Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #1
Butter
Coordinator

World Sport thread

Yes, it's still 2016, but it is an active time in the area of all the weird sports that don't get much media coverage in the United States. All the weird stuff that ESPN3 streams but I bet no one watches.

I'm sure there's a couple of you in here that pay attention to it. And if not, well I guess this thread will be a bit of an echo chamber.

Bangladesh Premier League T20 cricket ended with an underwhelming final a couple of weeks ago, as Dhaka beat Rajshahi by 56 runs... Rajshahi barely broke 100 before going all out. 150+ is usually a pretty good T20 cricket total. The Australian T20 league is underway now, but not televised in the US.
BPL T20 Final highlights.

Mosconi Cup billiards were two weeks ago as well, as Europe completely dominated the USA winning 11-3 and taking home their 7th straight Cup.
2015 highlights since 2016 competition is too recent for someone to have slapped a highlight reel together.

That competition was held at the Alexandra Palace in London, which last week began hosting the World Cup of Darts. I think my favorite two things about darts are:
1. The really corny nicknames. There's a guy who qualified in named Mark Frost whose nickname is "Frosty the Throw Man" who had a logo and everything. If you don't have a nickname and logo, you might as well not show up.
2. The crowd is basically there to sing songs and drink. Sure, a few of them pay attention to the darts... but 75% of the crowd is in costume to get pissed.

Best two matches I've seen so far:
Joe Cullen v. Corey Cadby
This match featured the #28 seed vs. a qualifier who actually was made a favorite in the match based on his amazing play in the Qualifying round. These two players were both throwing at a near record scoring pace through the first couple of sets... announcers were quite amazed at the high quality of the play in this round.

Michael Smith v. Ricky Evans
This match between #11 seed Michael "Bully Boy" Smith and "Rapid" Ricky Evans. This match goes the distance, but was one of the quickest in time of the first round because of the quickness that Evans throws his darts. Evans was timed as throwing 3 darts in under 3 seconds at times in this match. So, a good one to catch if you haven't watched before, because it's only about 35 minutes long and exciting.

I feel like I would fit right in in Darts, because it appears a prerequisite is to be near middle aged and overweight. I'm in.

The 2017 Darts World Championship is on ESPN3 through the final in early January.

Last edited by Butter : 09-26-2019 at 05:50 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:49 AM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

You know I eat this stuff up. Didn't realize there was a Bangladesh T20 league. I know about Big Bash league.

Darts live trips me out, but really cool.

Finnish Bandy Pro League. Bandy is ice ball hockey played on a soccer-sized rink.

Game 5 of the Finnish Baseball League championship where my Vimpelin Veto beat rivals Sotkamon Jymy 3 games to 2. Sotkamo had won 5 straight titles (against Vimepli) before losing this year.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-21-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #3
Butter
Coordinator

I didn't want to call you out by name, but yeah.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #4
Critch
lolzcat

I've been following the World Darts Championship this year, the evening sessions starting at 7pm London time puts them right in my afternoon working-from-home/watching tv schedule. I havent watched much of the darts since I left the UK, so I'm catching up. Most of the players I used to watch are either commentating now, or have had their inevitable heart attack and died in the years I missed out on. Or have been fired from commentating for making crass statements about child abuse, Eric Bristow was always a dickhead.

Best game I've seen so far: John "The Highlander" Henderson v Andrew "Gold Finger" Gilding

John Henderson may be the fatest "sportsman" in the world (non-Sumo category). Joe Cullen v Corey Cadby started at an amazing scoring pace, Cadby looks like he'll be around for a while, and he also looks like somebody who'll be easy to dislike.

I'll be cheering for reigning World Champion Gary "The Flying Scotsman" Anderson and Peter "Snakebite" Wright. Less so for Wright because he's Scottish, but he seems like a bit of a dick. So long as it's not Phil "The Power" Taylor, I'll be happy.

My tips for upcoming lesser-seen World Sports:

1. The Four Hills Ski Jumping Tournament. According to my German friend, this tournament on tv is a German/Austrian holiday tradition. Starts on Dec 30th and runs for a week over two German and two Austrian hills, it's on Universal HD and live streaming on the NBC Sports app.

2. The New Year Basho - First of the year's 6 Sumo tournaments. Runs January 8th to 22nd, NHK World shows a nightly 20-minute highlights show. It's like the darts, but semi-naked.

Last edited by Critch : 12-21-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:50 AM   #5
Butter
Coordinator

LOL'd at "inevitable heart attack".

Gilding probably belongs in:

Old 12-21-2016, 09:51 AM   #6
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

NBCSN has been showing quite a bit of things like World Cup Skiing, triathlons, women's hockey, and obscure auto racing competitions. CBSSN has been fairly similar recently. The next event Alpine Skiing World Cup on NBCSN is January 13.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 12-21-2016 at 09:52 AM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:12 AM   #7
Critch
lolzcat

Incidentally, the Australian T20 League does have tv coverage in the US. Willow TV is showing live games overnight and highlights during the day. It's a pay network aimed at Indians in the US (judging by the adverts it runs).

I dont know how much it costs, but it's part of my Fios sports package so cant be too much.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:26 AM   #8
Butter
Coordinator

Is that the same outlet that shows the Indian Premier League?
Old 12-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Is that the same outlet that shows the Indian Premier League?

Yup.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #10
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, I'm too cheap to spring for it, but I was pretty disappointed they moved the IPL off of ESPN3 from 2015 to 2016.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:29 PM   #11
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post

Game 5 of the Finnish Baseball League championship where my Vimpelin Veto beat rivals Sotkamon Jymy 3 games to 2. Sotkamo had won 5 straight titles (against Vimepli) before losing this year.

This looks interesting
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #12
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

If you have a Tivo or up very late at night, you can also catch the Big Bash League on NBCSN (or the one hour replays they show the next day)

(edit: that's what I get for trying to do network names when I just woke up :P)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-21-2016 at 06:36 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #13
Critch
lolzcat

Good day for the darts tomorrow. Start of the second round so the matches should be more balanced with the real no-hopers and qualifiers out of the way, and with the holidays kicking in in the UK there's an afternoon session as well as the evening session.

Pretty much all day darts, if you can stand the excitement.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:40 PM   #14
21C
College Prospect

180!
Old 12-23-2016, 02:58 PM   #15
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Gotta say it right.. it's...

ONEEEEE HUNNNNNNNDRED AND EIIIIIIIIIIIGHTTEEEEEEEE!
Old 12-23-2016, 03:09 PM   #16
tarcone
Coordinator

Not sure if this fits here. But Ice Cube is starting a 3 on 3 basketball league. 8 teams of 5. The teams will travel and play in different cities.

Thats all I know. But it sounds pretty cool.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #17
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Premiership Rugby, Northampton vs Sale on NBCSN right now.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:36 AM   #18
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

If anyone wants a primer for today's glorious NFL slate, NBCSN has another Premiership Rugby match on right now and they're showing a Big Bash League match from Australia at noon.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:39 PM   #19
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Not sure if this fits here. But Ice Cube is starting a 3 on 3 basketball league. 8 teams of 5. The teams will travel and play in different cities.

Thats all I know. But it sounds pretty cool.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2016/1...ketball-league

Summer league. Took Roger Mason from the NBAPA to come run it. Has commitments from several ex-NBA guys to play and coach. If And1 could be successful with no-name dudes in gyms all over the world, I think this at least has legs to be somewhat interesting if they market/do it right.

I mean, even The Basketball Tournament has grown in the few years its been around. Should be interesting.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:23 PM   #20
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
If anyone wants a primer for today's glorious NFL slate, NBCSN has another Premiership Rugby match on right now and they're showing a Big Bash League match from Australia at noon.

Thanks for that. I will watch that later on the app.

Best part about these sports from other countries is they rarely get spoiled for me so I can watch days later.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:28 AM   #21
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Holy shit, that ending to the Aussie-Pakistan Test Match.

A bowling surface more like concrete then anything really conducive to good bowling. Nearly two full days lost to rain. Pakistan scored 443/9 in their first innings, and Australia scored 624/9 before declaring early on the final day. The game was petering out to an inevitable draw..

except..

Except the pitch all of a sudden got friendlier, and the Aussie attack all of a sudden was asking questions that the Pakistani batsmen weren't prepared to answer. They came out expecting a block and yawn, but the ball was swinging, and turning on them. (In baseball terms, they were expecting batting practice and got the equivalent of Roger Clemens and Charlie Hough in their primes one after another, back and forth)

In the end, with just under an hour left in the match, Australia got the final wicket, Pakistan had only scored 163, and Australia won the match by an innings and 18 runs
Old 12-30-2016, 08:13 AM   #22
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Asthon Agar hits a 6 to end the game and win a Big Bash League matchup over Melbourne.

Ashton Agar wins the game with a six! - YouTube
Old 12-30-2016, 08:14 AM   #23
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
This looks interesting

What Finland can Teach America about baseball (WSJ)

What in the world is Finnish baseball? (NYTimes)

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-30-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #24
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Old 12-31-2016, 02:07 AM   #25
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

If you're curious to see what Britain considers to be the major sporting events of the year:

Sport calendar 2017: Major events of the year - BBC Sport
Old 12-31-2016, 10:00 AM   #26
Critch
lolzcat

Best World Darts Championship Quarter Final from yesterday:

Gary Anderson vs Dave Chisnall

Top arras. Dave "Chizzy" Chisnall hitting 180 after 180 against the reigning World Champion.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:16 PM   #27
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Some asshole tried to take the trophy.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:00 PM   #28
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Holy shit, in the Pakistan-Australia 2nd Test Match, David Warner becomes only the fifth batsman in Test history (140 years) to score 100 runs in the first session of a Test. He scored his 100 off 78 balls. That's a good scoring rate, for a T20 or a One Day game, for a Test Match, it's Warp Seven stuff. To contrast, his batting teammate, has faced 84 balls.. and scored 28.. which is more traditional stuff from an opener.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:09 PM   #29
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Some asshole tried to take the trophy.

The guy got the trophy and then got to the front of the board before being rushed by security, probably just a raging drunk who thought it was funny rather than somebody trying to make a point. Generally I dont condone violence, but I hope that security will have deservedly beaten him to a pulp.

Great tournament over all, the final was top quality from both players even if the score ended up a bit lopsided (not saying who won to avoid spoilers as I'm sure everybody will be rushing to find it on youtube...)
Old 01-02-2017, 08:10 PM   #30
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Um.. the you tube preview pretty much gives it away
Old 01-02-2017, 08:13 PM   #31
Critch
lolzcat

Hah, so it does. I watched the final live so didnt look at the twitter link.

Assuming that gave it away, MVG is in a class of his own and will be winning anything he wants as long as he wants.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:02 AM   #32
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Old 01-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #33
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Great tournament over all, the final was top quality from both players even if the score ended up a bit lopsided (not saying who won to avoid spoilers as I'm sure everybody will be rushing to find it on youtube...)

The semi especially between MVG and Barney was unbelievable. The final was pretty good too. Anderson was playing really well, but MVG is obviously just in a class by himself.

Finally watched it last night as I had been out of pocket for a lot of days since 12/29.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #34
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

If You Lose the Next Point I’m Sending You to Your Room, Young Man

A story about the #1 squash player in the world who is coached by his mother, a non-player.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-13-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:38 PM   #35
Butter
Coordinator

Australian Open is underway, and women's number 1 Angelique Kerber went three sets in her first match, and just got pushed to a third set in her second match by a fellow German.

That's a fun match so far.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:06 PM   #36
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

US vs China mixed doubles curling currently on NBCSN.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:23 PM   #37
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Tokyo Marathon live on NBCSN tomorrow night.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:49 PM   #38
Critch
lolzcat

Not sure if it deserves it's own ignored thread, or if it belongs lumped in with World Sports, but Tour de France 2017 is underway.

Big shake up today as annual green jersey winner Peter Sagan has been disqualified (appeals pending). Final sprint Mark Cavendish tried to overtake Sagan and Sagan looked to flick out an elbow and ride Cavendish into the barriers.

I'd be surprised if Sagan isnt reinstated, though. Didnt look clear cut intentional enough to kick Sagan out.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:00 PM   #39
digamma
Torchbearer

Nothing much to add other than saying I got my first cricket experience over the weekend and went to the Royal London Cup One Day Final between Nottinghamshire and Surrey at Lord's. It was a great experience, and after an hour or so I was able to pick things up pretty well. I got my boys a kids cricket set and we've been playing for the last couple of days.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #40
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Not sure if it deserves it's own ignored thread, or if it belongs lumped in with World Sports, but Tour de France 2017 is underway.

Big shake up today as annual green jersey winner Peter Sagan has been disqualified (appeals pending). Final sprint Mark Cavendish tried to overtake Sagan and Sagan looked to flick out an elbow and ride Cavendish into the barriers.

I'd be surprised if Sagan isnt reinstated, though. Didnt look clear cut intentional enough to kick Sagan out.

Yeah, I was surprised Sagan was DQd. Thought even the 80 points penalty was harsh - relegate to last in the stage and fine seemed right to me. The incident with Cav was more a lack of awareness to me than outright recklessness.

Although i have read that he also caused the crash that took down G, Froome and other main contenders with about 1.5k to go too, which if it was the case and that was reckless, you can see the rationale for the DQ a little more.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #41
Critch
lolzcat

Andre Griepel's team also apparently made a complaint about Sagan after yesterday's sprint, and then again today after an intermediate sprint. Sounds like Sagan has been throwing himself about.

Edit to avoid unnecessary dola - I was wrong above, Sagan isn't dqed pending apppeal, there's no appeal process so he's out.

Last edited by Critch : 07-04-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #42
AlexB
Pro Starter

A complete clusterfuck of a stage today - AG2R blew the race apart, crashes, great attacks, the hardest earned sprint points ever, unsporting attacks, riders' form exposed, mechanicals, a little bit of everything.

Great watching, although some of the post crash images were a little hard to watch, especially Mori's cries of pain.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #43
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Vimpelin Veto (my favorite Superpesis team - the Finnish Major League) won Game 4 of the Semifinals to advance to the Championship Series (Best-of-5) for the 8th straight year. It took extra innings to do it. Pesapallo works where they play two 4-inning sets. If both teams split the sets, there's a 9th inning "Super inning" and if you're still tied after that, then there's a round that basically amount to penalty kicks, you get 5 batter/runner pairs (the runner is on 3rd) and you try to score them home.

If you're STILL tied after that, you play another one of those, but with 3 batter/runner pairs. We won after that one.

Highlights.

Finals start Sunday.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-08-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:59 PM   #44
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

what the fuck is that?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:23 PM   #45
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I mean, it's no Calcio Storico
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:28 PM   #46
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
what the fuck is that?

Finnish baseball. I can explain many of the weird things, too. But this video will give a head start.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 09-08-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:08 PM   #47
21C
College Prospect

The AFL (Australian Football League) has completed their regular season and currently in the middle of its finals.

The Sydney Swans (lost in last year's grand final) started the season with six straight losses and then went 14-2 to finish sixth on the ladder. They are currently one of six remaining teams in the finals - with Adelaide, Richmond, GWS, Geelong and West Coast.

The AFL has had a head-scratching schedule where there is a week off between the last regular season round and the start of the finals. They have done this for the last two years. There has been a lot of debate about it so hopefully they will get rid of it since it makes little sense to me.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:35 PM   #48
21C
College Prospect

By the way, if you ever get a chance, you must check the AFL's MVP presentation (or Brownlow Medal) for the best and fairest player.

It is strangely compelling viewing. The best players from each game are awarded 3-2-1 points (by the game's umpires) with these results announced at the end of season presentation. The leader board is updated at the same time so the drama grows as the points are announced. A nice part of it, since this is for the best and fairest, is that players are ineligible if they have been suspended during the season for any on-field transgression.

I think that you can find last year's presentation on youtube.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:53 PM   #49
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post

The AFL has had a head-scratching schedule where there is a week off between the last regular season round and the start of the finals. They have done this for the last two years. There has been a lot of debate about it so hopefully they will get rid of it since it makes little sense to me.

Haven't the foggiest with regards to the sport, but giving players a week of rest before the deciding games and making sure they can perform the best and maybe have a give smaller injuries time to heal seems like a sensible decision to me
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:58 PM   #50
21C
College Prospect

It's weird to me because it seems to lose the momentum of the season. It also plays with some of the top teams.

The top 8 teams make the finals. 1st plays 4th and 2nd plays 3rd with the winning teams getting the following weeks off. 5-8 and 6-7 play, with those winning teams playing against the losing teams from 1-4 and 2-3. A top four position gives teams a "double-chance" - they can lose in the first week but still make the grand final.

That means that a top four team could play their final regular season game, have the week off, win their opening game in the finals and then have the next week off. They would only play once in a three week period.