Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #1051
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
You have a right to be happy, I'm sticking with awesome. I didn't think there was much risk of you seeing this as a reason to slack off. I'll come up with a super badass adjective for when you reach the ultimate goal. Though we both know maintaining is the hardest part.

Hehe.

Yeah - maintaining is tough. I'm optimistic now though, as last time I was this light I had a lot of life-changes going on with college and all that weren't conducive to maintaining, and I'm in a much better place for maintaining now.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #1052
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I don't think you have to preface that with a "just curious" Blackadar - not like we're holding anything back here.

I'm 6ft even.

Take after my father's side of the family with a barrel-chested build rather than a skinnier build though.

Actually, I was going to say you must be pretty skinny to be 6ft and 192.

Then again, I'm built a bit like a tank - a 50" chest with a waist that's the same as yours and so I think most people are thin. I'm about 20lbs heavier and shorter than you are, but with the same waist size. As such, I hate BMI with a passion...I can have a body fat % under 15% (which is considered better than average) and sill be considered "obese" from a BMI standpoint.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:50 PM   #1053
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I wonder what my chest is...hmmm.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #1054
Blackadar
Retired

Since we haven't had a post in this thread for 4 days...

211 this morning. I'm quite good with that, considering I've been slowly edging down from 212.5 (scale goes down to a half pound) since a week and a half ago. That means my weight loss journey started in March, 2010 has now reached no less than 54 pounds. I'm in my 40s and haven't been this light since I was in my 20s. Even my 10-15 year old "skinny" clothes are starting to get a little big, except in the chest/arms/back, where they're starting to fit a bit tighter.

Now that I'm on to the 3rd circuit of P90X and therefore strength training more than I did last week, I may stall out for a week or two. In fact, it wouldn't be a surprise to gain a pound or three over the next couple of weeks, though I hope not. Still, I knocked out 260 pushups this morning, so that has to count for something.

Last edited by Blackadar : 05-23-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #1055
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Lil bump up to 194 this morning, which I wasn't happy about - but I ate a ton of fruit yesterday, so I'm sure it will bounce back down -tues/weds seem to be my "loss days" anyways.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #1056
hoopsguy
General Manager

I've been staying +/- 1.5 pounds around 180 for the past 10 or so days, but I think the overall appearance is getting a little better. I'm fitting pretty comfortably into some 33" pants today and I think the videos + running + soccer are starting to have a little impact on muscle definition. Beyond the natural "I'm looking better because I'm working out" trick that your mind wants to play on you by the middle of the first week of exercise
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #1057
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Nice. I want to get into a pair of 34" pants. I'm in 36ers right now, and they're not exactly loose yet though. Might have to think that 34 will be realistic when I reach my end goal.

In fact, maybe I should buy a pair of 34" pants and declare fitting into them to be my end goal??
Old 05-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #1058
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Nice. I want to get into a pair of 34" pants. I'm in 36ers right now, and they're not exactly loose yet though. Might have to think that 34 will be realistic when I reach my end goal.

In fact, maybe I should buy a pair of 34" pants and declare fitting into them to be my end goal??

When it comes to weight loss, there is no end goal...just a continuation of the journey.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #1059
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
When it comes to weight loss, there is no end goal...just a continuation of the journey.

Fair enough. Poor choice of words on my point. "Declare that a milestone whereupon I can transition from weight loss to weight maintenance" would have been a better phrase.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #1060
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Fair enough. Poor choice of words on my point. "Declare that a milestone whereupon I can transition from weight loss to weight maintenance" would have been a better phrase.

Excellent description. "Fighting weight" would also work.

I'm focused more on fitness and less on diet, though both are important considerations. You're focused more on diet and less on fitness, though both are important considerations. I think diet makes up 75% of any weight loss so you're probably doing it more of the "right" way, but it shows that there's more than one way to skin that cat.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #1061
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Excellent description. "Fighting weight" would also work.

I'm focused more on fitness and less on diet, though both are important considerations. You're focused more on diet and less on fitness, though both are important considerations. I think diet makes up 75% of any weight loss so you're probably doing it more of the "right" way, but it shows that there's more than one way to skin that cat.

No worries. So much of it is psychological - as long as it's working for both of us it's all good!
Old 05-24-2011, 07:57 AM   #1062
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

As predicted...back down to 193.0. Looking forward to presumably being back in the 192's tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #1063
Blackadar
Retired

Sweet DT!

Milestone weight for me today. 210 after doing Plyo this morning. Bill Clinton was in office the last time I weighed 210 pounds.

Of course, I have two birthdays to attend (one of them my own) with the commensurate cake, steaks, etc. coming up this long weekend. Chances of me staying at 210 through the weekend are slim and none.

Last edited by Blackadar : 05-24-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #1064
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Sweet DT!

Milestone weight for me today. 210 after doing Plyo this morning. Bill Clinton was in office the last time I weighed 210 pounds.

Of course, I have two birthdays to attend (one of them my own) with the commensurate cake, steaks, etc. coming up this long weekend. Chances of me staying at 210 through the weekend are slim and none.

My daughters birthday party led to me eating about 5 pieces of cake over two days and drinking at least one bottle of wine (adults partied hard that night after kids were in bed). It took about two days to normalize again after that weekend binge.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #1065
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Woot!

Old 05-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #1066
Blackadar
Retired

Half pound up at 210.5. Oh well, no biggie.

Not surprising, given the pushups/pullups/weights on Monday and the weights today.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #1067
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Half pound up at 210.5. Oh well, no biggie.

Not surprising, given the pushups/pullups/weights on Monday and the weights today.

half pound is no biggie. muscle is good anyways!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #1068
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
half pound is no biggie. muscle is good anyways!

It's fine. Plus, I feel good...I just turned down an offer to go out for Chinese one someone elses dime to stay in the office and eat my steak salad, pear and banana.

Actually, to be truthful...I think I'd prefer the steak salad over the Chinese food at that place anyway...
Old 05-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #1069
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Upped my resistance on the elliptical from 12 to 13 two days ago and kept my pace the same. Two days ago when I did it it was fine. Yesterday (maybe because I was like 1.5 hours later than usual working out?) it absolutely kicked my ass. I couldn't even finish...came up like 4 minutes short of my 45 minutes, and that was after taking a couple extra short breaks in the middle.

Looking forward to seeing how today goes.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-26-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #1070
cschex
High School Varsity

I'm a newcomer to this thread, and to weight loss in general, but it's past time. I'm not sure what has finally gotten me to this point, but I just turned 30 last month and I weigh ~250 lbs. I don't like the way I look or feel.

The two main issues are (unsurprisingly) diet and exercise. My diet isn't necessarily bad, but my portions are much too large. Also, I do virtually no exercise, due to a combination of laziness and very bad knees. I want to look good and not be embarrassed to be out with my wife in public (she is on the low side of her ideal weight) and also change my habits enough so I am healthy to enjoy my life with her and my daughter (who is 4). I'm posting this because I've been reading a lot of this thread the last few days and feel that there are a lot of good suggestions and reinforcement here. Also, I will probably have a ton of questions, especially regarding exercise.

Due to financial/other situations, a home workout DVD would probably be the best way for me to get in regular exercise. What might be a good suggestion for someone who is pretty out of shape and has not regularly exercised in a long time to start with?
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #1071
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
I'm a newcomer to this thread, and to weight loss in general, but it's past time. I'm not sure what has finally gotten me to this point, but I just turned 30 last month and I weigh ~250 lbs. I don't like the way I look or feel.

The two main issues are (unsurprisingly) diet and exercise. My diet isn't necessarily bad, but my portions are much too large. Also, I do virtually no exercise, due to a combination of laziness and very bad knees. I want to look good and not be embarrassed to be out with my wife in public (she is on the low side of her ideal weight) and also change my habits enough so I am healthy to enjoy my life with her and my daughter (who is 4). I'm posting this because I've been reading a lot of this thread the last few days and feel that there are a lot of good suggestions and reinforcement here. Also, I will probably have a ton of questions, especially regarding exercise.

Due to financial/other situations, a home workout DVD would probably be the best way for me to get in regular exercise. What might be a good suggestion for someone who is pretty out of shape and has not regularly exercised in a long time to start with?

Welcome to the journey!!

I was the same as you like 9 months or so ago...just over 30 and just over 260. So it can be done! Looking forward to whatever help and support we can give you. We have some good home-workout-warriors here I know, so I'll leave that to them.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #1072
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

Welcome to the club!

I hope you really, really take this to heart - you can be the source of your own inspiration story. I know it sounds corny as hell, but it's the truth. I was right there with you a bit over a year ago (though I'm in my 40s). In excess of 265 pounds and sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Fast forward a bit over a year (1yr, 2mo) and I'm down 55 pounds. I might have 20 or so pounds to go, but I'm in pretty good shape now. All my 10+ year old clothes fit. My fat clothes have been long packed up. I look better, feel better, act better and frankly I'm finding that many people respond to me better. My main thing has been exercise first and diet second, but I've been slowly morphing into making my diet just as important and that's why I'm still losing pounds.

So believe in yourself, alright? It ain't easy, but it's entirely doable if you really want to do it.

Now, on to the workouts.

I spent my first two months huffing and puffing on an elliptical.

As for home fitness DVDs, there's a bunch out there and it all depends on what you like. I'd suggest starting out making sure you're getting plenty of cardio in whatever you do.

The first fitness DVDs I used after doing the elliptical were the very old P90s - the originals. The production values are lower and they get boring since you're doing the same two videos each month. But you alternate between cardio and weights each day, they do provide results and they're doable by anyone.

If you want something a little more cardio-based, the old Turbo Jams are still pretty good and you can get the basic TJ set on Amazon for around $30. If you really like to dance, Zumba Exhilarate is out there for around $90, though I wouldn't do that one - it's most definitely not my style. The Tae Bo series is pretty damn good for virtually all fitness levels and to this day I like Billy Blanks' style. Plus, I feel less conspicuous kickboxing rather than dancing and it's even better with a pair of one-pound weighted gloves.

If you're really geared up to try something more "manly", you could always try something with kettlebells (www.skoggsystem.com). You'll work both cardio and strength at the same time, but you better make sure your form is good or you could easily hurt yourself. The cost of equipment is a bit higher, but kettlebells are one helluva workout.

Any insight into what you might want to do may jog my memory to suggest other programs. Also, I have a bunch more intermediate and advanced programs in mind when you want to give one a shot. But do yourself a favor and don't go all-in on one of the more "extreme" or "advanced" workout systems. You won't do yourself any good trying to do P90X or Insanity or Rushfit at this stage. You're far more likely to get discouraged and quit (or worse, injured).

Good luck and keep us posted.

P.S. - One last recommendation. I don't know if you have kids or not. I do. So the only time that's truly "mine" is my workout time at 5:00 AM. It sucks getting up that early, but that's the only time I know for a virtual certainty (unless I'm traveling on business) that I won't get interrupted or distracted. Find your workout time, make it yours and only your time. For me, there's no way to workout at night because of the kids/distractions/tv/computer games/wife/etc. But at 5:00AM, it's just me. It took 3 months for me to get used to waking up that early, but now it's just my routine. Get up...workout...shave...shower...get dressed...eat breakfast...go to work.

Last edited by Blackadar : 05-26-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #1073
cschex
High School Varsity

Thank you both very much for the responses. This morning I weighed myself at 251.4 and did 15 minutes of alternating lunges, jogging in place, and sit-ups. It's not much, but my goal for starting is to get myself used to waking up and being active. Blackadar, I have a 4 yrd old daughter so the morning really is the best time for me. I go into work at 7AM so I would have to be up and working out by 5 at the latest. Thankfully, my job is 10 minutes away.

I am really refocusing on the diet/portion control, counting calories and making sure I am getting a lot of water/tea. For exercise, I'd like to get an elliptical machine or stationary bike. Does anyone have any brands they would recommend or sites to look at for solid reviews? Also, what type of scales do you use to weigh yourselves? I want to have something that will accurately measure how I'm doing.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #1074
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I'm no expert on brands of ellipticals, since I just use the gym here by our office unfortunately. You're definitely right in starting the exercise off slow -that's what I did in the beginning too...started with like 14mins on the elliptical, then moved it up to 28...then 45...then started upping the resistance. It's all about not making yourself hate the exercise (as most overweight people do I think we can all agree) initially.

As far as scales...I went and got a scale that measures all sorts of things beyond just weight. Damnit...what's the brand of it again. It's awesome. Oh yeah, its' an Omron HBF-514c. Will run you $65 or so, but will measure weight, body fat %, skeletal muscle %, BMI, visceral fat, body age, resting metabolism. It's one of my best friends now.

Focusing on diet & portion control will yield you good early results - particularly once you get through the rough part where you shrink your stomach so you need less food to feel full. Don't starve yourself though - as I'm sure it sounds like you know (seems like you're going about it sensibly). The key, as with all things, is to make it through the first 4 weeks in order to make the new things you're doing part of your routine so that you can maintain them long term.

We're a very supportive thread I think you'll find!

Looking forward to following your journey!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #1075
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

190.0 this morning! Weekends are usually my eat-less-healthy days, so I don't anticipate being < 190.0 until say Tuesday/Wednesday of next week, but damn it feels good.

8lbs till 80
Old 05-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #1076
Blackadar
Retired

So you're also going to be a 5AMer. It gets easier after a while. Gratz on starting! Just remember that it took a long time to get to where you are now and it will take a long time to fix. It's the journey, not the destination. As such, make your dietary choices with that in mind. Not many people can do what DT does diet-wise and stick with it. I know I couldn't.

As for elliptical machines, I just went to Dicks Sporting Goods and found one where the stride felt "right". I really don't have many recommendations on equipment. I like my Selectec 552 dumbbells for what that's worth.

I use my normal home scale purchased from Walmart or Target. I don't care much if it's off by a pound or two so long as it's consistent.

PS - Gratz DT!
Old 05-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #1077
cschex
High School Varsity

249.4 this morning, after a good day yesterday. Did about 20 minutes of alternating jogging/running with lunges this morning. Went to the local store to try out a few machines, found a recumbent bike that I think we will get but they didn't have it in stock so we will go to another location tomorrow that has it and get that. Helped some friends move for 4.5 hours so go a lot more activity than I normally do.

Most importantly, the last two days I have avoided "grazing" during the day on high-calorie snacks, instead staying out of the kitchen, grabbing fruit instead, and keeping full on water and tea. I really feel that if I can cut those things out, it will make a big difference in being successful.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #1078
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

*cough*

189.2 yesterday morning.

lil blip up to like 190.something this morning, but that's alright.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #1079
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
249.4 this morning, after a good day yesterday. Did about 20 minutes of alternating jogging/running with lunges this morning. Went to the local store to try out a few machines, found a recumbent bike that I think we will get but they didn't have it in stock so we will go to another location tomorrow that has it and get that. Helped some friends move for 4.5 hours so go a lot more activity than I normally do.

Most importantly, the last two days I have avoided "grazing" during the day on high-calorie snacks, instead staying out of the kitchen, grabbing fruit instead, and keeping full on water and tea. I really feel that if I can cut those things out, it will make a big difference in being successful.

Those things you mentioned in the last paragraph will absolutely make a significant difference alone. Already starting to lose a little hmm? Excellent!!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:25 AM   #1080
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Grrrr!!! Strange bump up over the weekend to 192. Kinda pissed off to be honest. Didn't change anything diet/exercise wise. Maybe drinking a lil less tea than usual?

Seriously - the hydration has to be it. If anything I ate really well this weekend - certainly nothing more than normal (well except for one beer on Friday night).

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-31-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:41 AM   #1081
hoopsguy
General Manager

End of month update - 179.3 represents a loss of 1.2 pounds on the month.

I was having a pretty good month until the last week. Weight had gotten as low as 177.1, but Memorial Day plans and hectic work hours kept me from getting workouts in for a couple days. That, plus a couple too many beers pushed my weight back up a little bit.

I'll be working on the 5AM thing this month so I can be more regular about the "30 Day Shred" video. I want to do level 2 at least 12 times this month after doing Level 1 maybe 7-8 times in May. I'm also going to adopt the journal approach for my exercise and eating, something I've only done for running up to this point.

All in all, not happy with the number today but feeling OK about the progress over three months. I'm down 9 pounds out of the 23 that I want to lose (25% of time elapsed) so I'm tracking OK towards the larger goal. I'm down about 1 1/2 sizes on my belt since the start (2 when I squeeze it a bit, but I've only done this once or twice) and I'm starting to see something resembling muscle definition when I look in the mirror.

That said, I'll be mad at myself if the 7/1 post doesn't have me under 175.

Last edited by hoopsguy : 06-01-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #1082
Blackadar
Retired

Back up to 212 this morning. Not surprising, since my weekend was filled with prime rib, pizza, birthday cake and far too much "grazing" even though I did work out. The trend back downward begins today...
Old 06-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #1083
cschex
High School Varsity

249 flat this morning, which I'm fine with since I forgot to weight myself until after I had worked out on the bike for 35 minutes and consumed 24 oz of water. Considering that's almost 2.5 lbs from where I was 5 days ago, I;m feeling positive so far. Most importantly, my diet hasn't changed very much. Had pizza last night (we make our own) but just two slices and avoid a "side" with it. I have a handy print out on portion size comparisons that puts the size in real world terms (a fist, a deck of cards ,etc) and it is eye level on my fridge so I can't miss it when going to get something to eat. I'm getting a set of resistance bands tomorrow to start adding some strength workouts to my cardio.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #1084
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
249 flat this morning, which I'm fine with since I forgot to weight myself until after I had worked out on the bike for 35 minutes and consumed 24 oz of water. Considering that's almost 2.5 lbs from where I was 5 days ago, I;m feeling positive so far. Most importantly, my diet hasn't changed very much. Had pizza last night (we make our own) but just two slices and avoid a "side" with it. I have a handy print out on portion size comparisons that puts the size in real world terms (a fist, a deck of cards ,etc) and it is eye level on my fridge so I can't miss it when going to get something to eat. I'm getting a set of resistance bands tomorrow to start adding some strength workouts to my cardio.

Awesome cschex!

Where's thye print out on portion size from? Link?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #1085
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

191.4 today. So heading back down. Fucking jump up. Maybe I've got a lot of stuff backed up in my colon?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-01-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #1086
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Awesome cschex!

Where's thye print out on portion size from? Link?

http://hp2010.nhlbihin.net/portion/servingcard7.pdf

Obviously doesn't have calorie info, but a really good way for me to visualize and keep myself in check. My wife found it while looking on that main website.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #1087
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Cooool - thanks!!
Old 06-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #1088
The Jackal
Coordinator

DT there are often minor fluctuations in weight, its important not to read too much into day to day fluctuations especially if you are keeping your routine similar.

I broke my diet pretty hardcore on my trip to Montreal but walked so much around the city that I actually lost a little overall.

192.8 today

Most importantly though, don't think I posted after my physical results, but my cholesterol went down 15 points and the bad went down 7, so I'm pleased with the progress.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #1089
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah - I know Jackal...it's just...disappointing. I like seeing the numbers going steadily down.

Oops...had only a half sandwich for lunch and then a half sandwich for dinner. Of course I also had maybe 2/3 of an order of fries from 5 guys along with the half sandwich for dinner. Now I feel fat.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #1090
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post

I broke my diet pretty hardcore on my trip to Montreal but walked so much around the city that I actually lost a little overall.

192.8 today

Most importantly though, don't think I posted after my physical results, but my cholesterol went down 15 points and the bad went down 7, so I'm pleased with the progress.

All great news!!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #1091
Blackadar
Retired

After a day of eating sensibly -

Breakfast:
Bowl of bran cereal

Lunch:
Half of a roast beef wrap
Fresh veggies (carrots, celery, radishes)
Pear

Snack:
1 cracker, 2 slices of sharp cheddar cheese

Dinner:
Marinated grilled chicken breast
Corn on the cob
Steamed green beans
Orange

and a rather spirited workout this morning (over a mile of hill running follow by 30 minutes of a cardio DVD), I'm back down to 209.5. That's encouraging. Of course, the running and squat jacks will make it tougher on my legs and back workout tomorrow...
Old 06-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #1092
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Old 06-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #1093
Blackadar
Retired

Keep going DT! The weight you're at is what I'm establishing as my goal weight. I haven't been under 200 pounds since 1995, so that gives you an idea how difficult that goal is. I'm not sure how possible that number really is, but it's always good to have targets and it's only 20 more pounds away. Given that I've already lost almost 3x that amount, it doesn't seem like an insurmountable number.

I'm at 209 this morning, which means that it didn't take long for me to lose the weight I gained over the weekend. My legs (all the up to my butt) are extra-sore today after doing all that hill running yesterday combined with the one-legged squats, wall squats, lunges, calf raises and so forth today.

Two more weeks of P90X left...thank goodness, because the Legs and Back routine is starting to give me nightmares.

Last edited by Blackadar : 06-03-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #1094
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think I should look at the Dynasty forum more often. I had no idea this thread was here...

A lot of you guys have done an awesome job. Keep it up.

Let me tell you guys my story and maybe you have some advice that I haven't gotten before because I need some help.

In September 2009, my company started a Biggest Loser contest. At the start of the competition, I weighed 285. At 6'3, that's not huge, but is it still fat as hell, right?

I was hell bent on winning this contest. I knew that I needed to lose weight and I am competitive to a fault. I have to win at everything. Even the drive home is a contest for me every day. Yeah, it is that bad.

Anyway, I needed up losing 60 lbs in 3 months and won the contest with a finishing weight of 223.8 for the final weigh in that December.

Pretty much as soon as the contest was over, I quit working out 6 days a week, started eating crap again.

Today, my weight is staying in the 255-260 range. I go in waves where I'll eat well and exercise for 2 weeks then my knees will start to hurt and I'll quit.

I think about this crap every single day. I tell myself every day that today is the day that I turn it all back around and I never do.

Have any of you guys gone through anything similar?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #1095
hoopsguy
General Manager

Nothing as dramatic in terms of weight loss/gain, but I've seen my weight move from 170 up to almost 190 over a couple of years. Just a slow and steady gain when I wasn't putting any meaningful/sustained effort into diet or exercise. And I certainly told myself a number of times that I needed to get started with losing weight, but thinking and doing are two very different deals.

The good news is that once you do decide to start, and you put in some kind of self-tracking mechanism, that you know you'll be able to see the weight come off. You've done it before and you can certainly do it again. But this time you'll be doing it for yourself, rather than for a competition where others are charting your results.

The knees shouldn't have anything to do with "eating well" or portion control. And I'm guessing there are some folks here who might be able to provide some ideas on how to manage the injury/pain challenge.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #1096
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Keep going DT! The weight you're at is what I'm establishing as my goal weight. I haven't been under 200 pounds since 1995, so that gives you an idea how difficult that goal is. I'm not sure how possible that number really is, but it's always good to have targets and it's only 20 more pounds away. Given that I've already lost almost 3x that amount, it doesn't seem like an insurmountable number.

I'm at 209 this morning, which means that it didn't take long for me to lose the weight I gained over the weekend. My legs (all the up to my butt) are extra-sore today after doing all that hill running yesterday combined with the one-legged squats, wall squats, lunges, calf raises and so forth today.

Two more weeks of P90X left...thank goodness, because the Legs and Back routine is starting to give me nightmares.

You'll get there!!

I haven't been this weight since probably...college. So yeah...10 years ago at best.

Feels great though - feel so healthy and full of energy as compared to my old self. I'm confident you can do it - I think the last leg is extra tough though, particularly because you can see the finish line in sight, ya know?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-03-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #1097
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I think I should look at the Dynasty forum more often. I had no idea this thread was here...

Let me tell you guys my story and maybe you have some advice that I haven't gotten before because I need some help.

In September 2009, my company started a Biggest Loser contest. At the start of the competition, I weighed 285. At 6'3, that's not huge, but is it still fat as hell, right?

I was hell bent on winning this contest. I knew that I needed to lose weight and I am competitive to a fault. I have to win at everything. Even the drive home is a contest for me every day. Yeah, it is that bad.

Anyway, I needed up losing 60 lbs in 3 months and won the contest with a finishing weight of 223.8 for the final weigh in that December.

Pretty much as soon as the contest was over, I quit working out 6 days a week, started eating crap again.

Today, my weight is staying in the 255-260 range. I go in waves where I'll eat well and exercise for 2 weeks then my knees will start to hurt and I'll quit.

I think about this crap every single day. I tell myself every day that today is the day that I turn it all back around and I never do.

I was down at like ~210 a couple years back before things went sour with Ohio-girl, then ballooned back up.

The best part about being in that situation spleen is that you know that you have the willpower and you know that you know how to lose that much weight, so you can definitely do it again.

Sounds like you just need to have the willpower to make the dietary changes (you know what they are), and then find an exercise routine that won't murder your knees (were you running? could you bike or do elliptical?) so that you can keep at it longer term.

I honestly think it's easier once you've lost that much weight one time, because in a sense your body already knows what you're doing, so you're not like...confusing it or freaking it out. It knows how to react and it knows what you're trying to do. Or so I tell myself.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #1098
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

I don't know if I'm telling you anything that you haven't heard before.

1. 60 pounds in 3 months is too much, too fast. Congratulations on doing it, but that probably wasn't all that good for you. The only way to lose that much is to crash diet and you can't keep it off that way. Long-term weight loss is all about lifestyle changes that you can live with and/or grow into over time to develop habits.

For example, I'm not a big veggie eater, but when I started my weight loss over a year ago I started force-feeding myself fresh veggies for lunch. Now, if I go 2 or 3 days without them, I find myself craving a fresh carrot or stick of celery. It took many years to develop your current eating habits that contributed to your current weight. It's going to take a while to develop habits to help you lose that weight. So give yourself that time and don't focus on crash diets. What DT does is tremendous, but I don't know many people who can keep up what he's doing for very long. He's most definitely the exception.

2. If your knees are hurting from exercise, find a different exercise and/or just work through the pain. At 260 pounds, I couldn't do plyometrics. I did non-impact exercises like my elliptical and a lot of kickboxing. When I started to do a bit more higher-impact stuff, I was in agonizing pain because of my feet. I just had to work through it and the stronger my supporting muscles got and the less I weighed, the less the pain became. I still feel it occasionally, but not anything like what it used to be.

3. Make your exercise part of your routine. I preach this constantly because it's the only thing that's ever worked for me. Hence I'm up at 5:00 AM every weekday to workout before the wife/kids are up. You have to find a time that's yours and will always be yours. It takes 2-3 months to build a habit like that, so make sure you find a time that will always be available to you for that long of a time. When it becomes part of your routine, the excuses just go out the window.

4. As for excuses, make yourself very active on one or more fitness forums and DON'T LET YOURSELF OFF THE HOOK by not visiting them! Post your results on a daily basis. Sometimes just perceived peer pressure and/or encouragement can keep you motivated enough to break through that wall.

5. Find your inspiration where you can get it. For example, check out the video (lower right-hand corner) on this website. This one keeps me inspired! Ben Does Life.

Remember, the journey begins with a simple step. That simple step could end up making that journey your own source of inspiration. Just take that step and see where it might lead you...

Last edited by Blackadar : 06-03-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #1099
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Hey - I'm not crash dieting though Blackadar - I just made drastic dietary changes all at once (sensible ones) and really rationalized my portions and display an iron-will in sticking to it. And now it's become a part of my lifestyle. Similar to you - if I don't have at least two big servings of veggies a day, as well as 1-2 big servings of fruit (excluding my fruit shake in the morning), I don't feel right. I start craving carrots, or grapes, or bananas - rather than before when I'd crave chocolate or sugar or salty carbs. For a guy who's 190lbs I probably eat ridiculously small amounts. I'm having lunch right now for example (big container of raw carrots, 250 calorie or so sandwich, 120 calories or so of salty+sweet goodies) and that will fill me up basically until 8pm (realistically probably later, but I gotta eat dinner at a reasonable hour). You keep commenting on me like I'm extreme-dieting and I'm really not.

Exercise is absolutely key. As Blackadar said - find something you can do at your current weight that won't bring pain to your knees, and just stick with it. 6 days a week is probably good...figure if you can burn 500-600 calories doing that each day you're creating a 1lb/week calorie deficit right there, even without altering your eating habits (3500 calories burned = 1lb). Then you can adjust your diet to lose another 0.5-1lb/week.

When I did weight watchers way back when they always said that the maximum you could lose at a sustainable pace and keep off was like 2lbs/week. Initially you'll see more than that come off of course, but that would be a long-term average.

Now that might be a bit high, but I think you could certainly shoot for 1.5-1.8 lbs/week just based on getting that amount of exercise above plus dietary tweaks.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #1100
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Hey - I'm not crash dieting though Blackadar

I didn't mean to make it sound that way. Your diet is healthy and isn't a crash diet. It's just very strict and most people can't hold to that for very long, especially if they suddenly start dieting like that. I give you major props for having the willpower to stick with it.

You're right though - just a 1/2 pound a week with exercise (4 sessions, 500 calories burned per session which equates to around 1 hour per session of pretty solid exercise), 3/4ths of a pound a week with diet and you're talking real weight loss at about 6 pounds per month...

Last edited by Blackadar : 06-03-2011 at 01:55 PM.