Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2022, 08:24 PM   #251
Thomkal
Head Coach

Man left the room when it looked like KY was starting to pull away, had to go back in
Old 03-17-2022, 08:41 PM   #252
miami_fan
Coordinator

Practice your free throws kids.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:42 PM   #253
tarcone
Coordinator

Thank god I dont have to listen to Iowa lost BS for the next 12 hours. Thank you Kentucky

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:43 PM   #254
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I hope UConn loses so we arent the only 5 to lose.

"Good news, everyone"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:44 PM   #255
bronconick
College Starter

Coach Cal loves those one and done's.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:44 PM   #256
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Practice your free throws kids.

About a 2008 Cal coached team in a game I've seen many times: "The free throws did it, Jim"

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-17-2022 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:45 PM   #257
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Coach Cal loves those one and done's.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:50 PM   #258
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow St. Peter's
Old 03-17-2022, 10:09 PM   #259
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So I spent the night at a concert in Nashville instead of home watching UK.

Good call.

As one of our local weathermen and big UK fan put it, Cal followed up the worst season in UK history with the worst loss in UK history.

The natives are getting restless.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-17-2022 at 10:10 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:35 PM   #260
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
I had Iowa losing in the Sweet Sixteen so I don't feel too bad. I regret not picking Michigan more tbh.

Don't. They could win or lose by 20 to anybody they play. Could easily have lost their first game and looked like they would for a good part of it. Suffice to say there are multiple better teams already out of the tournament.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 08:55 AM   #261
miami_fan
Coordinator

It would not have been anything rational if I picked them. I was going the Bill Simmons route of Michigan being the team that thinks that everyone was against them in light of the Howard incident. It was my rational side that stopped me.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-18-2022, 09:18 AM   #262
PilotMan
Head Coach

I watched the entire UK game, and damn, I don't particularly have a big heart for UK, other than living here, but the game sort of left me speechless. I'm cheering for St Peters to hang in there and fight, and at the same time, blown away that UK couldn't break away. I thought when they went up by 6 with 3 to play, that they had the momentum and skill on their side, then they just folded up. The final minute of regulation was tense and OT was fun. I still can't believe that UK lost in the first round. What a gigantic failure.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 11:22 AM   #263
Kodos
Resident Alien

IU got whupped pretty good last night. They were clearly the better team. But returning to the tournament was a nice first step for Coach Woodson and the team. Glad to see Kentucky lost. And that one-and-done line was great!
Old 03-18-2022, 12:06 PM   #264
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So the Texas AD was at the airport yesterday waiting for his flight to Milwaukee for the game today. Flight was delayed twice and ended up getting cancelled. He met a couple of other guys who were also going to fly to the game, so they decided to make a road trip out of it. He documented the journey on Twitter.

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 01:06 PM   #265
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Wished Wyoming had made it to Portland, but a hell of a turnaround for that new coach in such a short period of time. We'll see if they can build on it.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 01:51 PM   #266
Ksyrup

Crappy early games today.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-18-2022, 02:19 PM   #267
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Yeah not much watching so far
Old 03-18-2022, 04:43 PM   #268
Ksyrup

I will never understand not running the clock down and living/dying with a last shot to tie or win. USC gave Miami the ball with 10 seconds left and lost. Half court heave is not the high percentage shot to win that they could have had just running the clock down. Stupid.
Old 03-18-2022, 04:48 PM   #269
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I will never understand not running the clock down and living/dying with a last shot to tie or win. USC gave Miami the ball with 10 seconds left and lost. Half court heave is not the high percentage shot to win that they could have had just running the clock down. Stupid.

Not giving yourself a chance for a 2nd chance bucket or foul after a miss is the stupid thing.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 05:01 PM   #270
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Hoping it gets balanced out by Duke getting upset.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 05:51 PM   #271
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

You can't run down the clock for a two to tie IMO. If you are going to run down the clock then you have to be looking for a three to win the game in regulation. Once you have made the call to go for two, you get the two as quickly as you can. If you miss, you give yourself time for the second chance opportunity and/or to play the foul game. If you make it, well you have to get a stop to go to overtime. They did the first part and failed on the second part.
Old 03-18-2022, 06:11 PM   #272
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I had almost forgotten what it was like to win a March Madness game
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 07:24 PM   #273
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
As one of our local weathermen and big UK fan put it, Cal followed up the worst season in UK history with the worst loss in UK history.

The natives are getting restless.

Future looks a little sketchy too. You lose two of your better players as Seniors and Washington is going to go pro. Sharpe probably follows suit. And their 2022 recruiting class is pretty bad for Kentucky.

Cal is not a good game coach, so unless he is playing with a massive talent advantage, it could get ugly. Have to pray that Collins and Hopkins don't transfer.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:08 PM   #274
miami_fan
Coordinator

Exhale Illinois fans.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:17 PM   #275
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Future looks a little sketchy too. You lose two of your better players as Seniors and Washington is going to go pro. Sharpe probably follows suit. And their 2022 recruiting class is pretty bad for Kentucky.

Cal is not a good game coach, so unless he is playing with a massive talent advantage, it could get ugly. Have to pray that Collins and Hopkins don't transfer.

Kentucky just signed a "model" NIL law that all schools were happy about. There's talk (at least before the debacle) that someone could pay Oscar enough to stay for another year. But yeah, he's either missed, not developed, or not had the right mix of players for several years running.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:18 PM   #276
RainMaker
General Manager

Cockburn is quite the imposing player inside. Illini should have had him playing offensive guard too.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:22 PM   #277
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
You can't run down the clock for a two to tie IMO. If you are going to run down the clock then you have to be looking for a three to win the game in regulation. Once you have made the call to go for two, you get the two as quickly as you can. If you miss, you give yourself time for the second chance opportunity and/or to play the foul game. If you make it, well you have to get a stop to go to overtime. They did the first part and failed on the second part.

All I know is, I'm not leaving my opponent with the last shot in a tie game and plenty of time to set up a play when I have complete control of the last shot. Miami didn't even need to score - they just drew a foul. If your opponent succeeds, you're left with a half court shot down 2 when you just had the exact same scenario 20 seconds earlier with the chance to keep the ball away from your opponent.

This plays out like the end of FB games now. You keep the ball for as long as you can and give your opponent no time. They gave Miami 10 seconds. That's like giving a FB team 2 minutes with the ball at their 30 needing a FG to win.
Old 03-18-2022, 10:21 PM   #278
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Cockburn is quite the imposing player inside. Illini should have had him playing offensive guard too.

A bunch of us on a Kansas board were talking about how he was like a soph/junior Udoka Azibuike.

SI

Old 03-18-2022, 10:25 PM   #279
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
All I know is, I'm not leaving my opponent with the last shot in a tie game and plenty of time to set up a play when I have complete control of the last shot. Miami didn't even need to score - they just drew a foul. If your opponent succeeds, you're left with a half court shot down 2 when you just had the exact same scenario 20 seconds earlier with the chance to keep the ball away from your opponent.

This plays out like the end of FB games now. You keep the ball for as long as you can and give your opponent no time. They gave Miami 10 seconds. That's like giving a FB team 2 minutes with the ball at their 30 needing a FG to win.

But you have to make it a tie game first.

If USC had the ball with the game tied, I would agree with you. You hold it so only you have a shot to win the game. That was not the case. When USC got the ball, they were down two with 24 seconds left. At that point, they have to score or they lose. That is the #1 priority at that point. Minimizing the amount of time left for the opponent is secondary.
Old 03-18-2022, 10:35 PM   #280
RainMaker
General Manager

Refs furiously trying to get Michigan State to cover here.
Old 03-18-2022, 10:35 PM   #281
Ksyrup

You don't have to tie it, you can win. And keep your opponent from winning. If you take the shot with 6 seconds, you either put your opponent in a bad spot or you can get an offensive rebound and perhaps tie it and live to make it to OT.

In the scenario you describe, you're just playing for OT but need to make a shot AND get a defensive stop. With the ball and no shot clock. I'm taking it down to where I either win or have a chance to tie on a miss. And yeah, I could lose. But tying it and giving my opponent plenty of time for a set play is giving your opponent the advantage to win.

I agree with scoring quickly when you're down or with more time on the clock. But not in that situation. Too much has to go right just to get to OT when you can just grab the game and win it.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-18-2022 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2022, 10:39 PM   #282
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Refs furiously trying to get Michigan State to cover here.

Feels like a lot of bs where they swallowed the whistle to let Sparty "crank up the defensive intensity" to get back in it and now they're tweeting every single thing in the last 3 minutes.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-18-2022 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-18-2022, 10:41 PM   #283
bhlloy
Coordinator

Davidson is just getting fucked, no other way to say it. This has been disgraceful refereeing.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 10:45 PM   #284
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Feels like a lot of bs where they swallowed the whistle to let Sparty "crank up the defensive intensity" to get back in it and now they're tweeting every single thing in the last 3 minutes.

SI

Yup
Old 03-18-2022, 10:54 PM   #285
RainMaker
General Manager

All that work and that late 3 blows the cover.
Old 03-18-2022, 11:00 PM   #286
Ksyrup

2 fouls for 18 minutes and then 4 on one trip down the floor.
Old 03-18-2022, 11:04 PM   #287
RainMaker
General Manager

That one on the press was so bad too.
Old 03-19-2022, 12:39 PM   #288
HerRealName
College Prospect

I'm ready to ban all charges at this point.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 12:41 PM   #289
Jas_lov
College Starter

Never figured out why they can't have 2 games on during these early time slots.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 01:05 PM   #290
bhlloy
Coordinator

Nice to see Baylor is getting the refs from last night where one team is allowed to play as physical as they like on the press and the other gets called for breathing on someone.

Last edited by bhlloy : 03-19-2022 at 01:05 PM.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 01:05 PM   #291
Ksyrup

If UNC blows a 25 point lead with 10 minutes left...
Old 03-19-2022, 01:32 PM   #292
JPhillips
General Manager

This game is nuts. NC should still be able to win with the last shot, though.

If they go to OT, NC has no chance.
Old 03-19-2022, 01:33 PM   #293
Jas_lov
College Starter

25 point lead blown.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 01:37 PM   #294
JPhillips
General Manager

Bad last shot there by NC. Baylor has to be a big favorite in OT.
Old 03-19-2022, 01:37 PM   #295
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

11 seconds left, and you have a time out to draw up a play. And you end up with “dribble out the clock and take a long fall away 3 at the buzzer.” Fucking stupid.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 01:44 PM   #296
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Bad last shot there by NC. Baylor has to be a big favorite in OT.

Another end of game situation I never understand - going for a 3 pointer when you don't need it. All you need is a single FT to win! Drive and score/foul, or draw the D and kick out for a wide open shot.
Old 03-19-2022, 01:46 PM   #297
Ksyrup

If UNC survives, is Manek subject to any additional suspension? They keep talking about it being controversial but he almost dislocated his elbow as high as he got it. He only had one thing on his mind with an elbow that high.
Old 03-19-2022, 01:50 PM   #298
JPhillips
General Manager

RJ Davis has been trying to do too much, but holy shit that was a great shot and foul.
Old 03-19-2022, 01:50 PM   #299
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
11 seconds left, and you have a time out to draw up a play. And you end up with “dribble out the clock and take a long fall away 3 at the buzzer.” Fucking stupid.

I watch a ton of basketball. 9/10 times this is what you get at the end of a quarter/half/game.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 02:04 PM   #300
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Still dancing. #GoHeels
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote