Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2019, 06:30 PM   #51
bhlloy
Coordinator

There’s no danger of the NFL paying anything for a development league while it is getting a completely free one in college football. Especially as many of the most recent changes to college football love it away from being student athlete focused and more towards just being a giant prep exercise for players who want to go to the NFL.

bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:46 PM   #52
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
There’s no danger of the NFL paying anything for a development league while it is getting a completely free one in college football. Especially as many of the most recent changes to college football love it away from being student athlete focused and more towards just being a giant prep exercise for players who want to go to the NFL.

There's definitely some truth to that, but what about those players that blossom after college? It's like, if you haven't developed the necessary skills to make it to the NFL when you're 22, you're done. You saw what happened with Kurt Warner. He got reps in the Arena League and NFL Europe and blossomed late. Having some sort of farm system for guys in their mid 20s seems like a good way for a team to get some talent, even if it means for five years instead of ten.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:09 PM   #53
bhlloy
Coordinator

I’m honestly not sure it’s the same league where a QB is a bust if he hasn’t started and not sucked by the end of year two any more. And even if it is, as good as Warner is are they really going to pay hundreds of millions to find the diamond in the rough every few years? I just can’t see a situation where anybody in the NFL feels like it makes financial sense.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:26 PM   #54
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
are they really going to pay hundreds of millions to find the diamond in the rough every few years? I just can’t see a situation where anybody in the NFL feels like it makes financial sense.

This.

Especially when that scenario produces a diamond in the rough with higher mileage than normal AND a shorter shelf life.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #55
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

If they did think it was worth it, they'd bring back NFL Europe it'd be cheaper and it's maintain an inroads to audience they're actually interested in. Nobody is trying to convince fans in minor league cities to watch football they already are.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:14 AM   #56
molson
General Manager

College football is the only developmental league the NFL needs.

This is the one sport where less game time is desirable for everyone involved, not more.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:16 PM   #57
Izulde
Head Coach

'You didn't play to get rich': what killed NFL Europe? | Sport | The Guardian

Good synopsis there. I wish it still existed. I didn't pay attention to the XFL and haven't to the AAF, but I loved watching NFL Europe and actually paid attention to it.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:18 PM   #58
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
This.

Especially when that scenario produces a diamond in the rough with higher mileage than normal AND a shorter shelf life.

FWIW, it also was a source of coaching development and trial balloons for changes. So it wasn't just about finding diamonds in the rough for players. While it was a financial loss on the balance sheet, I think when you consider the net intangible benefits, it was worth it.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:29 PM   #59
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
College football is the only developmental league the NFL needs.

This is the one sport where less game time is desirable for everyone involved, not more.
Quarterbacks are the one major exception, and WR/DB seem to be the positions most often overlooked & late developing. To the point I wonder if the answer is an NFL affiliated 7 on 7 league in the spring for young/futures contract players.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:51 PM   #60
bob
College Starter

How does minor league baseball still exist when the other sports don't need / have minor leagues? College baseball does exist - is it that much harder to determine who will be good in the majors in baseball?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:56 PM   #61
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
How does minor league baseball still exist when the other sports don't need / have minor leagues? College baseball does exist - is it that much harder to determine who will be good in the majors in baseball?

Yes
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:54 PM   #62
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

Also, it's an established system that's almost as old as the game itself. And the costs are shared, it's pretty cheap to run. And not true other sports don't have/need them, hockey has a solid minor league system that's the closest to baseball in terms of multiple affiliates per team, etc., and NBA finally created its own that's evolving into a useful tool.

It's just football that doesn't need it since it's subsidized by the NCAA. And MLS is basically just a minor league itself.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:06 PM   #63
bhlloy
Coordinator

Is the G League a useful tool? Who was the last player to come from the G League who is playing a major role on an NBA team?

I also wonder if minor league baseball looks the same in 10 years. Already you hear noises about compensating minor league players differently and some of the quirkier small town teams are folding. I wonder how sustainable it all is and if you really need 5-6 levels of minor league ball for each MLB team.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:20 PM   #64
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is the G League a useful tool? Who was the last player to come from the G League who is playing a major role on an NBA team?

Jeremy Lin comes to mind off hand.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:51 PM   #65
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

Robert Covington, Birdman Andersen, Giannis' little bro are three that come to mind immediately. Chuck Hayes was a rotational player IIRC.

Edit: Shelvin Mack, too.

Last edited by Izulde : 03-28-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:51 PM   #66
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

[quote=bhlloy;3234627]Is the G League a useful tool? Who was the last player to come from the G League who is playing a major role on an NBA team?

Alumni in the NBA: 53% Of Players On End-of-Season NBA Rosters Have NBA G League Experience - NBA G League

Hassan Whiteside, Danny Green, the aforementioned Jeremy Lin, Robert Covington, Chris "Birdman" Anderson, J.J. Barea, Khris Middleton, et. al.

Nobody needs a NBA minor league to discover the next Lebron, but if it can be an instrumental part of developing coaches and 6th men...that's well worth the cash. Especially since the alternative for so long was going overseas or playing in underfunded leagues where you might not get paid domestically.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:02 PM   #67
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
FWIW, it also was a source of coaching development and trial balloons for changes. So it wasn't just about finding diamonds in the rough for players. While it was a financial loss on the balance sheet, I think when you consider the net intangible benefits, it was worth it.

I will give you it being a trial balloon for changes to the game but why, after this offseason, would the NFL be looking in the AAF for coaching development when they could just check the Rams sideline.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:31 PM   #68
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I will give you it being a trial balloon for changes to the game but why, after this offseason, would the NFL be looking in the AAF for coaching development when they could just check the Rams sideline.

Are you trying to tell me that the Head Ball Coach doesn't have another NFL run in him?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:38 PM   #69
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Are you trying to tell me that the Head Ball Coach doesn't have another NFL run in him?

He don't even run to the clubhouse after the 18th hole at this point.

Hey, at 73 I wouldn't either so I ain't knockin it.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:03 PM   #70
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

Is he a McVay protege?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:25 PM   #71
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Quote:

Alumni in the NBA: 53% Of Players On End-of-Season NBA Rosters Have NBA G League Experience - NBA G League

Hassan Whiteside, Danny Green, the aforementioned Jeremy Lin, Robert Covington, Chris "Birdman" Anderson, J.J. Barea, Khris Middleton, et. al.

Nobody needs a NBA minor league to discover the next Lebron, but if it can be an instrumental part of developing coaches and 6th men...that's well worth the cash. Especially since the alternative for so long was going overseas or playing in underfunded leagues where you might not get paid domestically.
Yah, the G League isn't there for superstars (though it is trending towards developing post-HS'ers), it's there so NBA teams can plug a guy in at the end of their rotation when injuries hit. Otherwise players 400-1000 in the world would all be playing overseas for more money and unavailable on short term notice. It's not 100% a coincidence it became a mandate when European teams started putting up enough money no players at that level were staying here in the CBA.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 03-28-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:42 PM   #72
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
He don't even run to the clubhouse after the 18th hole at this point.

Hey, at 73 I wouldn't either so I ain't knockin it.

He looked pretty friggin rough hobbling around the sidelines. I know it was a recent back surgery but it looked like he ought to be in a wheelchair. But he's probably been one of the only reasons to tune in to this league.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #73
stevew
Hall Of Famer

RIP
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #74
molson
General Manager

Now we can all focus on the XFL.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:16 PM   #75
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Shocked really isn't the word I'm looking for here

Source - AAF suspends operations in 1st season
Old 04-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #76
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Well, I guess I missed out on some football.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #77
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Well, I guess I missed out on some football.

If you use the term loosely perhaps
Old 04-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #78
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I think St. Louis is supposed to get an XFL team next year. Not exactly sure what the point is as this proves (as if it hasn't already been proven) that the NFL is the only game in town. Hope the season at least reaches a conclusion.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:29 PM   #79
sooner333
College Starter

I don’t think it means that the NFL is the only game in town. People will attend and watch XFL games on TV like they did the AAF. But it does prove (as the first XFL and AFL proved in the past) that it’s hard to make money in a non NFL setting.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:00 PM   #80
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Won't someone think of poor Manziel?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:06 PM   #81
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Did the investors come into this league thinking it would be a smash hit from day 1 or something?
Old 04-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #82
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

hilarious
Old 04-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #83
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Did the investors come into this league thinking it would be a smash hit from day 1 or something?

yes, probably.
Old 04-02-2019, 04:21 PM   #84
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I am slightly confused. I thought I read that the attendance and TV Ratings, while not spectacular compared to what we see in the usual sports, were higher then what they projected to be sustainable. Was their projection for what was needed just that far off versus what they really needed?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:35 PM   #85
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I am slightly confused. I thought I read that the attendance and TV Ratings, while not spectacular compared to what we see in the usual sports, were higher then what they projected to be sustainable. Was their projection for what was needed just that far off versus what they really needed?

Everything I've read this afternoon seems to keep coming back to "the need for an agreement between the AAF and the NFLPA" about the use of practice squad players.

Which makes me wonder: maybe the (majority) owner realized that the product isn't worth dropping another $180m into with the current 'talent' level? (reports are saying that his $250m cash commitment in Feb only had $70m up front)
Old 04-02-2019, 07:34 PM   #86
molson
General Manager

There's speculation that the benefactor that came on late only really wanted the gambling app that the AAF developed. Once he acquired that the league was just a nuisance.

Last edited by molson : 04-02-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #87
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
There's speculation that the benefactor that came on late only really wanted the gambling app that the AAF developed. Once he acquired that the league was just a nuisance.

Well they did describe themselves as a technology company that happened to have a football league."We're a technology company first," Ebersol said.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:13 PM   #88
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ebersol came across like a know it all dick in every interview I saw. Glad he failed.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:13 AM   #89
RendeR
Coordinator

The owner of the hurricanes bought into the league to take it over and shut it down. He has his own agenda. 1 man ended this league. period.

The one thing I think that can be taken from the leagues results is that san antonio, san diego and birminghan and orlando can all support teams. The NFL should take notice.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:06 PM   #90
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Ebersol came across like a know it all dick in every interview I saw. Glad he failed.
I'm not even sure he's the most delusional of the founding partners. Bill Polian is just as bad.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:12 PM   #91
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Still waiting for Dundon to address the crowd at a Hurricanes game and *suddenly* "is that Vince's music?!"
Old 04-03-2019, 03:12 PM   #92
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well they did describe themselves as a technology company that happened to have a football league."We're a technology company first," Ebersol said.

Sounds like Uber/Lyft.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:16 PM   #93
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
san diego

Wow, who'd have guessed??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
The owner of the hurricanes bought into the league to take it over and shut it down. He has his own agenda. 1 man ended this league. period.

Maybe he'll run for president in 30 years...
Old 04-04-2019, 10:53 AM   #94
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Given that the NFL has a rookie scale. And the XFL isnt going to limit itself to 3 years removed from HS, I wonder if we will see some prime guys opt for the XFL. Vince could easily make a rule like MLS for several cap exempt players per team.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #95
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pretty good post mortem up on ESPN.