Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Im looking for the original

Original what?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #553
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I'm guessing the original Munchkin, but that's rather easy to pick up.

I stumbled upon American Rails which only had roughly 300 copies printed and people were giving it rather good reviews even saying it was a Chicago Express killer. The website for it said to preorder for the next printing of it. I tried to do so only for it to say it was sold out. Long story short, the fourth and last printing was done last year. A poster on BGG mentioned he contacted the game maker and got a copy, so I decided to try as well. Looks like he his doing one final printing from the extras he has laying around so it's only going to be 10-20 copies made and he said he would let me know when they are ready in a couple of weeks. Sweet.

Review

Old 06-10-2012, 12:15 AM   #554
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Wife loved ticket to ride, as i expected she would after loving carcassonne...

Munchkin might really be pushing it for me, but i absolutely loved watching it being played, and its probably a 3 person minimum game.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #555
DanGarion
Coordinator

Gotta say after we got over the 45 minutes it took figuring out how to play it, 7 Wonders is a pretty awesome game!
Old 06-10-2012, 02:29 AM   #556
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

So we're 8 games into the 15 game Risk: Legacy Campaign, and it's still a blast. Games are starting to get longer, our last one was about 2 hours. Through 8 games we've got one guy who has won 3 times, two who have won twice, one who has won once and another who still has yet to win (which is almost impressive at this point, because he starts every game with a 25% advantage toward winning over everyone else).

I have to say though, that manufacturing mishaps are really a bummer. A lot of the joy of this game is in the opening of the several packages inside the box that you aren't supposed to open until certain conditions are met. Each adds things to the game, changes the rules or in some other way usually has a huge impact on the game. One of our packages was improperly filled, and we had to open another package to get the proper parts that fit what was supposed to be in that specific package. Rather disappointing that we now know what is in the other package.

Spoiler

If you like Risk at all, I'd highly recommend picking this up. I could easily see myself picking up the game again and going through it a second time with a new group of players. Every time we sit down, for the next two or three days I'm plotting in my head new strategies for the next time we play.

Edit: If the game continues as it seems to be, it looks like we'll end up putting about 20 hours into our campaign. We've had four sessions so far, playing two games per session. The early games were only a half hour or so long, but we've already gotten to an hour and a half easily, with some going two hours long.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 06-10-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:37 AM   #557
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Gotta say after we got over the 45 minutes it took figuring out how to play it, 7 Wonders is a pretty awesome game!

I really enjoy 7 Wonders. I wish I had enough gamer friends to get a full game going...three player games have a weird dynamic because everyone has access to everyone else's resources, which nerfs a lot of the strategy involved.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #558
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I might have to put 7 Wonders on a Christmas list since it would be the only way I would get it. For my church group I'm starting up, I already have larger group games covered, but I know it would be fun to have a full seven player game going. I'm sure it's a small hope, but I was kind of hoping somebody else would have it.

If you are wondering, I got The Resistance, Citadels, and Time's Up: Total Recall for games dealing with a larger amount of players. King of Tokyo and Survive: Escape from Atlantis with 5-6 player expansion as well so those cover up to 6.

Today is the kick off for the church gamer's group. Facebook group for it is up to 16 and this is the slowest period of the year for the church since attendance goes down so much with colleges being out. Mentioning of it in announcements has only happened once so far and then it will get mentioned again today. There's always those additional people who don't deal with Facebook either that show up. I'm already planning out themed meetings for things like Halloween. I got a steal of a deal on a copy of Mansions of Madness. I can get to the church early so I get past the massive setup time.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #559
Warhammer
Pro Starter

7 Wonders is great the first 5-10 times you play it, not so much afterwards.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #560
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post

This is what I have been hearing. I think with my group not being static it would get more life, but still. I'm doing a rotation of games so it might be a good one to do once in a while.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #561
mckerney
Coordinator

For future plays of 7 Wonders you can determine a winner by coin flip between the two people sitting next to the least experienced player.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #562
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Taking:

Hey, That's My Fish
No Thanks!
The Resistance
King of Tokyo
Ticket to Ride: Europe
Survive: Escape from Atlantis w/5-6 player expansion.

I know there will be at least Pandemic there as well. I would rather have too many games so people have a selection. I've currently got six other games to rotate in over time as well: Citadels, Lords of Waterdeep, Takenoko, Small World, Time's Up: Total Recall, and Dominion. I figure that's a rather solid starting point. Anything else tends to push the limits of depth and playtime for a wide range of people playing, but that's why I'll host smaller get togethers in between the once a month meetings.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #563
bob
College Starter

General question for those out there - have limited bucks, but would like to get a version of Ticket to Ride. Unlikely to ever be able to pick up an expansion. What version would you recommend?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #564
Danny
Head Coach

How many people do you plan to play with? Are they gamers or non gamers?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #565
Danny
Head Coach

And do the pe
Old 06-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #566
Danny
Head Coach

And do the people who will play like any confrontation or would prefer to play a more friendly games where they can kind of play their own game and not get blocked?
Old 06-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #567
bob
College Starter

We play a lot of lost cities, pandemic, fluxx and games like that. We've played the original one and enjoyed but wanted to make sure that was the best one to get. Usually 2-4 players, and blocking each other is fun to us.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #568
Danny
Head Coach

Especially since you already know you enjoy it, probably stick with US then. Europe would be ok too, though I like US better overall. I do recommend the inexpensive 1910 expansion for the larger cards and extra tickets.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #569
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
We play a lot of lost cities, pandemic, fluxx and games like that. We've played the original one and enjoyed but wanted to make sure that was the best one to get. Usually 2-4 players, and blocking each other is fun to us.

Nordic Countries plays 2-3 and it's the most cut throat of the series. You can use the 1912 expansion to play up to 5.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #570
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Especially since you already know you enjoy it, probably stick with US then. Europe would be ok too, though I like US better overall. I do recommend the inexpensive 1910 expansion for the larger cards and extra tickets.

I'll give a double +1 for this option. US followed by the 1910 expansion.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #571
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
For future plays of 7 Wonders you can determine a winner by coin flip between the two people sitting next to the least experienced player.

I certainly know folks who have formed these opinions, or similar, after a requisite number of plays. One of these guys will simply not play when it is broken out. Other very experienced gamers I know will play any time it is available. I'm much closer to this second group. I really enjoy the game, and do not find it getting stale or suffering too much from the king maker syndrome that mckerney mentions. Puerto Rico is much more prone to that scenario, and I'll never pass up an opportunity to play that one.

So while I certainly respect this opinion of 7 Wonders, know that there are a lot of folks who enjoy repeated plays.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #572
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

I know it's not the "board game" but if you have a Xbox 360 and the controllers Ticket To Ride is great on it. The wife and I usually play that way because you don't have to set up and put away the board then... And it is less expensive.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #573
Groundhog
Coordinator

I just dropped $100 on the Sedition Wars kickstarter. Looks interesting, developed by Mike McVey:

Sedition Wars: Battle for Alabaster by CoolMiniOrNot — Kickstarter
Old 06-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #574
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I know it's not the "board game" but if you have a Xbox 360 and the controllers Ticket To Ride is great on it. The wife and I usually play that way because you don't have to set up and put away the board then... And it is less expensive.

That would greatly improve the efficiency with which my wife would kick my butt.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #575
tarcone
Coordinator

I have 3 games on my wish. I picked up reffing basketball this Summer. That will feed my board game collection.
On my wish list:
King of Tokyo- What a fun little game. Should be great for my family. I am going to start a board game club at school next year. This will be in the rotation.

Dominion- Heard tons of great reviews. Should work for my family. Also, in the rotation for the club.

Fortress America- I love this game. Played it when I was in college. Will introduce to my friends that play games.

There are others, such as a Victory Points game for solo play. I have been checking ebay for a copy of Turf Master.

Cant wait to start collecting checks.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #576
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Hey guys, I picked up Pandemic and the expansion to play with my folks and wife over vacation. I'm the biggest gamer of the group and am probably only taking Pandemic (saving the expansion for a later date). Any tips of breaking in a group of new players?

I've read the rules six or seven times already just to be sure that I have them down. Thanks in advance.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #577
tarcone
Coordinator

Play the introductory level. Remember the rules. esp. the special orders and the roles of the people you are.
Its a fun game. A good co-op. My daughters really enjoy it.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #578
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I have 3 games on my wish. I picked up reffing basketball this Summer. That will feed my board game collection.
On my wish list:
King of Tokyo- What a fun little game. Should be great for my family. I am going to start a board game club at school next year. This will be in the rotation.

Dominion- Heard tons of great reviews. Should work for my family. Also, in the rotation for the club.

Fortress America- I love this game. Played it when I was in college. Will introduce to my friends that play games.

There are others, such as a Victory Points game for solo play. I have been checking ebay for a copy of Turf Master.

Cant wait to start collecting checks.

Not sure if you know or not, but there is a new version of Fortress American coming out.

Dominion got played at my gamer group and it did take some players time to adjust to what feels like a rather open format since there is no obvious strategy, but the person who brought the game went straight into a game using the base game with Intrigue and Seaside. Keep it simple with the recommended starter cards, and go from there.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #579
tarcone
Coordinator

Yeah on Fortress America. Its at my local board game shop right now. $51.97.
Dominion and KoT are around $25.
I make $22 a game reffing.
Doing a shootout later this week. $15 a game. Reffing 9 games.

I may have all of these soon.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #580
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Steam Barons - Martin Wallaces Expansion

Um...
Old 06-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #581
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Hey guys, I picked up Pandemic and the expansion to play with my folks and wife over vacation. I'm the biggest gamer of the group and am probably only taking Pandemic (saving the expansion for a later date). Any tips of breaking in a group of new players?

I've read the rules six or seven times already just to be sure that I have them down. Thanks in advance.

Do use the meeples, player pieces, from the expansion. They are just a better size for use on the board. Also grab the petri dishes out of the expansion to store the cubes for each disease. I just thought that was a nice touch, and people enjoy it.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #582
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post

I really love the idea of Pandemic, but I'm starting to get extremely frustrated with it. We've yet to win in 5-6 plays (except for the 1 time we cheated). Even playing at the introduction level we still seem to be getting our asses kicked. We keep getting all the cures but run out of player cards before we are able to eradicate everything.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #583
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Not sure if you know or not, but there is a new version of Fortress American coming out.

Dominion got played at my gamer group and it did take some players time to adjust to what feels like a rather open format since there is no obvious strategy, but the person who brought the game went straight into a game using the base game with Intrigue and Seaside. Keep it simple with the recommended starter cards, and go from there.

Completely agree, stay with the initial set for a first couple plays. Once someone figures out how to game the system with gold farming flip them the bird by changing up the cards.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #584
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I really love the idea of Pandemic, but I'm starting to get extremely frustrated with it. We've yet to win in 5-6 plays (except for the 1 time we cheated). Even playing at the introduction level we still seem to be getting our asses kicked. We keep getting all the cures but run out of player cards before we are able to eradicate everything.

I feel your pain. I love the game and have only played it about 3-4 times, but I have never won it.

"Defenders of The Realm" is essentially Pandemic, but instead of trying to stop different diseases you're trying to stop different fantasy armies - orcs, demons, undead and dragonmen. Instead of CDC people, you're various fantasy heroes - barbarian, paladin, cleric, wizard, assassin, rogue, etc.

It's a pretty fun co-op game as well. We don't seem to win that one all too often either.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #585
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I think going through the cards will be the biggest issue. We won our game, but we did a rather easy version of it. I would prefer the starter one to be rather friendly and let the game ramp up from there.

I really need to get Defenders of the Realm at some point, I think it, Mage Knight, and Summoner Wars are the easiest no brainer pick games for me based on playing D&D, and I have the other two. I'll be wait and see on Descent 2nd edition to see if that gets more friendly in terms of play time. It sounds awesome, but its length limits how much it can get played.

Quote:
Completely agree, stay with the initial set for a first couple plays. Once someone figures out how to game the system with gold farming flip them the bird by changing up the cards.

The guy who owns the games played with some new players and I don't know if he truly picked random cards or not, but there was a Treasure Map and I was like, "Hey, wait a minute."

Last edited by Matthean : 06-13-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #586
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I was going to sympathize, but then I took a closer look at what you wrote.

"We keep getting all the cures"...
That is all you have to do to "win".

You don't have to eradicate everything. Just get the cures. There are folks who debate that taking the actions to eradicate even one disease along the way is a waste of time.

So if I read that correctly, you are winning and don't even know it. You and Charlie Sheen...well I guess he knows it.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #587
Autumn
Head Coach

Yes, my friends were doing that same thing. If you get four cures, game over.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #588
tarcone
Coordinator

Wait, you only have to find the cures and not eradicate them? Well, that makes for a much easier game. We were having the same problem as DG. Kept running out of cards. Getting frustrated.
Cool. Thats good news.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #589
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I was going to sympathize, but then I took a closer look at what you wrote.

"We keep getting all the cures"...
That is all you have to do to "win".

You don't have to eradicate everything. Just get the cures. There are folks who debate that taking the actions to eradicate even one disease along the way is a waste of time.

So if I read that correctly, you are winning and don't even know it. You and Charlie Sheen...well I guess he knows it.

Oh shit. Well color me surprised! I guess we have been winning. Interesting. That doesn't seem so hard then.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #590
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oh shit. Well color me surprised! I guess we have been winning. Interesting. That doesn't seem so hard then.

That's the problem my friends and I ran into with Pandemic. Once you figured out what you were doing, the game is too easy unless you play on the insane difficulty level. At that point (I'm stealing from Jim here) it almost feels like clock solitaire - if you get a good draw you win, if not, you can't win.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #591
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The four cures aspect did trip up some of the other newer players when we did our game was well. Thankfully a number of people there had already played the game and knew it well enough to explain it. I've only played it the one time, but due to the mechanics of the game, I can see where bad things can go to worse when you reshuffle the discard deck and put it back on top of the draw deck. Usually you shuffle them both together to create a new one versus intentionally putting the just played stuff back on top.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #592
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:

Well, you are playing at the introductory level.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #593
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I've had Eclipse preordered for some time. Now that people are getting e-mails about their copies being mailed out Cardhaus, were I preordered mine, suddenly list it as having it by June 30th. The date change had to be more recent since I checked it not long ago, and it was the same as it always had been, June 15th. They had a date that was well behind others for Mage Knight as well, but this is more of a out of the blue kind of change. This was going to be the game I played during our down time between our monthly gamer events and now it's like, "Oh sorry guys. We might have to wait until July."

Last edited by Matthean : 06-14-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #594
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I've had Eclipse preordered for some time. Now that people are getting e-mails about their copies being mailed out Cardhaus, were I preordered mine, suddenly list it as having it by June 30th. The date change had to be more recent since I checked it not long ago, and it was the same as it always had been, June 15th. They had a date that was well behind others for Mage Knight as well, but this is more of a out of the blue kind of change. This was going to be the game I played during our down time between our monthly gamer events and now it's like, "Oh sorry guys. We might have to wait until July."

I think it is crazy that I'm already seeing people talking about the second printing selling out while it was still in "pre-order". That said, you've been notified you won't have yours in hand until the 30th...I think I read that people, at least one guy, received their copies today. The guy on BGG said that one of the characters on the box front was slightly changed.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #595
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Outside the box, the only difference I see, the Blue guy in the bottom right hand corner of the top of the box is now a red clothed dude.

Eclipse is the big new game to get. It's the only game since 2009 that's in BGG's top ten although Mage Knight will likely change that. Mage Knight was considered sold out in 8 days for it's 2nd printing. Lords of Waterdeep is the most likely picked game for best so far this year and it's at #49.

Note, selling out doesn't mean you can't find it in stores. You can. It's just once those copies are gone, they're gone.

The delay is made more annoying when Amazon shipped something to me today a day ahead of schedule and it was two day shipping to start.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #596
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Indepth(37 minute) review of Tammany Hall

Tammany Hall has about 12 hours left on it's Kickstarter. It's at 400% funding and has beat all of it's stretch goals.

Tammany Hall by Pandasaurus Games — Kickstarter
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #597
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

My only issue is how often would it get played.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #598
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I really shouldn't watch Jeremy's videos for games that are so close to being shipped to me. Some people who ordered Eclipse from Cardhuas are now getting e-mails about it. I still haven't gotten one. I did e-mail them about it.

EDIT: And I just got my confirmation e-mail.

Tabletop plays Castle Panic

Last edited by Matthean : 06-15-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #599
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Eclipse is the big new game to get. It's the only game since 2009 that's in BGG's top ten although Mage Knight will likely change that. Mage Knight was considered sold out in 8 days for it's 2nd printing. Lords of Waterdeep is the most likely picked game for best so far this year and it's at #49.

I grabbed my copy back in December. I wanted it for Christmas...I told my wife to check with the FLGS, and if they didn't hand her a physical copy to go straight to Amazon. The FLGS assured her that they would have a copy from their next order. She came clean while driving to my Mother's house on Christmas day. I ended up ordering it from Amazon on the iPad right then. I don't think I physically saw a real copy available after that that wasn't asking $170.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #600
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Tammany Hall has about 12 hours left on it's Kickstarter. It's at 400% funding and has beat all of it's stretch goals.

Tammany Hall by Pandasaurus Games — Kickstarter

I went ahead and backed Tammany Hall, looks interesting. Thanks for posting it! Right after I bought it a friend that follows me on KS bought it as well.