Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #351
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I debated between random thought thread and pet peeve thread on this (and additionally, making a companion to the 'Thread that makes English teachers weep!' called 'Thread that makes math teachers weep!')...and settled here.

Our local grocery store runs a program I imagine is similar to those around the country. Every $50 spent in the store earns 10¢ off per gallon of gas. Every 10 gallons of gas purchased earns you 1% off your grocery order.

After church today, ran into the store to grab milk, bread, a few other things. I found a line that the current customer, a woman in her 50s, was nearly finished.

Her total came to $99.84 and the cashier asked if she'd like to use her 3%. Her response "Um...how much would it be?"

You can't figure out 3% of $100?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #352
JediKooter
Coordinator

Pet Peeve 92:

People, when you see a cop on the side of the road that has someone pulled over or is assisting someone, don't slam on your fucking brakes. The cop isn't going to jump in his car, Smokey and the Bandit style, and come after you. He's already busy. Especially if they are out of the car and talking to the person they pulled over.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #353
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Pet Peeve 92:

People, when you see a cop on the side of the road that has someone pulled over or is assisting someone, don't slam on your fucking brakes. The cop isn't going to jump in his car, Smokey and the Bandit style, and come after you. He's already busy. Especially if they are out of the car and talking to the person they pulled over.

No Bear packs in your neck of the woods? For every cop you see there are at least two hiding under an overpass.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #354
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
No Bear packs in your neck of the woods? For every cop you see there are at least two hiding under an overpass.

Not usually. The packs you see here are usually in town and not on the freeway. I even know what time the CHP will be on the freeway in the morning just from leaving my house at the same time every day. So, I adjusted my time by about 5 minutes and sure enough, he's always in front of me or has someone pulled over already.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 09-19-2011, 11:49 AM   #355
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Pet Peeve 92:

I've personally seen a cop car on the side of the highway with his lights flashing, "assisting" what I knew was an abandoned car (it had been there a couple days already). I hit my brakes when I saw him, another dude blew past me, and when he passed the cop the cop pulled out onto the highway and pulled the dude over. Ever since then, I don't even risk it...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #356
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I just thought of two pet peeves. One is when people stop a microwave at work before the timer runs out, but they don't reset it. There's a bank of four microwaves that I walk past every day on the way to my desk. Most of the time, three of them are showing the clock, and one still has a few seconds remaining on it. So I clear the one that isn't showing the clock. I mean, I get that it doesn't matter that they left the timer up without clearing it. It just drives me up a wall for some reason.

The other pet peeve is when people actually believe that they're better than I am. That level of ignorance unsettles me.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #357
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I've personally seen a cop car on the side of the highway with his lights flashing, "assisting" what I knew was an abandoned car (it had been there a couple days already). I hit my brakes when I saw him, another dude blew past me, and when he passed the cop the cop pulled out onto the highway and pulled the dude over. Ever since then, I don't even risk it...

Had you not slammed your brakes on, you would have created a dilemma for the cop on who to pull over and he would have just said, 'screw it', and carried on with what he was doing.

If you are going with the flow of traffic and not driving like an idiot, there's no way he will jump in his car and pull you over. This idiot in front of me this morning not only slammed their brakes, but, by the time they were done slowing down, they were doing (by my guess and the speed that I was now going) about 47 on the freeway. Sorry, that is just a bit dangerous in my opinion.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #358
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Pet Peeve 92:

And I have a coworker who was cited for not slowing down ENOUGH when he couldn't change lanes to pass a cop who had someone on the side of the road. Nabbed by one of the other members of the speed trap.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #359
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I just thought of two pet peeves. One is when people stop a microwave at work before the timer runs out, but they don't reset it. There's a bank of four microwaves that I walk past every day on the way to my desk. Most of the time, three of them are showing the clock, and one still has a few seconds remaining on it. So I clear the one that isn't showing the clock. I mean, I get that it doesn't matter that they left the timer up without clearing it. It just drives me up a wall for some reason.

We have that issue, along with the idiots that can't seem to throw away the box when they take the last donut.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #360
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
And I have a coworker who was cited for not slowing down ENOUGH when he couldn't change lanes to pass a cop who had someone on the side of the road. Nabbed by one of the other members of the speed trap.

The point is, if you're on a freeway and the average speed is around 70 and one idiot slams their brakes on, that is dangerous, and that cop isn't going to come get you anyway. They are too busy. Speed traps are different, however, I haven't seen a speed trap on a California freeway in...well, crap, I can't recall ever seeing one on a California freeway.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #361
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
The point is, if you're on a freeway and the average speed is around 70 and one idiot slams their brakes on, that is dangerous, and that cop isn't going to come get you anyway. They are too busy. Speed traps are different, however, I haven't seen a speed trap on a California freeway in...well, crap, I can't recall ever seeing one on a California freeway.

This is EXACTLY the situation that happened here. Highway during rush hour, although still at speed, no room to move over, coworker slowed some but not hugely due to the reason you mentioned, and got ticketed due to the new safety laws about move over or slow down. So the law says that idiot MUST slow down.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #362
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Had you not slammed your brakes on, you would have created a dilemma for the cop on who to pull over and he would have just said, 'screw it', and carried on with what he was doing.

If you are going with the flow of traffic and not driving like an idiot, there's no way he will jump in his car and pull you over. This idiot in front of me this morning not only slammed their brakes, but, by the time they were done slowing down, they were doing (by my guess and the speed that I was now going) about 47 on the freeway. Sorry, that is just a bit dangerous in my opinion.

I'm not sure what you understand what I meant. The cop was pretending to have someone pulled over or was pretending to be assisting someone, but all he was doing was sitting on the side of the road next to an abandoned car, waiting for a speeder. He wasn't doing anything else...

Old 09-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #363
JediKooter
Coordinator

Which in a way, matches with what I'm saying. He wasn't actually giving someone a ticket or assisting anyone. If he actually was, he wouldn't go after anyone since he's already busy.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #364
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Which in a way, matches with what I'm saying. He wasn't actually giving someone a ticket or assisting anyone. If he actually was, he wouldn't go after anyone since he's already busy.

But you wouldn't know until you're past him. Best to lock 'em up just in case. And if a semi runs your ass over, then you get to sue!

Last edited by I. J. Reilly : 09-19-2011 at 01:15 PM.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #365
JediKooter
Coordinator

There must not be that many people on the freeways that you drive on. You have a mass of cars all going relatively the same speed...who does he go after? None. Unless there is one car that sticks out like a sore thumb and even then if the cop even sees it.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #366
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
There must not be that many people on the freeways that you drive on. You have a mass of cars all going relatively the same speed...who does he go after? None. Unless there is one car that sticks out like a sore thumb and even then if the cop even sees it.

Again, I've given an example from rush hour in which someone was actually pulled over for NOT slamming on the brakes. They were pulling plenty over, he was one of the unlucky ones.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #367
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Again, I've given an example from rush hour in which someone was actually pulled over for NOT slamming on the brakes. They were pulling plenty over, he was one of the unlucky ones.

No, I totally understand what you are saying. There's a speed trap involved in your example though, which makes sense.

It's the one idiot that is in a pack of cars all doing the same speed, that slams their brakes on, that causes the problem. That's my pet peeve.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #368
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Again, I've given an example from rush hour.

Attached Images
File Type: gif rushhour3.gif (77.4 KB, 160 views)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #369
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post

Nicely played. I love those movies.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #370
JediKooter
Coordinator

It's my pet peeve. Don't piss on it.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #371
gstelmack
Pro Starter

People pissing on pet peeves is your new pet peeve?
Old 09-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #372
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:

Golden Showers are his pet peeve.....
Old 09-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #373
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Okay, there's the whole "move over America" thing so that cops don't get hit by cars. I always respect that.

What FUCKING pisses me off is that if there is a cop in the little dirt road between directions of traffic taking speeds on radar and people insist in slowing down 15mph below the limit. Continue to go a normal rate of speed there, assholes.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #374
stevew
Hall Of Famer

90% of my driving related anger arise from dicks who putter along in the right(passing) lane and don't move over. And from people who won't go the speed limit, and act all offended when you pass them on a back road.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #375
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

Definitely NOT into the water sports.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #376
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Definitely NOT into the water sports.

Why did you take such a liking to the Savanaraptor Rain GIF???
Quote:
Old 09-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #377
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Why did you take such a liking to the Savanaraptor Rain GIF???

That was rain, not pee. And if it was pee, you'd never see me outside.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #378
Rizon
Pro Starter

F FN SAKES THAT IS THE FIRST AND LAST TIME I LOOK UP "RAPTOR PISS" IN GOOGLE IMAGES. *

* this would be a pet peeve.
Quote:
Old 09-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #379
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
F FN SAKES THAT IS THE FIRST AND LAST TIME I LOOK UP "RAPTOR PISS" IN GOOGLE IMAGES. *

* this would be a pet peeve.

Ok, that IS awesome. I'm not going to look it up, but, your reaction is priceless.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #380
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ok, that IS awesome. I'm not going to look it up, but, your reaction is priceless.

I had Safe Search off while looking for pictures of Ginger Lee. I paid for it with "Raptor piss", but I kind of made up for it searching "Erin eSurance".
Quote:
Old 09-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #381
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I had Safe Search off while looking for pictures of Ginger Lee. I paid for it with "Raptor piss", but I kind of made up for it searching "Erin eSurance".

That's 3 things I never would have thought to have searched for. Throw in Gary Coleman and I'm not so sure the time/space continuum would be intact.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #382
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Lunch places that will take phone orders at the expense of the people waiting in line. Either have a non-cashier take the order, or shut off phone orders during the lunch rush, it's rude for those that are actually STANDING RIGHT THERE to have to wait to place their order while the register person handles the phone call.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #383
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Lunch places that will take phone orders at the expense of the people waiting in line. Either have a non-cashier take the order, or shut off phone orders during the lunch rush, it's rude for those that are actually STANDING RIGHT THERE to have to wait to place their order while the register person handles the phone call.

This drives me nuts, too. I thought I was the only one.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:41 PM   #384
stevew
Hall Of Famer

People who use the phone in general are dicks.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #385
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Listening to callers on sports talk discussing Steelers-Colts the day after.

One caller suggested running more screens. The host counters with "Historically, the Steelers have never been a good screen team".

So because they didn't run it well with Bradshaw, Harris and Bleier, there is no way it can work with Roethlisberger, Mendenhall, Redman and Moore?

The only people still in place with organization from both eras are the Rooneys...must be their fault.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #386
JeeberD
General Manager

I didn't hear the call, obviously, but is there any way that the host was speaking of recent history, and the Steelers not doing well with screens? History doesn't always have to be ancient...

Old 09-29-2011, 07:03 AM   #387
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I didn't hear the call, obviously, but is there any way that the host was speaking of recent history, and the Steelers not doing well with screens? History doesn't always have to be ancient...

I would think he'd say something like "Historically, they are not a good screen team under Tomlin" or "...with Ben at QB".

Historically, with no other qualifier, means the entire history of the team to me.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:08 AM   #388
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

I also hate this on local news-

When doing a story about a fire, shooting, etc, that occurred 12 hours earlier, they have someone "live at the scene". Why? The story is over...now you are just standing on a street corner where someone was allegedly shot 12 hours ago. Why do you need to be on location? Is it more believeable coming from them on the street than from the desk reporter?
Old 09-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #389
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

When doing a story about a fire, shooting, etc, that occurred 12 hours earlier, they have someone "live at the scene". Why? The story is over...now you are just standing on a street corner where someone was allegedly shot 12 hours ago. Why do you need to be on location? Is it more believeable coming from them on the street than from the desk reporter?
I don't know what it is, but I find local news unbearable now. I'm not sure if something has changed in the past 10 years or what, but it's gotten ridiculous. I did an internship at a local news station in New Orleans back in 2000, and if that station's news coverage had been anything like what I see on TV today, I wouldn't have even bothered finishing the internship.

What you described is just one example of how terrible I feel it is. I mean, I see local stations teasing stories like "A CHILD GETS A SPECIAL DOG! TUNE IN AT ELEVEN!" Say what? Maybe my training was bad, but I thought you were supposed to tease actual news. If you're going to tease a feature, at least make it something that affects the whole community. Why am I going to watch the 11:00 news to see someone else's dog? Maybe the dog knows the secret to purifying the county's water supply, and that's great, but you need to tell us that in the tease.

I used to like local news. I used to respect local news. I think it's pathetic now. I'm a grumpy old man.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #390
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Pittsburgh news loves to run stories about copper theft and other domestic terrorism acts. Live on the Scene!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #391
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
DOLA

I think they do that so people can see if they recognize the location. Adds to the story if people have been there before, especially if it is a well known location.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #392
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't know what it is, but I find local news unbearable now. I'm not sure if something has changed in the past 10 years or what, but it's gotten ridiculous. I did an internship at a local news station in New Orleans back in 2000, and if that station's news coverage had been anything like what I see on TV today, I wouldn't have even bothered finishing the internship.

What you described is just one example of how terrible I feel it is. I mean, I see local stations teasing stories like "A CHILD GETS A SPECIAL DOG! TUNE IN AT ELEVEN!" Say what? Maybe my training was bad, but I thought you were supposed to tease actual news. If you're going to tease a feature, at least make it something that affects the whole community. Why am I going to watch the 11:00 news to see someone else's dog? Maybe the dog knows the secret to purifying the county's water supply, and that's great, but you need to tell us that in the tease.

I used to like local news. I used to respect local news. I think it's pathetic now. I'm a grumpy old man.

I joke with my wife all the time that Pittsburgh news goes something like this-

[INTRO MUSIC]
Anchor: LEAD STORY-- The Steelers are playing on Sunday...that's right, Sunday...the Steelers. Live at their practice facility (where nobody is practicing) is Suzie Jones...

Suzie: That's right Bill...I'm here...live at the Steelers practice facility. Where they practiced all week for the game they'll be playing Sunday. Back to you.

Anchor: And BREAKING NEWS...over at the stadium where the game also will not be played, since they play Sunday, on the road...in Cleveland...on Sunday...we have Jack Jacobs...

Jack: I'm here at the stadium...where we just learned they Steeler will fly from the airport at 2:00pm, not 1:00pm. Exclusive to channel 4!

Anchor: In other news, World War III has begun...but, the Steeler game Sunday should go on as scheduled...on Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The Pittsburgh news loves to run stories about copper theft and other domestic terrorism acts. Live on the Scene!

But the game Sunday will still go on!! On Sunday!

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 09-29-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #393
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

See, I try not to say too many bad things about Pittsburgh because I really do like living around here. I also know that New Orleans is not even close to perfect, so I don't want to come off as holier than thou when I compare things about the two cities, and so forth. With that said, I basically know that Pittsburgh local news is shittier than any other local news I've ever seen in my life, but I was trying hard not to state it explicitly.

Since I've now reached the point of complete honesty, I can now say that Johnstown's news broadcast is crisper than Pittsburgh's, and Johnstown doesn't even have anything to report about!

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 09-29-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #394
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
See, I try not to say too many bad things about Pittsburgh because I really do like living around here. I also know that New Orleans is not even close to perfect, so I don't want to come off as holier than thou when I compare things about the two cities, and so forth. With that said, I basically know that Pittsburgh local news is shittier than any other local news I've ever seen in my life, but I was trying hard not to state it explicitly.

Since I've now reached the point of complete honesty, I can now say that Johnstown's news broadcast is crisper than Pittsburgh's, and Johnstown doesn't even have anything to report about!

I have nothing to compare it to...and I know it's bad.

Only here can Sally Wiggin be a celebrity
Old 09-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #395
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I have nothing to compare it to...and I know it's bad.

Only here can Sally Wiggin be a celebrity
I'm going to be at an event next Thursday that Sally Wiggin is hosting. It has nothing to do with the broadcast news industry. I want to punch myself in the face and then punch her in the face.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #396
Rizon
Pro Starter

We work with this company whose employees send us emails with the entire body of the email in the subject line. Annoying.
Quote:
Old 10-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #397
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
We work with this company whose employees send us emails with the entire body of the email in the subject line. Annoying.

Maybe that's where the smell is coming from?

Old 10-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #398
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

I Reply-All to this, and put my response in my signature
Old 10-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #399
Autumn
Head Coach

No, you should BCC your response.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #400
rjolley
College Starter

Working from an office on the weekend with one other person when you're installing software on servers 3 states away. Don't we have high speed internet, IM, text messages, and phones so that we can work remotely on off hours? And I just had to ask the person who did this install last time a question. How did I ask him? BY IM!

Fugg you!
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote