Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2020, 08:11 PM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Anyone have a Peloton?

Thinking about getting one. They are having good deals right now and not being able to go to the gym is taking its toll. I have actually lost weight but its muscle and my blood sugar is way too high. I have Type 2 diabetes due to a genetic blood disorder I have and need to get it under control.

Just wondering if anyone has one and their thoughts.

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:21 PM   #2
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm too poor
Old 05-13-2020, 08:24 PM   #3
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I bought one at Christmas and as of Saturday I will have hit 100 rides. I do a lot of yoga, stretching, and when I traveled for work I would use the Hotel's treadmill to do their running workouts.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:25 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I bought one at Christmas and as of Saturday I will have hit 100 rides. I do a lot of yoga, stretching, and when I traveled for work I would use the Hotel's treadmill to do their running workouts.

Great to see you man!

So you enjoy it? Worth the investment?
Old 05-13-2020, 09:15 PM   #5
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

It all depends on how much you plan on using it? Between my wife and I, we use it a ton. If not the bike, then one of the other workouts.

I mainly bought it to help with my offseason cardio...my knees can't handle the pounding of running miles and then going through a season. I go to a personal trainer Tuesdays at 5am. I found what works best for me is to just show up and have someone tell me what to do...

On the bike I like how there are plenty of different rides (HIIT, Tabada, Hill Climbs, Low Impact, Power Zone, and then you have your normal theme rides). I'll mix up 20 min, 30 min, 45 min, and maybe a 60 min ride a week.

I tend to hide the leader board and my overall output because I found myself over exerting myself and hurting myself trying to get a PR each time.

I will plan out my week to do 5 rides. One is a low impact, one is a HIIT/Tabada, and the other ones are theme rides (based on music). Plenty of instructors to choose from and I have a few friends who have it so we do rides together and video chat during it.

It's more than just the bike though...I take advantage of yoga and the treadmill ones like I told you. I think they are still running a free 90 day trial of the app, so you can check it out even if you don't have a bike. It's worth it even more that my wife uses it.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:54 PM   #6
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I realized I didn't specifically answer your questions...I love it. I am very glad I bought it. I've already used it more than the elliptical I had for 6 years previous and I use it more than my planet fitness membership. I wish I would have bought it earlier and frankly I wish I would have bought the IPO stock because I think its going to take off more than it already has.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:30 PM   #7
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah I agree, it's awesome. Had a regular workout bike, never used it. Use the Peleton at least 3 times a week and between my wife and I have got what we paid back three times over already. The total experience just works and will push you to kick your own ass way more than any other workout I've done in my life (well maybe except for boot camp with some wannabe extreme jackass yelling in your face, but that was a long time ago)
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:22 PM   #8
tarcone
Coordinator

Which level did you guys buy?
And how much is the monthly membership?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:33 PM   #9
bhlloy
Coordinator

$39 a month. Couldn't tell you exactly what bike we have or how much it is new because we bought it off one of my wife's coworkers who wasn't using it. But the $40 a month is easily worth it considering between us we are doing more than 40 workouts a month, so less than $1 per pop.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:58 PM   #10
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I have had my Peloton for 2.5 years and I’ve never once regretted the purchase. I have no desire to get their treadmill, but rumor has it they will launch a rowing machine this year. That will be a day one purchase for me should it come to fruition.

I ride 3-4 times a week, while also doing anywhere from 5-10 of their strength classes on the app as a supplement to my riding. Everything is super well done.

Last edited by DeToxRox : 05-14-2020 at 08:59 PM.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:29 PM   #11
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I have had my Peloton for 2.5 years and I’ve never once regretted the purchase. I have no desire to get their treadmill, but rumor has it they will launch a rowing machine this year. That will be a day one purchase for me should it come to fruition.

A rower??? Count me in on that one too.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:17 AM   #12
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
A rower??? Count me in on that one too.

Correct.

There was a story in November that referenced a Rower and a cheaper Treadmill being released in 2020. Certainly the current times might delay production on those machines but it seems like both are inevitable.

Edit:

Here is a recent link

https://www.google.com/amp/s/otakuka...t-we-know/amp/

Last edited by DeToxRox : 05-15-2020 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:24 AM   #13
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I ride 3-4 times a week, while also doing anywhere from 5-10 of their strength classes on the app as a supplement to my riding. Everything is super well done.

DeTox! Good to see you, brother.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:11 AM   #14
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
DeTox! Good to see you, brother.

HB my friend, how the hell are you?
Old 05-15-2020, 12:46 PM   #15
tarcone
Coordinator

My wife has wanted a rower for awhile now. I have wanted a bike. We have a Peloton store about 30 minutes away.

We will start shopping soon.

We walk over 3 miles a day. But I cannot take the humidity anymore, and Im afraid that will stop this Summer. I need to start weight training, Im getting soft and hangy. I need to lose 17 pounds. The kids are leaving for college. So much time to use and just need the motivation.

Thanks for this thread.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:54 PM   #16
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

We'd like one too - but fuck they're expensive.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:05 PM   #17
Galaril
Pro Starter

I read this article that gave a number of alternatives and this one seems to be the best alternative for half the price :

https://www.myxfitness.com/products/the-myx

Best Peloton alternatives: 4 great indoor exercise bikes that cost less - CNET

Last edited by Galaril : 05-16-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:28 AM   #18
AlexB
Pro Starter

I have a NordicTrack bike, and would advise against going down that route.

TBF the bike itself is great, it’s just that you are effectively tied to the iFit platform to get the benefits over a normal exercise bike, and iFit is an abomination.

So my warning extends to any other machine that is bound exclusively to iFit
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:58 AM   #19
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
HB my friend, how the hell are you?

Doing well, thanks! I’m still in the area, but moved about 2 miles west a couple of years ago. I’m now in Huntington Woods - remarried with an 8 year old stepson and 9 month old daughter. It’s been fantastic. How are you doing?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:10 AM   #20
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Doing well, thanks! I’m still in the area, but moved about 2 miles west a couple of years ago. I’m now in Huntington Woods - remarried with an 8 year old stepson and 9 month old daughter. It’s been fantastic. How are you doing?

HW, eh? That’s big time. Awesome to hear you’re doing well. The wife and I are still in Berkley. No kids. Just trying to do a bunch of traveling. It’s been great.
Old 05-18-2020, 05:41 PM   #21
bob
College Starter

Two questions:

1- Can you use the bike without a subscription to the classes?

2- Does each person in a household need their own subscription (if my wife and I both use it, is it $39 / month x 2)?

Thanks
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:04 PM   #22
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Two questions:

1- Can you use the bike without a subscription to the classes?

2- Does each person in a household need their own subscription (if my wife and I both use it, is it $39 / month x 2)?

Thanks

1 - In theory yes but you would have no idea what resistance or cadence you were pedaling at.

2- No you have a lot of profiles you can make under one account ($39). My wife and I (as well as a few friends) are under one account and we pay just one price.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:38 PM   #23
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Pulled the trigger yesterday, going to take about ten weeks to arrive but I get immediate access to the app.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #24
bob
College Starter

Thanks for the info.

Really don't love the idea that I have to pay the $40 / month fee forever to use the bike. Especially because they could always increase the price.

I'll probably just stick to my rower.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:30 PM   #25
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Latham,

When my wife got hers she found that if you call, you can often get that ten week time cut down by a few weeks as they can move your delivery earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:03 PM   #26
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Latham,

When my wife got hers she found that if you call, you can often get that ten week time cut down by a few weeks as they can move your delivery earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

We are actually on vacation in Nantucket (in theory) the 2 weeks before it gets delivered. That allows me to binge whatever I want because I'll hit the bike when we get back.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #27
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Delivery date moved up to 6/22.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:05 PM   #28
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I do not have a Peloton, but I did just buy a new NordicTrack treadmill to replace my 12 year old treadmill and have spent a week with it and the iFit program and I love it. I'm afraid I'm going to over-exert myself, actually, as much as I'm enjoying it.

My old treadmill was great but limited - never had an issue with it over a decade, but I had to manually change speeds/inclines, etc., if I wanted a varied workout that was different from the presets that came with it. I have been running 17-22 miles a week during Corona season, but got into a rut of just doing 4.5 mile runs at about 6-6.8 miles an hour, which neatly synched up to watching a DVR'd TV show fast forwarding through the commercials. I really underestimated my ability to rise to a challenge, as I've been running longer/faster and doing way more incline work than I ever thought I could handle. The scenery and trainers are really fun, and when I'm only on the google map workouts, the bluetooth speakers are terrific for rocking hard during a workout.

It wasn't cheap - I got the X22i - but right now, me, the wife and our younger daughter are all using it. It has far exceeded expectations.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-07-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:34 PM   #29
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I have a Schwinn Airdyne AD7 (aka Airdyne Pro). Nicknamed the Devil's Tricycle, it will undoubtedly kick your ass every time you use it. Highly recommend it (or the Assault Air, Rogue Echo, etc.).

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 08-07-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:56 PM   #30
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I do not have a Peloton, but I did just buy a new NordicTrack treadmill to replace my 12 year old treadmill and have spent a week with it and the iFit program and I love it. I'm afraid I'm going to over-exert myself, actually, as much as I'm enjoying it.

My old treadmill was great but limited - never had an issue with it over a decade, but I had to manually change speeds/inclines, etc., if I wanted a varied workout that was different from the presets that came with it. I have been running 17-22 miles a week during Corona season, but got into a rut of just doing 4.5 mile runs at about 6-6.8 miles an hour, which neatly synched up to watching a DVR'd TV show fast forwarding through the commercials. I really underestimated my ability to rise to a challenge, as I've been running longer/faster and doing way more incline work than I ever thought I could handle. The scenery and trainers are really fun, and when I'm only on the google map workouts, the bluetooth speakers are terrific for rocking hard during a workout.

It wasn't cheap - I got the X22i - but right now, me, the wife and our younger daughter are all using it. It has far exceeded expectations.

What can you watch on that screen?
Old 08-07-2020, 07:31 PM   #31
Ksyrup

I've read you can hack it, but it doesn't come with (and isn't supposed to be used with) anything other than their workout videos, live streams and google workout routes, as far as I know. Apparently there's an administrator mode that you can access and it essentially puts you onto a desktop of an android tablet, where you can download Netflix and other apps.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-07-2020, 08:51 PM   #32
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I've read you can hack it, but it doesn't come with (and isn't supposed to be used with) anything other than their workout videos, live streams and google workout routes, as far as I know. Apparently there's an administrator mode that you can access and it essentially puts you onto a desktop of an android tablet, where you can download Netflix and other apps.
We got the exact same treadmill. It's really nice to say the least and offers a forgiving running surface vs other treads I've used. I was thinking about hacking it, but I've just ended up placing my ipad on the screen and it works perfectly.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:19 PM   #33
Ksyrup

So tomorrow will be 30 days since I plugged my NordicTrack in and I'll hit 100 miles logged on the dot.

I will say, I don't know if any of these companies are getting ad money from the locations they feature in their programming, but they ought to. They should try partnering with different cities/countries tourism departments. I'm doing a 10K training series that is in Slovenia and I'm sold on a vacation there. Before 2 weeks ago it would probably have been outside my top 100 destinations.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:50 PM   #34
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
So tomorrow will be 30 days since I plugged my NordicTrack in and I'll hit 100 miles logged on the dot.

I will say, I don't know if any of these companies are getting ad money from the locations they feature in their programming, but they ought to. They should try partnering with different cities/countries tourism departments. I'm doing a 10K training series that is in Slovenia and I'm sold on a vacation there. Before 2 weeks ago it would probably have been outside my top 100 destinations.

Good job. 100 miles is a really good month first month.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:07 AM   #35
Ksyrup

I can't imagine I can do too much more. Being in semi-quarantine and working from home quite a bit has helped. I've only taken 7 days off this month. Typically we'd be doing do much stuff I wouldn't have this much time. But it's been fun. I've also been inspired by watching the world's toughest race.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-29-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:29 AM   #36
molson
General Manager

Remember when that lady getting a Peloton for Christmas and making that face was the biggest news story and controversy in America?

Those were the days.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:58 AM   #37
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I bought a nordicTrack s22i off amazon the other day and it arrived in about 4 days. Comes with free classes for a year. I did have to replace the seat because it was a taint brick. Classes aren't live but it has a lot of similar features to the peleton(22" screen, etc)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:21 PM   #38
Ksyrup

I'm 3 weeks into part 1 of Tommy Rivs' 10K training series. Tomorrow is an 8.5 mile run, that will be the longest run of my life.

I hope Tommy is able to recover from his cancer battle. Tremendously sad what happened to him the past 2 months, but he appears to be doing relatively well considering the circumstances. Unsure what his future is going to hold though. I love his training sessions - perfect mix of physiology, running info, and world geology/history.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:21 AM   #39
Edward64
Head Coach

Peloton has announced a new treadmill and a new bike. Not a lot of details yet so may wait till there are more details on the new bike.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:07 PM   #40
Edward64
Head Coach

New Peloton bike. The old bike is more affordable now but think I would go with the newer bike for better future proofing and, if it comes to it, resale value.

Definitely feeling more poor since last Thu and the second stimulus (my guess, will be much more targeted to those that need it more) may not happen for me or anytime soon.

But still tempted.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/08/tech/...cts/index.html
Quote:
Peloton is cutting the price of its original at-home exercise bike by 15% and unveiling new fitness products, a sign that the company believes the pandemic has permanently changed people's workout routines and that it can further grow its fervent fan base.

Beginning Wednesday, its core bike will cost $1,895 — a $350 reduction — with the monthly financing rate dropping $9 to $49 a month. With a slightly more attractive price point, Peloton (PTON) wants to maintain its blockbuster year and enlist new members even as gyms across the United States reopen.

Peloton is also moving upscale with a new model, called the Bike+. For $2,495, the new bike has a larger screen to stream its classes, enhanced speakers and a new feature that automatically changes the resistance depending on the teacher's instructors. The screen can also be tilted so customers can do floor workouts with its new, full-body classes launching September 15.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-08-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:18 PM   #41
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Did some ride through vietnam last night. I'm still way out of shape, but i'm sure I'll eventually get there. The bike I have adjusts the incline and the resistance based on the ride. Almost felt like I was actually biking up these mini hills
Old 09-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #42
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Did some ride through vietnam last night. I'm still way out of shape, but i'm sure I'll eventually get there. The bike I have adjusts the incline and the resistance based on the ride. Almost felt like I was actually biking up these mini hills

Can you say it has helped you so far?
Old 09-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #43
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

This was the major feature of the Peleton I was really bummed it didn’t have. Had I known that I may have plumped for a different product. With that being said the Peleton classes are awesome and not regretting the purchase still.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:21 PM   #44
Ksyrup

Does peloton just do classes, or do they do ride-alongs like iFit (through cities, countries, etc.}? A class would bore the hell out of me - iFit has them but I've steered clear except one to complete a challenge.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-08-2020 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:07 PM   #45
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I’ve only done like 4 rides so far. Trying to platform up so I can do harder workouts. My arms hurt like shit so far. Replacing the seat helped a ton but I may have to figure out something with the handlebars. I’m like 6’4” so getting an ideal fit is unlikely.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #46
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Does peloton just do classes, or do they do ride-alongs like iFit (through cities, countries, etc.}? A class would bore the hell out of me - iFit has them but I've steered clear except one to complete a challenge.

there are scenic rides.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:49 PM   #47
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
there are scenic rides.

Yeah. Kinda - my experience with them is that the video can be kinda spotty and the resistance doesn’t auto adjust with the terrain, which I was disappointed in. But the classes have been good enough to make up for it and I’ve used it as much or far more than I expected, so YMMV.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:12 PM   #48
Edward64
Head Coach

Okay, in serious discussions & negotiations with the missus and not factoring a second stimulus check. Hoping to order one soon.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:15 AM   #49
Ksyrup

I'm still going strong on my NT treadmill. Since July 31st I've run 215 miles and will be finishing week 6 of an 8-week 10K training series today. I can't believe how strong I have gotten in about 7 weeks. I'm running 8-10 miles in a day at least once or twice a week now. I think 7 miles is the longest I had ever run in my life before now, and I can only remember doing that once.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:11 AM   #50
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, got tired of waiting for a second stimulus and we went ahead and got a Peloton. Funny how one can rationalize pretty much any purchase.