Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-31-2022, 10:21 PM   #1
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

2023 Video Games Thread

There should be some good games coming out this year.

Personally I'm looking forward to the new Zelda game and the translations of past "Trails" games.

Plus maybe we'll get Star Citizen*

*who are we kidding we're f***** on this one.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 01-01-2023 at 07:31 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:21 PM   #2
Edward64
Head Coach

Can't get here soon enough include "Baldur's Gate 3" and "Starfield"

Next tier includes "The Last of Us"

Honorable mention for "Hogwarts Legacy" (and "Star Citizen")

Link for 2023 releases

https://www.thegamer.com/video-game-release-dates-2023/
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:23 PM   #3
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I'm beyond ready for BG3. That is going to be a fantastic game. Hogwarts Legacy will be a game I'm excited about but probably will totally suck playing.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 01:44 AM   #4
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I will be very surprised if BG3 doesn't end up being a disappointment to most people. Anytime a franchise with that long of a tail gets a new entry, even if it's designed and implemented absolutely perfectly - which of course won't happen - it is basically guaranteed to upset a significant part of the fanbase which wanted it to emphasize different elements of the series than whatever vision ends up coming out.

I'm both anticipating and dreading (due to the continuation of the retcon-heavy elements of the story) Homeworld 3.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 01-01-2023 at 01:45 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 06:52 AM   #5
Edward64
Head Coach

I've been following the forums, early access etc. and all indications are that BG3 will live up to expectations.

Yeah, there'll be bugs, some folks are questioning about what races will be released initially, stuff like that. But it does look like Larian is genuinely doing a good job with early access, testing, and not rushing a release.

I'm embarrassed to say I've never played Homeworld. I know there's a remastered edition that is pretty cheap right now. I'm a sci-fi, Battle Star Galactica fan, so it should interest me but I generally don't like RTS.
Old 01-01-2023, 07:53 AM   #6
GrantDawg

Yeah, BG3 is already a good game with only one act out and still some polishing to do before release. I mean, it was solid in early release when I played it for a couple of weeks in 2020. I've tried not to diddle with it since, but have created characters and played the beginning every time they have brought in a class except this latest one. I just don't want to burn out on it before it ever hits full release.
Old 01-01-2023, 08:24 AM   #7
BYU 14
Coordinator

Urban Strife (which has a demo out now) is one I am looking forward to a lot. Jagged Alliance with zombies and it should scratch that itch while I wait for JA-3
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 08:41 AM   #8
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Urban Strife (which has a demo out now) is one I am looking forward to a lot. Jagged Alliance with zombies and it should scratch that itch while I wait for JA-3

Thanks for this, added to my wishlist. It was not on my radar but sounds like something I'd enjoy. The zombies in XCom WOTC are fun but not that big of a deal.

Also, found out that Microprose is still around!
Old 01-01-2023, 09:09 AM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

Hopefully this game will be what I wanted “Dead State” to be all those years ago.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 09:46 AM   #10
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I picked up Midnight Suns yesterday and played the heck out of it all day. Probably going to do the same today. Super fun game, and with a couple of tweaks to settings it plays like a dream on my Steam Deck.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 01:00 PM   #11
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I picked up Midnight Suns yesterday and played the heck out of it all day. Probably going to do the same today. Super fun game, and with a couple of tweaks to settings it plays like a dream on my Steam Deck.

Thanks, your comment made me look at it on Steam and … surprise, there’s a sale!
Old 01-11-2023, 06:03 PM   #12
Edward64
Head Coach

Below made me look. Hogwarts on sale now for $60 on Steam

Quote:
"Hogwarts Legacy," the upcoming video game set in the world of Harry Potter from Warner Bros. Games, is already showing signs that it could be a hit — even amid controversy over Potter creator J.K. Rowling and some calls to boycott the game.

The game was the top-selling title on game distribution platform Steam on Monday and Tuesday, ahead of other games like "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II" and "Destiny 2" — even though it doesn't release for another month, on February 10.
Old 01-12-2023, 11:38 AM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

I'll have to check and see what the price is on the PlayStation store then. More comfortable for me to play that on console

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 12:04 PM   #14
GrantDawg

I'm still hesitant that the PC game might not be a complete version of the console game.
Old 01-12-2023, 01:01 PM   #15
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I'm still hesitant that the PC game might not be a complete version of the console game.

What makes you think that?
Old 01-12-2023, 01:07 PM   #16
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
What makes you think that?

There's a PS5 exclusive quest line and some exclusive cosmetic stuff.

Exclusive quests are usually filler content and nor very good. With that said it's annoying to see.

The recent game play stuff that's been released has me at least interested in this but its going to be a wait for reviews before I pull the trigger.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:55 PM   #17
Thomkal
Head Coach

There have been pre-order discounts just about everywhere for Hogwart's Legacy, so you just need to shop around a bit to find the best one
Old 01-12-2023, 04:34 PM   #18
GrantDawg

The reason I am afraid of that is several games, especially sports games, are ported to the PC from last generation console versions and have several feature not included. I would think it wouldn't be the case with this, but until I have hard confirmation and I am holding off. I much rather have it on PC because I can just imagine what modders will be able to do to it over time.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2023, 05:36 PM   #19
GrantDawg

I will say it is a good sign that the PC version isn't being delayed like the last gen versions. I hope that means that it is the same as current gen.

Old 01-12-2023, 06:08 PM   #20
Edward64
Head Coach

I didn't think about Steam Hogwarts being ported. Have to believe they put more emphasis on testing & debugging on the consoles so wouldn't surprise me if the PC is more buggy at release (so many different GPUs, drivers etc.).

I really do hope its a success (I can get my wife to play it instead of her iPad Bejeweled, farming type games). And I do hope its pretty open world with a bunch of stuff to do.

It needs to be successful on the PC. That's where the mods will be.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:20 PM   #21
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

The recommended specs on PC are out of the norm high for Hogwarts which should atleast put some fears to rest. They suggest atleast a 1080ti or equivalent.

To compare to some other recent games (Next Gen only games) you can look at GPU requirements for Gotham Knights requires a 2070 for recommended (30% worse on benchmarks than a 1080ti which was a flagship GPU)and Marvel Midnight Sons just a 1070.

There really shouldn’t be a question that it’s a next gen game based on these requirements. But I guess you don’t really know until it is released.

Last edited by dubb93 : 01-17-2023 at 12:28 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:35 PM   #22
GrantDawg

Yeah, that some good indicators.

Old 01-18-2023, 07:13 PM   #23
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Great looking potential game out next week callled Forspoken.

On pre sale for 70 bucks and I had to laugh. Not at the price, but at the recommended sys req to get 30 fps..

Then I checked on my video card PC specs. Its from 2014

"Yeah, I play old sports and sport simulator accessories" - Hank Hill
Old 01-21-2023, 12:00 AM   #24
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
Great looking potential game out next week callled Forspoken.

On pre sale for 70 bucks and I had to laugh. Not at the price, but at the recommended sys req to get 30 fps..

Then I checked on my video card PC specs. Its from 2014

"Yeah, I play old sports and sport simulator accessories" - Hank Hill

No review copies being sent out before release is a massive red flag.

EDIT: A correction, it seems like some review copies are going out but Square is being very selective about who is getting them. Recommended specs of as 3070 and 24gb of RAM screams poorly optimized.

Last edited by Atocep : 01-21-2023 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-21-2023, 02:49 PM   #25
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
No review copies being sent out before release is a massive red flag.

EDIT: A correction, it seems like some review copies are going out but Square is being very selective about who is getting them. Recommended specs of as 3070 and 24gb of RAM screams poorly optimized.

It’s so bizarre that it’s almost like someone made the list of component requirements that doesn’t understand the components at all. 4K 60 FPS you need at minimum a 4080 or a 6800 XT. Only problem with these are they are no where close to comparable. And 24gb RAM 🤣.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:10 AM   #26
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Reviews for Forspoken starting to trickle in.

Quote:
But the cracks start to show pretty quickly as it begins to feel like the game was rushed out well ahead of readiness.

To begin with, it doesn’t run well. The quality-focused graphics settings are pretty much unplayable, and even on the “performance” setting, which lowers the resolution and detail considerably, you get slowdowns.

Quote:
The whole thing has the feeling of an alpha or tech demo, basically, or a launch game rushed out to show off certain qualities of the PS5

The IGN reviewer beat the game in 15 hours....which is shockingly short for a AAA RPG.

Last edited by dubb93 : 01-23-2023 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:12 AM   #27
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

From what I've read so far the verdict is wait a year and get it on sale assuming they patch it up and fix it first.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:32 AM   #28
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I love the game Banished. It is a beautifully soothing game to play. I pulled up an old campaign and just let it run on 10X speed overnight. The village did surprisingly well maintaining itself.

For fun I decided to cut down all the trees around the village. Everyone died within a year.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:37 AM   #29
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Reviews for Forspoken starting to trickle in.

It's funny they mention tech demo because this was a PS5 tech demo that was so well received they decided to cash in and try to make it a full game.
Old 01-23-2023, 12:09 PM   #30
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

On Banished, have you tried the North mod?
Old 01-23-2023, 01:43 PM   #31
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I love the game Banished. It is a beautifully soothing game to play. I pulled up an old campaign and just let it run on 10X speed overnight. The village did surprisingly well maintaining itself.

For fun I decided to cut down all the trees around the village. Everyone died within a year.

I would say that wasn't very fun for the villagers
Old 01-24-2023, 10:41 AM   #32
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
On Banished, have you tried the North mod?

