Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
The Demetrius Taylor Story (OOTP)

April 13, 2007
Tempe, Arizona

Well, here I am, beginning a diary. I never thought I’d write one of these things, but the occasion calls for it, I guess. This is the day that I begin my journey as a professional baseball manager. It’s funny; I’m now 35 years old, and I thought by this point in my life I’d be wrapping up my major league career. Oh well, you never know what curveballs life will throw you.

So how did I get here? Well, let me briefly recap. I’m from Inglewood, California, in the L.A. area. I always wanted to play sports, and I did just that at Inglewood High School. I was the starting point guard on the basketball team, and the starting shortstop on the baseball team. I ended up going to San Jose State University on a baseball scholarship. I was offered a baseball scholarship by UCLA, too, but they wouldn’t give me the chance to play basketball also, while the Spartans let me walk-on. I know… a foolish choice. I ended up stinking up the joint in basketball, and by my sophomore year I was only playing baseball as a second baseman.

Luckily, I was a late-round draft pick by the Dodgers in 1994. I grew up watching the Dodgers, so you can imagine how happy I was to be drafted by them. I had a slow climb up the minors, mainly because even though I was pretty good with the leather, I couldn’t hit curveballs. I improved, though, and I made it all the way up to AAA in Albuquerque in 1997. But in May that year, I tore some tendons in my shoulder diving for a ball, and just like that, my playing career was over. That really messed me up.

I went back to L.A., where my family helped get me back on the right track. I got an education degree at SJSU, and I put that to use by coaching baseball at local schools. I married my girlfriend LaVonne that same year, and we now have three kids: 8-year-old Omar, 6-year-old Toni, and 4-year-old Darnell.

In 2002 I was offered the opportunity to be the head coach of my alma mater Inglewood High School’s baseball team. I don’t need to tell you what choice I made. For four seasons, I coached Inglewood, and it was the most rewarding time of my life. We regularly made the state playoffs, something we never did when I was a student there. We did that despite financial problems with the school and the fact that students cared more about basketball there.

I felt good about our chances this year, but the rug was pulled from under us when the school board announced it was cutting the baseball program because of financial reasons – right before the season was to begin. That messed me up big time. But a friend of mine stepped in and helped me out.

Russell Walker was a teammate of mine at Inglewood High School. A first baseman, he wound up spending a lot of time in the Angels’ minor league system before retiring in 2000. He became a hitting coach with the Angels’ California League team, Rancho Cucamonga, but he decided to leave in search of better avenues after last season.

The two of us hung out in February, with me still in a funk about what had happened at Inglewood. Russ said, “D.P. (back in the day, everybody in Inglewood called me D.P. because I was known for setting up lots of double plays), you know you got what it takes to be a coach or even a manager in the pros. I saw how intense you were at Inglewood. You belong in the pros.”

“Yeah, right. Besides, I haven’t been in contact with anybody since I left the Dodgers.”

“What are you talking about, man? What am I, chop liver? Listen, I’ll call up some folks in the Angels organization and see what I can come up with for you.”

“You serious?”

“Dead right, I am. Give me a couple of days.”

A few days later, Angels GM Bill Stoneman invited me to come down to spring training in Tempe, Arizona to do some paid work as a fielding instructor. It would be sort of a trial period while the Angels got to know me. I thought I would take the chance, so I took leave from my P.E. teaching job and went down to Arizona. I helped the rookies and young guys improve their fielding. Even after most of the guys left spring training to join the Angels and their affiliates, I stayed behind and helped many of the guys left in Tempe.

I must have done a good job as an instructor, because today Mr. Stoneman called me to his office and made me a job offer. “Taylor, I would like for you to manage our rookie league team in the Pioneer League, the Orem Owlz.”

“Orem, sir?”

“Yep. Orem, Utah.”

Now, I wasn’t counting on going up to Utah. But hey… a pro managerial job is a pro managerial job, and it sounded like a good challenge. I took the job on the spot.

That’s it for the first entry of this diary. Hopefully this diary will be filled with lots of good memories over the next few years.

bbgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:08 AM   #2
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Out-of-character Explanation

Before going any further, let me explain what I will do with this dynasty. Using a character called Demetrius Taylor, I will begin a managerial career in OOTP at the Rookie League level and attempt to make my way up to the Majors. I will be using OOTP 8 for this dynasty.

I will present the dynasty with game-by-game or series-by-series recaps, plus other tidbits from time-to-time focusing on Taylor’s personal life and experiences. I may include some emails, letters, and news clippings as well if the situation allows.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

April 17, 2007 – Orem, Utah

Let me tell you… Orem is a far cry from L.A., that’s for sure. There are mountains around both places, but Orem is really small compared to L.A.

This morning I did a local press conference introducing me as the Owlz’ new manager. There were probably six reporters in all, plus a camera or two from the local TV stations. One of the reporters asked me how I felt to be the first black manager of the Owlz. That question was kind of surprising, but you know, I’m not here to be a black manager. I’m here to be a good manager.

After a few days meeting and greeting here in Utah, I’ll go back to Arizona for a few more weeks, then take a few weeks off to spend time with my family in L.A. before finally coming back here to begin the season in June.

Now, for some quick information about the Pioneer League. There are eight teams, divided into North and South divisions. The North Division has nothing but Montana teams: Billings, Great Falls, Helena, and Missoula. The South Division has a team in Wyoming (Casper), a team in Idaho (Idaho Falls), and two teams here in Utah (Orem and Odgen).
Old 03-18-2010, 12:12 AM   #4
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

May 13, 2007

Yesterday I arrived back here in Los Angeles for a couple of weeks of R&R with my family. It sure was good to see LaVonne and the kids again. We hugged for what seemed like hours at the airport. For the next two weeks, my time is their time.

Today I got a call out of the blue from Russell Walker, my Inglewood buddy who helped get me the Orem job. I knew something great had happened, because he was screaming as soon as I said hello.

“My man, check this out: you are speaking to the new manager of the Washington Nationals!”

“What? Serious?”

“Dead right, I am. You know they canned Manny Acta a couple of days ago. I decided what the heck, and I gave them a call. I went in for an interview, and BAM! I’m hired!”

“For real? That is great, Russ! I’m happy for you.”

And that was the truth. You don’t find too many good guys like Russ. He put in his time as a hitting coach with Rancho Cucamonga, and he made quite an impression. That’s a big jump, though, from the California League to the majors. But he might be alright. Anyway, congratulations, Big Russ.

(Editor’s note: When I started this dynasty, I put Russell Walker in the game as an unemployed hitting coach with above average hitting coach skills (12/20), and below average at best at everything else. I thought he would spend his career in the minors, but apparently the Nationals thought highly of him and gave him the manager’s position. Go figure.)
Old 03-18-2010, 12:13 AM   #5
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

June 19, 2007 – Opening Day Roster

Well, the day I’ve been waiting for is finally here! The staff and I have been working through the roster that GM Bill Stoneman sent to Orem, and this is what we have:

STARTING ROTATION
  • Aaron Cook – 23 yo righty. Played for Orem last year (3-2, 4.50) Rated 4.5 out of 5 stars in potential by my scout.
  • Trevor Bell – 20 year old righty. Played at Orem last year (4-2, 3.50). Started this year up at Rancho Cucamonga (A) before being sent down recently.
  • Matt Reilly – 23 yo undrafted rookie. A righty. Rated 2.5 in potential.
  • Bryan Richardson – 21 yo rookie. 7th round draft pick. A righty. Like with all the draftees this year, scouting report pending.
  • Dylan Peacock – 21 yo righty. Formerly a reliever in the Arizona Rookie League, I moved him to starter because we have only four actual starting pitchers.
BULLPEN
  • Jesus Carrasco – 22 yo rookie from Mexico. A righty. 19th round draft pick.
  • Robert Cassevah – 21 yo righty. Spent the last two years in the Arizona League and here in Orem. Spent time at Rancho Cucamonga earlier this year.
  • Javier Garcia – 20 yo rookie from Chile. A righty. 3rd round draft pick.
  • Bill Pitts – 22 yo rookie. A righty. 18th round draft pick.
  • Danny Wise – 22 yo rookie. A righty. 22nd round draft pick.
  • Robert Romero – 22 yo righty. Spent the last two seasons in Rookie (including a few games here in Orem in 2005) and Single A ball. Will be the closer for us.
So, that’s a pitching staff of eleven, and not one lefty in the group. Wow.

LINEUP
  1. 2B Javier Gonzalez – 20 yo rookie from Cuba. 16th round pick.
  2. 3B Nigel Browne – 20 yo rookie from Australia. 20th round pick.
  3. C Ramon Pineiro – 21 yo rookie. 12th round pick. A decent power hitter and great at running the bases.
  4. 1B Gordi Gronkowski – 23 yo. Spent last season here (13 games, .282, 3 RBI).
  5. RF Ralph Reece – 19 yo rookie. 10th round draft pick. A native of Riverton, Utah. A great fielder.
  6. LF Anel De Los Santos – 19 yo. Spent last season here (29 games, .250, 1 HR, 11 RBI).
  7. SS Douglas Reinhardt – 21 yo. Spent last season here (23 games, .188, 5 RBI). Popular among Orem fans. Not sure why. He has no desire to be a leader, has no work ethic, and is not very bright. A good fielder, but more of a natural third baseman.
  8. CF Mike Fraser – 21 yo rookie. 6th round draft pick. Amazing baserunning and stealing skills.
  9. DH Larry Infante – 22 yo second baseman from Venezuela. Spent most of last season with Single A Cedar Rapids in the Midwest League, although he was called up for a cup of coffee with Salt Lake City (AAA). Put up so-so numbers in Single A (.254 batting average), but not sure why they sent him all the way down to the rookie league this year (he hasn’t played a game in 2007 yet). On par with Gonzalez defensively at second base, but Gonzalez is a better hitter.
BENCH
  • 3B Abel Nieves – 21 yo Canadian. Spent most of last year here (.259, 1 HR, 29 RBI), but played a few games with Rancho Cucamonga (A) and Salt Lake City (AAA). Popular with the fans.
  • 3B Ryan Leahy – 25 yo Puerto Rican. Most of last year was spent with Rancho Cucamonga, although Leahy went to Cedar Rapids (A) for a couple of weeks. I’ll probably platoon him with Browne.
  • LF Darrell Sales – 21 yo. Spent last year here (.224, 0 HR, 19 RBI). Played a few games with Rancho Cucamonga this season.
  • RF Chris Pettit – 22 yo undrafted rookie. Played 37 games with Rancho Cucamonga this season, but a .165 average caused the Angels management to send him here.
  • RF Jeremy Moore – 19 yo. Spent the last two years in the Arizona League.

Well, there’s your 2007 Owlz… for now. By the way, the team owner thinks this team should make the playoffs! Homeboy’s already laying the pressure on thick!
Old 03-18-2010, 12:15 AM   #6
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

June 19, 2007

Odgen Raptors (0-0) at Orem Owlz (0-0)

We begin a three-game series here at home with our Utah rivals, Odgen Raptors, who also happen to be the Dodgers’ affiliate! Back when I played in the Pioneer League, Great Falls was the Dodgers’ affiliate. It’s a sellout crowd here of 3,200! This is getting me pumped up! Anyway, I hope we can get off to a good start.

Final: Odgen 9, Orem 2
L: Aaron Cook (0-1)

So much for that good start. Odgen creamed our starter, and Odgen’s own starter had his way with our offense. Gonzalez, Pineiro, and Fraser all had two hits in this game, and Fraser made two crazy catches in the outfield, saving us from getting killed even more. I told the boys not to worry; this is just Game 1, and the season is long. We’ll be fine. Of course, whether I believe that or not is a different story.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:56 AM   #7
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

June 20, 2007

Odgen Raptors (1-0) at Orem Owlz (0-1)

Final: Odgen 5, Orem 1
L: Trevor Bell (0-1)

For some reason, we cannot generate runs, even though we had seven hits to Odgen’s eight. We were only down 2-1 heading into the ninth. In retrospect, I should have pulled Bell since he had already thrown 100 pitches, but I left him in, and he was shellacked for three more runs. If I had to choose a player of the game, it would be 2B Javier Gonzalez, who had two hits today.

RF Ralph Reece injured himself running to first base late in the game, and we had to take him out. We’ll find out more about his injury later.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:57 AM   #8
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

June 21, 2007

Odgen Raptors (2-0) at Orem Owlz (0-2)

It turns out that Ralph Reece strained his Achilles tendon trying to hustle for a hit. Luckily, he is only day-to-day and should be fully healed in 4 days. I’m not taking any chances with the 19-year-old kid, though. He’ll rest tonight, and Chris Pettit will take his place.

Final: Orem 7, Odgen 3
W: Robert Cassevah (1-0)
SV: Jesus Carrasco (1)

Finally, my first win as a pro manager! We won thanks to a big bottom of the 2nd, when we scored five runs and forced Odgen to pull its starter. The player of the game was 3B Nigel Browne. The Australian had three hits, three RBI, one run and one walk. Honorable mention also goes to Ryan Leahy, a backup who started at shortstop today. He had three hits, an RBI and two runs.

Some bad news, though: our starter Matt Reilly injured himself in the top of the 4th. He picked up a weak hit in the infield and something popped as he threw the ball to first base, throwing it wide and giving Odgen their first run. Hopefully it’s not something too serious; we need our starters if we are going to have any success.

Well, the first series is over. Now we embark on a six-game, two-series road trip, first to Idaho Falls (who is 0-3 right now), then to Odgen for a rematch with the Raptors.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

June 22, 2007

Orem Owlz (1-2) at Idaho Falls Chukars (0-3)

I was reminded about something today about the Pioneer League. They use the split-season format. The playoffs will be contested by the top team in each division in the first half of the season and the top teams at the end of the season. If a team led the division both in the first half and at the end of the season, the second-place team will make the playoffs.

Anyway, an injury update, and it is bad: SP Matt Reilly tore his labrum and will be out for eight months! That really messes us up now.

Last night after the game, I received an email from GM Bill Stoneman. Yep, it’s transaction time. First of all, here are the players we lost:
  • SS Douglas Reinhardt (promoted to Single A Rancho Cucamonga)
  • SP Aaron Cook (demoted to Rookie League AZL Angels)
  • 3B Nigel Browne (demoted to Rookie League AZL Angels)
  • RF Ralph Reece (demoted to Rookie League AZL Angels)
  • RF Chris Pettit (demoted to Rookie League AZL Angels)
  • 2B Javier Gonzalez (demoted to Rookie League AZL Angels)
  • LF Darrell Sales (demoted to Rookie League AZL Angels)
  • RF Jeremy Moore (demoted to Rookie League AZL Angels)
Are you kidding me? Browne and Gonzalez were my second- and third-best hitters. Browne and Reinhardt were one-two in RBI. And he demotes Browne and Gonzalez? I don’t get it. Thanks a lot, Stoneman.

Now for the players we received:
  • MR Edgardo Duran (promoted from Rookie League AZL Angels)
    21 yo rookie from Puerto Rico. A righty (of course). 25th round draft pick. Hasn’t pitched at all so far this year. Superb work ethic.
  • LF Eloy Gutierrez (promoted from Rookie League AZL Angels)
    22 yo free agent signed last night. Previously was in the Dodgers’ farm system. Very nice arm but weak hitter.
  • RF Clayton Fuller (demoted from Single A Rancho Cucamonga)
    20 yo Texan. In 59 games with Rancho Cucamonga this year, has .264 avg, 0 HR and 13 RBI.
  • CF Rey Maldonado (demoted from Single A Rancho Cucamonga)
    22 yo rookie from Colombia. 8th round draft pick. Played 3 games in Single A (.357).
  • 3B Ryan Mount (promoted from Rookie League AZL Angels)
    20 yo from California. Hasn’t played at all this year, but played here last year (.285, 9 HR, 38 RBI).
  • SS Alex Fonseca (promoted from Rookie League AZL Angels)
    23 yo. Was in the Arizona League since last year. Good defensive shortstop.
  • 2B Ryan Pressley (promoted from Rookie League AZL Angels)
    20 yo from the Dominican Republic. Spent the last two seasons in the Arizona League.
  • LF Anderson Rosario (demoted from Single A Rancho Cucamonga)
    22 yo from the Dominican Republic. Has been in the Angels system for a few years. This year in 65 games in Single A, he put up these stats: .212, 0 HR, 21 RBI, 23 BB, 27 K. Rosario has tremendous upside, being rated a 5 out of 5 by my scout in potential. Should be a great contact and gap hitter with superb ability to avoid Ks. He stinks right now, though.

With that, this is the new primary lineup:
- C Pineiro
- 2B Infante
- 1B Gronkowski
- RF Gutierrez (weak hitter, yeah, but he has some pop and can switch hit)
- DH De Los Santos
- SS Leahy (Fonseca will see a few games at shortstop as well)
- LF Rosario
- 3B Mount
- CF Fraser

As for who will replace Aaron Cook and Matt Reilly in the rotation: one spot goes to Bill Pitts by default, because he has three different pitches and somewhat strong endurance. The other spot… well, we are in deep doo-doo because we have no other pitchers capable of lasting even four innings. I eventually chose Robert Romero because he has an amazing five different pitches in his arsenal, although he is terrible at putting some movement on the ball.

Now for the game. We completely had our way with Idaho Falls (the Royals’ affiliate) in the first three innings, putting up run totals of 1, 4 and 2 before they pulled their starter. Meanwhile, our starter, Bryan Richardson (recently rated as the top pitcher on our staff by my scout, whom I don’t trust with pitching) rang up 5 K’s in the first two innings! Score: 7-0. And if you think the first three innings were impressive, check out the stats from the top of the 7th: eight runs on six hits, including a 2-run homer by CF Mike Fraser! What a pounding. Looks like Mr. Stoneman knew exactly what he was doing by making all those crazy transaction moves.

Final: Orem 17, Idaho Falls 2
W: Bryan Richardson (1-0)
HR: Mike Fraser 2 (2)

I’m amazed at how thoroughly dominant we were. Either Idaho Falls is very bad, or we have greatly improved. (I’m betting on the former.)

We have to start my thoughts on the game with one of the most amazing one-game performances I have ever seen as a manager or player. In six at bats, Mike Fraser had the following line: 6 H, 4 R, 2 HR, 5 RBI. (And I had him batting 9th in the order. Might have to change that.) And that’s not all. Fraser made two great warning track defensive plays in the bottom of the 7th: one catch where he climbed the wall and saved a home run, and another where he made an impossible-looking diving catch to his left. Sixth-round draft pick, indeed.

Honorable mention goes to Richardson, who pitched 8.0 innings and gave up eight hits, only two runs, and struck out seven batters (again, five of them in the first three innings). And he’s a third-round pick. I need to play these high draft picks more often.

And Eloy Gutierrez must have taken offense to my calling him a weak hitter, because he was out to prove me wrong today. His line: 6 AB, 4 H (including 2 doubles), 1 R, 3 RBI.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #10
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Clipping from Provo Daily Herald, June 23, 2007:
Quote:
Provo Daily Herald
Fraser goes 6-6 in Orem win

(Idaho Falls, Idaho) - Mike Fraser really did a number on the Idaho Falls Chukars in the Orem Owlz 17-2 victory. Not just anyone can get 6 hits in 6 at-bats. But Fraser did just that today for the Owlz and gave his batting average a healthy boost and sparked his club in the win.

"I felt real good in the batter's box today. I had confidence in my swing and knew that it was there and that I could get the job done," the 21-year-old center fielder said after his record-setting performance.

Fraser hit an RBI single in the 2nd, hit an RBI single in the 3rd, singled in the 5th, singled in the 7th, hit a two-run home run off the Chukars’ middle reliever Pat Hughes in the 7th and hit a solo-shot off reliever Juan Colon in the 9th.

Last edited by bbgunn : 03-18-2010 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Changed Daily News to Daily Herald
bbgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

June 23, 2007

Orem Owlz (2-2) at Idaho Falls Chukars (0-4)

I can’t get over Idaho Falls’ nickname. What in the world is a Chukar? Makes our nickname seem pretty good by comparison.

Final: Orem 7, Idaho Falls 2
W: Dylan Peacock (1-0)

We didn’t destroy them like yesterday, but a win is a win. We needed a big sixth inning in which we scored 5 runs. Peacock’s pitching was great: four hits, two runs, two walks, three K’s. The top hitter was DH Ryan Leahy (filling in for De Los Santos, who was playing for a tired Pineiro at C). He had 3 H and 1 RBI. Fraser and Gronkowski both had two hits apiece (and Fraser had an RBI).

Despite the win and our 3-2 record, we are still only in a tie for second in the four-team South Division. Odgen is on top at 4-1, while we are tied with the Casper Rockies. It’s still early, though.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #12
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

June 24, 2007

Orem Owlz (3-2) at Idaho Falls Chukars (0-5)

Final: Orem 8, Idaho Falls 3
W: Bill Pitts (1-0)

Another solid win here, our fourth straight. A lot of hits for both teams here (us 14, them 11), but we were able to get more runners home. The Owl of the Game was SS Alex Fonseca, who had 3 H, 3 RBI and a run. Everybody in the Owl lineup had at least one hit.

We went on the road and swept a division opponent! It does look like the Chukars are pretty bad, but this is good for our confidence. We are now 4-2 and in second place, one game behind the Odgen Raptors. Guess who we play on the road next?
Old 03-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #13
BYU 14
Coordinator

Following along, go Orem!!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #14
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Gotta say go Owlz! The play at their shiny field right off the freeway at Utah Valley University (Brent Brown Field if I remember correctly)...

Also, you actually almost hit the local news rag name right off the bat..The Daily Herald is the name.

I am following though.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #15
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Following along, go Orem!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Gotta say go Owlz! The play at their shiny field right off the freeway at Utah Valley University (Brent Brown Field if I remember correctly)...

Also, you actually almost hit the local news rag name right off the bat..The Daily Herald is the name.

I am following though.

Whoops... edited the name of the rag above. And you're right about the ballpark being called Brent Brown Field... at least that is what my research tells me.

Thanks for following along, BYU 14 and MacroGuru.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #16
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

June 25, 2007

Orem Owlz (4-2) at Odgen Raptors (5-1)

If you can call a series a big series this early in the season, this certainly qualifies. The two Utah rivals, affiliated with the two Los Angeles big league teams, battling it out with first place on the line. Our team is doing well, but so is theirs. The Raptors are coming off of a three-game sweep of the Casper Rockies here in Odgen.

Final: Orem 7, Odgen 0
W: Trevor Bell (1-1)
HR: Eloy Gutierrez (1)

Fifth straight win! Our team must have really come together since the last time we played Odgen. I didn’t think we’d get a shutout in this game. It just felt easier to manage this game for some reason. Bell threw a complete-game shutout (7 H, 1 BB, 3 K) and earned Player of the Game honors. The other Owl of the Game was RF Gutierrez (3 H, 3 R, 1 HR, 2 RBI). Everybody had a hit in the game except C Pineiro, who has struggled lately.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #17
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

June 26, 2007

Orem Owlz (5-2) at Odgen Raptors (5-2)

Final: Orem 1, Odgen 0
W: Robert Romero (1-0)
H: Danny Wise (1)
SV: Javier Garcia (1)

A second straight shutout! And we really needed one, because we could only manage one run in a defensive game. The only run of the game was scored on a Gordi Gronkowski single in the top of the 7th. Larry Infante scored the run. Romero, the reliever posing as a starter, did very well, although I had to take him out after six innings because he was running out of gas. Gronkowski and Mike Fraser both had two hits. Because Gronkowski was in a slump, I moved him to 9th in the order, and Fraser to 3rd. You can see the results.

We have now won six straight games, and we are in sole possession of first place… at least for one night. We play the final game of the series tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #18
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

June 27, 2007

Orem Owlz (6-2) at Odgen Raptors (5-3)

I would like nothing more than to complete a sweep of the Raptors tonight and go up two games in the South Division. (Casper is at 4-4.) But I have a nagging feeling that Odgen is gonna throw everything at us tonight. Our best offensive threat, Mike Fraser, is worn out, so we put Clayton Fuller at CF.

Final: Orem 6, Odgen 4
W: Dylan Peacock (2-0)
H: Jesus Carrasco (1)
SV: Robert Cassevah (1)

How about that. It was a close one. Odgen never led, but everytime we scored one or two runs, they had an answer for us. I was worried that they would lay it on thick in the later innings, but our bullpen helped seal the victory.

The Owl of the Game? How about Gronkowski, who had two hits, two runs and two RBI. So he helped create four of our six runs.

Alright! Seven straight wins, a sweep of our rivals, and a two-game lead in the division. (We are also the best overall Pioneer League team by win-loss record.) Now that’s a great beginning to the season. Let’s not blow it, boys.

TOP OWLZ

I’m going to attempt to present some stats from our team leaders at the end of every third series this season, starting now:

AVG:
CF Mike Fraser - .515
RF Eloy Gutierrez - .333
DH/C Anel De Los Santos and 1B Gordi Gronkowski - .286

HR:
Fraser – 2
Gutierrez – 1

RBI:
SS/3B Alex Fonseca and Fraser – 8
Gutierrez and 2B Larry Infante - 6

WINS:
Dylan Peacock – 2
Five other guys - 1

ERA:
Trevor Bell – 2.50
Peacock – 2.87

K:
Bell – 8
Bryan Richardson – 7
Peacock – 6
Old 03-19-2010, 01:43 AM   #19
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

June 28, 2007

Idaho Falls Chukars (2-7) at Orem Owlz (7-2)

Idaho Falls comes to town for a three-gamer. Their pitching staff is the worst in the league, so this should be easy for us… right?

Final: Orem 4, Idaho Falls 3 (10 inn.)
W: Jesus Carrasco (1-0)

We went down 3-0 after three innings, but clawed back to get two runs in the 6th to make it 3-2. Our pitchers shut the Chukars down, although we could not score until the bottom of the ninth, when we loaded the bases, and Larry Infante got a hit to bring home a runner. With two outs, Mike Fraser came up to bat and belted a homer to win it… well, it would have won it had Idaho Falls’ left fielder not climbed the wall and stole the ball. On to extra innings.

Bottom of the 10th: With the bases loaded, Anel De Los Santos, who came on as a pinch hitter in the 9th and played left field this inning, hit the game-winning RBI single to send everybody home. Eight straight wins! This was the best win of the season for me, personally, because we came from being down 3-0 to take the win. We showed ourselves we can come back and win a game.

The Owl of the Game, besides De Los Santos, was Fraser (2 hits, one run, one RBI triple).
Old 03-19-2010, 01:44 AM   #20
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

June 29, 2007

Idaho Falls Chukars (2-8) at Orem Owlz (8-2)

Final: Orem 9, Idaho Falls 2
W: Bill Pitts (2-0)
SV: Edgardo Duran (1)

We started the game with a six-run bottom of the 1st! It was so bad that the Chukars pulled their starter after only 0.2 innings. They could never get close in this one. A solid win. The official Player of the Game was 1B Gordi Gronkowski (3 hits, 2 RBI, 1 run). Another Owl of the Game was DH Rey Maldonado (I’ve been playing him at DH for a few games now). He put up three hits and two RBI. Everyone but shortstop Ryan Leahy had a hit (12 team hits altogether). If you are counting at home, that is nine straight wins.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:45 AM   #21
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

June 30, 2007

Idaho Falls Chukars (2-9) at Orem Owlz (9-2)

By the end of the fifth inning we took a 3-1 lead. Then Idaho Falls clawed back with two more runs in the sixth to tie it up, and that is how the score looks after nine innings. In the top of the 10th, with some timely hitting the Chukars score one run. Uh-oh.

Bottom of the 10th. Our first two batters pop out. One more out, and the Chukars win. Then RF Eloy Gutierrez slaps a solo homer to tie it up at four apiece! We are still in it. We can’t get another run, though, and the inning ends tied at 4-4.

Top of the 11th: some more timely hitting results in a run for Idaho Falls. 5-4 Chukars. Bottom of the 11th: no heroics for us. Three up, three down. Ballgame.

Final: Idaho Falls 5, Orem 4 (11 inn.)
L: Robert Cassevah (1-1)
HR: Eloy Gutierrez (2)

Oh well, I guess the winning streak had to end sometime. Still, we made Idaho Falls work for that win, despite our getting outhit (us 7, them 13). The official Player of the Game was an Owl, Gutierrez (2 H, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 R).

Despite the loss, I tell the boys after the game that their June has been impressive. It’s still early, but a 9-3 start to the season is nothing to sneeze at. I encourage them to keep it up in July.

Of course, tomorrow is July 1, and the first of the month is usually transaction day. That is making me nervous. The buzz around the Angels organization is that Stoneman may promote a lot of my pitching staff, including almost all my bullpen. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. But no use dwelling on those thoughts. We are back on the road tomorrow, this time playing the Casper Rockies for the first time. After that, we come back home for two straight three-game series, the first against Odgen and the second against Casper.

PIONEER LEAGUE - SOUTH DIVISION STANDINGS
  1. Orem (9-3)
  2. Odgen (7-5)
  3. Casper (5-7)
  4. Idaho Falls (3-9)
We are the best team in the league right now. In the North Division, the Billings Mustangs lead the division at 7-5.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:30 AM   #22
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

July 1, 2007

Orem Owlz (9-3) at Casper Rockies (5-7)

Before we headed out to Wyoming, I get an email from Bill Stoneman, as expected. Man, the guy is very cruel, because he just gutted my team. Look at the players we lost:

Promoted to Single A Cedar Rapids:
  • CF Rey Maldonado
Promoted to AZL Angels (R):*
  • SP Bryan Richardson
  • SP Trevor Bell
  • SP Bill Pitts
  • SP Dylan Peacock
  • MR Edgardo Duran
  • MR Jesus Carrasco
  • MR Robert Romero
  • MR Robert Cassevah
  • MR Danny Wise
  • CL Javier Garcia
  • C Ramon Pineiro
  • C Anel De Los Santos
  • 3B Ryan Mount
  • SS Ryan Leahy
  • LF Anderson Rosario
  • CF Mike Fraser
  • RF Eloy Gutierrez
* - Stoneman must consider the Arizona League Angels as a step above us, since all of our best players are going there. Doesn’t bode well for my confidence.

Come on, man! Spare a brother some slack! If you’re taking notes at home, I just had every healthy member of my pitching staff taken away. I had both of my catchers and five other starters taken away. I had my top two hitters (Fraser and Gutierrez), my top home run guys (ditto), and two of my top three RBI guys (again, ditto) taken away. If you can think of an offensive statistical category, one or more of the guys on the above list is on top (mainly Fraser).

Now, what do I get in return on this episode of Team Swap?

Received from AZL Angels:
  • SP Nate Boman
  • SP Chris Armstrong
  • SP Leonardo Calderon (Puerto Rico)
  • SP Greg Munroe (Canada) – 2007 2nd round pick
  • MR Juan Tavarez (Mexico) - 2007 5th round pick
  • MR William Covington – 2007 9th round pick
  • MR Andrew Collingridge (Australia) – 2007 11th round pick
  • MR Eduardo Chile
  • MR Cliff Frost – 2007 13th round pick
  • MR Jesus Martinez (Dominican Republic) – 2007 21st round pick
  • MR Kuan Wang (Canada) - 2007 23th round pick
  • MR Felix Ortiz (Dominican Republic) – 2007 24th round pick
  • MR Juan Cuevas – 2007 29th round pick
  • MR Alvin Rosado - 2007 30th round pick
  • CL Michael Nicholson - 2007 17th round pick
  • C Oscar Coad (Aruba) - 2007 26th round pick
  • C Scott Knazek
  • 1B Juan Garza (Cuba) - 2007 28th round pick
  • 2B Jacob Brown - 2007 14th round pick
  • 3B P.J. Phillips
  • SS Phil Carrier (Puerto Rico) - 2007 15th round pick
  • LF Jorge De La Cruz (South Africa)
  • CF Ralph Reece - welcome back!
  • RF Jeremy Moore - welcome back!
  • RF Tyler Johnnson (Nicaragua)
That’s 25 players, and 15 of them are 2007 draft picks. Man, there goes our season. That good start to the season might have been more important than I thought. The only good news is that we now have some left-handed pitchers in our arsenal.

Anyway, on the bus to Casper the coaches and I whip up this primary lineup:

2B Larry Infante - .256
C Oscar Coad
DH Jacob Brown
1B Gordi Gronkowski - .326
CF Clayton Fuller - .300
LF Jorge De La Cruz
SS Alex Fonseca - .212
3B P.J. Phillips
RF Ralph Reece - .143

If you are wondering, this is a terrible lineup. The rotation will go like this:

Leonardo Calderon (lefty)
Greg Munroe
Nate Boman (lefty)
Chris Armstrong (lefty)
William Covington (converted to a starter)

And the closer is Andrew Collingridge.

Enough of this misery. Let’s get to the game.

Final: Orem 3, Casper 0
W: William Covington (1-0)
SV: Andrew Collingridge (1)

Whenever you have your team yanked from underneath you, it’s always good to end the day with a win. Although our offense is certainly missing some pop now, our pitchers really took care of business today, holding Casper to three total hits. (We had 13.) I think we were a bit lucky; Casper started the game pitching as well as we did, but their starter was injured in the 4th, and things changed.

Covington was named the Player of the Game. The other big Owl for us today was Alex Fonseca, who had four hits and a run. Honorable mention goes to Gronkowski, who had two big hits: a double and a triple.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:31 AM   #23
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

July 2, 2007

Orem Owlz (10-3) at Casper Rockies (5-8)

This morning I woke up and quickly checked my e-mail to see if Bill Stoneman may have had a change of heart and sent some of my former guys back to Orem. But my inbox was empty. Sigh. I guess I’m stuck with this group of guys for the foreseeable future.

On to the game. We take a 7-3 lead into the bottom of the 8th. The Rockies strike with a two-run homer. Later, our starter, Greg Munroe (the Angels’ 2nd round pick), injured himself pitching, and we had to take him out. Everything changed after that. On the very next at bat, the Rockies’ batter drives home a run. Just like that, it’s 7-6 Owlz.

We get two more runs in the top of the 9th to make it 9-6 Owlz. Things are looking good.

Then the bottom falls out in the bottom of the inning. After we give up a double, I bring on our closer Collingridge. He gets two outs, but then he allows a run-scoring hit and allows two more guys to get on base. I change pitchers again. The immediate result: a single that brings home two runs. Game tied at 9.

With two Rockies in scoring position and with two outs, I’m a mess. I’m just hoping our pitcher can get the hitter to ground out or something. But no, the hitter slaps one into the gap. Game over.

Final: Casper 10, Orem 9
H: Juan Tavarez (1)
L: Andrew Collingridge (0-1)
BS: Jesus Martinez (1)
HR: Clayton Fuller (1)

We gave up seven friggin’ runs in the last two innings. What a way to lose. One day after our pitchers saved our butts, they lost the game for us.

Despite the loss, Fuller unbelievably won Player of the Game honors. His line: 3 H, 2 R, 1 RBI, 1 HR, 1 BB. I say unbelievably not because Fuller didn’t deserve it, but because there were a couple of Rockies who had similar lines thanks to our sorry pitchers. That’s all I have to say about this game. Good night.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:32 AM   #24
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

July 3, 2007

Orem Owlz (10-4) at Casper Rockies (6-8)

We take a 3-1 lead going into the bottom of the 9th. Our starter, Nate Boman, promptly gives up a single, so I immediately put a reliever in, Michael Nicholson. With no outs, he gives up a single to put guys on first and second. Michael’s very next pitch gets by the catcher. Just like that, there are Rockies on second and third bases! I’m thinking, Oh, no, not again! Luckily, we get the next three batters out, the runners don’t move, and we seal the victory.

Final: Orem 3, Casper 1
W: Nate Boman (1-0)
SV: Michael Nicholson (1)

Boman was the Player of the Game. His line: 8.0 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 K. Alex Fonseca and Ryan Pressley both had two hits for us.

Next up, we take on the second-place Odgen Raptors in Orem.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #25
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Good luck with this. I like that you've switched to OOTP, too.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #26
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Good luck with this. I like that you've switched to OOTP, too.

Thanks for the comment, Dark Cloud. After abandoning OOTP for a while, I had the urge to get back into playing the game, and I've been enjoying it! The same can be said for baseball in general; I'm starting to get back into the sport and I'm looking forward to the upcoming season.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:51 PM   #27
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

I can't believe it. I closed OOTP, and while the game was saving, OOTP crashed. I opened the game back up, and the first thing I notice is that all the player names in my save game have been changed. Obviously this is a huge problem, as I will not be able to continue this dynasty with all the names changed. Does anyone know a way to repair the problem?

If the game can't be saved, don't worry. I'll come back with a new dynasty.