Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
tarcone
Coordinator

2019 FIFA Womens World Cup

International Soccer. This is the only soccer I watch is the world cup stuff, be it mens or womens.

USA hung 13 on Thailand and is getting called out for poor sportsmanship.

Too bad, Thailand should have played better.

The USA is one of the favorites again

Live on fox

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
International Soccer. This is the only soccer I watch is the world cup stuff, be it mens or womens.

USA hung 13 on Thailand and is getting called out for poor sportsmanship.

Too bad, Thailand should have played better.

The USA is one of the favorites again

Live on fox

I think people are more upset at the level of celebration for goals 9 on. The way they were going I'm surprised someone didn't pull a hammy. Given the tiebreaking format I don't think anyone should have a problem with the number of goals that were scored, but it's not necessary to go with a big celebration when you're crushing an overmatched opponent.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
I think people are more upset at the level of celebration for goals 9 on. The way they were going I'm surprised someone didn't pull a hammy. Given the tiebreaking format I don't think anyone should have a problem with the number of goals that were scored, but it's not necessary to go with a big celebration when you're crushing an overmatched opponent.

That's exactly the issue some people are having. I have no issues with the score, just show a bit of restraint with the over the top celebrations.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:55 AM   #4
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
That's exactly the issue some people are having. I have no issues with the score, just show a bit of restraint with the over the top celebrations.

FWIW, if the Blues go up 13-0 tonight, I think your over-the-top celebration would be incredibly appropriate. And I wouldn't be offended by every Blues goal being celebrated by the team the same as the one before.

Edit: I'm not a big outwardly emotional celebrator myself in any context, but I don't think there's any reason for someone to mute themselves if that's who they are, player or fan, as long as its not directed in a hostile way at the opposing team or fans.

Last edited by molson : 06-12-2019 at 12:03 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I don't mind the celebrating. In theory, everyone qualified for the World Cup and goal difference matters - I have no issue with running up the score or celebrating when you accomplish something pretty historic (13 goals and 5 by one player).
Old 06-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #6
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Considering the level of personal, familial shit-talking you can sometimes see & hear going on between the most minor of NFL/NBA plays, I think this might be a case of projection by the fans/viewers.

To get to this level every player on the Thai team has probably been on the winning side of dozens of similar performances & displays.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-12-2019 at 12:38 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:52 PM   #7
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
+2

If goal difference actually matters as much as people are claiming now, get back to your side so you can put in a 14th. (And considering Chile is actually ranked even lower than Thailand I don't think getting out of the group will be a big issue.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:54 PM   #8
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Considering the level of personal, familial shit-talking you can sometimes see & hear going on between the most minor of NFL/NBA plays, I think this might be a case of projection by the fans/viewers.

To get to this level every player on the Thai team has probably been on the winning side of dozens of similar performances & displays.

I see the Thai women beat Indonesia 13-0 in a friendly last year.

I'm sure the celebrations weren't as big as they'd be in a world cup game, but, is winning by that much in a friendly considered bad form?

Edit: And in last year's AFF championship, they beat Timor-Leste 8-0, Cambodia 11-0, and Malaysia 8-0. They certainly didn't need that many goals to get to the knockout round.

Last edited by molson : 06-12-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:40 PM   #9
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I see the Thai women beat Indonesia 13-0 in a friendly last year.

I'm sure the celebrations weren't as big as they'd be in a world cup game, but, is winning by that much in a friendly considered bad form?

Edit: And in last year's AFF championship, they beat Timor-Leste 8-0, Cambodia 11-0, and Malaysia 8-0. They certainly didn't need that many goals to get to the knockout round.

I don't think anyone is getting bent over running up the score, if the other team doesn't like it, they should be stopping them and all that. In fact I think it's better to play hard all the way through because it's a way worse feeling when a superior opponent lets up on you. However, I think if you obviously are outclassing the opposition you can show a little respect and just limit the celly to a fist pump and some high fives instead of a choreographed broadway line dance.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
FWIW, if the Blues go up 13-0 tonight, I think your over-the-top celebration would be incredibly appropriate. And I wouldn't be offended by every Blues goal being celebrated by the team the same as the one before.

Edit: I'm not a big outwardly emotional celebrator myself in any context, but I don't think there's any reason for someone to mute themselves if that's who they are, player or fan, as long as its not directed in a hostile way at the opposing team or fans.

If we go up 13-0 tonight I apologize in advance for anything I do that's over the top. Which might just be streaking down our street.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #11
Johnny93g
College Starter

Anyone suggesting scoring as much as you can being wrong doesn't understand sports. And for the most part, i don't see anyone really suggesting that. The problem people are having is obviously the ridiculous over the top celebrations. You can be ok with the 13 goals, and not be ok with the celebrations.

I find it hilarious though, to see people suggesting that 13 goals by this team means they should be getting equal pay as the mens teams. I've seen broadcaster, celebrities and fans suggest this, and it boggles my mind. Not sure what a beat down of a clearly inferior opponent has to do with deserving the same money then the number one game in town.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML

Last edited by Johnny93g : 06-12-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #12
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
I find it hilarious though, to see people suggesting that 13 goals by this team means they should be getting equal pay as the mens teams. I've seen broadcaster, celebrities and fans suggest this, and it boggles my mind. Not sure what a beat down of a clearly inferior opponent has to do with deserving the same money then the number one game in town.

The entire debate is completely confused. Mostly because the Men and Women get paid in entirely different ways - The Men get money for making the roster and games they play in, in addition to per diems. The Women get a SALARY from US Soccer in addition to roster and win bonuses. Now I agree the per diems should be the same, but the rest of it you have to take into account the salary that is spent on the women when discussing equalizing the roster and win bonuses. And most of these commentators don't understand that in the slightest.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-12-2019 at 04:12 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #13
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Not sure what a beat down of a clearly inferior opponent has to do with deserving the same money then the number one game in town.

I'd say they deserve the same or more money because unlike the men's team, they're actually World Cup caliber.

Last edited by molson : 06-12-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #14
Johnny93g
College Starter

https://www.instagram.com/p/BynxgCohtsw/

Quote:
Make way for the most deserving #WCW this week, all 23 of them! These ladies are absolute powerhouses and inspirations on and off the field! Endless congrats to these superstars on taking home quite the win yesterday AND making history - breaking the record for the biggest win in Women's and Men’s World Cup history (13-0, NBD!), scoring the most goals in a single half, and Alex Morgan now being tied for scoring the most goals scored by a player in a single World Cup match! 😍👏🏼 Despite all of these accomplishments, there is still a huge pay disparity between women's and men’s teams. Did you know that these women won the 2015 Women’s World Cup and brought home a combined $1,725,000? While this is an outstanding achievement, let’s not forget the U.S. Men’s National Team brought home MORE than twice that after losing in the men’s 2014 round of 16. I am so proud of @carlilloyd, @alexmorgan13, and @mrapinoe for taking a stand against their employer, the U.S. Soccer Federation, for gender discrimination by addressing compensation, working conditions, and how the investments being made are affecting their pay. You can read more about it with the link in bio. Great work ladies, you deserve to be paid fairly and I’m cheering you on - in all the ways!! ⚽️💥 #USWNT #FIFAWWC #WWC2019

That's from Michelle Monaghan's instagram, who by the way, i LOVE!!! This is the kind of crap i'm seeing. What does winning have to do with it? These American team is clearly the best or one of the best in the world at their sport. Woman's soccer. Amazing!! They can make a living playing woman's soccer. Stop comparing it to men's soccer or men's soccer results. If the results are so important, why not play a game between the two teams. Ya i know how stupid that sounds, but come on. This is so stupid.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #15
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I'd say they deserve the same or more money because unlike the men's team, they're actually World Cup caliber.
Like 90% of the money comes from global World Cup rights fees, and the networks (obviously) pay more money for the men's tournaments. Blame the USSF for a lot of things, but in this case blame the world for being sexist (or whatever, because saying you'd rather watch men who are more athletic play sports than women might get you in trouble these days).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The entire debate is completely confused. Mostly because the Men and Women get paid in entirely different ways - The Men get money for making the roster and games they play in, in addition to per diems. The Women get a SALARY from US Soccer in addition to roster and win bonuses. Now I agree the per diems should be the same, but the rest of it you have to take into account the salary that is spent on the women when discussing equalizing the roster and win bonuses. And most of these commentators don't understand that in the slightest.
Yep. The women's contract was negotiated because there was no viable pro league, so they set it up where the USSF paid them 100k & health benefits, and they schedule many more camps & friendlies (where they average about half the men's team's attendance figures despite cheaper tickets) to make more money. But now that a lot of European club teams are getting on board the US actually demanded their best player come back to play in the worse and lower paying US pro league if she wanted to play for the national team.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #16
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think anyone who can celebrate a 13-0 win in the World Cup and bemoan the difference in pay between Mens and Womens soccer in the same argument and not see the fact those two points are on different sides can probably be safely ignored.

I've also seen Rapinoe and Wambach both trumpet the "would you be criticizing celebrating if it was a mens game" and the answer is yes, they absolutely would. I've seen many mens games at all levels at soccer in this exact scenario.

I'm generally for Women's equality, but sometimes market forces are market forces and sometimes arguments are just stupid. Like Bishop said, blame the world for not wanting to watch or sponsor it at the same level.

Last edited by bhlloy : 06-12-2019 at 05:57 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:01 PM   #17
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:

And I'd argue completely the opposite, it shows that the parity and quality of the game is nowhere near the same, which explains why less people worldwide watch it and why it makes way less money.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:09 PM   #18
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Like 90% of the money comes from global World Cup rights fees, and the networks (obviously) pay more money for the men's tournaments. Blame the USSF for a lot of things, but in this case blame the world for being sexist (or whatever, because saying you'd rather watch men who are more athletic play sports than women might get you in trouble these days).

Nothing can be done about World Cup rights fees, but in the team's lawsuit against the USSF for example, they're going after the USSF's role in the overall disparity, when it comes to working conditions and medical treatment and other things.

Mostly though I just wanted to take a shot at the men's team.

Last edited by molson : 06-12-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #19
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

I think it's one thing if you win over an evenly-matched team like that in a final -- like say, Germany/Brazil. In an opening round game against a team who is clearly inferior and probably doesn't deserve to even be in the tourney?* Eh, tone it down after maybe the sixth goal. Keep scoring because you need to per the rules, but you're not accomplishing anything of any great effort at that point. It's like dunking on a five-year-old.

* I am of the mind that if you have games like this, your tourney is watered down or not ready for prime time. There's no point in a team like Thailand being there, there slot is a participation trophy. Same goes for NCAA Women's BB (and to some extent, Men's BB). Don't include teams who don't belong there.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:32 PM   #20
tarcone
Coordinator

Australia comes back from a 2-0 deficit against Brazil to win 3-2. Winning goal was an own goal by Brazil

Old 06-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #21
miami_fan
Coordinator

Between the rule changes for handball and an emphasis on goalkeeper discipline during penalty kicks, the game moving forward....oof
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:24 AM   #22
Butter
Coordinator

I say on the ref whistle, the keeper can charge the ball. That'll make for some interesting penalties and stop this hesitation bullshit.

Last edited by Butter : 06-14-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #23
tarcone
Coordinator

This discussion just happened in the Nigeria/France game.

Nigerian goalkeeper took one step forward. France kicker missed PK. They reviewed and gave France another PK, which she made which made the game 1-0 in the 86th minute.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:06 PM   #24
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
This discussion just happened in the Nigeria/France game.

Nigerian goalkeeper took one step forward. France kicker missed PK. They reviewed and gave France another PK, which she made which made the game 1-0 in the 86th minute.
"One step forward" suggests she didn't commit a foul, I'd describe it as the goalkeeper taking a leap forward, going from starting behind the goal line to millimeters ahead of it with both feet.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:13 PM   #25
tarcone
Coordinator

I guess you are right. But it didnt have an effect on the outcome. But rules are rules.

This is why Rugby has laws and not rules.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:55 PM   #26
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess you are right. But it didnt have an effect on the outcome. But rules are rules.

This is why Rugby has laws and not rules.

Soccer also has laws - they are called the Laws of the Game (not rules).

But as in most countries, laws are subject to interpretation by the officials.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:38 PM   #27
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Soccer also has laws - they are called the Laws of the Game (not rules).

But as in most countries, laws are subject to interpretation by the officials.

True. They are.

Sorry you missed my Rugby is better than soccer dig.

Or maybe you didnt.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:47 PM   #28
tarcone
Coordinator

U-S-A! U-S-A!

Big win over France on their turf.

Keep politics out of sport.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:35 PM   #29
Butter
Coordinator

Rapinoe out due to injury today.

Hopefully our arrogance can carry us through.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:12 PM   #30
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Great start!
Old 07-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #31
MIJB#19
Coordinator

We're back to this thread now? This is getting confusing.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:33 PM   #32
Butter
Coordinator

Guessing on a 4-3 final, neither defense looks convincing AT ALL.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #33
JPhillips
General Manager

Amazing how different a player can look from match to match. I thought Lavelle was terrible against France, but she's been unstoppable so far today against England.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:26 PM   #34
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wow. I can't believe they took that goal away from England. That was an awful call.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:32 PM   #35
PilotMan
Head Coach

Me either. I mean, it looks like pixel on pixel.

This game is going to have another goal. The US are playing really aggressive up top and out of the back. Which may get them the 3, but my open the goal for England. It's probably how I'd play in FM with confidence in my team to be able to score again, no matter if my opponent scores the equalizer or not. That's not typically what you see at this level though.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #36
AlexB
Pro Starter

That’s not a pen for me
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #37
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Wow. I can't believe they took that goal away from England. That was an awful call.

It was the right decision. I don’t know how it can be argued to be wrong? Edit - right to disallow it.

Last edited by AlexB : 07-02-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #38
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
That’s not a pen for me

I think it probably was but shouldn't be with the evidence available. There was an angle that looked like the legs clipped, but I don't see conclusive proof - most just look like she's kicking air.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #39
PilotMan
Head Coach

Now I see what everyone is talking about with this stupid ass review system.

That was total bullshit too.

The attacker kicks the defender, who is running and holding her line (and making contact nowhere else). That's total bs.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 07-02-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:41 PM   #40
bhlloy
Coordinator

Well, VAR has achieved it's apparent desired goal of awarding a penalty and chalking off a well worked goal over millimeters, so everyone wins.

What a shit penalty. Nice to see the ladies have their own Southgate now.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #41
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The attacker kicks the defender, who is running and holding her line. That's total bs.

That’s not what happened, but it wasn’t a penalty. It was incidental contact, tangle legs that you sometimes see between a WR and DB on a deep post. No-one kicked anyone

Last edited by AlexB : 07-02-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #42
PilotMan
Head Coach

Honestly, what a total fucking mess.

Like Steam?

Old 07-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #43
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I think it probably was but shouldn't be with the evidence available. There was an angle that looked like the legs clipped, but I don't see conclusive proof - most just look like she's kicking air.

Definite contact, but just an incidental tangle of legs.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:44 PM   #44
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
That’s not what happened, but it wasn’t a penalty. It was incidental contact, tangle legs thatbyounsometimes see between a WR and DB on a deep post. No-one kicked anyone

Well yeah, incidental. The striker brings her right leg back to strike the ball, and hits the defender's shin which throws off her timing leading to the bad miss. My point was the defender was just running, that's it.

Like Steam?

Old 07-02-2019, 03:50 PM   #45
AlexB
Pro Starter

I haven’t seen the US play before - I’m assuming this isn’t a great performance by their standards as a lot of the players look like they have a lot of ability, it’s just not gelling. Defending pretty well though to be fair.

Last edited by AlexB : 07-02-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:52 PM   #46
AlexB
Pro Starter

Dola, should add that they still look better than England, just might be frustrating for us that we caught you on a bad day and still didn’t take advantage
Old 07-02-2019, 04:03 PM   #47
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dammit England, you had ONE job
Old 07-02-2019, 04:07 PM   #48
PilotMan
Head Coach

Tory; go home.

Like Steam?

Old 07-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #49
tarcone
Coordinator

Big win. And a tough gme.

Seems the rest of the world is catching up. That will be good for the sport.

USA! USA! USA!

Old 07-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #50
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Tory; go home.