I have not. I'm not really good with that sort of thing. Is it easy to download or whatever you need to do?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 12:48 PM   #33
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I have not. I'm not really good with that sort of thing. Is it easy to download or whatever you need to do?
If you have the game on Steam, you just hit "subscribe" from the workshop. If you don't like it, unscribe and it is gone.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:16 PM   #34
Edward64
Head Coach

I’ve been wrong before but it does seem there should be more hype as it’s a 1H release. I would not be surprised if it gets pushed but let’s hope not

Quote:
Starfield and Redfall Development in ‘Rough Shape’ According to Hi-Fi Rush Leaker
Old 01-26-2023, 11:38 PM   #35
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Pardon my ignorance, but what is '1H'?
Old 01-27-2023, 12:15 AM   #36
Edward64
Head Coach

First half
Old 01-28-2023, 08:30 AM   #37
GrantDawg

Quote:
If you have the game on Steam, you just hit "subscribe" from the workshop. If you don't like it, unscribe and it is gone.
Actually, don't do that. The version on Steam is bugged, and you have to download it from the creators site. Very fustrating, because the mention here gave me the itch to try it. Started two games, and no matter what I try the villagers won't build anything. Then I discovered others reporting the same thing. Grrrr..
Old 01-30-2023, 01:48 PM   #38
bob
College Starter

Can anyone recommend a good iphone game that might keep me occupied during airport / flight time?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:24 PM   #39
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Have you looked at the Kairosoft "X Story" games? Like Grandprix Story, etcetera.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:54 PM   #40
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Can anyone recommend a good iphone game that might keep me occupied during airport / flight time?

Marvel Snap, Diablo Immortal
Old 01-30-2023, 05:06 PM   #41
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I think FM Mobile is available for iphone.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 05:47 PM   #42
Flasch186
Coordinator

Snap is great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:53 PM   #43
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

80 days, Rival Stars College football, and then there is retro bowl. It is my personal all time favorite mobile game.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:15 PM   #44
bob
College Starter

Thanks for the recommendations. I forgot all about 80 Days. Had on my PC but iPhone seems like a better platform for it.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:45 PM   #45
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogwarts Legacy reviews drop tomorrow. Hope they are great or ‘almost there’.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:37 AM   #46
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Hogwarts Legacy reviews drop tomorrow. Hope they are great or ‘almost there’.

One of the guys I follow on Twitter posted all the review score he could find:

Hogwarts Legacy - Official Review Scores:

PSU - 10 IGN - 9 XboxEra - 9 PowerUp - 9 Well Played - 9 Gamerant - 4.5/5 Pushsquare - 8 VGC - 4/5 ACG -

Buy Metacritic - 86 https://metacritic.com/game/playstation-5/hogwarts-legacy Opencritic - 85

Opencritic - 85 https://opencritic.com/game/13898/hog

I have to say I'm surprised that they are all so good given the hatred of many people towards Rowling on trans and other issues. The Yogscast has some trans members and I think some or all of them will not be playing it and wish people don't.

Last edited by Thomkal : 02-06-2023 at 06:38 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:46 AM   #47
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
One of the guys I follow on Twitter posted all the review score he could find:

Hogwarts Legacy - Official Review Scores:

PSU - 10 IGN - 9 XboxEra - 9 PowerUp - 9 Well Played - 9 Gamerant - 4.5/5 Pushsquare - 8 VGC - 4/5 ACG -

Buy Metacritic - 86 https://metacritic.com/game/playstation-5/hogwarts-legacy Opencritic - 85

Opencritic - 85 https://opencritic.com/game/13898/hog

I have to say I'm surprised that they are all so good given the hatred of many people towards Rowling on trans and other issues. The Yogscast has some trans members and I think some or all of them will not be playing it and wish people don't.
Maybe a negative troll attack will come, but it seems like a lot more a right-wing thing. They can rally a bunch of other trolls to post reviews that say "woke" as many times as they can. Trans supporters are more "just don't buy" rallying cry. I suspect it will hurt the sales, but just marginally. It is just too big an IP, and there are many people that love HP that don't follow all the social media.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:00 AM   #48
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Maybe a negative troll attack will come, but it seems like a lot more a right-wing thing. They can rally a bunch of other trolls to post reviews that say "woke" as many times as they can. Trans supporters are more "just don't buy" rallying cry. I suspect it will hurt the sales, but just marginally. It is just too big an IP, and there are many people that love HP that don't follow all the social media.

For me, being gay, it did give me pause about whether I wanted to support the game. What I've read about Rowling's presence in the game is that she is not involved with it other than making money off the sales. I like that the game does not include any of the modern-day HP characters (I think-still working my way through the books). So its in its own way, a new game and world. I would love to see some trans/gay/lesbian characters in the game, but we shall see.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:04 AM   #49
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
For me, being gay, it did give me pause about whether I wanted to support the game. What I've read about Rowling's presence in the game is that she is not involved with it other than making money off the sales. I like that the game does not include any of the modern-day HP characters (I think-still working my way through the books). So its in its own way, a new game and world. I would love to see some trans/gay/lesbian characters in the game, but we shall see.
I'm an ally, but the way I feel is I'm not going to let that evil harpy take something a way from me that I love.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:22 PM   #50
GrantDawg

It looks like Early Access opens tomorrow morning. I have to work, but I will be firing it up once I get home.