Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
markprior22
High School Varsity

Health insurance for college students

My son in law is in a predicament. He is a full time student and holds down 2 part time jobs but does not have any health insurance. I still carry my daughter on my insurance but that is not an option for him with his parents. He is healthy overall but there are times when he should see a doctor (I'm pretty sure he needs antibiotics right now). The university doesn't offer healthcare and they don't have a student clinic. My only idea is for some type of state sponsored insurance assistance. Would this be the best way to go? Where would a person go to find out about that?...Health Dept, maybe. Appreciate the advice.

markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Is he under 26?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
markprior22
High School Varsity

Yes, 23
Old 04-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
britrock88
Pro Starter

Yeah, he would be covered by his parents' plans (if applicable) until the age of 26. Absent that, though, would his college not have an available insurance plan for students? That's a fairly common offering or requirement in higher ed.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
. Absent that, though, would his college not have an available insurance plan for students? That's a fairly common offering or requirement in higher ed.

Depends. This article from last year kinda explains why (relates to Obama-care changes) and talks about how schools are moving away from being involved in the health insurance biz.

Big Changes in College Health Plans - WSJ.com

edit to add: This very subject came up in another thread -- maybe the catch-all political Obama thread? -- last week incidentally.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-10-2013 at 12:14 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well if he's in a state school that shouldn't overly affect him much (due to federalism concerns the states are generally exempt from the provisions of ERISA, and accordingly, the PPACA).
Old 04-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Having wrestled with the insurance question myself recently, it sounds to me like what he needs is just a good primary doctor who works with the uninsured, and/or a community clinic, rather than insurance. If he's 23 and in relatively good health, but just perhaps needs to see the doctor 2-3 times per year, consider that basic insurance is going to hit you with a deductible, co-pay, and co-insurance on top of monthly dues, and could end up costing him an order of magnitude more than just going to the right doctor and paying cash for the visit, depending on how basic the service he's looking for.

For example, in my case I was able to find a great doc who charges me a flat rate of $40/half hour visit, and that's way less than most insurances would ask you to pay out of pocket, let alone with monthly dues. Lots of places have urgent care clinics popping out of the woodworks these days, that will provide you with on-demand doctor care at reasonable prices, for stuff that aren't quite emergencies....but 'reasonable' is about as good as the prices get, and I wouldn't depend on them for consistent, primary care.

If you're looking for state sponsored insurance, or community clinics, the state's health department and/or department of human resources is probably the best place to start, so you're probably on the right track, either way.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-10-2013 at 01:22 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Having wrestled with the insurance question myself recently, it sounds to me like what he needs is just a good primary doctor who works with the uninsured, and/or a community clinic, rather than insurance.

Except that most colleges now apparently require proof on health insurance before you're allowed to enroll.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

But he's already in.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

When I was a veteran and entering college, I did the school insurance for a year. But it was expensive and fairly useless. The following year, I got a high deductible plan from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois that was pretty affordable (I wasn't making big money in college) and while I never needed to use it, it was pretty good for it if I needed to.

I'd suggest looking into something like it, as it's surprising what's out there especially for being young, male, non-smoking and healthy.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Except that most colleges now apparently require proof on health insurance before you're allowed to enroll.

Well, that's no fun. Sigh. Some hundred days late, and a few hundred dollars short: this whole concept of mandated insurance really bums me out. It seems particularly ironic that through constant media bombardment insurance industry (of all types) has somehow made itself synonymous with "saving money". Pay no attention to the corporation(s) behind the curtain, citizen! Have you remembered to insure your pet for depression?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-10-2013 at 02:20 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
But he's already in.

Well f. me, that part flew right over my head.

And I haven't seen anything one way or the other about whether (like with cars) they require proof of continued insurance once you're in.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
Izulde
Head Coach

Is it okay if we ask what school he goes to?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #14
markprior22
High School Varsity

He goes to a very small school...Lincoln Christian University