Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-08-2003, 09:40 AM   #251
Buzzbee
College Starter

Normally I'm a "best player available" type when it comes to the lower rounds of the draft, but in this case, with our lack of depth at Safety and Receiver, I think we should focus on these areas. If we can find a CB that can fill a S role, I'm all for that. Likewise, if QS can find us a good RB to convert to a WR I'd support it. He's been stellar at finding guys who fit in other roles. (Clap, clap, clap).

Last edited by Buzzbee : 10-08-2003 at 10:34 AM.
Buzzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 09:53 AM   #252
cuervo72
Head Coach

I think he may have already identified a candidate in Eric Mixon.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 09:54 AM   #253
QuikSand
lolzcat

Time for a little general musing about playing the game.

As long as your rules allow you to participate in the free agent process fairly freely (like ours do), then I think the guiding principle of the draft is to fill roles that cannot be practically filled by way of decent veteran players.

Sure, with your early picks, you want to get stars - and guys who can make a real difference to the team. No dispute there. But I think it requires a somewhat deeper look to get a real guiding principle - looking at the "replacement options" for each position.

A great example might be in the secondary - where satefy and cornerback are just totally different cases. Every year, there are plenty of veteran safeties floating around looking for deals that aren't that much more than the veteran minimum. These guys (when selected well) can do very well for a typical team as starters, reserves, or even sliding over to play some corner. Then contrast that with cornerback. You want to get a fairly proven, starting-caliber cornerback not even a star) via free agency? You're almost inevitably talking about spending 3x or 4x the veteran minimum -- in this game, that means something like $5-8 million -- real money.

We got pretty lucky to pick up Perry as our nickel back, but he's really the only decent guy we have seen at that kind of price. And he's not exactly a guy we'd be thrilled to put on the field as a starter at CB... he's pretty marginal. That's typical of CB.

My point doesn't rest on CB/S, but rather in the general. I think that when positions can be easily filled by grabbing decent free agents who can do the job, that should be the first choice. The draft should primarily focus on acquiring players who are not practical to sign as free agents. And in the FOF4 game, as we are playing it, that seems to mostly mean:

top-grade quarterbacks (if we get the chance)
top-grade receivers
top-grade offenisve linemen
starting-caliber defensive ends
starting-caliber cornerbacks
real standouts at just abouut any position

That's generally the way I look at early picks in FOF4. With this 3rd rounder and beyond, we're probably past looking at stars and so forth - but some of the same principles apply. All things close to equal, it makes more sense to get a contributor at CB or WR here, rather than (say) another OG or another LB -- as those positions just seem to be so easily replaceable.

That's my momentary sermon... for what it's worth.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 09:56 AM   #254
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
I think he may have already identified a candidate in Eric Mixon.

I think he's be splendid, but I fear that his weight might make him impractical to switch over. I don't know what the upper limit might be... butu if it works well with guys around 200 lbs (as I believe to be true) then 218 has to be a penalty spot to some degree.

Most of the obvious RB-to-WR candidates looked a little chunky on first inspection.

Kendrick Ellison - 210 lbs
Jimmie Sanderson - 210 lbs
Joseph McConnell - 205 lbs (but looks phony to me)
Dan Rodgers - 217 lbs

I'd still liek too take a shot with one of these guys, but I don't think it's worth risking this pick to do so.

Maybe someone's earlier idea to trade down makes sense here?

Last edited by QuikSand : 10-08-2003 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:01 AM   #255
cuervo72
Head Coach

Well, if you consider Hartzell was 231, and our own Sanderson is 217, if height doesn't play into it at all there might not be much of a penalty. I'd take a look at some of the other WR weights, but I'm going to be tied up for a little while. Even if it knocks him to 80% (from the 50's to around 40), might it still be a worthy gamble?

edit: Rob Strong for instance would convert at 77% according to our scout.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 10-08-2003 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:03 AM   #256
QuikSand
lolzcat

If we had to make the pick right now, I think I'd cats my vote for S Alex Hastongs, who has very solid cover skills -- good enough to play some corner for us if we needed him. Having him around as the contracts of CB Perry and CB Devitt expire might be a decent insurance policy that we have adequate coverage skills in our secondary. However, I do not see him as a future contributor at safety per se - just not enough skill in stopping the run. I do not think he can comfortably switch to the CB position - I'd just recommend we carry him as a S and use him more or less as a reserve CB.

Some ups and downs, but I like him enough to recommend him. He also, for what it's worth, would have an affinity with S Hawkins, our current position leader, and also with S McNair, who seems to be "on deck" for that role in the future.

Last edited by QuikSand : 10-08-2003 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:06 AM   #257
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
Well, if you consider Hartzell was 231, and our own Sanderson is 217, if height doesn't play into it at all there might not be much of a penalty. I'd take a look at some of the other WR weights, but I'm going to be tied up for a little while. Even if it knocks him to 80% (from the 50's to around 40), might it still be a worthy gamble?

edit: Rob Strong for instance would convert at 77% according to our scout.

I don't think that weight matters much for players who are already within a position... we routinely see pretty decent LBs who are 210-220 lbs, and who don't even qualify in theory to play LB. As long as their ratings are fine, the weight doesn't matter - it's just a random number. The only time it makes a difference is when you actually switch positions.

I'm willing to give it a shot, but my confidence is lower than with the defensive positions (which I think I understand pretty well). I'd rather take the risks with a lower pick... assuming we have a plan with this one (which doesn't seem airtight at the moment).
Old 10-08-2003, 10:08 AM   #258
QuikSand
lolzcat

Then again... Mixon is 2nd on the current list of RBs (and he is pretty comfortably the best of the lot of potential RB-to-WR guys to attempt). We probably don't see him in two rounds... well, almost certainly we don't. I could be talked into this, despite my reservations.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:09 AM   #259
QuikSand
lolzcat

As a refresher… since I keep looking back to this…
Code:
The four affinity groups are: Aries, Gemini, Scorpio Sagittarius, Leo, Virgo Pisces, Taurus, Cancer Aquarius, Libra, Capricorn And the six pairs of opposed signs are: Aries - Aquarius Taurus - Libra Gemini - Virgo Scorpio - Pisces Capricorn - Leo Cancer - Sagittarius

And our CURRENT position leaders are:
Code:
FB - Kowalski - Aquarius - Backfield Leader TE - Diana - Taurus - Receivers Leader LT - Johns - Aquarius - Offensive Line Leader LDE - Littlejohn - Leo - Defensive Front Leader SS - Hawkins - Cancer - Secondary Leader
Old 10-08-2003, 10:33 AM   #260
Buzzbee
College Starter

If we can't find a guy who stands out as one we want to take, and the ones we have our eye on look like they will slide, then it might not be a bad idea to slide down in the draft.

QS - Where are we on existing players who are out of contract that we will probably re-sign? I think P Saldana is a good example of what I'm talking about. Other than him, are there many? Likewise, where are we numbers wise - meaning are there any spots (WR?) where we need players to get to minimum roster numbers? And total players, where are we on that.

Just trying to get a feel for how many players we still need, and how many we plan to fill outside the draft. Might help justify trading down or even trading a group of lower picks for a higher one next year.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:40 AM   #261
Buzzbee
College Starter

Also, in regard to a RB to WR conversion, I was throwing that out there as a possibility since WR talent seems to deplete quickly, but RB talent seems to linger. With QS's propensity to, and ability in filling holes unconventionally (don't know if Mrs. Quik should be happy or sad) I thought a RB to WR conversion might make sense.

Would it be a possible good play to draft one of the talented RB's and just leave them as RB, but use them in a fill-in WR mode?
Old 10-08-2003, 11:10 AM   #262
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
To recap what I want from rookies:

1 QB
1 FB
1 TE
3 WR
1 G
1 C

Of course, I expect some these to be cut before the season
Old 10-08-2003, 11:11 AM   #263
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
hmm, No RB to WR conversion for me please
Old 10-08-2003, 11:34 AM   #264
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
hmm, No RB to WR conversion for me please

Meaning you don't want a RB who would play at WR? (I get that sense already... after our bickering over Rob Strong)

Or you don't want a WR who was originally listed as a RB?

Or both?
Old 10-08-2003, 11:37 AM   #265
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
Meaning you don't want a RB who would play at WR? (I get that sense already... after our bickering over Rob Strong)

Or you don't want a WR who was originally listed as a RB?

Or both?

I would prefer to not do position swapping between RB and WR. I don't think you get much of a WR out of it, and the guy can no longer slot as a RB.

I don't mind slotting a RB as a WR to cover for an injury, but my observation is that even a good pass catching RB is only a so-so WR.

edit:

This is the only place where I am reluctant to swap or play out of position. Everywere else it seems to work okay.

Last edited by Fritz : 10-08-2003 at 11:38 AM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 11:38 AM   #266
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee
QS - Where are we on existing players who are out of contract that we will probably re-sign? I think P Saldana is a good example of what I'm talking about. Other than him, are there many? Likewise, where are we numbers wise - meaning are there any spots (WR?) where we need players to get to minimum roster numbers? And total players, where are we on that.

I'd say that we will likely re-sign:

TE Bernard Wayne
C Carlton Cicci
G Marco Trask
P Van Saldana

I can't currently see the contract demands of G Rufus Peterson, but I don't think we've ever talked about retaining him - not even Fritz.

Those four, plus our three remaining draft picks, would bring us to 53 total players. Additional URFA signees woudl be expectted to comopete for spots on the roster, getting them at the expense of someone from that list of 53.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:39 AM   #267
cuervo72
Head Coach

You know, there's an easy way to settle this
Old 10-08-2003, 11:41 AM   #268
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

I thought I mentioned Peterson early on. That would give us an outstanding position at G.

I think I would rather have a rook than Cici. For some reason I don;t like him much, but that may be the name.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:42 AM   #269
QuikSand
lolzcat

Actually, the guy in this draft who might make the most seamless transition to WR might be a fullback. Wendell Buehrig is only 207 lbs, remarkably lithesome for a fullback (I'm thinking Woodrow Dantzler here), and pretty close to the "wheelhouse" for a switch to WR. His ratings in pass-catching areas are pretty good (most potentials around 80) - if h eretained 3/4 of those numbers in the transition, he'd probably be worth a third round pick.

Risky... but his weight makes him a better candidate for the switch than any of the top RBs, including Mixon. (I confess that I have never attempted the FB-to-WR switch in any career, so I don't have any idea if there's anything hard-wired in the game to prevent this from working... it's possible that there is, and we'd only be able to consider switches to RB or TE, perhaps)
Old 10-08-2003, 11:43 AM   #270
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
I think I would rather have a rook than Cici. For some reason I don;t like him much, but that may be the name.

Maybe his name "Carlton" conjures up an image of a doorman... not exactly what you're looking for in an OL.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:45 AM   #271
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Actually, the guy in this draft who might make the most seamless transition to WR might be a fullback. Wendell Buehrig is only 207 lbs, remarkably lithesome for a fullback (I'm thinking Woodrow Dantzler here), and pretty close to the "wheelhouse" for a switch to WR. His ratings in pass-catching areas are pretty good (most potentials around 80) - if h eretained 3/4 of those numbers in the transition, he'd probably be worth a third round pick.

Risky... but his weight makes him a better candidate for the switch than any of the top RBs, including Mixon. (I confess that I have never attempted the FB-to-WR switch in any career, so I don't have any idea if there's anything hard-wired in the game to prevent this from working... it's possible that there is, and we'd only be able to consider switches to RB or TE, perhaps)

I have seen FB that can swap to WR.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:46 AM   #272
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Maybe his name "Carlton" conjures up an image of a doorman... not exactly what you're looking for in an OL.

Cici would be worth it if will take a 3 year deal and does not ask for much. The 3 year deal would make him very attractive.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:55 AM   #273
QuikSand
lolzcat

Memphis is willing to trade up (they lack a pick in round four) - they will give us their picks in rounds 5 and 6 for our pick here in late round three.

I say we take this deal, and use those later picks (rounds 5,5,6 and 7) to get a handful of prospects... the WR Fritz has already identified, maybe one of these RBs we've discussed, perhaps a QB.

I don't think we're getting much value for this pick in round three... as is evident by our inability to feel strongly in favor of anyone at all.

Last edited by QuikSand : 10-08-2003 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:03 PM   #274
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Memphis is willing to trade up (they lack a pick in round four) - they will give us their picks in rounds 5 and 6 for our pick here in late round three.

I say we take this deal, and use those later picks (rounds 5,5,6 and 7) to get a handful of prospects... the WR Fritz has already identified, maybe one of these RBs we've discussed, perhaps a QB.

I don't think we're getting much value for this pick in round three... as is evident by our inability to feel strongly in favor of anyone at all.

I agree. I will support whatever the team does for the later half of the draft.

Converting a FB to WR does intrigue me.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 12:08 PM   #275
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

I just want that WR. please make it happen somehow.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:09 PM   #276
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:

Reminds me of Carlton on "Fresh Prince of Bel Air". Definitely not what I picture in an OL.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:10 PM   #277
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Cici would be worth it if will take a 3 year deal and does not ask for much. The 3 year deal would make him very attractive.

One thing to consider is his Leadership. A long term deal might bite us in the butt if anything happens to Johns.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:11 PM   #278
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:

I'm ok with it.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:13 PM   #279
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee
One thing to consider is his Leadership. A long term deal might bite us in the butt if anything happens to Johns.

I think we have another T in front of him.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:14 PM   #280
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

BTW all, I like the new G you guys brought in from FA.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:20 PM   #281
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, we move along in the draft…

Code:
95. Memphis - Adams, Louis, DT, Northern Illinois 96. Fort Knox - Van Pelt, Alvin, ILB, Syracuse 97. Mazatlan - Bolt, Gus, FB, Marshall 98. Ocean City - Coates, Chuck, T, Southern Methodist 99. Niagara Falls - Harding, Mickey, G, Southern California 100. Thunder Bay - Cote, Phillip, C, Kansas State 101. Fort Wayne - Buehrig, Wendell, FB, Louisiana - Monroe 102. Wheeling - Thurman, Kenyon, CB, Brigham Young 103. Champaign - Maxwell, Walt, OLB, Florida 104. Tulsa - Poles, Ray, CB, Brown 105. Ypsilanti - Peterson, O.J., T, Boston College 106. Providence - Newman, Duane, OLB, Murray State 107. Norfolk - Brennan, Bernard, CB, Boston College 108. Tijuana - Janssen, Jesse, K, Georgia Tech 109. Sacramento - Shillingford, Mo, FB, Wisconsin 110. Bermuda - Springer, Wendell, ILB, Southern California 111. Athens - Shores, Lester, WR, Louisville 112. Texarkana - Tongue, Alan, CB, Rice 113. Providence - Ellis, Corey, OLB, Notre Dame 114. Napa Valley - Buckley, Jamal, QB, Western Michigan 115. Key West - Pritchett, Ryan, G, Louisville 116. Manhattan - Cox, Dana, WR, Air Force 117. Death Valley - Lazarek, Graham, WR, Bowling Green 118. Puget Sound - Hastings, Alex, S, Robert Morris 119. Louisville - Long, Victor, S, Northwestern 120. Little Rock - Ellis, Stephen, WR, Missouri 121. Hawk Mountain - Curtis, Julio, WR, Boise State 122. Bermuda - Conway, Antoine, TE, Southern Methodist 123. Cheyenne - Huang, Bucky, WR, Kansas State 124. Lake Erie - Norris, Walter, QB, Arkansas 125. Nashua - Church, Aaron, OLB, Southern California 126. Sault Ste. Marie - Curry, Julio, CB, Minnesota 127. Mazatlan - Moore, J.C., WR, Rice 128. Tijuana - Sturgeon, Nick, DE, Bowling Green 129. Mazatlan - Gaines, Xavier, WR, North Texas 130. Ocean City - Coles, Arnie, G, Air Force 131. Niagara Falls - Brandon, Edgar, CB, Mississippi State 132. Thunder Bay - Sloan, Michael, G, Ohio State 133. Fort Wayne - Claybrooks, Brandon, CB, Oregon 134. Wheeling - Browning, Patrick, FB, Penn State 135. Champaign - Turnbull, Walt, G, Oklahoma 136. Tulsa - Brock, Burt, FB, Tulane 137. Ypsilanti - Sonntag, Damon, T, Lehigh 138. Providence - Holliday, Roman, S, UCLA 139. Norfolk - Horiszny, Craig, C, Tulane 140. Tijuana - Fleming, Eugene, QB, Iowa State 141. Sacramento - Sliva, Renaldo, OLB, Northern Illinois 142. Bermuda - Stinnett, Joseph, WR, Memphis 143. Athens - Collier, Nate, WR, East Carolina 144. Texarkana - Feusse, Ernest, S, North Texas 145. Pensacola - Cortez, Lorenzo, OLB, Elizabeth City St. 146. Napa Valley - Shaw, Deon, P, Maryland 147. Key West - Stavrinos, Kennedy, FB, Oklahoma 148. Manhattan - Trimble, Alfred, DE, Army 149. Death Valley - Barnes, Rich, OLB, Connecticut 150. Puget Sound - Bradford, Kennedy, S, Illinois 151. Louisville - Baillargeon, Neil, DT, Miami, Florida 152. Little Rock - May, Travis, S, Notre Dame 153. Hawk Mountain - Zelenka, Brian, WR, Brigham Young 154. Kitty Hawk - Jefferson, Chad, WR, North Carolina 155. Cheyenne - Reader, Morris, OLB, Michigan 156. Lake Erie - Matich, Joey, TE, Memphis 157. Nashua - Berry, Bubba, S, Marshall 158. Sault Ste. Marie - Kriewaldt, Byron, OLB, Colorado State 159. Kitty Hawk - Ellison, Kendrick, RB, Penn State 160. Sault Ste. Marie - Lyon, Arnie, T, North Carolina 161. Mazatlan - Dow, Travis, OLB, Louisiana State 162. Ocean City - Fruth, Ross, G, Maryland 163. Niagara Falls - Pearson, Quentin, S, Furman 164. Thunder Bay - Cooley, Rod, WR, Florida State 165. Fort Wayne - Mickell, Donny, G, Texas 166. Wheeling - Kirk, Frank, WR, Maryland 167. Champaign - Hudson, Robbie, G, Army 168. Tulsa - Brehm, Joel, DT, Nevada 169. Ypsilanti - Dillon, Seth, K, Notre Dame 170. Providence - Labbe, Donnell, S, Wisconsin 171. Norfolk - Peters, Ty, TE, Army 172. Tijuana - Daehnke, Jonathan, DE, Fresno State 173. Sacramento - Whalen, Conrad, QB, Ohio State 174. Bermuda - Mark, Jack, K, Marist 175. Athens - Horsley, Edwin, DE, Northern Arizona 176. Texarkana - Stanton, Wally, DE, Northern Illinois 177. Pensacola - Shannon, Antonio, G, Bowling Green 178. Napa Valley - Pustell, Ernie, RB, Brigham Young 179. Key West - Flaherty, Lewis, DT, Texas - El Paso 180. Manhattan - Gillespie, Leon, S, Ohio State 181. Napa Valley - Maese, Bo, CB, Missouri 182. Puget Sound - King, Melvin, DT, Virginia Tech 183. Louisville - Sanderson, Matthew, G, Louisiana-Lafayette 184. Little Rock - Curtis, Johnny, DT, Rutgers 185. Hawk Mountain - Solymos, Morris, DT, Northwestern

I am pleasantly surprised to see basically all the same RBs we were considering in round three still on the board, and so after following the OC edict, I grabbed the lightest among them (Ellison) with an eye on shifting him to play WR. I have made the position switches for both rookie players who needed them, and both have turned out well (actually, very well). I believe our coordinators will find work for DE Sam Upton and WR Kendrick Ellison.

We’re up to the sixth round now – with two more draft picks remaining. Files on their way.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:22 PM   #282
QuikSand
lolzcat

File update #1
Old 10-08-2003, 12:23 PM   #283
QuikSand
lolzcat

File #2
Old 10-08-2003, 12:24 PM   #284
QuikSand
lolzcat

I am floored to see how much apparent talent remains at RB (though I shouldn't be) and am convinced that the best player available is still RB Eric Mixon. I am on the record as being dubious about his switch to WR, but at this point... is it worth a shot?

I don't see anyone on defense with anywher near his potential... especially if we just kept him at RB and used him as a fill-in at either RB or WR. Anyone?
Old 10-08-2003, 12:26 PM   #285
QuikSand
lolzcat

Best defensive player left is possibly ILB Kurt Moe, who would also be an affinity guy. But LBs are a bit like RBs... dime a dozen (and I think we have our dime's worth at both positions).
Old 10-08-2003, 12:27 PM   #286
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
BTW all, I like the new G you guys brought in from FA.

I'm glad you like him. You and I seem to be butting heads a little bit lately, so I'm happy I was able to find someone we both like (I'm assuming you mean Jerry Johnson - I think he is the Cowboy's Anti-Christ). Here's a toast!
Old 10-08-2003, 12:29 PM   #287
QuikSand
lolzcat

Other possibles:

T Ray Cole
DT Kelvin Palmer
DE Thomas Williamson
QB Cary Collins
CB Cornell Wright
Old 10-08-2003, 12:29 PM   #288
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
I am floored to see how much apparent talent remains at RB (though I shouldn't be) and am convinced that the best player available is still RB Eric Mixon. I am on the record as being dubious about his switch to WR, but at this point... is it worth a shot?

I don't see anyone on defense with anywher near his potential... especially if we just kept him at RB and used him as a fill-in at either RB or WR. Anyone?

Hmmm. Think he could switch to Safety?

At this point I don't think we have much to lose in trying the RB experiment. With the trade down with Memphis, we'll basically have 54 players (if we do in fact sign those current roster players QS listed). Therefore the last pick is sortof a throwaway in my mind.

{EDIT: Had to clarify so that you wouldn't think I was serious about converting Mixon to Safety.}

Last edited by Buzzbee : 10-08-2003 at 12:30 PM.
Buzzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 12:40 PM   #289
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, I'm ouut of contact for a while - so you all can take it from here.

My thinking is laid out above, basically - I don't think there is anyone left in the draft who really helps us at any of our true "need" areas... if we really have any of them. (I think we're overstating the panic at DB)

So, I might take the best-looking RB here, or perhaps let Fritz go fishing at QB if there's someone he thinks fits. (I have done no chemistry homework, either - so some of these guys are probably off the table, too)

Hope all goes well... see you (back here) in a few days.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:41 PM   #290
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Quote:

can he move to a DB position?

edit: I should read all the posts before responding

-------
We can get the right QB after the draft.

Last edited by Fritz : 10-08-2003 at 12:42 PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 01:17 PM   #291
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

I say we take Mixon.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:49 PM   #292
Buzzbee
College Starter

I'm ok with a RB, or with whoever the OC and DC prefer. I don't think these two picks will make or break the draft and can be used on a project, or to fill roster positions with hopeful contributors.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:13 PM   #293
Buzzbee
College Starter

One issue with Mixon is his leadership. It is 82 and with a little experience would put him as a position leader. I don't think we want him as a starter his whole football career.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:31 PM   #294
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

I just don't see how to use him. His copntract will probably be three year, so as a RB he will only see 1 active year barring injuries. Could we just find a WR at the same pick if all we plan to do is convert him?

How about a good player for albionmoonlinght? I am sure he could use more.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:25 PM   #295
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
I just don't see how to use him. His copntract will probably be three year, so as a RB he will only see 1 active year barring injuries. Could we just find a WR at the same pick if all we plan to do is convert him?

How about a good player for albionmoonlinght? I am sure he could use more.

I'm all for a WR and a defensive player. To me they all pretty much look the same at this point, so if you find one that strikes your fancy, go for it.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:36 PM   #296
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

If there are some LB out there worth looking at, perhaps one would slide to S.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:13 AM   #297
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
If there are some LB out there worth looking at, perhaps one would slide to S.

Not a bad thought, but it doesn't look like there's much out there.

Regarding Mixon, if we officially were to switch his position, what numbers would you want out of it to think it was worthwhile? The highest natural WR on the board has a potential of 42.

You figure with this guy, Avoid Drops, Getting Downfield, Route Running, 3rd Down Catching, Avoid Fumbles, P/K Returns and Endurance will stay about the same, maybe with a little dropoff. The new things to be added would be Big-play, courage, and adjust to ball. I don't know what happens to some of his strongpoints, such as breakaway speed, elusiveness and speed to the outside. I imagine he would still have these attributes, they just aren't displayed for receivers.

Buzzbee does have a point about leadership though, he'd probably immediately be a leader at WR, or soon would be at RB.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:23 AM   #298
Buzzbee
College Starter

So it looks like we are leaning toward filling the WR and Safety spot, but the question remains "How best to fill those positions?"

Since Frtiz is OC and prefers a straight up WR as opposed to a converted RB, lets look for a WR. Fritz, are there any particular attributes you are looking for? Or are there any WR's you have found that you like?

In regard to Safety, converting a LB might be a good move. LB seems to be an area where there is some decent talent leftover, and drafting another S won't hurt. Are there any true Safeties that are intriguing, and if not, what size LB has the best chance to convert well?
Old 10-09-2003, 08:28 AM   #299
cuervo72
Head Coach

Well, looking at the guys on the team already, Percy Rapp (232) would not be able to convert, but Howie Boyd (225) would. So I'd guess the limit would be either 225 or 230.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:10 AM   #300
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Go ahead, draft Mixion and convert him to SE. What can it hurt?