Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2020, 12:22 PM   #201
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Being in fairly close proximity to the Washington breakouts, some people around here suspect they've already had it - based on the descriptions of mild cases having a cough and shortness of breath rather than the more varied typical flu symptoms.

I started getting sick at the end of last week and didn't think much of it since my county (Pierce, which sits right below King and I'm 40 minutes from Seattle) hadn't shown any cases yet. That changed yesterday when I read an article that stated they now believe it's been in Washington for up to 6 weeks. I have the symptoms and I'd describe it as an awful cold. The cough sucks and I've had slight shortness of breath and a slight fever. The fever broke last night and today is the first day I've felt a bit better since Friday.

If it's been in Washington spreading for the past 6 weeks, which looks likely now, we can assume it's nearly everywhere by now.

Last edited by Atocep : 03-02-2020 at 12:24 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:15 PM   #202
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I started getting sick at the end of last week and didn't think much of it since my county (Pierce, which sits right below King and I'm 40 minutes from Seattle) hadn't shown any cases yet. That changed yesterday when I read an article that stated they now believe it's been in Washington for up to 6 weeks. I have the symptoms and I'd describe it as an awful cold. The cough sucks and I've had slight shortness of breath and a slight fever. The fever broke last night and today is the first day I've felt a bit better since Friday.

If it's been in Washington spreading for the past 6 weeks, which looks likely now, we can assume it's nearly everywhere by now.

This also describes my oldest son. He was sick last week, fever, aches, bad sinus issues, broke by the end of the week, but no vomiting like you'd see with the flu. We're in NKY. No cases officially, but it wouldn't surprise me. He's a janitor at a local university and tons have been out sick, employees and students. Nobody else in house has gotten it yet.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #203
miami_fan
Coordinator

The wife has begun getting texts from parents of her students concerned with what may happen in school this week. The kids in her class are grade level K-2 and some of them have compromised immune systems. Being that it is elementary school, this is a troubling situation on most days since there are also children throughout the school who are brought to school despite being obviously sick.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:45 PM   #204
JPhillips
General Manager

The clip of Trump asking if a good flu vaccine would help against coronavirus is too perfect.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:07 PM   #205
Edward64
Head Coach

My wife is a Special Ed teacher. I asked her tonight if school had given any guidance on coronavirus and she said nada.

I would think school systems would tell teachers that if they notice any of the symptoms to send kid to nurse and have kid checked out, or an email to parents saying if your kid is sick the kid has to "really, really" stay home (even if you think its just the flu) etc.

No afflicted yet in GA but am surprised at the lack of pro activeness here.

FWIW, I guess Washington State will be our prototype on how (or not) to react to an outbreak. Some schools were closed today.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:29 PM   #206
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The wife has begun getting texts from parents of her students concerned with what may happen in school this week. The kids in her class are grade level K-2 and some of them have compromised immune systems. Being that it is elementary school, this is a troubling situation on most days since there are also children throughout the school who are brought to school despite being obviously sick.

The count is now for the state:

2 positive tests, one in Tampa area who just came back from Northern Italy.
5 tests pending
15 tests negative
184 being monitored.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:43 PM   #207
RainMaker
General Manager

This is a really good tracker of cases.

Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

The CDC removed the "Tested" stat from their site which I hope is not a sign they are trying to hold back data because they fucked up.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:59 PM   #208
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
My wife is a Special Ed teacher. I asked her tonight if school had given any guidance on coronavirus and she said nada.

I would think school systems would tell teachers that if they notice any of the symptoms to send kid to nurse and have kid checked out, or an email to parents saying if your kid is sick the kid has to "really, really" stay home (even if you think its just the flu) etc.

No afflicted yet in GA but am surprised at the lack of pro activeness here.

FWIW, I guess Washington State will be our prototype on how (or not) to react to an outbreak. Some schools were closed today.

My kids school sent out a communication over the weekend basically saying keep your sick kids home. They outlined what they were doing including extra sanatation, making sure kids are more proactive in washing, etc...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:59 PM   #209
PilotMan
Head Coach

I wouldn't be surprised if my kid had it last week. Works at a University as a Janitor, people have been sick all over the place, but his symptoms are a mirror image of what they are talking about. Not the flu, but a fever, body aches, cough, shortness of breath, really bad sinus congestion. The whole thing was bad 3-4 days, by day 5 he was feeling better and the fever didn't last more than a couple days. Of course, there's a whole lot of crap out there like that, but if we believe that it's been in the US and spreading for weeks before the first cases are confirmed it stands to reason that it's far more widespread than we currently know, and as a corollary, that it's far less deadly than the current numbers we are looking at.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 03-02-2020 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:04 PM   #210
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Governor Kemp holding a press conference at 10pm, along with all the health and safety heads. I imagine this is to announce cases in Georgia.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:23 PM   #211
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Governor Kemp holding a press conference at 10pm, along with all the health and safety heads. I imagine this is to announce cases in Georgia.

Went to AJC and CNN and did not see anything. Thanks for the heads up, I'll tune in at 10.

BTW - what a great day for the stock markets. Honestly, I still think there is worse to come.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-02-2020 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:01 PM   #212
GrantDawg

Two cases are in Georgia. Both in the same home. One had recently traveled to Italy.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-02-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:23 PM   #213
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Two cases are in Georgia. Both in the same home. One had recently traveled to Italy.

Didn't seem to rise to the level of a last minute meeting, situation under control ... I was expecting more. Probably could have waited till the morning but appreciate their efforts in transparency.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:08 PM   #214
JPhillips
General Manager

Pence focusing on what's important:

Old 03-02-2020, 10:24 PM   #215
Galaril
Pro Starter

My 12 year old came home sick today from schoo. He has a slight fever, terrible cough, headache and nausea.
��

Last edited by Galaril : 03-02-2020 at 10:25 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:53 AM   #216
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wife is traveling today Florida. I’m curious to hear how it went. She took airborn and brought Lysol wipes to clean the plane. She’s also in first class so she won’t be so crammed in.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:03 AM   #217
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Flying to Cali today. Zero face masks worn in GSO-ATL leg. Even here in Hartsfield, less than 5% wearing masks. People in both airports taking much longer than normal washing hands though. No lines for toilets, but quite a few beelines for sinks when we got off the plane here.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:32 AM   #218
Edward64
Head Coach

TBH personally I think I'm almost resigned to catching it with all the travelling I do. My wife is a public school teacher, that's another pretty good vector for infection. Sooner or later, it'll be widespread.

In a way, wouldn't it be better to catch it early, get treated if needed (and before system is possibly overwhelmed), build up some immunity (I read that this may not be the case though with people catching it again) before it is widespread in the US?

Am I messed up thinking this way?
Old 03-03-2020, 06:45 AM   #219
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
This is a really good tracker of cases.

Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

The CDC removed the "Tested" stat from their site which I hope is not a sign they are trying to hold back data because they fucked up.

That's like a frickin' video game, so weird.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:15 AM   #220
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
TBH personally I think I'm almost resigned to catching it with all the travelling I do. My wife is a public school teacher, that's another pretty good vector for infection. Sooner or later, it'll be widespread.

In a way, wouldn't it be better to catch it early, get treated if needed (and before system is possibly overwhelmed), build up some immunity (I read that this may not be the case though with people catching it again) before it is widespread in the US?

Am I messed up thinking this way?

I had the same though. Better to catch it now while there are still beds available. That being said, from the sounds of it most of us here wouldn't be in too bad shape.

I am in the same boat as you. My wife travels 2-3 weeks out of the month for work. I am a stay at home dad, but I'm sure my kids would bring it home with them from school.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:33 AM   #221
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
That's like a frickin' video game, so weird.

Yeah, at first I was like this map is cool. Now I realize how morbid it is and it sucks.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:24 AM   #222
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Based on the facebook forwards I am seeing from my MAGA relatives, deciding not to protect yourself and others from the pandemic is now a point of pride because the whole thing is just designed to make Trump look bad.

I don't want to tell the Russians how to go about their business, but I'm starting to suspect that they are playing this game in Settler mode. At least kick it up to Prince, you cowards.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:46 AM   #223
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Based on the facebook forwards I am seeing from my MAGA relatives, deciding not to protect yourself and others from the pandemic is now a point of pride because the whole thing is just designed to make Trump look bad.

I don't want to tell the Russians how to go about their business, but I'm starting to suspect that they are playing this game in Settler mode. At least kick it up to Prince, you cowards.

wait are you now saying that republicans WANT the virus?
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:50 AM   #224
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
wait are you now saying that republicans WANT the virus?

No one wants the virus. No one wants others to get the virus.

But I do think that some people (Russian bots, not the Trump administration) are peddling the idea that taking the virus seriously is bad for Trump, so people who support him shouldn't take it too seriously.

The Russians have figured out that they can make 50% of us do anything simply by casting anything as a red state/blue state issue.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:08 AM   #225
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

When is the United States going to start widely testing?

Seems like we've passed the "people who have recently been abroad" point and should be testing pretty much everyone with flu-like symptoms or who has been exposed.

What's the holdup?
Old 03-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #226
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

Seems like we've passed the "people who have recently been abroad" point and should be testing pretty much everyone with flu-like symptoms or who has been exposed.

What's the holdup?

in order to perform these test, one must first take their head out of their ass
Old 03-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #227
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:

What's the holdup?

Insufficient numbers of available test kits, I would imagine.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:34 AM   #228
JPhillips
General Manager

The CDC actually removed the number of tested row from their public data. There are a number of anecdotal stories about the difficulty in finding a test and the lack of clear criteria given to local providers.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:40 AM   #229
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
There are a number of anecdotal stories about the difficulty in finding a test and the lack of clear criteria given to local providers.
I have every reason to believe those anecdotes are true. This thing is likely far more widespread than we know.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:46 AM   #230
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

What's the holdup?

firing the pandemic team a couple years ago and not replacing them could be a factor...

Did Trump Fire the US Pandemic Response Team?
Old 03-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #231
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I have every reason to believe those anecdotes are true. This thing is likely far more widespread than we know.

I think it's probably all over every state in big numbers right now, which would be very good if true. In that we don't have dead and sick clogging our rivers and whatnot despite its prevalence.

The death rate is much higher than the flu but I don't know how that number is impacted by people not getting tested, people recovering without hospitalization, most of the cases occurring in a place like China, etc.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #232
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I think it's probably all over every state in big numbers right now, which would be very good if true. In that we don't have dead and sick clogging our rivers and whatnot despite its prevalence.
yup
Old 03-03-2020, 11:21 AM   #233
QuikSand
lolzcat

widespread quiet spread (without widespread serious illness and death) = mathematically very good news, easily misunderstood as scary news
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:38 AM   #234
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
The Russians have figured out that they can make 50% of us do anything simply by casting anything as a red state/blue state issue.

QFT
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:44 AM   #235
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Wife is traveling today Florida. I’m curious to hear how it went. She took airborn and brought Lysol wipes to clean the plane. She’s also in first class so she won’t be so crammed in.

Quote:
Flying to Cali today. Zero face masks worn in GSO-ATL leg. Even here in Hartsfield, less than 5% wearing masks. People in both airports taking much longer than normal washing hands though. No lines for toilets, but quite a few beelines for sinks when we got off the plane here.

I traveled yesterday and today domestic and people aren't there, because it's not really that widespread (that they know of). Besides, the masks are really for sick people to not spread the illness as opposed to healthy people. I think that the majority of people see this for what it is, and are being cautious, but most people understand where the true risks are.

That damned 38% of people are avoiding Corona beer is such bullshit. Just to show how shit gets twisted around. I didn't hear the exact question, but early on it was phrased "38% of people won't drink Corona beer." None of that was in the context of would they normally drink it, that I am aware of. That immediately was translated to 38% of people think drinking Corona beer will make you sick. I know it was all supposed to be tongue in cheek, but people read into the numbers what they want to see, instead of critically thinking about it.

I still think it's going to be a here or there thing, and ultimately it'll settle down and people will learn to deal with it.

Quote:
The CDC actually removed the number of tested row from their public data. There are a number of anecdotal stories about the difficulty in finding a test and the lack of clear criteria given to local providers.

Meanwhile in Korea.....

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/02/asia/...ntl/index.html

Like Steam?

Old 03-03-2020, 12:01 PM   #236
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

That damned 38% of people are avoiding Corona beer is such bullshit. Just to show how shit gets twisted around. I didn't hear the exact question, but early on it was phrased "38% of people won't drink Corona beer." None of that was in the context of would they normally drink it, that I am aware of. That immediately was translated to 38% of people think drinking Corona beer will make you sick. I know it was all supposed to be tongue in cheek, but people read into the numbers what they want to see, instead of critically thinking about it.

I choose to believe that those poll results were based upon conscious hipster irony.

Edit: If someone bothers me on the street or in a phone call and asks me if I think Corona beer causes the coronavirus I'm probably saying yes.

Last edited by molson : 03-03-2020 at 12:17 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:07 PM   #237
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

NYC finds a case on the first day of locally controlled testing. There's no way that's the only case in NYC.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:19 PM   #238
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
widespread quiet spread (without widespread serious illness and death) = mathematically very good news, easily misunderstood as scary news
Yeah, that’s what I was trying to say. Starting to land in that camp.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:23 PM   #239
Ben E Lou

Semi humorous side note: flight attendants on the leg to Oakland are holding true to stereotypes. Black female has on plastic gloves as she serves and retrieves. White female picked up my empty water cup with her bare hand, fingers holding to lip of cup where I’d been drinking. ������
Old 03-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #240
Kodos
Resident Alien

Did she take a swig?
Old 03-03-2020, 12:47 PM   #241
JPhillips
General Manager

Pence met and shook hands with military academy students in FL last week and now one of them is suspected to have coronavirus.

How long before Trump has Pence sanitized with fire?
Old 03-03-2020, 12:49 PM   #242
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Pence met and shook hands with military academy students in FL last week and now one of them is suspected to have coronavirus.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:51 PM   #243
GrantDawg

Quote:

All they have to do is throw him in a lake. If he floats, he is a witch.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:20 PM   #244
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

well p[ence already wiped his nose with his hand before shaking hands with doctors.

and oh yeah North Korea is shooting people for being infected. Hopefully that won't give stupid any ideas
Old 03-03-2020, 03:27 PM   #245
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
WHO estimates coronavirus death rate at 3.4 percent – higher than earlier estimates

Well, that's not good.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:33 PM   #246
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Well, that's not good.

I wonder if that number goes down once developed nations start to battle it. You have to think the numbers from China are heavily skewing those results.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:36 PM   #247
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I wonder if that number goes down once developed nations start to battle it. You have to think the numbers from China are heavily skewing those results.

I actually think Iran, SK and Italy are what has led them to increase the estimate.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:50 PM   #248
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I'd think, since the number of infected is likely grossly under-reported, the mortality rate is actually quite a bit lower than 2-3%
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:11 PM   #249
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Trump did allude to this whole thing being a hoax at a rally the other day. And he has criticized media for blowing the story out of proportion. I do think some of the MAGA folks genuinely believe that anything negative happening in this country is a plot to hurt Dear Leader.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:17 PM   #250
RainMaker
General Manager

There is a briefing right now with the VP. They aren't allowing audio or video for some reason.

Says you don't need to buy masks which I've heard from other health professionals. 77 domestic cases, 3 more deaths today (9 total).