to stay close to relatives m that exist in a (basically) hotel free area. Going to end up needing to get a hotel for our final night because I can’t do this for day 3.

Did they mention there was no shower? That definitely seems like something they should have mentioned. My last AirBNB was a pretty good experience. Place was basically home away from home with a cheaper price than hotels.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 09:25 AM   #24062
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It just said bathtub I guess. I barely looked at the listing. Like it should have explicitly mentioned there wasn’t a shower I think. And that the bed was equivalent to sleeping on a giant sack of potatoes but whatever. Bathtubs are for tiny people. I’m basically Trump sized with bigger hands.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:11 AM   #24063
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
So has it been decided that we are bypassing Thanksgiving as a holiday and just starting the Christmas season in the middle of November? There are at least five houses in our subdivision who have Christmas decorations up including one where the lights have been up since Veterans Day.

Just to follow up on this, the reaction I got from greeting people with "Happy Thanksgiving" yesterday was almost universally one of "oh yeah it is Thanksgiving day". The only people who greeted me or responded with an immediate Happy Thanksgiving were over 40 years old. Everyone under 40 had that baffled look or a hesitance before responding in kind.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 05:22 PM   #24064
21C
College Prospect

A lot of kids today have no idea about how to tell time that is not digital. Not only can they not read the time on an analog clock but they have no idea about concepts like "a quarter past" or "twenty to".

I see this more and more in the classroom but I also saw it the other day at a school sports venue. We have just instituted pouches for student cell phones so they can't access their phones during the school day. I don't let the kids buy snacks before 2 o'clock and they forever come and ask me what time it is since nobody wears an old-timey watch (like me). One kid comes up to and asks me what time it is and I say, "5 to". They look at me blankly and I have to say 1:55.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:28 PM   #24065
Izulde
Head Coach

Do you not have a clock in the classroom?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:07 PM   #24066
21C
College Prospect

I used to have an analog clock in my classroom but I eventually got rid of it. Kids would ask me what time it was and I would point to the wall clock. They'd just shrug.

The offsite venue where we had school sport didn't have a clock anywhere.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:08 PM   #24067
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
A lot of kids today have no idea about how to tell time that is not digital. Not only can they not read the time on an analog clock but they have no idea about concepts like "a quarter past" or "twenty to".

I see this more and more in the classroom but I also saw it the other day at a school sports venue. We have just instituted pouches for student cell phones so they can't access their phones during the school day. I don't let the kids buy snacks before 2 o'clock and they forever come and ask me what time it is since nobody wears an old-timey watch (like me). One kid comes up to and asks me what time it is and I say, "5 to". They look at me blankly and I have to say 1:55.

I thought about something similar when you talked about your personal project. Will the kids be able to take on a similar project for themselves if they can't read cursive writing.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-25-2022, 11:05 PM   #24068
21C
College Prospect

Cursive might be the modern equivalent of hieroglyphics.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:40 PM   #24069
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
My brother is an ophthalmologist and he and his wife were here for Thanksgiving. He gave me a few trial vials of this stuff to try. It works for me, although first try tonight, it's only lasting about 3 hours and I can tell it's wearing off. I don't know if that's normal or because I put the drops in at 6pm and my eyes are getting tired.

To follow-up on this, I used Vuity the last 2 days and they worked well, pretty much totally wearing off by 6 or 7 hours. Today, I didn't put them in this morning but my nearsightedness is noticeably better without the drops. Not great, but not bad enough that I need my readers. I asked my brother and he said it's called the linger effect and that the more you use it, the better your sight might be without the drops.

I just put the drops in to sharpen my vision until this evening. So far, I'm loving it and definitely going to look at getting a prescription.
Old 11-26-2022, 05:28 PM   #24070
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

I was ahead of my time by failing "handwriting" in school.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 10:18 PM   #24071
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

At least they can still read a map ........
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 10:47 PM   #24072
21C
College Prospect

I had a conversation with another teacher about student handwriting and how much worse some of their writing is getting. Some of the writing from 13-year-olds looks like it was written by a 5-year-old. I saw one kid's test where he wrote the number 4 backwards every time.

She thought it was because they spend all of their time typing on a laptop/device. Math is one of the few subjects where we go old school and make them write stuff in a book.
Old 11-27-2022, 09:04 AM   #24073
Ksyrup

"Thinks" that's the reason? That's the goal - no one here is taught to write because everyone uses Chromebooks and Google Drive by 6th grade. The future is handwriting-free so there's no reason to waste time being taught an obsolete skill, I assume is the rationale.

Elementary kids do write but we've got "no child left behind" so they just move up grades even if they can't read, write or add.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:02 AM   #24074
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
To follow-up on this, I used Vuity the last 2 days and they worked well, pretty much totally wearing off by 6 or 7 hours. Today, I didn't put them in this morning but my nearsightedness is noticeably better without the drops. Not great, but not bad enough that I need my readers. I asked my brother and he said it's called the linger effect and that the more you use it, the better your sight might be without the drops.

I just put the drops in to sharpen my vision until this evening. So far, I'm loving it and definitely going to look at getting a prescription.

Read up a little more about Vuity. I don't have high adds so this may work well for me also. But there's a caution for night driving.

https://eyesoneyecare.com/resources/...or-presbyopia/

But a little pricey ...

Quote:
Is Vuity Covered by Insurance? Currently Vuity eye drops are not covered by any insurance. The insurance companies currently view this as a cosmetic thing and that is why they do not cover the vuity drops at this time. So, the cost of Vuity eye drops with insurance is still the $80 a month.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:24 AM   #24075
Ksyrup

Yep, that's the price my brother told me. He said there's a deal online where they are offering a free first prescription. Not sure if that's just a month free or longer. I did not try to drive but did walk outside at night some. Stared into some oncoming headlights and looked at other lights and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I used them 3 days in a row but not today since I got up early to go to work. I figure I can make due with a few days on, a day or two off. If it only lasts 6ish hours, I'm not wasting it at 6am and then driving to work for an hour and be wearing readers by noon.

But I'm definitely going to consider getting it. I didn't use my readers all weekends and like I mentioned above, even before I put drops in each day, I saw an improvement.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-28-2022 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:11 AM   #24076
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Updating your credit card on the billion things you have autopay / stored cards on is the worst.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:12 PM   #24077
21C
College Prospect

My local TV station had a news item where they had a voiceover on a closeup of a newspaper report.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:55 AM   #24078
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I'm glad my stomach is cultured enough to hold 2 opinions at the same time.

On the one hand, it telling me to take a massive shit.

On the other, it's also telling me I'm absolutely starving.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 08:39 AM   #24079
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
I'm glad my stomach is cultured enough to hold 2 opinions at the same time.

On the one hand, it telling me to take a massive shit.

On the other, it's also telling me I'm absolutely starving.

There is a road to success if you can chart your path carefully. It's been done before, and it's been done poorly. But in this instance, you can have your cake, and eat it too.

Like Steam?

Old 11-30-2022, 09:50 AM   #24080
stevew
Hall Of Famer

At this point I can taste something and realize how my body will process it. Thank god for bidets
Old 11-30-2022, 06:57 PM   #24081
Ksyrup

I didn't realize Cocaine Bear was real until I saw the trailer. I saw it trending on Twitter a day or two ago but ignored it as something Twitterly stupid. But now I see that it's really stupid.

It looks like Sharknado meets Super Troopers.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:43 AM   #24082
miami_fan
Coordinator

'You ought to be ashamed': 82-year-old Alabama woman says arrest over $77 trash bill was unjust, unnecessary

Yeah, I think this whole situation is ridiculous. I am posting for this piece right here.

Quote:
What’s more, Tucker said, is that multiple people have now tried to pay her mother’s bill, but they’ve been told by staff they can’t do so.

This has happened with people trying to pay off the balance on student lunch accounts among other things. What is the rational for not allowing someone to pay off someone else's debt if they want to and are not holding it over the debtor's head? My initial thought is they just want to be spiteful people but I assume there is some other reason since I see it in many different cases. Yes, someone could just hand the woman the cash and she can go pay her bill. I don't see the need for that especially when we allow anonymous people to pay lay-a-ways and things like that. If money comes in to pay the bill for that address, it is legal currency and a legal transaction, who cares what account it comes out of or who hands over the cash? What am I missing?
Old 12-02-2022, 01:24 PM   #24083
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
I didn't realize Cocaine Bear was real until I saw the trailer. I saw it trending on Twitter a day or two ago but ignored it as something Twitterly stupid. But now I see that it's really stupid.

It looks like Sharknado meets Super Troopers.
The area the real Cocaine Bear was found is where we used to camp and trout fish around the same time. I was 16 or so when it happened. I remember hearing about it at camp, but not really anything big in the news. It was before so many people from Atlanta bought homes up there, so it was very much an area out of the public eye. They were still active moonshiners then.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 01:33 PM   #24084
Ksyrup

I read an article about exactly how it was "inspired by" a true story and frankly, the guy who allegedly dropped the cocaine is a far more interesting story than the bear. In real life, of course, the bear died of an OD before he could kill anyone. But the backstory on the life and then death of the guy is fascinating and should be its own movie.

Reminded me a bit of the documentary The Invisible Pilot which I believe I posted about in the streaming thread.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:57 PM   #24085
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Cocaine Bear is stuffed and right near you Ksyrup! Why don't we have pics from your the fieldtrip you're gonna take to go see him?!?!

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 12-02-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:37 PM   #24086
GrantDawg

Old 12-02-2022, 03:38 PM   #24087
GrantDawg

Quote:
I read an article about exactly how it was "inspired by" a true story and frankly, the guy who allegedly dropped the cocaine is a far more interesting story than the bear. In real life, of course, the bear died of an OD before he could kill anyone. But the backstory on the life and then death of the guy is fascinating and should be its own movie.

Reminded me a bit of the documentary The Invisible Pilot which I believe I posted about in the streaming thread.
That was really more the discussion at the time. Was there more drugs and possibly money dropped in the woods somewhere?
Old 12-04-2022, 09:04 PM   #24088
Ksyrup

Every time I see the Trans Siberian Orchestra commercial for their upcoming local show, "presented by Hallmark Channel," I LOL.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:02 AM   #24089
Edward64
Head Coach

Not a big cocktail drinker but will have to try this.

Quote:
It might be 2022, but people are still ordering espresso martinis like it’s the 90s.

The coffee-flavored drink has experienced such a resurgence that it has entered the top 10 list of most ordered cocktails at US bars this year, according to research firm CGA by Nielsen IQ. The espresso martini has even displaced the classic Manhattan, a bourbon-based cocktail, in the top 10.

CGA by NielsenIQ, which tracks cocktails sales at US bars, reported that the margarita remains the country’s top-selling cocktail.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:30 AM   #24090
Ksyrup

I just ran across picture of Madonna from Thanksgiving and I see the Michael Jackson is strong in her. Holy shit.

I'll give her this - she definitely looks younger. If that's what she was going for, she got what she paid for.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:38 AM   #24091
Edward64
Head Coach

I saw some of those pics (e.g. narrow, pointy chin) but passed it off as photoshopped images with caked on makeup (e.g. Kardashians).

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-06-2022 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:53 AM   #24092
Ksyrup

It's more than that - she doesn't look like herself anymore. Pics looked normal, she was posing with her kids in most of them. She looked like she was about a third of the way to transforming into the "Mask" kid.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:19 AM   #24093
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Old 12-08-2022, 01:33 AM   #24094
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not a big cocktail drinker but will have to try this.

Had my first one (and then my second one) a few months ago.

Not bad at all, though I'd say that quality ingredients are pretty critical.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:23 AM   #24095
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I loved Scrubs, but is T-Mobile really getting their money's worth with their current ad campaign? It's a pair of b-list actors doing an extended bit with inside jokes from a show that was popular but not super popular more than a decade ago. The ads usually get a chuckle out of me, but at least half or more of the audience watching those has no idea who they are and what they're trying to say with the ad.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:53 AM   #24096
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I loved Scrubs, but is T-Mobile really getting their money's worth with their current ad campaign? It's a pair of b-list actors doing an extended bit with inside jokes from a show that was popular but not super popular more than a decade ago. The ads usually get a chuckle out of me, but at least half or more of the audience watching those has no idea who they are and what they're trying to say with the ad.

SI
I sort of enjoyed it the first season or so. I tried to go back and watch it recently, and it is very cringe.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:19 PM   #24097
miami_fan
Coordinator

I know I have mentioned how much worse drivers have been since Florida opened back up after the initial shutdown. Drivers are now ignoring traffic lights, streets signs etc and road rage is a much more common occurrence then it was a few years ago. I heard this story on the radio while driving around earlier and search the suspect's name to read the story. I was confused with the results because the story headers were exactly the same but the mugshots looked completely different. Here is the short version of the story.

Quote:
Deputy Daniel Henry, 33, was heading home from work when he came across a green Saturn driving slowly on Balm Riverview Road near CR-672, Hillsborough County Sheriff Chad Chronister said. That's when the suspect started driving aggressively and even began brake-checking the deputy.*

Deputy Henry then tried to safely pass the vehicle, which is when the driver rolled down his window, stuck his arm out holding a gun and fired it toward the deputy, Chronister said.*

The bullet struck the deputy's vehicle once between the back passenger door and the wheel, officials confirmed.*

The suspect is supposedly a 49 year old man. Here is the mugshot of the suspect in the first story

That is a previous mugshot from 2010 which means that person was 37 when that mugshot was taken. Here is the mugshot of the 49 year old suspect when he was booked Wednesday night.

Old 12-09-2022, 08:29 PM   #24098
Edward64
Head Coach

Reminds me of those before and after meth pics. Not as bad but bad enough
Old 12-10-2022, 11:30 AM   #24099
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Half watching some murder thing on ID(Betrayed)and I’m pretty sure I just saw Flasch on my screen.
Old 12-12-2022, 07:40 AM   #24100
Ksyrup

THE SUN! I haven't seen the sun in at least a week. It's been foggy/misty/raining in KY since last weekend. Sun is out today. Need to charge up our solar lights in the back - they didn't go on last night.

And of course, as the master of timing, I just happen to be flying to Florida this afternoon...