Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Moving across country $35,000 discounted 65% Is this normal?

Allright,

I'm once again coming to FOFC to ask for advice on a real life, non text sim, matter of some importance.

I'm heading up my church's search committee to find a new pastor. Well we've managed to do that. Now we are looking to move the fellow and his family across the United States from Pennsylvania to California. The moving company he talked with provided him a quote.

The quote came up to almost $35,000, then there was a 65% discount applied. That brings the total down to around $12,000. I'm not familiar with how moving companies do business. But I am aware that the moving business is a scam fest. Mostly I've heard of scams where the moving company picks up the load, then adds several thousand dollars to the bill, refusing to complete delivery until the bill is settled.

So I did my check out on the Better Business Bureau for the two companies involved in the move. The moving company has been around for almost twenty years, and is a member BBB for nearly that long. The van line has been around for under five years, and has been a member of the BBB for the last three or so years. Both have had a small number of complaints issued over the last three years. Something like two or three each. Some of the complaints have been resolved, some administratively closed. This seems to be acceptable to me, but honestly that $35,000 quote with a discount applied has me scared.

Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Read this and then follow his advice
http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/2003/06/05/

And then be sure to read the tips at moving.org too.

And, from another Clark column
There are several different scams out there, but one of the most common we hear about involves the bait-and-switch of moving quotes. A moving broker or broker’s representative gives you a quote on how much a move is going to cost. Then, when the movers actually get there, you’re told it’s going to cost much more.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It wouldnt suprise me if it was 12K, and then they try to hit you with some backend Fuel Surcharge.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:32 PM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Hrmm... Moving companies always make me nervous too.

Lady H_B and I just moved from D.C. to Detroit. The cost for our move was around $7,000. That price included putting our stuff in storage for 2 months. I imagine if the movers had just picked up stuff up, packed it, moved it, and then unpacked it, then it would have been cheaper. We had to pay for them to unload our stuff into storage, the storage costs, and then re-loading from storage into the truck. In fact, they are unloading the truck as I write this...

How big is this guy's family? That would influence the cost considerable. Larger family = more stuff = heavier load = more money.

You may want to ask him to get another quote. It can't hurt.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Check out this site. It also has its own blacklist.
http://movingscam.com/
Old 03-30-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Also, we ended up paying around 2 grand or so less than our original estimate. Well, when I say me, I mean my new company.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:38 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What about Pod's? Looks like the first 16' one from PA to CA would be expensive, but after that they decrease pretty quickly. I guess that doesnt account for the actual movers however.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:52 PM   #8
miked
College Starter

Actually, if it makes you feel any better, I'm moving from Boston to Atlanta and I just got my quote. I have an estimated 3900lbs or something (one bedroom apt in Boston, and some stuff to pick up at the in-laws in Lawrenceville). My quote came back at about $10,000 then a 60something% discount to $3800 (not to exceed $4200). I don't know if that's because the University is paying the movers directly and they have some deal worked out. But as long as the BBB comes up pretty clean, you should be ok. Make sure they include a *not to exceed* number.

Last edited by miked : 03-30-2006 at 03:52 PM.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:55 PM   #9
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'll be getting a couple of estimates for our upcoming move (Tallahassee to Lexington) and hope they come in at or below $5K. That's what the firm is giving me.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:00 PM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
Check out this site. It also has its own blacklist.
http://movingscam.com/

I read the "true story" behind that site...

I'm never moving cross-country. The east coast will now always be my friend.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:02 PM   #11
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
I read the "true story" behind that site...

I'm never moving cross-country. The east coast will now always be my friend.

Yep, that is why I would rather move myself. Too many bad cheating arse bastards.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:32 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The "true story" made my stomache twinge.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:33 PM   #13
BuffaloHuskey
Mascot

I would not look too deep into the discount. Often companies have list prices that are artificially inflated and then they present you with a large discount to try to make you think they are giving you a good deal. I would say that $12,000 is a bit much. I would call on your own to see if you can get some other quotes from other reputable companies.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:15 PM   #14
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

check the forums on that site. or just post in there where you are at and i'd be willing to bet that people will be able to steer you towards someone reputable.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:48 PM   #15
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
check the forums on that site. or just post in there where you are at and i'd be willing to bet that people will be able to steer you towards someone reputable.

Good point...I should have posted the links to the reputable sites that they suggested to us since we are moving as well.

These are the companies you use if you pack it yourself and have them move it:
http://www.broadwayexpress.net/
http://www.upack.com/

If you want to move all the stuff yourself, this company has the best vehicles:
http://www.pensketruckrental.com/
Old 03-30-2006, 11:56 PM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Penske actually looks kind of reasonable, like 2k or so for a PA-Cali move for a 26 foot truck. Granted fuel is probably going to be in the neighborhood of a grand. If you found people willing to fly out to PA, help him pack, and then drive the truck cross country(granted that may be a big question mark, but would be a good bonding excersie), you're looking at probably less than 5k, and you won't have the "getting screwed" factor involved.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:33 AM   #17
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Sears pulled the same thing with my vinyl replacement window estimate. Home Depot will be coming out in a couple of weeks to do the work. I hate business practices like that, although at least they told you the "discount" up front instead of waiting until you balked at the price, in which case they're playing the "car salesman" game and trying to gouge everyone they can...
Old 04-10-2006, 01:13 PM   #18
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Following the instructions from the sites above. And I'm starting to grind the guy on price and his estimate.

Thanks for the advice...I'll keep ya posted.

Oh and the Penske avenue isn't strictly off the table yet.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote