Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-01-2005, 12:31 AM   #1
korme
Go Reds

Cooperstown

Anyone visited the Hall? I realized today while watching the ceremony that that is one place I would really love to check out. I could probably spend 10 hours there each day for a week.

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:49 AM   #2
Raven
College Prospect

I went there in '95. I thought it was cool then, and have learned a lot more about baseball history since then. Would definitely like to make a trip back....maybe when Cal gets inducted.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:51 AM   #3
korme
Go Reds

Yea I should probably wait until 2008 so I can check out all the stuff for Larkin.

*crosses fingers*
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:22 AM   #4
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I've been there once, around 10 years ago. Really fascinating place, there's so much baseball history to learn about there.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:38 AM   #5
SnowMan
High School Varsity

I was there the year Ozzie got in, in late September. It was a place I could spend a few days in. Very nostalgic and awe-inspiring, if you're a baseball nut like I am.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:16 AM   #6
Psmith
n00b

TredWel and I went there in the fall of '03. He loved it, but I, not being a baseball fan, was bored silly. There are some other cool places in and around Cooperstown, so you can easily make a day or two of it.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:31 AM   #7
rewissick
n00b

They just completed a major overhaul/redesign and rededication this past spring, which I haven't had the chance to check out yet. I've heard good things, though.

I spent my college summers (95-99) working there. My sister-in-law actually works there, and it's where I met my wife. You could say it's one of my favorite places.

I'd give this advice, though. Go on a weekend in the spring or fall. It's a small town, and the crowds they can sometime get on the 'big' weekend can be unbelievable. When school is in session, and families take less vacations, it is a much more peaceful place. It's not like you see the HOFers walking around on the street anyway, so you don't miss anything. (except for the Saturday evening before induction...if you get the chance to be in town then, hang out right in front of the HOF visitor entrance. You can usually catch Stan Musial playing his harmonica...very cool)
rewissick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:31 AM   #8
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Definitely a place you need to check out at least once. Not just for the Hall itself, which is awesome, but the whole town is just like a perfect little slice of Americana. Picture small town USA, but with a baseball theme. Heaven!!
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:46 AM   #9
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I grew up nearby and I think that town (despite the tourist trappings) exemplifies the beauty and liveability of Upstate New York. My mom used to be a counselor for many years at a camp along the lake. We left the area when I was 12 so it wasn't until 1995 that I finally went to the Hall and the Musuem. Highly recommend. But also, don't forget about the other attractions around town, esp. perhaps the best Farmer's Musuem in the country.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:18 AM   #10
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Yea I should probably wait until 2008 so I can check out all the stuff for Larkin.

*crosses fingers*

I'll be going in five years or so that I can see Bags' and Bidge's exhibits...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:20 AM   #11
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281

*crosses fingers*

Shorty, he's one of the 10-15 best SS of all time, but the idiots who pose as sportswriters might not get that. Here's hoping I underestimate them.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote