Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-28-2009, 02:32 AM   #501
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Right now all the duke gets to do is break ties. The duke ability is only gained when someone is believed

You're right. In which case, what you're proposing in order to trust dubb makes even less sense, because the action by which you propose that a Duke would take care of a non-Duke dubb is by that very lynch power you're now noting the real Duke doesn't have.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:33 AM   #502
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
No, that is your read on what he's doing, and stop saying I wasn't around. I have read through all that, and I know what happened. I don't interpret his play the way you are.

I posted that before your post saying you read through. If you interpret different then we can agree to disagree.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:33 AM   #503
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
You're right. In which case, what you're proposing in order to trust dubb makes even less sense, because the action by which you propose that a Duke would take care of a non-Duke dubb is by that very lynch power you're now noting the real Duke doesn't have.

No, but he has the power to reveal and have the village take care of Dubb
Old 05-28-2009, 02:35 AM   #504
Danny
Head Coach

At least someone is online to disagree with you though
Old 05-28-2009, 02:35 AM   #505
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dubb is too smart a player to make that poor a play as a regular villager. He knows he doesn't actually need to claim that he is the duke and reclaim it at every opportunity when others say he is not. Hoops or PB aren't actually claiming to be the real seer or BG (except for game purposes)

I don't regard it as a poor play by a villager to try to gain a valuable role for the village.

dubb's play struck me from the start as an effort to be believed to be the Duke. He has done nothing to prove he is indeed the Duke. Any of us could have made the exact same moves dubb did, posted the exact same thing and ended up with today's results.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:37 AM   #506
Danny
Head Coach

But what is there to gain from that? We are no more likely to believe him as the duke for game purposes just because he is truly RPing that he is the duke. We will make the best decision from a game logic standpoint.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:37 AM   #507
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, but he has the power to reveal and have the village take care of Dubb

Then dubb comes out and says exactly what I am saying--that he was only intending to go for the believed role. And then we lose any gains from the real Duke remaining hidden, as well as eliminating the possibility of the believed Duke. Not exactly a great play by the real Duke.

Sorry, there are compelling reasons for the Duke to remain hidden at this point, regardless of dubb's play.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:38 AM   #508
Danny
Head Coach

If that happened and Dubb claimed that, I would vote him and not move off him no matter what he said as to me It's obvious he is not claiming the role simply for believing purposes and anything he said would be backtracking.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:39 AM   #509
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But what is there to gain from that? We are no more likely to believe him as the duke for game purposes just because he is truly RPing that he is the duke. We will make the best decision from a game logic standpoint.

Why not? You clearly believe he is the duke. Why would you not vote him in as the believed duke? There is much to gain--the ability for the believed Duke to control the lynch. This is not a play that someone would unquestionably avoid making as a villager, particularly a vanilla villager.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:40 AM   #510
Danny
Head Coach

I do understand what you are saying, we just interpreted his posts differently.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:40 AM   #511
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If that happened and Dubb claimed that, I would vote him and not move off him no matter what he said as to me It's obvious he is not claiming the role simply for believing purposes and anything he said would be backtracking.

Obvious to you. Not obvious to me at all. I think he's playing a role.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:41 AM   #512
Danny
Head Coach

Which leads back to our original interpretations. We would both play off of that to make our decision
Old 05-28-2009, 02:45 AM   #513
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I do understand what you are saying, we just interpreted his posts differently.

Agreed, and I understand where you're coming from, too. I just think you're dealing in absolutes, using your assumption to extend trust to dubb that has not been earned by dubb, and that in fact any one of us, including a wolf, could post and garner your trust. You're assuming too much, and IMO, you need to more carefully look at the possibilities here before rejecting them wholesale in a trust move for dubb.

When it comes to hard evidence, dubb has done nothing--not a single thing--to prove he is what he says he is, and I am arguing we need a heck of a lot more to go on before we place him in any COT.

FTR, I actually do believe dubb is a villager. That's not the point. This is about when it's right to extend trust. And dubb has done nothing to deserve any trust to this point, any more than anyone else in any case.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:46 AM   #514
Danny
Head Coach

I'm sticking with the simplest reasoning is the being the most likely. Having Dubb making that play as a vanilla villager, having the real duke not say anything and having the tiebreak the way of Dubb is not nearly as simple as Dubb just being the duke.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:46 AM   #515
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Which leads back to our original interpretations. We would both play off of that to make our decision

But you see, there are no consequences for what I am doing. I am saying he should not be any more trusted than anyone else.

There is considerable risk if you make your assumption, and he turns out to not be a villager.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:47 AM   #516
Danny
Head Coach

But I will leave open other possibilities if logic follows them as we go along.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:49 AM   #517
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm sticking with the simplest reasoning is the being the most likely. Having Dubb making that play as a vanilla villager, having the real duke not say anything and having the tiebreak the way of Dubb is not nearly as simple as Dubb just being the duke.

You realize that dubb himself set up the tie break with his vote, making a vote any of us could do, right? The tiebreaker, if the duke is not on one of the main candidates, is whoever of the main candidates got the latest vote. That was dubb's vote, as it turns out.

Occam's Razor is all good and fine when nothing's at risk. Placing someone deeply in your COT for that reason id a bit rash, though, at such an early point in the game, when the player in question hasn't done one thing any of us in the game could not do.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:49 AM   #518
Danny
Head Coach

Also, you are right about the tie thing. I originally planned to tie it with the vote on Lerriuqs to verify Dubb, but with the vote count mixup and my vote switch ended up not counting it didn't work out that way
Old 05-28-2009, 02:51 AM   #519
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But I will leave open other possibilities if logic follows them as we go along.

As will I. If an actual Duke act, or some actual evidence of dubb's Dukieness is confirmed, rather than just his say so, I am perfectly willing to believe he's the Duke. But he doesn't deserve that trust at this point, not on Night One.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:54 AM   #520
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also, you are right about the tie thing. I originally planned to tie it with the vote on Lerriuqs to verify Dubb, but with the vote count mixup and my vote switch ended up not counting it didn't work out that way

It was a fair plan, although not foolproof, as you could not know whether the real Duke (were it not dubb) also happened to have his or her vote on DT. All your plan would have proved is that the Duke is in the group that voted for DT (by disproving the second tiebreaker, it must be the first tiebreaker that settles it, as the second tiebreaker is irresolute--no two people can literally post at the same time, even if they hit Submit at the same moment, some programming logic will necessarily place one ahead of the other in the thread).

Old 05-28-2009, 02:55 AM   #521
Danny
Head Coach

True, so it wouldn't have 100% verified it, but made it more likely for the conclusion to be true.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:58 AM   #522
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
True, so it wouldn't have 100% verified it, but made it more likely for the conclusion to be true.

Absolutely. It would have made a conclusion about dubb's Duke role much more compelling.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:00 AM   #523
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, you're right, it is nice to have someone to chat WW with late at night, so that people don't have to suffer through the litany of Chief Rum "catchup" posts they usually get around this time.

Even if you're a Kings fan, meh.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:01 AM   #524
Danny
Head Coach

So with that, I am going to head to bed. Night Chief
Old 05-28-2009, 03:02 AM   #525
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
BTW, you're right, it is nice to have someone to chat WW with late at night, so that people don't have to suffer through the litany of Chief Rum "catchup" posts they usually get around this time.

Even if you're a Kings fan, meh.

Yeah, Kings, Lakers and Dodgers
Old 05-28-2009, 03:07 AM   #526
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, Kings, Lakers and Dodgers

Ducks, Clippers, Angels, heh. You're probably a Trojie fan, too, aren't ya? Weak.

'Night, Danny!

Old 05-28-2009, 06:15 AM   #527
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Man, note to self, get up at 2 am so I can hang out with Danny and CR.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:17 AM   #528
Barkeep49
Coordinator

In the morning when people gather for the opening session of the day you notice one of you isn't there. The hotel manager later lets you know that it seems like EagleFan was so harassed by phones call during the night he decided to leave. It appears he was nothing but a normal V.I.L.L.A.G.E.R.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:29 AM   #529
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I am really hoping that this is how the vote goes down today. Hoops, this isn't a slight against you, but:

Believe CR is seer
Old 05-28-2009, 06:30 AM   #530
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I asked and we can do it based on an earlier statement, don't need to wait for CR to make a new one.

Also, again, I'll block on CR tonight, would appreciate a BG block for me.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:38 AM   #531
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
I am really hoping that this is how the vote goes down today. Hoops, this isn't a slight against you, but:

Believe CR is seer

No offense taken, either with you getting BG yesterday or with believing Chief today. I don't think we made an optimal play yesterday but I'm done beating that dead horse as of now. I'll continue to maintain that we want to get a seer in place ASAP.

Actually, I'm not quite done beating that dead horse just yet - people do realize that the odds of electing a "wolf/bad" duke today are higher than they were yesterday? Assuming 4 wolves + cultist yesterday (no idea on ratios, but think they might be a bit higher than usual in this one) we had a 12/17 chance of a good election yesterday. Now we are down to 10/15 thanks to two dead villagers.

OK - now I'm done beating that dead horse.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:39 AM   #532
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I'm disappointed Hoops that you didn't at least use the smilie.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:43 AM   #533
saldana
Pro Starter

interesting choice in EagleFan as the night kill...he is usually lynched early, if i recall correctly, so eliminating someone that usually generates their own heat is an interesting move
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:45 AM   #534
hoopsguy
General Manager

Saldana, I was pretty surprised by it as well. Especially since he drew some votes yesterday. Maybe there is something in his posts to see? Best guess would be that they thought he had a major role that drove his BG urgency yesterday?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:29 AM   #535
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
Yes then it should.

lerriuqs 6 – USFLTecmo (246), Telle (304), MartinD (356), saldana (362), Lathum (376), Hoops (394),
DaddyTorgo 6 – lerriuqs (250), Danny (306), Racer (312), EagleFan (383), Tyrith (411), Dubb (420)
MartinD 1 – Schmidty (306)
EagleFan 2 – ntndeacon (366), PurdueBrad (375)
Schmidty 1 - Chief Rum (378)

Quote:

I will confirm I am NOT the Duke. EagleFan is dead so that leaves Dubb as one of four candidates that could possibly be the Duke, including Danny who is pushing the notion hard that Dubb is the Duke (so I would assume Danny isn't it either).
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #536
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
Then dubb comes out and says exactly what I am saying--that he was only intending to go for the believed role. And then we lose any gains from the real Duke remaining hidden, as well as eliminating the possibility of the believed Duke. Not exactly a great play by the real Duke.

Sorry, there are compelling reasons for the Duke to remain hidden at this point, regardless of dubb's play.

If he does that move we're gonna lynch him anyway. He has all of day 1 to fess up to that, he didn't, he's locked in now. That BS is not going to work at this point.
Tyrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #537
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Alright guys, I may have set us back a day. I have a pretty big plan to pull off. Here is what I need:

I am (and always have been) one of the two seers.

IF you believe me as seer today, I am guaranteed to be a valid seer AND can spot the cunning. I will lose the BG.

What I wanted to ensure was getting through last night so I could get one scan off, as you'll see why in a minute.

IF you believe me as seer today, the real BG guards me today, I get a scan off and make it public. Tomorrow, we make CR the other BG (I scanned him last night as good so I'll take the chance) and he protects me two days in a row (which he's allowed to do once). The other BG drops a protect on CR as I continue to scan and clear or scan and out wolves.

I really hope I'm not misplaying this but I *believe* this works. If you don't believe I'm a seer, I'll drop the post #'s where I hint at it.

The way this works:
N2- made real seer, guarded by real BG, I scan and share
N3- make trusted player (CR right now) BG, he guards me, I scan and share
N4- believed BG guards me again (he's allowed this once), I scan and share
N5- real BG guards me, I scan and share
N6- believed (or in case of nightkill, newly made/trusted BG) guards me, I scan and share

and so on.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:49 AM   #538
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

unbelieve CR as seer

believe PB as seer
Old 05-28-2009, 08:49 AM   #539
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

The other thing that this plan allows is the other seer to match their scans with mine to see if they are real/fake.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:57 AM   #540
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Here is my post list, those of you that have played with me before have seen (hehe) me do this twice I think. One day it'll really f me over:

Post #87- call myself something rare, say "see"
132- say "see" twice
210- say "looks", looking to self-defend
212- say "saw"
214- say "see"
260- say "see"
529- quick drop of believe on CR after getting scan result.

Like I said, I think I like what we've got. If CR becomes BG tomorrow, he can protect me and the real BG can guard him either tomorrow or the next (make them guess).
Old 05-28-2009, 09:00 AM   #541
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Ummmm, am I the ultimate thread kill or what?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:00 AM   #542
hoopsguy
General Manager

Not sure how much time I'll have today - think I'm going to be missing just about the entire day. So I'll put in a vote believing PurdueBrad for now.

I expect to be able to sneak in for a lynch vote, a second believe vote, and an unbelieve vote if there is a reason to do so. Just not sure when that will happen.

BELIEVE PURDUEBRAD
Old 05-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #543
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Hoops or anyone that is around, does this play make sense? I know it's a little late as I've backed us into a corner but curious what the read is on this.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:13 AM   #544
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
a second believe vote, and an unbelieve vote if there is a reason to do so.
BELIEVE PURDUEBRAD

Reminder, to make sure that I'm the real seer, I need to be the winner, not just 40%. Because of that, if you believe this will work, I HIGHLY recommend no second votes on anyone/anything else other than simply the lynch vote.

Oh yeah, and I've killed the thread again I think.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:13 AM   #545
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post

Only one person may be believed for a role at a time. Once believed a person can't be believed for any other role, UNLESS it was not that player's starting role and the actual person with the role dies. If that happens, the player who was believed falsely loses their powers. If a player is believed for a role that is not their own they will keep their starting powers, unless otherwise specified.

Your plan does not work.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #546
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Tyrith, BG was NOT my starting role or am I mis-reading that and that it has to be a BOTH maneuver? Although even if it has to be a both maneuver, then we can still make a seer tonight that I can guard, the BG guards me (we get two scans), tomorrow I self-guard, BG guards the believed seer (and we get two more scans) so all in all, that nets us a total of five scans (including my CR one).
Old 05-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #547
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I think it is a decent trade anyway. With 5 scans of 15 living players, I would think that we would hit at least one wolf. PLUS, the numbers will get narrowed down from nightkills. So I guess it still works, just in a different way.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:18 AM   #548
Tyrith
College Starter

We believed you as BG. As I read it, we can only believe you as another role if the starting BG dies. This is consistent with not being able to believe someone for a role that is already out of the game.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #549
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

That works, it still should let us get a big COT then. I've asked BK. IF I can't be believed for my starting role, then I recommend believing CR for seer and he and I can get us five scans before either of us is even possibly exposed to the wolves. So we can work together and get a NICE COT or outwolves OR both.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #550
USFLTecmo
H.S. Freshman Team

DISBELIEVE PB AS BG
BELIEVE PB AS SEER
USFLTecmo is offline   Reply With Quote