GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #552
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
that was aweosme Alan Very impressive!

I'll have alot of comments regarding it once the game is over. Can't post them now as they would be spoilers and not really fair.. Trust me though, I've written Hoops a book

Even despite my horrible play this game, it was one of my most fun ones in a while at least.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #553
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Night 3 is early, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Does Day 4 count?

Post whores.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #554
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Dola - And to think they count now.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #555
Danny
Head Coach

Despite my previous comment, from an observer I thought you did great Alan. I just didn't understand all the doubt because it was confirmed that Racer scanned you as bad.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:03 PM   #556
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Despite my previous comment, from an observer I thought you did great Alan. I just didn't understand all the doubt because it was confirmed that Racer scanned you as bad.

Well the net result was three straight wolves dying, so it was all flash and no bang I guess. I've had some games that I felt I did great as a wolf, far more than this game. There are some things I think I did really well this game, but best to not talk about that until this game is over yet.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:04 PM   #557
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
Dola - And to think they count now.

My posting here is not for personal gain, but the overall objective of surpassing the Maximum Football thread!
Old 06-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #558
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
My posting here is not for personal gain, but the overall objective of surpassing the Maximum Football thread!

Team player.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #559
mccollins
College Prospect

Is it a trend that:
1) UTR wolves have done a bit better lately
2) More talkative players get lynched quicker
3) More active folks get nightkilled quicker

Or is it always that way somewhat?

I particularly noticed #3 in the past couple of long games, but I might be off base. Numerous people have noted #1 and #2.
mccollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #560
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccollins View Post
Is it a trend that:
1) UTR wolves have done a bit better lately
2) More talkative players get lynched quicker
3) More active folks get nightkilled quicker

Or is it always that way somewhat?

I particularly noticed #3 in the past couple of long games, but I might be off base. Numerous people have noted #1 and #2.

As the guy with the most posts who's still alive in the current game, I have a big problem with #2 right now.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #561
Passacaglia
Coordinator

But seriously, I don't think I've noticed #3. #1 is always a problem IMO, and as for #2, I think the talkative folks are fine with an increased probablity of getting lynched or night-killed, since we wouldn't want to stay alive simply by forcing ourselves to keep quiet. I think it's just different styles of play, really. I think I prefer playing when there are more people around anyway, so the ends of games get pretty boring in comparison. Plus, getting killed early helps me put off my WW addiction for a while, and get some actual work done.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:05 AM   #562
hoopsguy
General Manager

I think your observations are pretty accurate, mccollins.

- Talkative often means driving the action on lynches.
- Folks with night actions look up the people driving the lynches - want to see if they are on same side, especially if lynch went poorly.
- UTR get scanned later in the process as a result.
- If talkative players drive a successful lynch, they become trusted and a bigger target for night kills.

So at some point the question becomes "why do you play?" - is it to live to the end, to play a good game while you are alive, to participate in a social outlet? I personally think that I'm no longer playing a style that is most conducive to "winning", if that means being alive at the end of the game.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:09 AM   #563
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
But seriously, I don't think I've noticed #3. #1 is always a problem IMO, and as for #2, I think the talkative folks are fine with an increased probablity of getting lynched or night-killed, since we wouldn't want to stay alive simply by forcing ourselves to keep quiet. I think it's just different styles of play, really. I think I prefer playing when there are more people around anyway, so the ends of games get pretty boring in comparison. Plus, getting killed early helps me put off my WW addiction for a while, and get some actual work done.
]

I have failed in the not talking department! next game I SWEAR!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 09:13 AM   #564
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

For a long time, I used to push hard to prevent #1 by always going after people who didn't contribute much the first few days. I had the thought, if I wasn't sure on who or who isn't a wolf, might as remove someone who isn't helping us by providing posts for us to get a feel on if they are bad or not. I'm not really sure why I stopped doing that lately though.

For #2, I talk a ton (I don't think anyone would disagree with that), but I don't tend to get lynched early any more unless I really deserve it. Early on in my playing, I seemed to get lynched on day 3 every game to the point there was a joke about it.. and it probably had something to do with how verbose I was. Once I'd played enough games where people had a feel for my style though, that seemed to stop.

For #3 I think that probably is true, but only because the wolves often want to remove people who are going to drive conversations. If the decision making on where to go for lynches is then left to the wolves it is alot better for them. I can tell you many games that were won by the wolves only due to villager indifference at the end.

I personally enjoy players who have the same type of playing style as I do in WW games, which is why I go to no end to try to keep players like Hoopsguy, Barkeep, Chief Rum, etc etc etc around at least until I know if they are a wolf or not. Regardless of which side I am on.. it just is more fun to me personally.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #565
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
]

I have failed in the not talking department! next game I SWEAR!

I can't tell you how many games I swore to myself that I was going to try to play UtR the next game.. it just never works for me. It just is boring to me if a WW game goes multiple hours without any posts.. I hate that! All I can say is just stick to playing the game the way you enjoy it.. If you are going through a phase where you are being lynched alot early or night killed alot early, just bear through it.. we've all been there before. Trust me, I can tell you I know exactly how you feel
Old 06-18-2008, 10:17 AM   #566
KWhit
Coordinator

The most successful game I've had since I started playing again was the game where I was a wolf and stayed pretty quiet and UTR until the end.

When I open my mouth, I always get killed by one faction or the other.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:21 AM   #567
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Yeah that Cruise game was a pisser.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #568
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeheinz72 View Post
Yeah that Cruise game was a pisser.

Not from where I stood.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:27 AM   #569
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

I think in some cases you're pretty on mccollins

On #1, I hate hate hate the inactive wolves at the end. I've only been a Seer once and it didn't apply, but if I ever am, I'm scanning randoms first.

On #2, I think it depends. I talk a pretty good amount in games I'm in, and I don't think I've gotten myself lynched, as a villager, too often. But yeah, sometimes just being an active helpful villager all it takes is one misstep and you can get glommed onto and lynched quicker than if you'd just zipped your trap (I WILL NOT ALLOW A TIE!!!!1111!!!!|||)

On #3 in fact frankly I've a number of times watched myself drive conversation and the longer I live sometimes the more I move off my current position, figuring that if I'm talkin' and the wolves are keeping me alive they must just know I'm way off base. Of course I've been basically too chicken-shit to act on completely flipping my line of thinking.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #570
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Heinz, I was actually on you more because I felt you started a run on cronin to save PB, more than the tie thing. I only mentioned the tie to give you crap!
Old 06-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #571
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

I know, but I had to spend so much time talking about that, that I couldn't even address why I started on Cronin, which was legit reasoning.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #572
path12
Coordinator

I think #2 also has to do with who is doing the talking. Fact is, if Alan or hoops are wolves it's likely to be found out pretty early because they are looked at as excellent players more than how much they're talking in thread. I do think the more vocal folks in thread tend to get scanned more, and that may have as much to do with it as anything.

Personally, I'm usually just above average in posts but get neither night killed or lynched all that often. I guess that means that I'm really not all that much a threat for anyone.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #573
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I haven't figured any pattern out yet except that the current trend always seems to be opposite of what I try.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #574
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Oh, but thanks again as I'm halfway through my first AA season... I'll say it again, that game kicks ass.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #575
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Question: Have there been games where roles are not revealed upon death?

Still trying to come up with a good idea for when my turn comes around to hos (2010 I believe ).
Old 06-18-2008, 11:57 AM   #576
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

even if there hasnt you can be the first as long as it balances out....

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #577
hoopsguy
General Manager

Eagle, yes there have and it is challenging to run/play a game with that mechanic. It really puts a burden on the moderator to find ways to share some kind of information so the players can piece stuff together.

Example - you have a role that can scan the dead. What happens if that role is lynched D1? No info the whole game? Not much fun ...

Peregrine did a really nice job with this in an early game (something about a river?), other attempts haven't worked as well in my opinion.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #578
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
even if there hasnt you can be the first as long as it balances out....

Just spit balling sme idas. Not sure which way I'll go yet.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #579
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Question: Have there been games where roles are not revealed upon death?

Still trying to come up with a good idea for when my turn comes around to hos (2010 I believe ).

I know alot of people have said that they would never play in another WW game that doesn't reveal roles on death...

I think somewhere it is all Path's fault for the animal farm game
Old 06-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #580
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I was thinking about revealing hints upon death but not the actual role. The reason is I was wondering if there was a way to do a resurrection type of power but if the seer was revealed upon death it would pretty much take the guess work out of who to resurrect. Still a lot to work out as I have about 5 different ideas at the moment.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #581
hoopsguy
General Manager

Alan, I didn't want to name names, but god that game was frustrating.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:11 PM   #582
mccollins
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I was thinking about revealing hints upon death but not the actual role. The reason is I was wondering if there was a way to do a resurrection type of power but if the seer was revealed upon death it would pretty much take the guess work out of who to resurrect. Still a lot to work out as I have about 5 different ideas at the moment.

I wish I could get resurrected back into the Lovecraft game! Boo to early death!!
mccollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #583
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Alan, I didn't want to name names, but god that game was frustrating.

I didn't find it as frustrating! (even though I did accidentally kill off someone on my side at night.. woops)
Old 06-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #584
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

A few of my ideas:

1) 3 teams with sort of a rock/paper/scissors rule here each can perform night kills but but A can kill B, B can kill C and C can kill A. Chose someone from the other team and risk being discovered.

2) Normal wolves/villager type of these but only clues given at time of death at to their role (may reveal wolf/villager but not things like seer or bodyguard).

3) Three team (villager/wolf/vampire type) where there is a covert but that convert can be converted to either team and then becomes the brutal for that side. I envision this using night objects as well, such as a disguise, bat, rope, things that have specific uses as well as hidden uses if the person holding the object is creative enough to try something out of the box.

4) Multiple 2 or 3 person teams that become a free for all to see who is left alive, possibly no night kills per se but night moves.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #585
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Opinions welcome and encouraged as I don't want to entirely strike out on my first attempt.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #586
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I don't remember no reveals in Animal Farm -- I just remember that sometimes a new rule was painted, and sometimes not, and we spent a lot of time trying to figure out what that meant, then when path got back from out of town, he said it didn't mean anything, and people got pissed.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #587
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't remember no reveals in Animal Farm -- I just remember that sometimes a new rule was painted, and sometimes not, and we spent a lot of time trying to figure out what that meant, then when path got back from out of town, he said it didn't mean anything, and people got pissed.

Yeah, but there was no role reveals either though. Blade nearly had a meltdown when no one would believe him that his good friend Bek had tipped off his hat enough that he was Clover the Horse and that everyone should follow his lead post-mortem even though no role was revealed upon his death and no one else could find the tip-off that Blade referred to.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #588
hoopsguy
General Manager

Damn it, Alan. First you bring up that game and then Blade/Bek dynamics?

Suffice it to say that it would have been easier to play that game if I incorporated stuff way outside of the game - basically, it would have been like insider trading in WW.

I'm very happy there is no reason to suspect this kind of stuff anymore.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:45 PM   #589
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

what happened?

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #590
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

My next game people are just going to post and lynch and die and resurrect until someone says the magic word and then that player wins the game (and a WaveRunner).
Old 06-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #591
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My next game people are just going to post and lynch and die and resurrect until someone says the magic word and then that player wins the game (and a WaveRunner).

Old 06-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #592
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
I know alot of people have said that they would never play in another WW game that doesn't reveal roles on death...

I think somewhere it is all Path's fault for the animal farm game

As much fun as that was to watch, I wouldn't have non-reveals on death in future games. If your seer roles get rung up early or don't share what they get it's just way too hard for the village.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #593
path12
Coordinator

Quote:

Yeah, but there was no role reveals either though. Blade nearly had a meltdown when no one would believe him that his good friend Bek had tipped off his hat enough that he was Clover the Horse and that everyone should follow his lead post-mortem even though no role was revealed upon his death and no one else could find the tip-off that Blade referred to.

I forgot about that!
Old 06-18-2008, 02:25 PM   #594
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I forgot about that, too. It was one of my first games, so I don't think I even knew they were friends until then.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #595
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
I forgot about that, too. It was one of my first games, so I don't think I even knew they were friends until then.

Yep.

Last edited by path12 : 06-18-2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Changed my mind.
path12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:58 PM   #596
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Wow, someone actually bothered to do that?

That's like the internet gaming equivalent of molesting 8-year-old boys. It's so pathetic their dick should just be cut off.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:56 PM   #597
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Wow, someone actually bothered to do that?

That's like the internet gaming equivalent of molesting 8-year-old boys. It's so pathetic their dick should just be cut off.
The Blade/Bek thing was a major blow to the integrity of our game. That said, I don't see any reason to make that sort of comparison.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:27 PM   #598
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I agree with BK, that is taking the comparison quitge a ways over the edge.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #599
hoopsguy
General Manager

Technically not killed early, but not allowed to post in the thread where I picked the wolf team. It feels like I got killed in pre-game!
Old 06-23-2008, 11:32 AM   #600
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Technically not killed early, but not allowed to post in the thread where I picked the wolf team. It feels like I got killed in pre-game!

More games should implement that to stop you.