Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-07-2016, 11:17 PM   #1
korme
Go Reds

Bought Rocket League Yesterday and...

I suck. Horribly. I feel like I should be good, I understand the nuances and mechanics but it just hasn't clicked yet. Any tips?

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:18 AM   #2
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Honestly I think it's one of those things you just play and enjoy, while learning on the fly. You could watch youtube tutorials or read tips, but there's no substitute for experience in this game. Everyone sucks at first. You could play offline a while or try some one on one matches online to get your feet wet. It's a ton of fun and it'll click eventually I'm sure.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:06 AM   #3
PilotMan
Head Coach

Think angles and rebounds. A lot of your best plays are going to be playing off of your opponents plays rebounds. Which means that sometimes staying back and waiting is best play.

Consider an x-box controller if you don't use one already. I still don't have one, and there's certainly a point where those limitations are exposed as I've found.

A corollary to #1. Don't chase the ball all the time. Try not to be on the same side of the map as your teammates.

You gotta play to get better. The bot league option is a good way to get the experience and nuance while you learn. It's going to take until 30ish hours before you get really comfortable.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:53 AM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I want it, but I know this will be.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:25 AM   #5
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, patience and positioning yourself on the field is just as important as your actual ball skills.

On the attack, in the corners try to guide it in front of the goal for someone else to tap in. If some else already is by the ball in the wing, park yourself in the middle and wait for their setup.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #6
chinaski
College Prospect

I finally started playing the other day, started off not doing so hot, but after 10 hours I've got a really good feel for the game, just need to work on positioning and execution. I echo all the suggestions above, don't chase, predict where the ball is going, stay back with a center strike in mind. Play smart, not overly aggressive. Learn to use the Y button (focus on ball) a lot. Learn to drive with it on, not for a long time, bit enough so you don't lose track of the ball. Positioning is key at all times. I almost always use a mouse and keyboard, but I don't see how I t could with this game, controller all the way.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #7
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Anybody know what the majority of players chose for their camera mode? I use the ball cam almost exclusively. Generally that works well, though sometimes I get left and right mixed up when my car is at a weird angle. Is this not the common way to play?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #8
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
I suck. Horribly. I feel like I should be good, I understand the nuances and mechanics but it just hasn't clicked yet. Any tips?

play the solo game a lot.
and don't let a friend talk you into teaming up as they will just rocket you into an advanced league that you can't survive in.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #9
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Anybody know what the majority of players chose for their camera mode? I use the ball cam almost exclusively. Generally that works well, though sometimes I get left and right mixed up when my car is at a weird angle. Is this not the common way to play?

Ball mode, all day long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
play the solo game a lot.
and don't let a friend talk you into teaming up as they will just rocket you into an advanced league that you can't survive in.

Very true, although playing casual multiplayer is fine. You might get waxed a lot, but so what. It's when you get into mismatched competitive that it matters most. Avoid that and it's no big deal.

The test labs have some really fun and different maps if you get bored.

Like Steam?

Old 04-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #10
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Solo game is garbage and will get you in bad habits as you play out of position to compensate for awful AI. I wouldn't do it.

Quote:
I use ball cam to track, but I can't play the ball at all with that cam on and almost always switch off if the balls in my line of site or if I'm confident in it's positioning.

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-09-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #11
PilotMan
Head Coach

The thing with solo is you've got to put the bots on one level better than you. Yeah, rookie sucks. Playing 1v1 against an all star bot is challenging. Playing 1v2 against all star is also challenging. You learn ball control.

Like Steam?

Old 04-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #12
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Certainly can help ball control, but I got tired of watching the ai get stuck dribbling the ball right into the wrong goal or clearing from enemy territory rather than centering.

I suppose that could be a skill setting, but it sure felt like poor ai.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:52 PM   #13
RainMaker
General Manager

I got better by watching good players on YouTube and seeing what they would do.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:16 PM   #14
MJ4H
Coordinator

Anyone hopelessly addicted to this game these days, like me?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:57 PM   #15
ColtCrazy
College Starter

My son is insanely good at this. Meanwhile, I am the Faroe Islands of Rocket League.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #16
PilotMan
Head Coach

I came to the realization that I was only ever going to be a 2 star player and destined to be locked in underachieving suck-land. I mean, I had moments, but mostly I got tired of not being able to get better, especially at aerials. But when I do fire it back up again, I get stuck playing it for days. It's a great game.

Like Steam?

Old 12-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #17
finketr
College Prospect

MJ4H: Still am since release day.

ColtCrazy: My 7yo loves playing it but isn't the best at all the mechanics.

PilotMan: As with everything.. practice.. practice.. practice...

I miss lots of aerials and what not and sometimes my accuracy is not good, but it's still a lot of fun.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #18
RainMaker
General Manager

This is one of those games where I'm better with a few drinks in me.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:41 AM   #19
MJ4H
Coordinator

Just got promoted to Gold 2 the other day. Anyone else play competitive?

I have a youtube channel where I post highlights from my play. I do it for myself, mostly, to kind of track my actual improvement. Check it out if you want, but don't expect top level play. Maybe I'll get there someday.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrp...P5hLHu_PqjQUog
Old 01-20-2019, 05:49 PM   #20
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I bought it for playstation after having it on PC but rarely playing it. Still a ton of fun, but I'm not very good.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #21
MJ4H
Coordinator

Up to Diamond 2 in Rocket League. Still looking for people to team up in 3s with. Got a regular 2s partner that I'll probably stay with, but I love 3s and he hates it, so let's go.
Old 05-05-2023, 06:19 AM   #22
MJ4H
Coordinator

Still playing this all these years later. Am I the only one?

Currently Champ 2. Anyone else play this?