Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-03-2019, 10:36 AM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Recycling

It turns out that we are recycling wrong.

The US Recycling System Is Garbage | Sierra Club

You're Recycling Wrong | Sierra Club

As a rule:

1. As far as plastic goes, for the most part, we only really recycle plastic #1 and #2 bottles. All other plastic should really go into the garbage. (I am definitely an offender here. I routinely toss anything plastic into the recycle bin.) Plastic forks, knives, and spoons don't get recycled and jam up the sorting machines.
2. Paper that gets contaminated from foods and other stuff in the bin can't be recycled.
3. Shredded paper doesn't get recycled.
4. Paper coffee cups usually can't be recycled because of a polyurethane coating.
5. Styrofoam cups can't be recycled.

We used to ship our recycling to China, who would sort out the good stuff and discard the useless stuff. Unfortunately, much of the discarded stuff ended up in the oceans due to a lack of environmental regulations in China.

As one of the linked articles says, reducing and reusing are the first lines of defense, and recycling is the last resort. We shouldn't really count on recycling taking care of all the plastic that we use in our daily lives.

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If it wasn’t for my children I would be ok with humanity being wiped off the planet. We don't deserve it.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
molson
General Manager

Landfills have been kind of a visible enemy for decades but it would have been far preferable to send plastics there than to China and the Ocean.

In my town, we're told to throw away #1 bottles (usually cheap water bottles). Certain plastics, like wrappers and plastics that held food have to go into a separate orange bag. Those plastics become diesel fuel - not sure if that's a net gain for the environment v. landfill or not.

And climate change was discussed for 15 minutes out 4 hours of Dem debates. There's no way any significant political capital is going to be expended on it at the expense of sexier issues. It's still not a priority for anybody but the fringes.

Last edited by molson : 07-03-2019 at 12:22 PM.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #4
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Recycling is not the panacea that many of us though/hoped it was. If we want to make a real dent in this issue, we have to change our habits and go back to using stuff that isn't single-use and continue to innovate with compostable packaging for situations where re-usable isn't practical.

NCAA2018 - an FBCB2 multi-player league
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote