Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-05-2006, 07:46 PM   #101
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Green Day was another band that "crossed over" and I don't hear many bands cite them as influential.

Green Day fucking ROCKS!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:51 PM   #102
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood
Nirvana were more important for what they achived than their music. Their songs were good, but they, for whatever reason, managed to get alternative rock played on mainstream radio and on MTV. Remember, even MTV in the late 80s was not an alternative outlet as it is now, they played the same hair-rock and cheese-pop that commercial radio in the US was playing at the time. Nirvana changed that and kickstarted a movement that got bands that previously would've otherwise toiled for years playing small venues and releasing under-the-radar EPs, out into the mainstream arena. Regardless of whether theur music was masterful or not (I am of the opinion that they were solid but not spectacular) that is why Kobain was so important and why I agree with HA that Nevermind is one of the 10 most important rock albums ever.

Gotta agree with almost everything in this post.

Nirvana was a solid band whose subsequent reputation for being geniuses rests largely on the pseudo-romantic tortured-artist suicide of Cobain.

They were very much in the right place at the right time, though, playing alternative music that was just melodic enough to make it on the radio and on MTV, and expressing an angst that fit perfectly with 1990-1992.

Their main significance was in opening doors for other bands that sold far fewer records, but that would ultimately be more influential on other musicians (Pavement and Sebadoh come to mind.)
Old 04-05-2006, 07:54 PM   #103
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
Green Day fucking ROCKS!!

They may rock, but it would be hard to deny, I think, that they are very derivative: take the Clash, add more melody and some pop hooks, retain just enough of a sneer for some punk credibility, and you've got Green Day.

Kurt Cobain would have hated Green Day.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #104
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

Meh, I was only born in 1988, so I wasn't around for all this crap. BUT, I own Bleach, Nevermind, Insesticide, In Utero, and Unplugged, and love them all very much.

So chalk up whatever part of their success to his suicide or being at the right place at the right time, but I just listen to and enjoy their music, and I didn't start listening to them until about 8 years after he killed himself, and I don't even realize he killed himself when I listen to their music. I just like their music.

And Green Day is in my top 5 favorite bands.
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:34 PM   #105
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
dola, The Clash - now they were amazing. Before my time - but wow.

exactly

Cobain sure as hell was no Joe Strummer. Not even close. That is all.
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #106
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

You people take music very seriously.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #107
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
You people take music very seriously.

Except those touting Green Day.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:47 PM   #108
Groundhog
Coordinator

I've never much liked Nirvana or had any urge to give them a try, though I do like their Unplugged CD for whatever reason. I did always like Pearl Jam though, because I think Pearl Jam did a similar thing to Nirvana but they did it much better and with a LOT more variety.

Having said that, there is no way you can say that Nirvana weren't important in terms of what they did for their style of music, but in 100 years time I don't think they will register as much more than a curious blip on the music time chart from this period - right up there with every other group that introduces the next music-fad.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #109
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Except those touting Green Day.
That is the funniest, most accurate statement I think I've ever seen from you in like five years.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:14 PM   #110
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny
exactly

Cobain sure as hell was no Joe Strummer. Not even close. That is all.

you know, there's a great line about the Clash - people weren't kidding when they called them the "only band that mattered."
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:15 PM   #111
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
That is the funniest, most accurate statement I think I've ever seen from you in like five years.

You are a very hard man to please. Hopefully it won't take another 5 years.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:26 PM   #112
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
Sex Pistols don't have a spot either, unless it's the Suck Donkey Balls Hall of Fame.

ok, you've now discredited yourself in this music debate. no worries, it's just one less thread you have to post in.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #113
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
ok, you've now discredited yourself in this music debate. no worries, it's just one less thread you have to post in.

You still here?
Old 04-05-2006, 09:32 PM   #114
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood
Nirvana changed that and kickstarted a movement that got bands that previously would've otherwise toiled for years playing small venues and releasing under-the-radar EPs,

otherwise known as bands that cthomer likes.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #115
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

Not half bad, actually.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:41 PM   #116
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

Sex Pistols are a pretty touchy subject among people who are serious about music (more serious than you, Mr. Coldplay). They were essentially assembled like boy band, by a marketing guy, and literally told to impersonate NY punk rock. For example, they were literally told to write their own version of the song "Blank Generation" by Richard Hell and the Voidoids. The result is "Pretty Vacant."

I think they were good, but were far more hype than substance. And again, add in drug use and a guy killing his girlfriend and then OD'ing and you've got a recipe for immortality.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:43 PM   #117
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

Yeah, i intenionally listen to bands that suck. Not because they're good. I simply love to rattle off names people like you aren't familiar with. I have no interest in listening to the best music I can find.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:19 PM   #118
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I just had a sudden realization and that's that Kurt and Courtney's kid is about or already might be a teenager. Damn, I'm getting old.... (I do wonder how well she's been brought up...Courtney's been crap for a mother, I'm sure.)
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:20 PM   #119
Anthony
Banned

there is nothing wrong with listening to music that's from off the beaten path. this isn't a popularity contest. i'm just saying you can't tell me the music you listen to has that much worth or value or contribution to music when no one has heard of any of the groups you listen to. you rattle off the same groups that other music snobs/geeks listen to. i've told you this already. if they had anything to bring to the table they wouldn't be underground. not that being on magazine covers and winning awards are a validation of an artist's worth, just that Elvis couldn't be the King Of Rock if only sophisticated music snobs listened to him. acts like Elvis, albums like Nevermind - they are what they are because they struck the same chord in millions of people. they reached people.

people not in music will never know just how hard it is to write one hit song. just one. to make one song that millions identify with and like is extremely hard (outside of gimmick songs like "Macarena"). to make an entire album that millions connected with - that just doesn't happen all the time. that's something unique and special. not everyone has the ability to make a "Nevermind".
Old 04-05-2006, 11:17 PM   #120
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
there is nothing wrong with listening to music that's from off the beaten path. this isn't a popularity contest. i'm just saying you can't tell me the music you listen to has that much worth or value or contribution to music when no one has heard of any of the groups you listen to. you rattle off the same groups that other music snobs/geeks listen to. i've told you this already. if they had anything to bring to the table they wouldn't be underground. not that being on magazine covers and winning awards are a validation of an artist's worth, just that Elvis couldn't be the King Of Rock if only sophisticated music snobs listened to him. acts like Elvis, albums like Nevermind - they are what they are because they struck the same chord in millions of people. they reached people.

people not in music will never know just how hard it is to write one hit song. just one. to make one song that millions identify with and like is extremely hard (outside of gimmick songs like "Macarena"). to make an entire album that millions connected with - that just doesn't happen all the time. that's something unique and special. not everyone has the ability to make a "Nevermind".

This is patently untrue. Although it is somewhat changing due to the internet, 95% of what 95% of people listen to is what A&R men think will sell. Note, not what they think is good, but what they think will sell. That essentially means they have to appeal lowest common denominator. Of course, plenty of talented groups are popular and yes, the majority of unsigned bands and groups on small indie labels are crap and will never amount to anything artistically, but that doesn't mean popularity = talent and certainly doesn't mean no popularity = no talent.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:21 PM   #121
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
if they had anything to bring to the average joe radio-listener they wouldn't be underground

Most art isn't for mass consumption, period. And "they reached people?"

The bands I like are reaching me and tens of thousands of others. Are the reaching the 12 year old kick wacking off to MTV? No, probably not. But they are most certainly reaching people.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:35 PM   #122
Groundhog
Coordinator

What bands like Nirvana did that make them so popular is that they take a music form that was underground and the add the neccessary touches to it that make it accessable to everybody else. Nirvana in no way shape or form created their style of music. Neither did the Sex Pistols. Neither did Pink Floyd. Neither did Radiohead. All they did was present it in a way that attracted people to it.

It reminds me of a quote by some musician I read once (can't recall who). He said, when talking about guys in their basements creating strange sounds on synthesizers, something along the lines of "It's nice to know that someone is doing it, but I don't neccessarily want to hear it". These innovators begin to forge some kind of sound, it goes around the underground scene, and then someone finally refines it enough to make it global... usually by accident.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:37 PM   #123
st.cronin
General Manager

bom bom diggy

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:22 AM   #124
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I think we should go back to our ROOTS...Nirvana was for suckers dude...I've been into Peter Cetera Chicago and it's kicking like gangbusters...

But when I really want to get down and crazy, I pull out Air Supply

You ain't got nothing on me.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:36 AM   #125
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

whew. that's a huge relief.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:51 AM   #126
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
I just had a sudden realization and that's that Kurt and Courtney's kid is about or already might be a teenager. Damn, I'm getting old.... (I do wonder how well she's been brought up...Courtney's been crap for a mother, I'm sure.)

I was thinking about this the other day myself, I think she's like 13 now. I can't imagine having a more messed up upbringing than what she has likely gone through. I hate to think of the media prying into the life of a 13 year old, but the curious part of me would be really interested to see an interview or documentary on her some day.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:44 AM   #127
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hey, I really like Nirvana and think they've made some great music, but come on, Cobain is SERIOUSLY overrated because he blew his brains out. The Pearl Jam comparisons are very apt. Pearl Jam and Nirvana were neck and neck for the grunge crown back in the early 90s. Cobain and Nirvana got elevated to God-like status because of the suicide. If Vedder had killed himself, people would talk about the genius of Pearl Jam today, while Nirvana would have likely followed the same career path that Pearl Jam followed. Nirvana arrived at the right time and Cobain killed himself at the right time to achieve immortality.

But yeah, totally overrated. Cobain ain't John Lennon, no matter how much people want to place him on a similar pedestal.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:06 AM   #128
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Imagine there's no Nirvana
It's easy if you try
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:32 AM   #129
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Gavin Rossdale wouldn't be banging Gwen Stefani...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:40 AM   #130
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo
I was thinking about this the other day myself, I think she's like 13 now. I can't imagine having a more messed up upbringing than what she has likely gone through. I hate to think of the media prying into the life of a 13 year old, but the curious part of me would be really interested to see an interview or documentary on her some day.

I pity the kid. With a looney as a mom and a coward as a dad. Yeesh.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:41 AM   #131
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Hey, I really like Nirvana and think they've made some great music, but come on, Cobain is SERIOUSLY overrated because he blew his brains out. The Pearl Jam comparisons are very apt. Pearl Jam and Nirvana were neck and neck for the grunge crown back in the early 90s. Cobain and Nirvana got elevated to God-like status because of the suicide. If Vedder had killed himself, people would talk about the genius of Pearl Jam today, while Nirvana would have likely followed the same career path that Pearl Jam followed. Nirvana arrived at the right time and Cobain killed himself at the right time to achieve immortality.

But yeah, totally overrated. Cobain ain't John Lennon, no matter how much people want to place him on a similar pedestal.

This is basically my stance as well.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #132
AlexB
Pro Starter

Personally thought Pearl Jam were completely overrated - grunge for the middle classes sitting in front of their fireplaces in patterned cardigans.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:10 PM   #133
russiaboss

I agree Pearl Jam was the most overrated group i can remember. I don't think people realize how many bands were influenced by Nirvana and that alone makes them a great all time band. By the way I love The Strokes!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2006, 09:20 PM   #134
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyone seen that Van Sant movie "Last Days?" I know it isnt a Cobain biography or anything, but i think it was loosely based on his final days.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:05 PM   #135
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

People who don't think Nirvana was one of (if not THE) most influential bands of the Gen X generation are on crack.

I don't think they were the best band ever, or of the decade or whatever but for Cobain to accomplish what he did in the music scene while detesting the success he was receiving is amazing in and of itself.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:10 PM   #136
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

In my opinion, the best thing that Nirvana ever did was be the influence for Weird Al's "Smells Like Nirvana." Of course, my wife says I have horrible music taste.

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:29 AM   #137
timmae
College Starter

I watched Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck last night. I have been truly sad ever since. I love the music but never knew some of the background story. So horribly sad what he went through.