Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Judo Coach beats his trainees with swords, keeps his job

Judo federation apologizes for abuse - The Japan Times

Now, I know that Japan thinks that unless you're taking athletes to and past the point of breakdown is normal, and expected, but there has to be a limit, doesn't there?

In this case, the judoka involved complained that the coach swore at them, slapped them, and hit them with bamboo swords, and some were forced to compete in matches even though they were injured.

They took their complaints to the Judo federation, who gave the coach.. a severe reprimand and told him to write an apology.

The judoka then complained to the Japanese Olympic Federation (Several of the judoka competed and won medals in the recent 2012 London Olympics), and the JOF told them.. to talk to the Judo Federation.

And do you think the coach is sorry? "Until now I have been doing things the way I saw fit, but I will mend the things that need fixing.”

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:09 AM   #2
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Judo federation apologizes for abuse - The Japan Times

Now, I know that Japan thinks that unless you're taking athletes to and past the point of breakdown is normal, and expected, but there has to be a limit, doesn't there?

In this case, the judoka involved complained that the coach swore at them, slapped them, and hit them with bamboo swords, and some were forced to compete in matches even though they were injured.

They took their complaints to the Judo federation, who gave the coach.. a severe reprimand and told him to write an apology.

The judoka then complained to the Japanese Olympic Federation (Several of the judoka competed and won medals in the recent 2012 London Olympics), and the JOF told them.. to talk to the Judo Federation.

And do you think the coach is sorry? "Until now I have been doing things the way I saw fit, but I will mend the things that need fixing.”

It's nice to see Tim Pernetti landed on his feet so quickly.

Last edited by Atocep : 04-12-2013 at 02:11 AM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:58 AM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
and the JOF told them.. to talk to the Judo Federation.

This is a sorta generic question but isn't that kind of normal? I mean, isn't there some sort of general rule of thumb (rule? policy? tradition?) that various national bodies for Olympic sports are supposed to basically defer to the governing body of the specific sport when it comes to, well, just about everything?

There's nothing specific I can point to as support for that, but it's the impression I've gotten over the years for whatever reason.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
RendeR
Coordinator

You also have to understand that to be publicly humiliated is, for the Japanese far worse than losing their job. If they'd have fired him it would have been easier on him in the long run. To be forced to write out an apology, to be publicly reprimanded is a loss of his personal honor and reputation. Many Japanese would have jumped off a roof because of this and have, in the past.

While we look at that and think its stupid or not nearly enough punishment, He on the other hand will actually change for the better and probably be a far better coach for the rest of his life.

Its a difference of culture, nothing more.

Last edited by RendeR : 04-12-2013 at 07:51 AM.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
You also have to understand that to be publicly humiliated is, for the Japanese far worse than losing their job. If they'd have fired him it would have been easier on him in the long run. To be forced to write out an apology, to be publicly reprimanded is a loss of his personal honor and reputation. Many Japanese would have jumped off a roof because of this and have, in the past.

While we look at that and think its stupid or not nearly enough punishment, He on the other hand will actually change for the better and probably be a far better coach for the rest of his life.

Its a difference of culture, nothing more.

Even more than Mike Rice seeking counseling?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Title is a wee bit misleading.