they aren't going to trade Votto.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:59 AM   #252
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
they aren't going to trade Votto.

True, but I've never seen him as frustrated as he is right now. They legit look like a AAA team out there. He's got no back up in the order. I know his trade clause is tight, and he's the face, but that doesn't mean he won't go.

In the meantime, it looks as if LA has finally shaken off the early jitters and is above .500 and moving in the right direction. They still have some fixing to do, like Kenley, but it is positive. Not much room for error though. Just over 10% of the way and it's easy to create an insurmountable hole for yourself.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:55 PM   #253
tarcone
Coordinator

Matheny is the worst manager when it comes to using relievers.
It will be his downfall.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:08 AM   #254
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
It will be his downfall.

I figured he turn over all bullpen duties over to the new pitching coach, guess not. He will have to at some point or the GM/Owner will find someone who will.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:37 AM   #255
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Riggleman might be worse than Price. He's batting Peraza second, with a current .260 obp and .575 ops and a lifetime ops of .657.

I'm pretty sure the Reds will win more than thirty games, but they're going to make a run for it.

Peraza went to the #2 spot under Price though (following the Suarez injury), all Riggleman has done is leave him there.

And under Riggleman, he's now 7/19 at the plate.
Maybe you reversed jinxed him lol
Old 04-25-2018, 07:28 AM   #256
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
It will be his downfall.

WTF was with trying to challenge that Bruce missed a base on the HR? He couldn't have more squarely hit each one if he was crawling.

The crew chief should be fired for granting that challenge.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:53 AM   #257
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dodgers are broken still
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:38 PM   #258
PilotMan
Head Coach

After having watched that Twins/Reds game I'd say, at least they're better than the Twins, right now. Nothing like blowing 8 runs of offense by the 5th inning, and ending up allowing 15 to the Reds.

Like Steam?

Old 05-04-2018, 10:41 PM   #259
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Pujols gets hit 3000.

32nd player in history. He's just the fourth player to have both 3000 hits and 600 homeruns (Aaron, Mays and ARod).

I remember when this used to be a big deal.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:43 PM   #260
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Pujols gets hit 3000.

32nd player in history. He's just the fourth player to have both 3000 hits and 600 homeruns (Aaron, Mays and ARod).

I remember when this used to be a big deal.

So happy for him. I really enjoyed watching him throughout his Cardinal career. Definitely the best hitter I've ever watched in person.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 05-04-2018 at 10:44 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:19 PM   #261
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dodgers rookie phenom, Walker Buehler, combines with 3 other relievers to throw a No Hitter!
Old 05-04-2018, 11:20 PM   #262
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Good night of baseball

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:01 PM   #263
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Dodgers rookie phenom, Walker Buehler, combines with 3 other relievers to throw a No Hitter!

Not sure he's at phenom level yet, but he's looking better and better with each start. Wish he was as young as Kershaw was when he came up, but I think he'll be alright. Wish Urias was healthy and dominating.

Like Steam?

Old 05-06-2018, 12:06 PM   #264
JPhillips
General Manager

Poor Yadier Molina. Surgery and out for a month after a deflected fastball to the junk.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #265
JPhillips
General Manager

How bad has the Reds pitching been over the past two plus seasons?

Well, the best pitching, the Indians, accounted for a 53.2 WAR.

The next to last team, the Padres accounted for a 18.8 WAR.

The Reds accounted for a 1.7 WAR.

edit: The Reds have had an ERA of 5.05 over that time span. But that's only because of their good fielding. Their FIP is 5.16.

Last edited by JPhillips : 05-06-2018 at 04:32 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:49 PM   #266
PilotMan
Head Coach

LA is so fucked now. Kersh is on the DL with a bitch of an injury. That's one that is going to be linger and be an issue. I think I'm ready to sell the season already. Incredible how this season has just been a continuation of the nosedive feeling after game 7. sigh.

Like Steam?

Old 05-06-2018, 05:27 PM   #267
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Yeah, it must really suck to be a Dodgers fan and be out of first place for the first time in five years. The heart; it aches.

Maybe next we can hear how terrible the Red Sox fans have it since they lost a game or two last month.

Last edited by Shkspr : 05-06-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:46 PM   #268
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
LA is so fucked now. Kersh is on the DL with a bitch of an injury. That's one that is going to be linger and be an issue. I think I'm ready to sell the season already. Incredible how this season has just been a continuation of the nosedive feeling after game 7. sigh.

Maybe he won't opt out?

/wishful thinking
Old 05-06-2018, 08:20 PM   #269
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
Yeah, it must really suck to be a Dodgers fan and be out of first place for the first time in five years. The heart; it aches.

Maybe next we can hear how terrible the Red Sox fans have it since they lost a game or two last month.

Cause I fondly remember all that winning we did in the 90s and oghts. Did the MLB have to take control of your team cause it was so fucked up? Didn't think so.

Like Steam?

Old 05-06-2018, 09:57 PM   #270
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Cause I fondly remember all that winning we did in the 90s and oghts. Did the MLB have to take control of your team cause it was so fucked up? Didn't think so.

::looks sadly at Expos cap sitting dusty on a shelf high in the corner::
Old 05-06-2018, 10:12 PM   #271
PilotMan
Head Coach

lol

touche

Like Steam?

Old 05-06-2018, 10:58 PM   #272
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
How bad has the Reds pitching been over the past two plus seasons?

Well, the best pitching, the Indians, accounted for a 53.2 WAR.

The next to last team, the Padres accounted for a 18.8 WAR.

The Reds accounted for a 1.7 WAR.

edit: The Reds have had an ERA of 5.05 over that time span. But that's only because of their good fielding. Their FIP is 5.16.

The Reds pWAR was so bad last year, if you removed their worst starter and replaced him with the best pWAR pitcher in MLB last year, Chris Sale, their team pWAR would still be DEAD LAST.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #273
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Mets just Metsed so hard, the whole of MLB is laughing at the Mets Mettsness
Old 05-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #274
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
The Mets just Metsed so hard, the whole of MLB is laughing at the Mets Mettsness

Yeah the reaction is certainly warranted since this has never ever happened before in a professional baseball game.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #275
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Yeah the reaction is certainly warranted since this has never ever happened before in a professional baseball game.

It's actually only been like two years since we've seen it.

You know how time flies.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #276
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

James Paxton had already made a nice leap forward a few years ago when he adjusted his mechanics and boosted his already plus velocity a couple notches, and now it appears he's made another adjustment (pitching higher in the zone) which has resulted in a 7 IP/5 H/0 R/16 K game and now a 9 IP/0 H/0 R/7 K game back to back. If this change isn't just a blip, and if he can stay healthy (always an issue with Big Maple) he's just transformed himself into one of the elite pitchers in the game.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #277
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Robinson Cano out for 80 games for a drug ban.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #278
cuervo72
Head Coach

I haven't been paying close attention and looked at the standings today...WTF happened to the Royals??
Old 05-17-2018, 07:26 PM   #279
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I haven't been paying close attention and looked at the standings today...WTF happened to the Royals??

There's a Fansided article from before spring training that broke it down.
(c&p instead of linking cause I can't recall whose links break threads here)

Only 11 players on the 40-man roster when they won the WS are still with the club.

Drew Butera
Alex Gordon
Salvador Perez
Danny Duffy
Miguel Almonte
Raul Mondesi
Cheslor Cuthbert
Alcides Escobar
Kelvin Herrera
Terrance Gore
Paulo Orlando

Of those, only 7 were contributors to that title win.

The rest are to the four winds

Johnny Cueto — Signed a six-year, $130 million free agent contract with the San Francisco Giants in 2016.
Wade Davis — Traded to the Chicago Cubs during the 2016-2017 offseason. Signed a three-year, $52 million contract with the Colorado Rockies in 2018.
Brandon Finnegan — Traded to the Cincinnati Reds during the 2015 All-Star Break. Still with the Reds.
Ryan Madson — Signed a three-year, $22 million contract with the Oakland Athletics in 2016. Traded to the Washington Nationals at the deadline in 2017.
Kris Medlen — Signed a one-year, $1.1 million contract with the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2018.
Jason Vargas — Signed a two-year, $16 million contract with the New York Mets in 2018.
Eric Hosmer — Signed an eight-year, $144 million contract with the San Diego Padres in 2018.
Kendrys Morales — Signed a three year, $33 million contract with the Toronto Blue Jays in 2017.
Ben Zobrist — Signed a four-year, $56 million contract with the Chicago Cubs in 2016.
Lorenzo Cain — Signed a five-year, $80 million contract with the Milwaukee Brewers in 2018.
Jarrod Dyson — Signed a two-year, $7.5 million contract with the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2018.

Still in the league (minor league deals):
Edinson Volquez –Signed a minor league deal with the Texas Rangers in 2018
Chris Young — Signed a minor league deal with the San Diego Padres in 2018
Christian Colon — Signed a minor league deal with the Atlanta Braves in 2018
Omar Infante — Signed a minor league deal with the Detroit Tigers in 2017.

Free agents:
Mike Moustakas — Free agent
Greg Holland — Free agent
Luke Hochevar — Recovering from season-ending surgery in 2016 and is still a free agent.

No longer in the league:

Jason Frasor — Traded to the Atlanta Braves in July of 2015. Retired after the conclusion of the 2015 season.
Alex Rios — Retired after the 2015 season.
Yordano Ventura — tragically passed away in January of 2017.
Jeremy Guthrie — Missed all of 2016 and retired after one game with the Washington Nationals in 2017.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:42 PM   #280
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

FYI, Moustakas has since returned to the Royals.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:30 PM   #281
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

They became the Royals again?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #282
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If this is the end of the line for Joey Bats, I'm really sorry to see him go. Early career really got derailed by poor Pirates management. That one season alone he was on about 5 teams because they couldn't be bothered to protect him in the rule 5 draft. Playing in Toronto really helped as well.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:07 PM   #283
bhlloy
Coordinator

Teams are just starting to give Trout the prime Bonds treatment.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:23 AM   #284
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Teams are just starting to give Trout the prime Bonds treatment.

It's funny actually. Some teams do and sometimes don't. The Astros earlier this week were pretty careful with Trout, but he was actually in a bit of a slump. Plus, that series finished with Cole and Verlander, who will throw hard to anybody.

Tampa Bay came in and pitched to him, too. They got away with it for a game but then he tagged them for longballs two nights in a row. On Sunday, they finally gave him the Bonds treatment (and ironically only lost today).

Trout has been receiving progressively more walks the past two or three seasons.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #285
Logan
Head Coach

I hope everyone read that ESPN article from last week detailing how Trout is having the best single season in history, by far. The whole thing was awesome but loved the detail on how his WAR actually went up during a few 0-fers.

Will link when I can if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:55 PM   #286
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I hope everyone read that ESPN article from last week detailing how Trout is having the best single season in history, by far. The whole thing was awesome but loved the detail on how his WAR actually went up during a few 0-fers.

Will link when I can if someone doesn't beat me to it.

I didn't see that. Would love to read it.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #287
MrBug708
Head Coach

Liked what the rays did this weekend vs the angels, with the creativity in starting Romo for an inning
Old 05-21-2018, 04:57 PM   #288
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Was just reading about that. Fascinating idea.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:22 AM   #289
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I didn't see that. Would love to read it.

Sorry for the holdup.

Los Angeles Angels' Mike Trout is on pace for the greatest season in MLB history
Old 05-22-2018, 01:25 PM   #290
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tebow is actually playing pretty decent in AA. Might make it after all.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:51 PM   #291
JPhillips
General Manager

He'll probably get a call up in September for PR purposes, but he's currently below league average in average and on base percentage. He's significantly higher in slugging, but there's nothing that's screaming MLB success.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:00 PM   #292
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No worries! I honestly shoulda just searched for it.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:34 PM   #293
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So if an NL team was to start a reliever like the Rays, what would be the ideal spot to bat the pitcher?

Last edited by stevew : 05-24-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:53 PM   #294
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
So if an NL team was to start a reliever like the Ray's, what would be the ideal spot to bat the pitcher?

2/3rds
Old 05-24-2018, 08:57 PM   #295
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Probably depends on whether the team using the reliever to start is at home or on the road, and how many batters they want him to face, but in most cases, your actual "starting" pitcher is in there by the time the bottom of the order rolls around, so you're not really losing anything by just keeping him in the 9 spot (or 8th, if you swing that way).
Old 05-24-2018, 11:46 PM   #296
MrBug708
Head Coach

I would think still 9th. Otherwise you would be chasing double switches all game.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:22 AM   #297
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

In other news, Hanley Ramirez DFA'd by the Sox.

Color me shocked.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #298
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
In other news, Hanley Ramirez DFA'd by the Sox.

Color me shocked.

Wow. I guess we should have seen this coming as a possibility though when Pedroia was activated. Hanley is due $22 million next year if he accumulates enough plate appearances this season. I guess this just showed he had minimal trade value so they were just going to DFA him whenever it made sense roster-wise.

I figured they were going to finally move on from Swihart though, since he never plays and everything.

Last edited by molson : 05-25-2018 at 10:39 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:28 PM   #299
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Wow. I guess we should have seen this coming as a possibility though when Pedroia was activated. Hanley is due $22 million next year if he accumulates enough plate appearances this season. I guess this just showed he had minimal trade value so they were just going to DFA him whenever it made sense roster-wise.

I figured they were going to finally move on from Swihart though, since he never plays and everything.
Yeah, they've mismanaged Swihart so much I thought keeping Hanley as the backup 1B/DH & not giving him enough PA to vest his 2019 option made more sense, but I also hadn't realized he was slumping after his hot start. Even if one of Leon/Vasquez gets hurt I don't get the feeling they'd play Swihart at catcher more than 1x/week anyway, but they're asking teams to treat him like a top flight catching prospect in a trade? Whatever, I'll go back to mostly ignoring the Sox until the Celtics are done.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #300
Scarecrow
College Prospect

not MLB related, but my daughter's high school rival pulled off the greatest hidden ball trick...

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/05/hig...-topeka-seaman