Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-16-2022, 06:10 PM   #23151
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Of the many super annoying trends on social media, the "you have to get rid of one" thing is the most annoying. You know what? I don't have to get rid if one, Karen. I can keep them all if I want.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

sometimes I don't want ANY of them. BUt I'm with you. I have ALL the goddamned stuff at my fingertips. Fuck you magic fairy!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:19 PM   #23152
tarcone
Coordinator

Cultural Shock! Went to a couple college bars with my daughter after she graduated. The dress that these kids wear is sloppy at best. In the 80s we dressed to go out. These kids wear whatever. I wore khakis shorts, a short sleeve button down shirt and was way over dressed.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:22 PM   #23153
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Cultural Shock! Went to a couple college bars with my daughter after she graduated. The dress that these kids wear is sloppy at best. In the 80s we dressed to go out. These kids wear whatever. I wore khakis shorts, a short sleeve button down shirt and was way over dressed.

You don't wanna see what gets worn around Athens.

I mean you REALLY don't (unless, you know, you have sugar daddy aspirations or something)

edit: what you wore is strictly fraternity sub-culture wear, you won't see anything like that in any numbers outside that group.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-19-2022 at 09:24 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:23 AM   #23154
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
... I have ALL the goddamned stuff at my fingertips...

ACI Films Inc approves of this post.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:59 AM   #23155
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

were you wearing socks with your sandals?

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:19 AM   #23156
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

My work buddy took his kid on some college tours recently, and he said that the huge change he noticed from back when we were there (mid-90s) is that everyone in on a phone all the time. Walking around. In the cafeteria. In the common rooms. Things were, to his ear, noticeably quiet compared to how he remembered college.

For those with kids that age--is that the new normal now?

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 05-20-2022 at 10:20 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:23 AM   #23157
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yes
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:27 AM   #23158
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I guess this will be one of my "you kids get off my lawn" moments, but that seems like a real shame. I have a lot of good memories of 4 years of fun interactions with actual human beings. I think that the new generation is missing out by trading that in to discord/twitch/chat/text/whatever the hell they use with each other instead.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:44 AM   #23159
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I'm with you, albion.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:22 AM   #23160
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
For those with kids that age--is that the new normal now?

Aside from parties, yeah, pretty much afaik.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:44 AM   #23161
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Not sure what’s worse. Your kid leaving you on “read” or your kid turning off receipt notifications. And my one kid refuses to switch to iPhone so our group texts are in green.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:47 AM   #23162
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Interacting with real humans is overrated.

I'd rather interact on a forum with bots like you guys.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:06 PM   #23163
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Interacting with real humans is overrated.

I'd rather interact on a forum with bots like you guys.

beep boop
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:26 PM   #23164
jbpostbot
n00b

you welcome, asshat
Old 05-20-2022, 09:55 PM   #23165
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Not sure what’s worse. Your kid leaving you on “read” or your kid turning off receipt notifications. And my one kid refuses to switch to iPhone so our group texts are in green.

The refusal to get rid of the green is the worse!
Old 05-22-2022, 05:29 PM   #23166
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So on deliveries I get pictures of packages left by my door.

Is this helpful or creepy?
Old 05-22-2022, 06:00 PM   #23167
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

It's a CYA move on the part of the delivery person to demonstrate that yes, your package was delivered, and they're not liable for anything that happens to it after that

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:13 PM   #23168
21C
College Prospect

Getting a new phone is an exciting time.
Setting up a new phone is depressing and often annoying - especially with my work multi-factor authentication.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:35 AM   #23169
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

We've actually had deliveries dropped at the wrong house and we've been able to identify a neighbors house around the corner by the picture. So it's helped us.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:32 AM   #23170
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yeah, I don't find it creepy at all. It also helps when I'm not there to see where they've put it and ask a neighbor to grab it if it's not well-hidden.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:35 AM   #23171
Kodos
Resident Alien

The creepier thing is that all Amazon vans are in effect mobile surveillance centers.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazons...aker-backlash/

Quote:

MoneyWatch
Amazon's plan to install surveillance cameras in delivery vans drives lawmaker backlash

By Irina Ivanova

March 4, 2021 / 6:46 PM / MoneyWatch

Amazon's plan to put surveillance cameras in its fleet of delivery vans is drawing backlash in the U.S. Senate, where five senators accused the company of "implementing a worker surveillance infrastructure that infringes on your workers' privacy" according to a letter released this week.

The missive asks Amazon to promise it will not capture footage of members of the public without permission and that the company "will protect against potential new safety hazards stemming from increased worker surveillance." It also asks Amazon to lay out whether it will use facial-recognition software with the cameras, whether it will share footage with law enforcement and whether drivers can opt out of being recorded.

Democrats Ed Markey, Richard Blumenthal, Cory Booker and Elizabeth Warren and Independent Bernie Sanders signed the letter. Amazon did not immediately respond to a request for comment from CBS News.

The e-commerce juggernaut has invested heavily in building up its own delivery network, including ordering 100,000 electric delivery vans. Last month, The Information reported that Amazon planned to equip those vans with AI-powered cameras that record inside and outside the vehicle and issue commands to drivers.

The system, dubbed Driveri and developed by tech startup Netradyne, records video at all times, according to an Amazon video. However, it only uploads the footage if it detects certain actions, like speeding, hard braking or a driver appearing "drowsy." For some behaviors, the system issues verbal commands, such as "please slow down" or "distracted driving."

Amazon pitches the move as a safety measure: Its video notes that camera system alerts can reduce collisions and cites several examples in which camera footage was used to clear Amazon drivers of wrongdoing in car crashes.

However, the plan raised concerns among privacy advocates. The cameras could potentially record hundreds or thousands of people without their knowledge or consent, for instance.

Ring, Amazon's doorbell camera system, has been criticized for normalizing constant surveillance in neighborhoods, but Netradyne's cameras, strapped to vans that travel many miles in a day, take that up to a new level.

"Amazon is building a surveillance empire that threatens our most basic rights," Evan Greer, deputy director of Fight for the Future, said in a statement, calling the Netradyne partnership "the largest expansion of corporate surveillance in history."

"This will just exacerbate Amazon's unsafe and discriminatory working conditions for drivers –– and it will mean that Amazon delivery vehicles will be constantly surveilling our neighborhoods and communities," Greer said.

Last edited by Kodos : 05-23-2022 at 08:37 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:44 AM   #23172
Ksyrup

It seems like about a third of our packages are either delivered by USPS or Amazon drivers in their own cars. And we live within 15 miles of an Amazon fulfillment center.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-23-2022, 08:47 AM   #23173
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
I just passed up a trip to Vegas for one to Biloxi.

Partly because I was going to Starkville next Friday anyhow...I had to make the trade in part because it interfered with my daughter's preschool graduation.

This turned out pretty crazy.

Last week, I was going to be in Biloxi most likely into Wednesday morning. Travel, install, travel. Instead of going home, I was going to Starkville to see one of my former players get commissioned into the Army at MS State. Tennessee baseball's in town...I'll just buy me a standing room ticket for that while I'm at it. The plan was to fly home late that night and get up and go to my nephew's wedding the next day in Springfield, MO. The wedding was super important for me to be at...I was the only family member on his biological father's side to be invited.

On Monday, I flew into Jackson, MS, because that's where I'd eventually fly out of on Friday. I drove down to Biloxi only to be told the building was closed down and my contact would be there early in the morning to let me in. It turns out the owner of the company had died of a drug overdose the week before...they decided to have me down anyway to install the controls on the machine so it could be sold. He doesn't want to be trained on how to use it. There are no plans to keep the machine.

I come in the next day and I have the controls on in less than 2 hours but the machine doesn't work. He tries to tell me I did my best and I can go home...which, yeah. I understand you want to get out of here but I still need to do my best here. I eventually uncover the issues and I'm still done by 10am.

It's so ridiculously early on Tuesday that I decide I'll just fly home instead of spending the rest of the week in Starkville. I drive over to New Orleans, get super confused because they've opened a new terminal since I'd be there, but eventually I'm on my direct flight home.

Wednesday's my birthday...and now I get to spend part of it with my family. My son decides he'd like to go to Starkville with me and watch Tennessee play as well. I buy two tickets along the Tennessee bullpen instead of the SRO ticket. My son gets off the bus that afternoon and we drive down to Arkansas. All total, I was home about 19 hours. We get into my old hometown around 10pm to see my uncle and cousin. We get up the next morning and drive the rest of the way to Starkville.

Noah's getting commissioned at 2pm on Friday and doesn't know we're there. I had told him with the wedding the next day I couldn't make it. We stop in for a few hours at Noah's mom's house before we head in to watch the game.

As it turns out, one of the UT players is a really good friend of my cousin. They played HS ball together. I catch him before the game starts and next thing I know my son has two baseballs, a pair of batting gloves, and a bunch of autographs. After the game, Logan comes back by with another ball and a few more players autograph it. Tennessee won 27-2...they had a no hitter going into the 7th inning.

The next day we go to the commissioning and head back home. We drove the entire way back (to Wentzville MO) this time. I'm home about 10 hours this time. My wife and I leave for Springfield for the wedding. We get home at noon the next day.

Last edited by Poli : 05-23-2022 at 10:50 AM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:57 AM   #23174
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
This turned out pretty crazy.

Last week, I was going to be in Biloxi most likely into Wednesday morning. Travel, install, travel. Instead of going home, I was going to Starkville to see one of my former players get commissioned into the Army at MS State. Tennessee baseball's in town...I'll just buy me a standing room ticket for that while I'm at it. The plan was to fly home late that night and get up and go to my nephew's wedding the next day in Springfield, MO. The wedding was super important for me to be at...I was the only family member on his biological father's side to be invited.

On Monday, I flew into Jackson, MS, because that's where I'd eventually fly out of on Friday. I drove down to Biloxi only to be told the building was closed down and my contact would be there early in the morning to let me in. It turns out the owner of the company had died of a drug overdose the week before...they decided to have me down anyway to install the controls on the machine so it could be sold. He doesn't want to be trained on how to use it. There are no plans to keep the machine.

I come in the next day and I have the controls on in less than 2 hours but the machine doesn't work. He tries to tell me I did my best and I can go home...which, yeah. I understand you want to get out of here but I still need to do my best here. I eventually uncover the issues and I'm still done by 10am.

It's so ridiculously early on Tuesday that I decide I'll just fly home instead of spending the rest of the week in Starkville. I drive over to New Orleans, get super confused because they've opened a new terminal since I'd be there, but eventually I'm on my direct flight home.

Wednesday's my birthday...and now I get to spend part of it with my family. My son decides he'd like to go to Starkville with me and watch Tennessee play as well. I buy two tickets along the Tennessee bullpen instead of the SRO ticket. My son gets off the bus that afternoon and we drive down to Arkansas. All total, I was home about 19 hours. We get into my old hometown around 10pm to see my uncle and cousin. We get up the next morning and drive the rest of the way to Starkville.

Noah's getting commissioned at 2pm on Friday and doesn't know we're there. I had told him with the wedding the next day I couldn't make it. We stop in for a few hours at Noah's mom's house before we head in to watch the game.

As it turns out, one of the UT players is a really good friend of my cousin. They played HS ball together. I catch him before the game starts and before the game starts my son has two baseballs, a pair of batting gloves, and a bunch of autographs. After the game, Logan comes back by with another ball and a few more players autograph it. Tennessee won 27-2...they had a no hitter going into the 7th inning.

The next day we go to the commissioning and head back home. We drove the entire way back this time. I'm home about 10 hours this time. My wife and I leave for Springfield for the wedding. We get home at noon the next day.

Just reading that made me tired :-)
Old 05-23-2022, 09:34 AM   #23175
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Agreed!
Old 05-23-2022, 11:53 AM   #23176
stevew
Hall Of Famer

"you'll receive a call approximately 30 minutes before your large item is to be delivered" is never true.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:25 PM   #23177
Ksyrup

We're on a sinking ship, people...

Old 05-23-2022, 01:26 PM   #23178
Kodos
Resident Alien

Old 05-23-2022, 01:44 PM   #23179
sabotai
General Manager

omfg....
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 02:43 PM   #23180
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

There was a bear sighting in my town last night and people are freaking the fuck out.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:05 PM   #23181
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I did a chemical foot peel and it’s maybe working a bit too well. ��
Old 05-24-2022, 09:24 PM   #23182
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
There was a bear sighting in my town last night and people are freaking the fuck out.

I guess "homeless in NJ" is a homophobic area?
Old 05-24-2022, 09:26 PM   #23183
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wait until june
Old 05-25-2022, 07:49 PM   #23184
stevew
Hall Of Famer

couple of my shrubs are spreading out and kind of developing a void in the middle. I zip tied them together how I would like them to sit. Is this going to work? Shrubs are expensive now and so are any landscaping trees. I paid 50$ for a Japanese maple a few years back. Just looked into buying another one and it was 199$
Old 05-25-2022, 10:53 PM   #23185
molson
General Manager

I've seen Rocky IV and V, but never I, II, and III.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:02 PM   #23186
RainMaker
General Manager

I had never seen the Creed films and found out Drago is in the sequel. Needless to say I watched both immediately.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:57 PM   #23187
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don’t realize that was the plot to Creed 2
Old 05-26-2022, 12:02 AM   #23188
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I had never seen the Creed films and found out Drago is in the sequel. Needless to say I watched both immediately.

I thought the creed movies were pretty solid. The first a bit better than the 2nd, but both are more of the best parts of the Rocky franchise.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 06:51 AM   #23189
Ksyrup

I'm sick of grocery stores trying to pass off generic/bland small oranges as cuties when their supply is cut short. They are disgusting and not even close to a substitute for cuties. My wife picked up a bag of something labeled as "mandarins" and yes, they are small, and yes, the skin comes off easily, but they have barely any taste and what taste they have, is gross.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:28 AM   #23190
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Good lord. How could you see V but none of the first three? To quote Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:

"He chose... poorly."

Last edited by Kodos : 05-26-2022 at 08:29 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:36 AM   #23191
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'm sick of grocery stores trying to pass off generic/bland small oranges as cuties when their supply is cut short. They are disgusting and not even close to a substitute for cuties. My wife picked up a bag of something labeled as "mandarins" and yes, they are small, and yes, the skin comes off easily, but they have barely any taste and what taste they have, is gross.

I stopped buying these in general because of how much the taste varied from bag to bag. Felt like I was constantly throwing away 3/4 of a bag because they were brutal.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:43 AM   #23192
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Good lord. How could you see V but none of the first three? To quote Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:

"He chose... poorly."

I-III were before my time, IV played constantly on TV when I was a kid. V is harder to justify and explain. It must have been in the house as a VHS blockbuster rental when it was new.

I do want to watch I-III someday, maybe in one glorious day off from work.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:57 AM   #23193
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
I-III were before my time, IV played constantly on TV when I was a kid. V is harder to justify and explain. It must have been in the house as a VHS blockbuster rental when it was new.

I do want to watch I-III someday, maybe in one glorious day off from work.

I is great...you really need to get on that. And when you watch it, you need to forget everything you know, and everything you've seen, because it's at its very best as an origination story.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 12:21 PM   #23194
Kodos
Resident Alien

And just try to ignore the creepy scenes in his romance with Adrian.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:13 PM   #23195
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Holy crap, I also realized this is also true of the Indiana Jones movies. I've seen III and IV, but never I and II.

Kind of the same deal. I and II were just a bit before I was old enough to sit through movies and I never got around to them. I saw Last Crusade and Crystal Skull at the theater. And I have been to the Universal Studios Indiana Jones Stage Show if that counts.

This is all setting up for a movie catchup weekend or vacation. Rocky 1-3 day one, and Indiana Jones 1-2 day two.

Last edited by molson : 05-26-2022 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:35 PM   #23196
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I thought the creed movies were pretty solid. The first a bit better than the 2nd, but both are more of the best parts of the Rocky franchise.

Same. Not winning any Oscars but good, fun movies with just the right amount of nostalgia.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:14 PM   #23197
Kodos
Resident Alien

That’s just crazy!
Old 05-27-2022, 07:14 PM   #23198
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Learned a couple of low carb food related things today. Bud Light Next is horrible. It is supposed to be beer, but it taste like super watered down hard cider.
Arnold Keto bread is excellent. Taste like real bread. 3 net carbs per slice.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 09:40 AM   #23199
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Just went to the hardware store and turns out there's an adhesive made specifically for gluing landscape pavers to each other (which is what I'm doing).

By way of follow-up (since I know you were all waiting breathlessly for this), the adhesive worked perfectly.

The reason for this whole thing is that we have a big trampoline that we got in 2020. I never thought to stake the thing down so lo and behold last December we had a big windstorm (how it didn't happen before that I don't know) and it blew away across the street into my neighbor's yard.

I found out when I got up at 6:30 on a Saturday to walk the dog. I knew it had been windy so was prepared for fallen branches, etc.... In my somewhat bleary state I noticed an overturned trampoline in my neighbor's yard and thought to myself "woah, that's rough, someone's trampoline blew into his yard", then I swiveled my eyes back to our yard and comprehension dawned.

Anyway, now in the spirit of true Dad Overkill, I have not only staked down the trampoline, but used 18 concrete landscape pavers I happened to have lying around, to hold it down. The adhesive was used to connect one paver over the top of two others, so that the whole 3-paver contraption is holding down one of 6 "legs" of the trampoline. Roughly 500 pounds before the stakes.

If it gets shifted by the wind we've probably lost the roof and have bigger problems.
Old 05-30-2022, 06:02 PM   #23200
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So for the last week and a half, I've had some guys from a British Sports Car email list at my house to help me and my Dad work on our Austin-Healey Sprites. My Dad's had been sitting in his backyard since the mid-90s, and mine had been sitting since late 2000/early 2001. AH Sprites and MG Midgets are twin cars, and are collectively called Spridgets. There is a group that emerged from the email list called Organization of Spridget Handymen in Transit (OSHIT). My Dad's bypass surgery and my upcoming 50th birthday was the impetus for starting work on getting the cars running again.

We towed my Dad's to my place a few weeks ago. We weren't too sure about the state it would be in after sitting outside for so long. To our amazement, most all of the nuts and bolts came out easily, and when we took the valve cover off, there was a light sheen on oil on everything, and we were able to turn the engine over by hand.

The goal of the guys that came into town was to get my engine running, and as a secondary goal do what we could for my Dad's car. We took my engine apart, and found that it needed a new timing chain and gears. I also had a new aluminum head to replace the cast iron one, and new pulleys to move to a serpentine belt system instead of a V-belt, which also allowed a move to a more modern alternator.

After much work, we got my engine to fire on Friday. Here's how it sounded for the first time since late 2000/early 2001:

HTML5 Embed Video Converted by Any Video Converter

Now on to do the rest of the stuff to get it to pass inspection, then get it stripped down for a new paint job.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote