Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-21-2020, 06:05 PM   #1
dischokie
n00b

Coaching Nathan Peterman - A Data Analytics and Machine Learning Dynasty

So, I’ve been playing FOF since the first edition and have been a long time lurker in the forum. My wife and I recently moved to Cleveland, OH (we love it by the way) from Atlanta and while I look for a data analyst job I thought it might be fun to run a dynasty I’ve been thinking about for a while.

What would happen if I took one of the worst quarterbacks in NFL history, and did everything I could to minimize his effect on the outcome of games. In order to do that I’d have to optimize every other aspect of the team. Roster building, play calling, game planning, etc.

I’ve been playing this game forever, but in a very casual way. I’ve never really analyzed what is actually going on in the game. That will change with this dynasty. I have the data skills to figure out at least some of the questions I’ve been thinking about. And, I hope to build some new skills by answering some questions I don’t yet know how to answer.

This is the quarterback I will build my franchise around.

Peterman.png - Google Drive

As for dynasty rules, there is only one. If healthy, Nathan Peterman must be the starting quarterback for my team. Other than that, all bets are off.

So, we’ll see how this goes. I’ll be posting the analytics results here or on github. At first, I’ll try to answer some basic questions like what does each position player do? For example, I have no idea in a base 3-4 what the possible assignments are for the WILB. Does he ever play man coverage? My guess is no, but I have no idea. If I was able to figure that out it would help with roster construction.

Eventually, I’d like to build a model where I could predict the optimal route tree of a given wide receiver based on his ratings. Can this guy run 3 routes really well? Or five?

Some of you probably already know the answers to these questions or you might have already posted about these topics. If that’s the case I apologize, I’m going to try and take a novice approach here because after all, I have to overcome Nathan Peterman.

dischokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:40 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dischokie View Post
I have to overcome Nathan Peterman.

As a Vols fan during Peterman's time there, all I can say is "good luck"
Old 01-22-2020, 02:09 AM   #3
tzach
High School JV

you will find some interesting things. have fun!
tzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:10 AM   #4
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Bills fan here...

You've got me hook, line and sinker with that last sentence!
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote