Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #401
samifan24
Pro Starter

I bought the Spiderman game after playing the free version. It's a blast to play and a steal at only 99 cents. It's normally $7.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:00 PM   #402
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I bought the Spiderman game after playing the free version. It's a blast to play and a steal at only 99 cents. It's normally $7.

Even though I've yet to dive into the full version, I couldn't agree more from what I remember of the free version. The controls are just right and the auto focus it's got to hit the closest bad guy makes it frustration-free.

FM
Old 12-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #403
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
dola

I'll buy Carcassone when the price drops. $10 is just too rich for my blood for a game I've never played that doesn't even have a lite version you can try.

and I totally understand your reasoning, especially given how many hours of fun you can get with ten separate games at a buck each.

FM
Old 12-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #404
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I have Carcassone the board game and the Xbox 360 version. If the Iphone one drops again I'll snag it. I'd love to play some multiplayer with it, but like others - the $10 is steep for a mobile game given the competition.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #405
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
Cause of Death looks intriguing. New free episodes available on a weekly basis...

FM

I downloaded the FREE version of both Cause of Death and its predecessor in style by EA, Surviving High School and I must say, these are fun.

For Cause of Death, think about it as if you're watching an episode of a CSI type of show but are playing the role of one of the detectives. You simply touch the screen to keep the comic style dialogue bubbles going back and forth as you discuss with other detectives or suspects. Every once in a while you have to make a choice between two line of discussions and some of these choices have a timer so you have to stay alert. The game is in its first week but from what I understand, new episodes are released for free every Friday and each case are split into chapters (don't know how many per episode as I've not finished the first episode). You can pay to play past episodes you missed if you want, or pay to play next week's episode in advance if you really want. You earn detective points every time you gear the investigation toward something good. You can replay chapters, trying to earn 90 detective out of 100 for every chapter in order to unlock some special stuff.

It's got very much a "write your own adventure" kind of feeling.

Surviving High School is the same but, well, in High School. It's kinda fun to play as an adult but looks geared a bit more toward teens.

The neat thing with these FREE version is that it's the full version of the game but simply with ads. Sometimes it's a banner ad on top and sometimes it's an ad break at the end of the chapter that you can close by touching the X at the bottom of the screen...

All in all, they're fun reads so far, nothing too deep, but fun.

FM
Old 12-26-2010, 11:29 PM   #406
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

okay, have been playing and replaying some of the chapters in this week's episode of Cause of Death during the last couple of days off (i.e. no work, no karate, just relaxing at home) and I really like it. You get to be different people in the stories and they really play out like those old "write your own adventures" book I used to read as a kid although there are no dices. The musics adds a bit of ambiance to the reading.

FM
Old 12-27-2010, 12:05 AM   #407
Izulde
Head Coach

I personally love Surviving High School, so I'll have to check out Cause of Death.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:38 AM   #408
Bako
H.S. Freshman Team

Got the iPhone 4 for Christmas. Have downloaded many of the apps from this thread. It has been very useful.

The one app I am on the fence about is 1Password. Is it worth the 9.99 price tag?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:20 AM   #409
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bako View Post
Got the iPhone 4 for Christmas. Have downloaded many of the apps from this thread. It has been very useful.

The one app I am on the fence about is 1Password. Is it worth the 9.99 price tag?

1Password is awesome, both on the Mac and the iPhone. It's completely worth it as a security utility but do know that there are two versions, the one for $10 and the universal one (iPhone and iPad) for $15. They do the same things it's just that the universal one has a couple of extra features.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #410
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I personally love Surviving High School, so I'll have to check out Cause of Death.

from what little I've played with SHS, it's a tiny bit different, mostly in execution. In SHS you play only one character while you switch around a bit in CoD. They even have you playing out scenes where you are one of the victims. Kinda confused me at first but it's easy to follow when you read carefully at the start of a cjange of scenery.

FM
Old 12-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #411
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I tried a few other password applications and came back to 1Password. It's easily the most straight-forward, easy to use app for passwords I've come across. The dual protection is nice, too, if you choose to use it. Well worth the price in my opinion.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #412
samifan24
Pro Starter

So in Cause of Death you buy the game and then you must buy a new "episode" every week to keep playing?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #413
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
So in Cause of Death you buy the game and then you must buy a new "episode" every week to keep playing?

no, they release a new free episode every week. If you play it in the week it's released, you don't have to pay anything. If you wanna play past episode, or play next week's episode in advance, then you have to pay for those. Also, you can play with the free version of the game, it's the same as the paid version, only with ads (banner at the start and ad page where you click the X at the bottom right to go through).

FM
Old 12-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #414
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

dola, you should be able to play the Maskmaker episode when you download the game, that's the only episode I know that they have released so far, although the game was released more than a week ago. They could have released a new episode and I wouldn't know since I'm still working on that Maskmaker one, but I did receive a push notification when they did release a new one for Surviving High School. With Christmas Eve falling on a Friday (the day they released that SHS episode and the day of the week I think they always release their new episodes) they might not have released anything new for CoD...

FM
Old 12-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #415
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Good game FM. You smoked me.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #416
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:

It depends. Pros: I like having all my passwords with me since I carry my phone all the time. It also cost a lot less than $10 when I bought it (it could go on sale, but that's probably doubtful with the holidays over). My wife has an iPhone, and we have three iTouches that sync to the same iTunes account for a total of five devices. That's only $2 per device. It's a great app.

Cons: Price tag.

Bottom line is that it's very convenient and easy, but if $10 is too much to spend, you might be better off writing your passwords down somewhere else.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #417
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Good game FM. You smoked me.

was fun playing, I'm really liking Carcassonne. I sent you a couple invites, one for another one on one game and another for a three player game with TK. Just let me know if you don't plan on playing, just I don't wait on ya.

FM
Old 12-28-2010, 09:04 AM   #418
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

okay, need one of ya to try something with me. Saw this game called Disc Drivin' reviewed on TouchArcade. Basically, it's a turn-based racing game where you flick a disc when it's your turn to advance around a track. I'm thinking with the crowd we have here, it could be real fun to play but the thing is, it's strictly multiplayer and you can't challenge a random player on the net to a game (I know, it should be in there but the game is pretty new, maybe they plan on adding it later) so I can't even try it now.

Anyway, the game has a free, ad-supported version and if anybody here would like to try it, I'm FrogMan in the game.

FM
Old 12-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #419
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
was fun playing, I'm really liking Carcassonne. I sent you a couple invites, one for another one on one game and another for a three player game with TK. Just let me know if you don't plan on playing, just I don't wait on ya.

FM

I joined the three player game. I'm not sure how you get back to the original screen?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #420
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Sounds like the board game Pitchcar - which is a lot of fun in multiplayer.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:10 AM   #421
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I joined the three player game. I'm not sure how you get back to the original screen?

not sure if you found it, but you simply tap the gear icon and then "pause game" and you come back to your list of ongoing games...

FM
Old 12-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #422
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Sounds like the board game Pitchcar - which is a lot of fun in multiplayer.

yeah, the review did mention that game, but it means nothing to me. Never was a big board game player to be honest. Maybe I'm living my youth now.

FM
Old 12-28-2010, 09:14 AM   #423
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
okay, need one of ya to try something with me. Saw this game called Disc Drivin' reviewed on TouchArcade. Basically, it's a turn-based racing game where you flick a disc when it's your turn to advance around a track. I'm thinking with the crowd we have here, it could be real fun to play but the thing is, it's strictly multiplayer and you can't challenge a random player on the net to a game (I know, it should be in there but the game is pretty new, maybe they plan on adding it later) so I can't even try it now.

Anyway, the game has a free, ad-supported version and if anybody here would like to try it, I'm FrogMan in the game.

FM
Downloading right now.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:14 AM   #424
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
not sure if you found it, but you simply tap the gear icon and then "pause game" and you come back to your list of ongoing games...

FM

Got it. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #425
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Purchased Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit for the iPod Touch. Fun.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #426
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

FM

Quote:
Downloading right now.

we got a race going and it's pretty cool. It's just what you'd expect, you flick your disc when it's your turn and you do something else until you are push-notified that it's your turn to flick the disc again. You can have races with 2 to 4 people playing at once and as I said, there's a free version that is ad-supported and not limited in any way. They need to add some sort of stat tracking though, but the game is only two weeks old so maybe it'll come in an update at some point.

FM
Old 12-28-2010, 05:22 PM   #427
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Purchased Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit for the iPod Touch. Fun.

I also got it when they dropped it to 99cents but have not had a chance to test it out. I like the racing games on my Touch. Got GT Racing: Motor Academy, Real Racing (the first one) and NFS:Shift and love them all. Will probably dig into them in the coming week as I find some time to do some playing during my days off...

FM
Old 12-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #428
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I also got it when they dropped it to 99cents but have not had a chance to test it out. I like the racing games on my Touch. Got GT Racing: Motor Academy, Real Racing (the first one) and NFS:Shift and love them all. Will probably dig into them in the coming week as I find some time to do some playing during my days off...

FM

forgot to list Asphalt 5 in my list. Plenty to choose from when I want to get my fix of racing.

FM
Old 12-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #429
samifan24
Pro Starter

Does anyone own an iPhone 3G that can actually play games? My 3G turned two in September and seems to be on its last legs.

Last edited by samifan24 : 12-28-2010 at 11:05 PM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:57 PM   #430
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Quote:
we got a race going and it's pretty cool. It's just what you'd expect, you flick your disc when it's your turn and you do something else until you are push-notified that it's your turn to flick the disc again. You can have races with 2 to 4 people playing at once and as I said, there's a free version that is ad-supported and not limited in any way. They need to add some sort of stat tracking though, but the game is only two weeks old so maybe it'll come in an update at some point.

FM

I've got 10 races going on right now from folks at Touch Arcade. I'm "Leadfoot5" if you want to race...
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #431
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadresFan104 View Post
I've got 10 races going on right now from folks at Touch Arcade. I'm "Leadfoot5" if you want to race...

check your game. You're on.

FM
Old 12-29-2010, 07:46 AM   #432
wade moore
lolzcat

hrm, downloaded this "Disc Drivin'" to try it out...

userid - wademoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:49 AM   #433
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
hrm, downloaded this "Disc Drivin'" to try it out...

userid - wademoore

just challenged you to a race too, check you game, the race should be list in the "your turn"...

LOL, as I type this, I got a notification you had challenged me. Well we got two going then.

FM
Old 12-29-2010, 09:04 AM   #434
samifan24
Pro Starter

GameDevStory is 99 cents today, the lowest it has ever been. Highly recommended.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:19 AM   #435
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
GameDevStory is 99 cents today, the lowest it has ever been. Highly recommended.
Dev Story was fun, but after 3 20 year careers it got too easy for me.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 12-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #436
wade moore
lolzcat

FM, I don't have RA's username, want to set up a 4 person race with the 4 people that posted in this thread?

Quote:
Old 12-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #437
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
FM, I don't have RA's username, want to set up a 4 person race with the 4 people that posted in this thread?

done, RA's username is clint.flicker. Playing so far, we have:
FrogMan FrogMan
wade moore wademoore
PadresFan104 Leadfoot5
Raiders Army clint.flicker

FM
Old 12-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #438
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

don't know about others, but that disc driving game is a lot of fun! Thinking about starting some sort of racing league with any FOFCer who would like to enter. What do you guys think about it? Something like one-on-one races with standings of some sort...

FM
Old 12-30-2010, 07:17 PM   #439
samifan24
Pro Starter

The very good fitness tracking app Runkeeper Pro is free until the end of January. I've used the free version and recommend it highly. I use it to keep track of runs but you can also track bicycling and other fitness activities. It's normally a $10 app so pick this one up for free while you can!
Old 12-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #440
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
don't know about others, but that disc driving game is a lot of fun! Thinking about starting some sort of racing league with any FOFCer who would like to enter. What do you guys think about it? Something like one-on-one races with standings of some sort...

FM

Lots of fun, but I've fallen off 7 times in a row now. I should just give up, but I'm going to get there.

So....you're kicking my butt in Carcassonne and Disc Drivin'!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:12 PM   #441
samifan24
Pro Starter

Just downloaded Disc Drivin'. My username is samifan24
Old 12-30-2010, 11:18 PM   #442
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Lots of fun, but I've fallen off 7 times in a row now. I should just give up, but I'm going to get there.

So....you're kicking my butt in Carcassonne and Disc Drivin'!

well, you're doing an impersonation on Tin Cup with that ramp now

Carcassonne, you'll get the hang of it.

FM
Old 12-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #443
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

anybody know who Xaldin is?

FM
Old 12-30-2010, 11:33 PM   #444
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
anybody know who Xaldin is?

FM

ansering myself, he's PadresFan's son

FM
Old 12-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #445
samifan24
Pro Starter

Disc Drivin' takes some getting used to--at first I thought I just flicked once to move the disc but it turns out you need to drag your finger from the bottom of the screen to the top rather than flick with a finger. I'm doing much better now that I figured this out!
Old 12-31-2010, 07:22 AM   #446
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Skype for iphone now has video call available as of their update yesterday.

Tested it out and it works pretty similar to facetime for me, the difference obviously being that you can video call people on other skype devices and not just locked into facetiming other iphones.

Warning, it can be used in 3g or wifi mode, so if you are using it in 3g, you can eat up data minutes on your plan.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:28 AM   #447
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm sure Facetime will become available on 3G very soon as well.

The game Diner Dash is free today. The series seems to be very popular with women so I thought I'd offer a heads up on that one.

Last edited by samifan24 : 12-31-2010 at 07:31 AM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:32 AM   #448
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm sure Facetime will become available on 3G very soon as well.

The game Diner Dash is free today. The series seems to be very popular with women so I thought I'd offer a heads up on that one.

Yes, and facetime can also be connected to people on MACs with a facetime client too. Supposedly a facetime client for PCs is due out eventually as well, but it is not currently out or available.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:51 AM   #449
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Disc Drivin' takes some getting used to--at first I thought I just flicked once to move the disc but it turns out you need to drag your finger from the bottom of the screen to the top rather than flick with a finger. I'm doing much better now that I figured this out!

yeah, meant to post this little bit of help last night but it was just too late. It comes from this tourney from the people at We Heart Games. Here goes:
Quote:

I’ve been told that formal instructions are coming in an update. Here are some important tips from what I’ve learned so far:
  • Swipe speed and angle matter. You don’t just follow the aiming arrow exactly. You can swipe from the very bottom of the screen to the very top.
  • There’s an invisible “ceiling”. If you shoot to high up in the air, your disc will burst for lack of oxygen. Or something.
  • You need energy to use power-ups. You can get energy by:
    • Moving — it builds as you slide; faster if you’re behind.
    • Bumping other discs — you get some energy, they lose some.
    • Knocking a disc off the track — you get even more, they lose all of theirs.
    • Sliding through a lightning bolt.
  • You can only use power-ups while you’re moving.
  • It’s possible to use more than one power-up per turn.
  • Switch power-ups by pressing the button in the lower-left corner. You can even switch power-ups while you’re sliding.
  • Power-ups are:
    • Turbo: Boosts in the direction you’re moving so be careful around walls or you could go sideways or even backwards.
    • Stop: helpful to keep you from falling off the track, or to line yourself up for a jump, or stop yourself after a jump.
    • Oil slick
    • Bomb
    • Ghost: go through bumpers, obstacles, other discs, oil slicks & water. Bombs break apart if you hit them while ghosted. Will still bounce off the track walls. If you end your turn “inside” an obstacle or another disc, you get reset to your starting position but don’t lose any energy.
    • Jump

Even I learned something, especially about some of these boosts and what they do...

FM
Old 12-31-2010, 05:37 PM   #450
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

TK is at work and can't post here but she's got Disc Drivin'. Her nick is terpkristin.

FM