Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-08-2022, 08:35 PM   #101
Izulde
Head Coach

UNLV is 13-10 (5-5) so far on the season. Better than I expected in Kevin Kruger's first season TBH. Almost a complete roster turnover around Bryce Hamilton and while the defense was expected to be significantly improved, offensive struggles were anticipated.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 03:59 PM   #102
miked
College Starter

Old 02-12-2022, 04:30 PM   #103
HerRealName
College Prospect

I really like this Rutgers team - except during that OSU game a couple days ago. Rutgers just plays HARD. I keep expecting them to run out of gas but they seem to be getting stronger instead. Dismantling Wisconsin in Madison was impressive.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 04:38 PM   #104
miked
College Starter

Yeah, if only they hadn't lost to Lafayette, DePaul, and UMass (and maybe the 16 point to loss PSU) we would be coasting in to the tourney.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:45 PM   #105
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Yeah, if only they hadn't lost to Lafayette, DePaul, and UMass (and maybe the 16 point to loss PSU) we would be coasting in to the tourney.

I started to think they might be in contention to win the conference until they put up their remaining schedule. It's a brutal way to finish up but they're capable of beating anyone at this point. There are so many games crammed into each other the whole thing feels like a mess and completely unpredictable.
Old 02-12-2022, 09:45 PM   #106
tarcone
Coordinator

Teams have had to play 4 days in a row to win the B1G. Rutgers is hot, and if they maintain that, they could run the tourney.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 02:14 PM   #107
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Looking to get into college basketball for this season but I am way out of the loop (outside of the Horizon League).

What resources would people suggest to get me up to speed ASAP?

Podcasts/websites would be preferred.

Thanks!

Last edited by kingnebwsu : 02-14-2022 at 02:14 PM.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:54 PM   #108
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu View Post
Looking to get into college basketball for this season but I am way out of the loop (outside of the Horizon League).

What resources would people suggest to get me up to speed ASAP?

Podcasts/websites would be preferred.

Thanks!
Titus and Tate are younger guys that have a good cbb pod.

The Field of 68 YouTube channel. Lots of content here.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:18 PM   #109
HerRealName
College Prospect

Future #1 seed Rutgers is up on Illinois by 15 with 15 left.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:47 PM   #110
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My Dad is almost 92, a Rutgers alum, and watches every game. I don't have any delusions they will win it all, but I really want to see them make the tournament and provide Dad some more enjoyment. Especially because his Yankees don't look to be taking the field any time soon.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 08:12 PM   #111
miked
College Starter

They were one shot away from a monster upset in last year's tournament. Tonight was must win as they hit the road for Purdue and Michigan, before finishing against Wisconsin, PSU, and Indiana. PSU is a winnable game at home, I'm thinking no chance vs. Purdue and Michigan. So win one more between Indiana and Wisconsin and that could be enough.
Old 02-16-2022, 09:36 PM   #112
tarcone
Coordinator

Im glad Rutgers is good at something other then bringing in the New York market.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 09:57 PM   #113
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Im glad Rutgers is good at something other then bringing in the New York market.
Technically they weren't good at that one either...
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 10:07 PM   #114
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked
I'm thinking no chance vs. Purdue and Michigan. So win one more between Indiana and Wisconsin and that could be enough.

I wouldn't write off the Michigan game. They're fascinating in a 'pull your hair out' way. Capable of beating almost anybody, also capable of losing to almost anybody. Need win three of their last six to have a decent chance at making the tournament, probably four to have any real confidence in it. I wouldn't be shocked by 5-1, 1-5, or anything in between.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 02:02 PM   #115
Atocep
Coordinator

I've never seen a coach slap another coach and instigate a fight between teams. Juwon Howard is going to be sitting out a few games and at least a couple of his players may as well.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 02:08 PM   #116
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Howard should sit the rest of the year including the BIG 10 tournament. Completely unacceptable. I'm not so sure he shouldn't be canned.
Old 02-20-2022, 02:10 PM   #117
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Didn't see it, but yikes.
Old 02-20-2022, 02:11 PM   #118
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Old 02-20-2022, 02:12 PM   #119
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Apparently Howard was pissed because Wisconsin called a TO up 19 with 30 seconds left, even though Howard still had a starter in the game.
Old 02-20-2022, 02:15 PM   #120
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for the video. Yeah he definitely needs a good long suspension, minimum.
Old 02-20-2022, 02:20 PM   #121
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Apparently Howard was pissed because Wisconsin called a TO up 19 with 30 seconds left, even though Howard still had a starter in the game.

The timeout was bullshit and Howard had every right to say something at the handshake, but it wasn't so egregious that it should have been more than a quick "WTF" and move on.
Old 02-20-2022, 02:44 PM   #122
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Was it one of those standard TOs to get the white guys 30 seconds of playing time? Usually there's a natural stop in action so they can get in, but I've seen teams call TO to clear the bench.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 02:57 PM   #123
RainMaker
General Manager

I get being upset with the timeout, but your team was also playing a full-court press when the Badgers were more than willing to just run the clock out.

In minor defense to Howard, the coach does sort of grab him when he walks by without a handshake. Not something most men take lightly. Still, you can't throw a punch or escalate to that point. And he's not a first time offender.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 02:59 PM   #124
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I don’t know that Howard can discipline the team going forward. I think he has to go. Just my two cents.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:15 PM   #125
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Was it one of those standard TOs to get the white guys 30 seconds of playing time? Usually there's a natural stop in action so they can get in, but I've seen teams call TO to clear the bench.

My understanding is all backups were in. And it was Wisconsin, so the timeout would actually be to get the one black guy in.
Old 02-20-2022, 03:17 PM   #126
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I don’t know that Howard can discipline the team going forward. I think he has to go. Just my two cents.

This is my thought. Not sure how you can claim to be a leader of young men who sets the example after doing something like that.
Old 02-20-2022, 03:30 PM   #127
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
My understanding is all backups were in. And it was Wisconsin, so the timeout would actually be to get the one black guy in.

I literally flipped the channel seconds before the fight happened. I had thought Gard put backups in with a minute left, but could be wrong. I was only half paying attention by that point.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:33 PM   #128
lungs
Pro Rookie

dola

OK yeah, now that I read about it, don't full court press if you want the other team to run the clock out.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:33 PM   #129
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:

Yeah, back-ups were already in and Michigan was still pressing. It was a scramble situation and to save another TO or a 10 second call, Gard called a TO. Probably bush league to call the TO up 15 but it was bush league for Michigan to be pressing with at least 1 starter down by 15.

As they pass each other in the handshake line, Howard says that he's going to remember that TO. Gard stops him by grabbing Howard's elbow. Howard responds by grabbing Gard's collar.

Howard pulled a Woody Hayes but against an asst coach. Certainly seems like Michigan could fire him with cause, especially considering Howard's actions at the BTT last year. If they were smart, they'd fire Howard and bring back Beilein.

Last edited by HerRealName : 02-20-2022 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-20-2022, 03:39 PM   #130
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Beilein's not coming back. He's 69.
Old 02-20-2022, 03:43 PM   #131
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Beilein's not coming back. He's 69.

He could be 89 and I'd still hire him. That guy's a witch. I think he's the best pure basketball coach since I've followed college basketball (way too many decades ago).
Old 02-20-2022, 03:47 PM   #132
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Yeah, back-ups were already in and Michigan was still pressing. It was a scramble situation and to save another TO or a 10 second call, Gard called a TO. Probably bush league to call the TO up 15 but it was bush league for Michigan to be pressing with at least 1 starter down by 15.

As they pass each other in the handshake line, Howard says that he's going to remember that TO. Gard stops him by grabbing Howard's elbow. Howard responds by grabbing Gard's collar.

Howard pulled a Woody Hayes but against an asst coach. Certainly seems like Michigan could fire him with cause, especially considering Howard's actions at the BTT last year. If they were smart, they'd fire Howard and bring back Beilein.

Teams press like that until the end of the game on a regular basis. Michigan had stopped fouling, though, which is the white flag in that situation. Half hearted pressing with mostly backups in isn't a big deal IMO.

But, as I said, it didn't warrant anything other than a quick WTF while shaking hands and if your feelings were really hurt drive the point home on the floor the next time you play.
Old 02-20-2022, 03:54 PM   #133
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I didn't watch the game, but have tried to catch up a little. I don't know how, given Howard's prestige in the game and leadership qualities, he got to a place where he allowed himself to do that.

OK, so on one hand, don't complain when the other team doesn't walk out the clock when you're still fighting for points. That TO might or might not have been an attempt to rub Michigan's nose in it, but the fact that the press was on makes it a moot point.

Gard should not have stopped Howard in the handshake line, but there are far better ways of handling that. Howard has the experience to do so without starting a brawl.

I guess suspensions are inevitable. Hard to care. They're deserved. It only confirms that I'm still better off without cable television - because basketball is the primary non-OTA-event I miss.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:56 PM   #134
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Teams press like that until the end of the game on a regular basis. Michigan had stopped fouling, though, which is the white flag in that situation. Half hearted pressing with mostly backups in isn't a big deal IMO.

But, as I said, it didn't warrant anything other than a quick WTF while shaking hands and if your feelings were really hurt drive the point home on the floor the next time you play.

I watch way more Big Ten than other conferences but this was pretty far out of the ordinary. At the very least, you should be willing to accept that the other team may call a TO in that situation.
Old 02-20-2022, 05:16 PM   #135
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This is the second wierd thing Howard did this week. Did anyone see him walk out onto the court and grab a live ball a couple games ago? Total mistake of some sort but ridiculous. Got a technical but it didn't factor in the result.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 05:16 PM   #136
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Reading the comments on Twitter about this Howard thing is a great reminder toxic masculinity is alive and well.
Old 02-20-2022, 05:19 PM   #137
JPhillips
General Manager

That's not the part of Woody Hayes' career to emulate.
Old 02-20-2022, 05:50 PM   #138
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Per the Wisc coach, not just backups were in, there were two walk-ons on the floor (that was part of his reasoning in explaining the timeout)
Old 02-20-2022, 05:56 PM   #139
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Howard was an idiot and is going to get punished.

Can we also take a second and talk about Gard grabbing Howard on the way by to stop him? It didn't look like it was in a "hey, coach, let's discuss something" way. Howard was talking and Gard just grabbed him to stop him. That doesn't seem appropriate, either, especially since after that they both start laying hands on each other until they both think better of it and then back off.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-20-2022 at 05:57 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 05:57 PM   #140
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post

I don't think I would go that far, but I can't argue if they did fire him for exactly the reason you gave. I would suspend him for the rest of the season. I am tired of seeing coaches trying to hide their lack of discipline under the guise of their passion for the game, team, being old school, etc.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 06:00 PM   #141
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Howard was an idiot and is going to get punished.

Can we also take a second and talk about Gard grabbing Howard on the way by to stop him? It didn't look like it was in a "hey, coach, let's discuss something" way. Howard was talking and Gard just grabbed him to stop him. That doesn't seem appropriate, either, especially since after that they both start laying hands on each other until they both think better of it and then back off.

SI

Yeah, I agree. You grab a grown man like that and you're going to have trouble. Howard has to keep his cool but he also seemed fine with just walking to the locker room without shaking hands until he was grabbed.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 06:08 PM   #142
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'm seeing it reported that the biggest fine the Big Ten conference is allowed to impose is 2 games and a $10k fine. That's not nearly enough. It would throw it on Michigan whether they decide to go further.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:32 PM   #143
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Yeah, I agree. You grab a grown man like that and you're going to have trouble. Howard has to keep his cool but he also seemed fine with just walking to the locker room without shaking hands until he was grabbed.

Whathisname from Wisc was trying to explain the timeout but Howard wanted to keep being a whiny bitch.

It's a good opportunity for Michigan to rid themselves of an overmatched underperformer
Old 02-20-2022, 06:43 PM   #144
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Whathisname from Wisc was trying to explain the timeout but Howard wanted to keep being a whiny bitch.

It's a good opportunity for Michigan to rid themselves of an overmatched underperformer

Yeah this angle makes it clear. Howard says something like I'll remember this shit. Gard tries to smooth it over. Howard handles it horribly.

Old 02-20-2022, 06:51 PM   #145
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Yeah this angle makes it clear. Howard says something like I'll remember this shit. Gard tries to smooth it over. Howard handles it horribly.
“DON’T FUCKING TOUCH ME” pic.twitter.com/XfnVaEVtiT
— Barstool Sports (@barstoolsports) February 21, 2022

...I guess? Gard still grabbed Howard's arm from that angle. Who does that? Again, what Howard did was much worse - he blew this up into a national story instead of a dumb local spat. But it was clear in the handshake line that Howard wasn't going to shake Gard's hand and, yeah, he said "don't effing touch me". Felt like a power play move to force the handshake. This was not a de-escalation move.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-20-2022 at 06:52 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:01 PM   #146
Kodos
Resident Alien

Howard should be fired.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:03 PM   #147
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
...I guess? Gard still grabbed Howard's arm from that angle. Who does that? Again, what Howard did was much worse - he blew this up into a national story instead of a dumb local spat. But it was clear in the handshake line that Howard wasn't going to shake Gard's hand and, yeah, he said "don't effing touch me". Felt like a power play move to force the handshake. This was not a de-escalation move.

SI

It doesn't seem that strange to me. Here's an old but wonderful resource

» CoachShakes: The Week in College Basketball Handshakes
Old 02-21-2022, 05:51 PM   #148
Atocep
Coordinator

Michigan suspends Howard for 5 games, which gets him back for the Big 10 and NCAA tournaments. I expected at least until the NCAA tournament so he gets off lighter than I expected.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:56 PM   #149
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah that's a definite slap on the wrist under the circumstances. Boo.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:46 PM   #150
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Five games seems about right to me. It's implied that he cannot do anything like this again.

I'm surprised the two Wisconsin assistants who certainly were escalating the situation (one tackled one of the Michigan players who got a game for later trading punches or attempted punches with the suspended Wisconsin player) are not being disciplined at all. Granted, none of this happens if Howard doesn't behave like a horse's ass over a time out.

Maybe Howard did it out of kindness toward his fellow former Fab Five teammate - no longer connected to the most infamous time out in Michigan history.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote