Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The Lost Movies Dynasty

I've had this idea for a while, but never got around to doing it. As a movie buff, I use to scour the video stores and look for the most random movies, trying to find some gem that just never got attention. Often, on the bottom shelf I would find something that was really funny and/or interesting. I've seen so many of these random movies and always thought it was a shame they never got the recognition they deserve.

The idea for this dynasty is to do profiles and reviews on some of the movies that I've seen over the years that fir this criteria. this would include movies that made very little money, some that didn't even get released, or some that are just severely underrated. Hopefully I'll be able to point people to some good movies that they hadn't heard of before.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The Last Supper (1996)

Director: Stacy Title

Cast: Cameron Diaz, Annabeth Gish, Courtney B. Vance, Ron Eldard, Jonathan Penner, Ron Perlman, Mark Harmon, Jason Alexander, Charles Durning

Synopsis/Review: Jude (Diaz), Pete (Eldard), Paulie (Gish), Marc (Penner), and Luke(Vance) are very liberal grad students sharing a house. Every Sunday they invite someone over for dinner and discussion. On one of these occasions, Pete brings Zach (Paxton) over for dinner. Zach is a Gulf War veteran who has no patiencefor liberal ideals, but it is not until he casually states, "Hitler had the right idea" that all hell breaks loose. The discussion escalates and by the end of the night, Zach has a knife in his back. They're initially distraught over this, but later learn that he had kidnapped and raped a little girl. Loving the idea that they saved the world from a serial killer, they get the idea to inviteconservative extremists over for dinner and conversation, and poison them ifthey don't change their mind.

It doesn't sound like the funniest idea ever, but everything plays out in a darkly satirical manner. The dinner scenes form the nucleus of the movie, and they are very, very funny. The conservative guests are played by a variety of well known actors, ranging from Charles Durning as a bible thumping anti-gay Reverend (definitely channeling Falwell), Jason Alexander as an anti-environmentalist, and Mark Harmon as a chauvinist that claims most rape claims are bogus. However, the best performance comes from Ron Perlman as a popular right wing talk show host (not hard to figure out who he's supposed to represent). He completely steals the third act from the rest of the cast. It should be noted that this is no one dimensional political attack film. This is a satire and it hits all targets. One of my favorite lines is when Jude explains, "Conservatives are effective. They do things. All we do is buy animal-friendly mascara."

This was only Stacy Title's second film (after an Oscar nominated short), and her career wouldn't go anywhere after this, but she does superior work here. The plot moves along swiftly and she uses very creative and visually striking transitions to move from scene to scene. Dan Rosen's screenplay is funny and insightful, nicely balancing the the well rounded main characters with the broad comic outlines of the supporting cast. He also wrote Dead Man's Curve, which attained a cult following, but his career didn't amount to much after that. The film got some minor attention due to the presence of Cameron Diaz. This was the first movie she made after her debut in The Mask. She said she read the script and couldn't stop laughing. Unfortunately, her presence wasn't enough to make this a financial success, as it only achieved a minor theatrical release and grossed $440,000.

Diaz's career didn't really break out until two years later when she appeared with Julia Roberts in the hugely successful My Best Friend's Wedding. After that, it was a meteoric rise to the point where she is now one of the highest paid female stars. Other co-stars have had varying degrees of success. Ron Eldard has been consistently busy, most notably showing up in Mystery, Alaska and the House of Sand and Fog. Courtney B. Vance (husband of Angela Bassett) is a two time Tony winner who has done mostly TV work lately, showing up in ER, Law & Order: CI, and Flash Forward. Annabeth Gish would appear in 23 episodes of the X-Files and most recently starred in the Showtime series Brotherhood. The least well known of the main cast was Jonathan Penner, who co-directed the Oscar nominated short with Stacy Title and made one more film with her in 1999.

Summary: Very enjoyable dark comedy with great technical production, strong performances, and a hilarious script. highly recommended for people interested in politics, and probably funniest if you can find a friend of the opposite political persuasion to watch it with.

Youtube clips:

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote