Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-15-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

Chasing the Collegiate Athletics Dream (An RL Dynasty)

The last time I played competitive soccer, I was 15 years old and the top reserve midfielder/defense on my high school team.

The last time I set foot on a soccer field, I was 23 years old, coaching the U-14G Mares team to an upset win over the then-undefeated U14G Porpoises.

And here I am, 27 years old, getting prepared to try out for the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse's club soccer team. I'm competing against 18 and 19 year olds who are likely fresh off of high school careers.

No, my story, even if I succeed, won't be as great as Clay's. After all, this isn't a varsity squad and I'm younger than he was.

But I've always wanted to be able to compete in college athletics in a sport I've loved since childhood.

This is my chance.

I'm starting behind the eight-ball because of my age, my probable rust (though I've been training as much as I can this summer), and possibly even missing the first day of tryouts, for I can't get to UW-L until Sunday afternoon because of having to work Saturday night and I was originally told the tryouts were September 20th-27th, only to be told five minutes ago via email that it's in fact August, not September.

So I've got a long, challenging road ahead of me.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:13 PM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

Just went and bought soccer shoes, shinguards, and socks from one of the local mom and pop stores. Got a 15% discount because we're from Racine, which I thought was nice.

Shoes sure have come a long way since I was a kid and in my heydey of playing. Back then you didn't have the flaps to conceal the excess laces like you do now and the cleats look completely different, too. More streamlined.

Shin guards and socks haven't changed much.

Wound up with black Kelme Duende Amancio shoes and yellow and blue Kelme shin guards that have some cushioning and aren't that cheap-assed hard plastic crap. For socks, green for my fraternity and Reebok by brand for a little higher quality.

I still haven't heard back on what exact time and place practice is, so I may just need to call and find out when and where precisely it is Sunday.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
Izulde
Head Coach

Hooray! I finally got word back and there's an informal meeting Sunday night that kicks things off at 7 pm, followed by the official beginning of the physical part of tryouts Monday morning at 9 am.

This makes things a lot easier to work around my schedule and ensures that I'm not going to be dead the first day after driving for a ton of hours to get there.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:44 AM   #4
Icy
Pro Starter

Nice! i love these real life stories.

Btw, are you going to attend to the college or only want to play in their soccer team? (i guess it's not possible, you need to be enroled at the school to play with them)

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:40 AM   #5
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Nice! i love these real life stories.

Btw, are you going to attend to the college or only want to play in their soccer team? (i guess it's not possible, you need to be enroled at the school to play with them)

Attending. I didn't transfer there until spring semester, so I wasn't able to try out last year.

I like these real life stories, too.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm in major trouble.

There's 30-35 guys trying out and 20-21 will make the team. Not only does this mean my odds are cut way down from what I thought they'd be, it appears I've stepped into an even more competitive situation than I'd anticipated.

See, this may be a club team, but this is also a damn good club team. Last year they won their conference and advanced to the regional championships and if I heard correctly, they also beat UW-Milwaukee, a D-1 varsity squad.

On the bright side from a numbers standpoint, 5 or 6 people are goalies. Also, the sign-up sheet I looked through had a preponderance of forwards and combo forwards/midfielders. Only two pure defenders and I think I was the first combo midfield/defense to put my name down.

Granted, I much prefer midfield to defense, but if playing the backline will be what gets me on the team, I'm all for it.

My most realistic chance is to be one of the bottom-tier guys in all honesty. It's been too long since I've played competitive soccer on any regular basis to hope for a top slot, especially on a team that's this damn good.

I have to be to the team captain's house at 8:30 am tomorrow morning for a ride to tryouts, which runs 9-11 every day this week, plus a 5 or 6 pm run for 45 minutes three or four times. I'm going to get killed on those night runs. While I'm relatively quick on the field, I don't have any sort of speed when I'm running and not all that much endurance either.

Still, miracles have been known to happen and maybe it will in this case.

Oh, one other neat tidbit. The coach is the former head coach for the U-14 Canadian National Team.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:23 PM   #7
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

What kind of fitness are you in? What's your 1-mile, 2-mile, 5k times?
Old 08-21-2006, 04:01 AM   #8
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
What kind of fitness are you in? What's your 1-mile, 2-mile, 5k times?

I'm not as fit as I was in high school, but I'm more fit now than I've been in a few years if that helps any.

As for my times, I have no idea. I just remember last year whenever I went running with a group, I was always far, far behind everyone else.

Seeing as I just woke up, I got the 8 hours sleep in I needed, but it was a pretty poor sleep.

But I'm going to give it my best shot, so that even in the event that I do get cut, I can tell myself that I tried my best and left it all out there.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:20 AM   #9
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
I'm not as fit as I was in high school, but I'm more fit now than I've been in a few years if that helps any.

As for my times, I have no idea. I just remember last year whenever I went running with a group, I was always far, far behind everyone else.

Seeing as I just woke up, I got the 8 hours sleep in I needed, but it was a pretty poor sleep.

But I'm going to give it my best shot, so that even in the event that I do get cut, I can tell myself that I tried my best and left it all out there.

That's a great attitude. Knowing the level of Division III NCAA soccer, my guess is that you might be a bit overwhelmed when you step onto the pitch. But try to hang in there and maybe good things will happen.

Good luck to you!
Old 08-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #10
Izulde
Head Coach

A bit overwhelmed wasn't the word for it.

My ass kicked was more like it.

These guys are younger, more fit, a heck of a lot faster, and a lot more agile than I am. They completely neutralized the physical style of play that's my strength.

Out of the scrimmages we had, my team allowed 6 goals. 4 of them were a result of my getting beat, no matter what adjustments I made to try and counteract their superior athleticism and ball skills.

So my chances went from miniscule to none this morning.

Talentwise, I'd say the team is probably Division II NCAA soccer, which makes sense, given how athletic a campus this is. They need work on strategy though, since they're in a tougher conference this year, but I think the new coach will help them with that.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:27 PM   #11
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
A bit overwhelmed wasn't the word for it.

My ass kicked was more like it.

These guys are younger, more fit, a heck of a lot faster, and a lot more agile than I am. They completely neutralized the physical style of play that's my strength.

Out of the scrimmages we had, my team allowed 6 goals. 4 of them were a result of my getting beat, no matter what adjustments I made to try and counteract their superior athleticism and ball skills.

So my chances went from miniscule to none this morning.

Talentwise, I'd say the team is probably Division II NCAA soccer, which makes sense, given how athletic a campus this is. They need work on strategy though, since they're in a tougher conference this year, but I think the new coach will help them with that.

I hope you'll stick it out for the rest of tryouts (unless they told you don't come back)... you'd be surprised just how much you gain from playing in competitive situations against very good players, even if only for a few days.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:46 PM   #12
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Have you thought about getting involved as a "Hydration Coordinator"?
Old 08-21-2006, 05:55 PM   #13
DeToxRox
Head Coach

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:38 PM   #14
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle

Fanfuckintastic. Unfortunately, I don't think a ton of people will see it.

Seriously, good luck bro. Keep up with it, and even if you don't make the cut, you can take pride that you gave it your best and fought through it. And all that other crap.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote