Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-18-2021, 09:35 AM   #1101
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Why is this thread already obsessed with immigration? It's maybe 138th of the problems facing this country. Scapegoating immigrants probably lands at a solid 20th.

Because that’s what Fox News has been touting the past few days and as such it appears online and on social media. It’s also an attempt to change the narrative from “Trump did bad thing” to “look the Brown people are coming”. Just red meat to a large swath of folks.
Old 01-18-2021, 09:53 AM   #1102
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why is this thread already obsessed with immigration? It's maybe 138th of the problems facing this country. Scapegoating immigrants probably lands at a solid 20th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Because that’s what Fox News has been touting the past few days and as such it appears online and on social media. It’s also an attempt to change the narrative from “Trump did bad thing” to “look the Brown people are coming”. Just red meat to a large swath of folks.

It's eliciting a yawn from most posters

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:37 AM   #1103
tarcone
Coordinator

Immigration is one of the key narratives that got Trump elected.

Show the masses what they should be afraid of and then scare them as much as possible.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:39 AM   #1104
cuervo72
Head Coach

Because it's one of Edward's talking points.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:58 AM   #1105
Edward64
Head Coach

Glad to know the radical SJW for the brown illegals have moved on elsewhere.

Specifically to legal immigration, it has & will define us as a country (societal changes, global competitiveness etc.) and has been a policy hot spot for a while. So don't know why it wouldn't be in a Biden Presidency thread.

But I'll go with the crowd and stick it into the Coronavirus non-political thread.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:41 AM   #1106
cuervo72
Head Coach

Glad to know it's radical to see them as people.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:24 PM   #1107
Edward64
Head Coach

Everyone on this board sees them as people. There is no question. Radical applies to all the other stuff but keep on twisting words and intent.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-18-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:34 PM   #1108
SackAttack
Head Coach

Blowing the 'SJW' dogwhistle makes it absolutely clear what your intent was, Trollward.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:35 PM   #1109
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Blowing the 'SJW' dogwhistle makes it absolutely clear what your intent was, Trollward.

Zing! Arrgh, you got me.

That was pretty good. Oblivious hypocrisy.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-18-2021 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:01 PM   #1110
Edward64
Head Coach

Sounds as if Schumer & McConnell have found a way to work together. But I've read older articles that said they aren't exactly chummy though.

Dems get to set the agenda so that is good.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/18/polit...eal/index.html
Quote:
The top two Senate leaders are nearing a power-sharing agreement to hash out how the evenly divided chamber will operate, with Democrats in charge of setting the schedule but both parties likely to hold an equal number of seats on Senate committees, according to sources familiar with the talks.

The negotiations between Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer and Republican Leader Mitch McConnell have been built largely around how the Senate operated the last time the body was split 50-50: When George W. Bush initially became president in 2001. Final details are still being sorted out between the two leaders, sources said.

Similar to those rules, set in January 2001, Schumer and McConnell aides are discussing allowing bills and nominations to advance to the Senate floor even if they are tied during committee votes, something that could become common given that each party is expected to have the same number of seats on committees.

Democrats will hold the chairmanships of the committees, giving them power to set the agenda, and Schumer will be granted the title of majority leader since Vice President-elect Kamala Harris will cast tiebreaking votes on the floor.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-18-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:06 PM   #1111
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Actually, it sounds pretty boiler-plate. Schumer might have push back from some of his more moderate members if he got too greedy. In the end, the Dems still have the upper hand, though by a hair.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:26 PM   #1112
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The ability to get things to the floor is the real power (or, more like the ability to keep the GOP from keeping things from getting to the floor is the real power).

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 01-18-2021 at 04:27 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:33 PM   #1113
JPhillips
General Manager

Parler is back with all traffic routed through Russian servers.

On a related note, did you know the US government can surveil communications that originate in the US if they go through foreign servers?

Last edited by JPhillips : 01-18-2021 at 07:10 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:43 PM   #1114
Edward64
Head Coach

It's pretty much a no-brainer for Biden to not provide intel, security briefings to Trump after Jan 20.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:03 PM   #1115
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Maybe the President-Elect thinks immigration is a first-day issue...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...3e2_story.html

Quote:
[COLOR=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]President-elect Joe Biden will roll out a sweeping overhaul of nation’s immigration laws the day he is inaugurated, including an eight-year pathway to citizenship for immigrants without legal status and an expansion of refugee admissions, alongside an enforcement plan that deploys technology to patrol the border.

[COLOR=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]Biden’s legislative proposal, which will be sent to Congress on Wednesday, also includes a heavy focus on addressing the root causes of migration from Central America, a key part of Biden’s foreign policy portfolio when he served as vice president.[/color]

[/color]
[COLOR=var(--color-ui-gray-darkest)]The centerpiece of the plan from Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala D. Harris is the eight-year pathway, which would put millions of qualifying immigrants in a temporary status for five years, and then grant them a green card once they meet certain requirements such as a background check and payment of taxes. They would be able to apply for citizenship three years later.

[/color]
Old 01-18-2021, 06:11 PM   #1116
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Well I mean he CAN sign multiple things the first day Get that signin' hand ready and have a hand-massage therapist on hand to handle cramps!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:27 PM   #1117
bob
College Starter

Two questions I haven’t answered about this potential $600 -> $2000 stimulus.

1. How does the calculation work. Right now, for every $20 of income you make over the threshold, you lose $1 of stimulus. Will this new $1400 be processed as a new stimulus payment subject to that same calculation or as an modification to the original payment?

2. Which payments go up to $2000? Just the parents or some / all dependents too?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 06:31 PM   #1118
bob
College Starter

To clarify #1.

Single person, no dependents. Original $600 Stimulus starts to phase out at $75k, fully gone at $87k. $600 - ($87k-75k) / 20 = 0

Let’s say a person makes $87k. Is this a change to the original stimulus, so this person would get the $1400, or do we run this money through the calculation again, which means they get $800?

$2000 - ($87k-75k) / 20 = $1400

Or

$1400 - ($87k-75k) / 20 = $800

Last edited by bob : 01-18-2021 at 06:34 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:51 PM   #1119
GrantDawg

I don't know the answer for number one, but number two is everyone including kids and adult dependants.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2021, 07:49 AM   #1120
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Immigration doesn't seem to rank "138th" on Biden's list considering it's a day one issue.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden...6a62a8acd59730
Old 01-19-2021, 08:09 AM   #1121
Butter
Coordinator

I look forward to you continuing to vomit your very founded "concerns" about our immigration policy across this thread almost daily.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:25 AM   #1122
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Like predicted, Manchin's "opposition" to Biden's stimulus plan is/was a fluid issue. It's all part of the negotiations that are happening and will happen. Some in back rooms. Some in the media.

We are all going to be surprised to remember how things can work with people in the WH who work hard and who understand and respect Congress's role in the process.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 01-19-2021 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:28 AM   #1123
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Immigration doesn't seem to rank "138th" on Biden's list considering it's a day one issue.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden...6a62a8acd59730

Now you see what you got me accused of?
Old 01-19-2021, 08:40 AM   #1124
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I look forward to you continuing to vomit your very founded "concerns" about our immigration policy across this thread almost daily.

Butter,

I think you and me need to hug.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:41 AM   #1125
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Butter,

I think you and me need to hug.

now now boys, its fist pumps only in the time of COVID
Old 01-19-2021, 09:01 AM   #1126
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
now now boys, its fist pumps only in the time of COVID

Or those weird elbow tap things

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:33 AM   #1127
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Like predicted, Manchin's "opposition" to Biden's stimulus plan is/was a fluid issue.
"Contested legislation must go through ME now, and that is a fact that Imma make sure all y'all blue and red beeyatches RECOGNIZE!!!"

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 01-19-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:03 PM   #1128
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Glad to know the radical SJW for the brown illegals have moved on elsewhere.

Specifically to legal immigration, it has & will define us as a country (societal changes, global competitiveness etc.) and has been a policy hot spot for a while. So don't know why it wouldn't be in a Biden Presidency thread.

But I'll go with the crowd and stick it into the Coronavirus non-political thread.

Taking a racially based far right agenda that aligns you very closely with Trump and trying to normalize it by calling any disagreement "radical SJW" is a pretty solid line there. Well done.

I think most of us have been consistent on immigration since you started making it the #1 or #2 focus on the board at every opportunity years ago. It's a non issue. We have laws and we should enforce them. But we shouldn't really make this a focus at all. I don't think that's radical in the slightest. And you of all people don't get to define radical by yourself, fuck that.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:30 PM   #1129
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
We have laws and we should enforce them. But we shouldn't really make this a focus at all.

Glad to get into a productive discussion with you but suspect we (the royal we) don't want to go there.

We will agree to disagree on the quote above re: whether that laws are actually being enforced.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:57 PM   #1130
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

really tired of all the articles saying "what biden will do on his first day"

I mean how do these people know? JUst what the heck is going on
Old 01-19-2021, 02:58 PM   #1131
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Or those weird elbow tap things

SI

I'm glad that seems to have phased out.

I prefer awkward nods with both parties kind of half-waiting to see what the other will do.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:03 PM   #1132
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'm glad that seems to have phased out.

I prefer awkward nods with both parties kind of half-waiting to see what the other will do.

I've tried peace signs and awkward blown kisses and likewise felt weird. Maybe we should all just have surprised eye contact then jerk our heads down to the ground and walk quickly past. That could be our national handshake
Old 01-19-2021, 03:05 PM   #1133
bhlloy
Coordinator

I can assure you that has been the British national handshake for at least the last 40 years. Get your own thing.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:07 PM   #1134
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I can assure you that has been the British national handshake for at least the last 40 years. Get your own thing.

Old 01-19-2021, 03:11 PM   #1135
Edward64
Head Coach

I vote for this ... and then hand sanitizer right after.

Old 01-19-2021, 03:37 PM   #1136
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
I vote for this ... and then hand sanitizer right after.

I prefer the fists turning into a squid and floating away
Old 01-19-2021, 03:41 PM   #1137
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

and then there was THIS awkward moment

The drive by fistbump without making eyecontact then the creepy patronizing pat on the back seems like a winner for the US

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 01-19-2021 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:34 PM   #1138
GrantDawg

Josh Hawley blocking the speedy nomination of the DHS head just shows there is no end to his duchebaggery.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-19-2021 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:42 PM   #1139
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

McConnell must be loving that. Hawley gumming up the new admin and being willing to own it personally (instead of making it a GOP-wide issue).

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 01-19-2021 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:45 PM   #1140
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Memorial Service for the Covid 19 victims was lovely. It so surreal to think this is really the first time the President of the United States (granted Biden isn't President yet) has acknowledged the massive death toll of Covid.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2021, 08:14 PM   #1141
Edward64
Head Coach

I assume this is good for the Israelis and since it's already a reality, okay with the frenemies in the region. Probably the smart thing to do.

Bibi played his cards well with the Trump admin. It will be great if Biden can maintain the "normalization" momentum.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...c457c2340ef46f
Quote:
President-elect Joe Biden’s nominee to lead the State Department told senators at his confirmation hearing that the incoming administration recognizes Jerusalem as the Capitol of Israel and said it would leave the US embassy in the contested holy city.

Asked if he recognizes Jerusalem as Israel’s capitol, Antony Blinken said, “yes.” And asked if the US embassy would remain in Jerusalem, Blinken again said, “yes.”

Both moves by the Trump administration were deeply controversial, as both Israelis and Palestinians claim the holy city as their capitol. The status of Jerusalem is such a thorny issue that international consensus was to leave discussion about it to the end of Israeli-Palestinian peace negotiations. Previous peace negotiations had included the idea that each side would claim a different part of the city as its capitol.

The Trump administration abandoned those internationally accepted parameters, stopped engaging with Palestinians, unilaterally moved its embassy to Jerusalem and recognized the city as Israel’s capitol.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:23 PM   #1142
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Glad to get into a productive discussion with you but suspect we (the royal we) don't want to go there.

We will agree to disagree on the quote above re: whether that laws are actually being enforced.

I feel like we've been having the same immigration debate since 2015. I feel like we need to make an active push as a nation to remove racism from our discussions around immigration and after that the rest of you can have all the conversations you want, my focus is elsewhere. Primarily, racism at home.

I'm happy to move to conversations where you can call me a radical and have it possibly actually be true

Something like this:

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:34 PM   #1143
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Old 01-19-2021, 08:45 PM   #1144
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I feel like we've been having the same immigration debate since 2015. I feel like we need to make an active push as a nation to remove racism from our discussions around immigration and after that the rest of you can have all the conversations you want, my focus is elsewhere. Primarily, racism at home.

I'm happy to move to conversations where you can call me a radical and have it possibly actually be true

I think you are a reasonable person. It makes absolute sense to discuss illegal & legal immigration because it's now Biden's to own and he's doing something about it. Re: racism, true or partially true, it's part of the narrative now with immigration and they (inevitably) go hand in hand.

It's like weird we don't want to discuss it here but glad to create a separate thread so others won't have to deal with it. I can somewhat respect that as I didn't want to deal with the never ending Trump bashing on the Coronavirus "non-political" thread and said as much.

If you were offended by the "radical SJW" statement, I apologize. I was reacting to others (not you) in what I believe to be "in kind" sarcasm.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-19-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:45 PM   #1145
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
I prefer the fists turning into a squid and floating away

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:56 PM   #1146
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm beginning to like this Blinken fella.

Obviously, how Trump approached it did not produce great results but it is reassuring to know that Blinken agrees with high-level stance. Here's hoping he has a better approach.

Antony Blinken, Joe Biden's State Department Pick, Says Donald Trump 'Got It Right' on China
Quote:
President-elect Joe Biden's secretary of state nominee welcomed bipartisan foreign policy ideas and said President Donald Trump was largely right in taking a hard stance toward China during his tenure in the White House.

The incoming president's pick to lead the U.S. State Department, former Deputy Secretary of State Antony Blinken, told Senate confirmation hearing members that "no party has a monopoly on good ideas." Blinken reiterated his opposition to "the way Trump went about" implementing his foreign policy, but he supported the president's peace efforts in Israel and the Balkans. In regards to China, which current Secretary of State Mike Pompeo accused of committing "genocide" on Tuesday, Blinken said he supports Trump's approach of leveraging U.S. strength.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:19 PM   #1147
PilotMan
Head Coach

hard line and tariffs have always been more the feeling of the left than that right when it came to China. The right has only been interested in opening the markets, globalization and free market. Any tariffs would have been met with vitriol for the most part. There will be a few things that are held over for sure, but they will have been things that for the most part were never part of the historical R positions.

The whole genocide thing is just one of those things that they had no interest addressing until it didn't hurt them one way or the other.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:30 PM   #1148
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The whole genocide thing is just one of those things that they had no interest addressing until it didn't hurt them one way or the other.

The Uyghurs and Rohingyas situation is definitely messed up. Knowing Biden, he feels for them. But being realistic, I'm not sure any President can do much about the Uyghurs because, right or wrong, they belong to China.

However, Myanmar re: Rohingyas should be susceptible to the US carrot & big stick approach if Biden really, really wanted to make a difference.

There are some other messed up ethnic groups in Africa. But after the Somalia "Black Hawk Down" incident & pull-out, it's understandable that US doesn't want to get too involved.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:18 AM   #1149
GrantDawg

As we enter this new day and era, I expect we are going to get a flurry of actions and reactions. There is a laundry list of Presidential executive orders coming, most countering the former President along with others dealing with the virus. An impeachment trail is going to eat the news, but they are going to have to move on confirming appointments along with trying to get some major legislation through (covid bill, John Lewis voters right act, and immigration reforms seem to be the first three).
The fact that Trump is still going to take up so much oxygen because of the trial really pisses me off, but nothing can be done now. The question is how long will it go, and what will be the outcome? How badly is it going to interfere with good governance?

The other big question, what will be the thing that takes out the Biden honeymoon period? Something always does. I could believe that Biden might have had a longer honeymoon than normal just because of what we have been through the last 4 years. Will he?

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-20-2021 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-20-2021, 06:38 AM   #1150
GrantDawg

A few of the flurry of orders:

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-20-2021 at 06:40 AM.