Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-16-2022, 01:57 PM   #10401
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Should have said the Anthony Edwards from Gotcha!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:03 PM   #10402
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Gotcha! Gotcha where I want ya, it's too late to turn back now!

Some days I have trouble remembering my own relatives names, but my brain keeps the lyrics to the theme song for 1985's Gotcha always ready.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 02:05 PM   #10403
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
P

Smart to always have at least one Anthony Edwards on hand for situations like that.

Kind of what happened. He's married to Mare Winningham and she's one of the leads so when the option was jump in or cancel a few performances of a show already scheduled to close in early June, he jumped in.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:18 PM   #10404
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Gotcha! Gotcha where I want ya, it's too late to turn back now!

Some days I have trouble remembering my own relatives names, but my brain keeps the lyrics to the theme song for 1985's Gotcha always ready.

I believe that was a Joan Jett song.

I was a huge fan of Gregg Guiffria back in the mid-80s and he has two songs on that soundtrack.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-16-2022, 06:00 PM   #10405
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

The nerd on the left

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:05 PM   #10406
Edward64
Head Coach

Saw 2 younger foreigners walking the streets without masks. They looked, dressed European (and they were not overweight).

Saw another older foreigner with the mask under the nose trick.

I really hope the police here are a lot stricter.

I'll add that masks in pubic, open air is likely not needed (or at least from the US experience). So yeah, I think Asian countries are overdoing it. But when in another country, you should respect their laws.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-16-2022 at 08:21 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:29 PM   #10407
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
The nerd on the left

He looks a bit different now! He's actually been on a few recent TV shows. He was on Billions in season 1, and more recently on WeCrashed.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:18 PM   #10408
molson
General Manager

Travel sidenote, Global Entry/Precheck plus checking no bags is absurdly efficient. In our connecting incoming flight in San Jose, time from deplaning to getting into the domestic terminal - getting through the customs and immigration terminal and security and then physically into the terminal - was under 3 minutes.

Last edited by molson : 05-16-2022 at 11:18 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:25 AM   #10409
QuikSand
lolzcat

A pretty good and seemingly not deeply biased dive into research around #LongCOVID that feels worth the time to read. THIS is the main issue that should be driving policy, and I come away frustrated that the slope from "unclear" to "not worth worrying about" is awfully slippery...

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:27 AM   #10410
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My mother in law just tested positive. She is vaxxed and boosted but had a heart transplant 14 years ago and has been in less than optimal health the last few years. Father in law said shes not doing great. Fever and really bad cough. He suspects they will have to go to the hospital in NYC where her transplant was completed. As a bonus my daughter slept over their house Saturday night so I suppose I should test her when she gets home.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:09 AM   #10411
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow Lathum, sorry to hear that, hope everyone in your family is okay and you probably should get a test
Old 05-19-2022, 08:07 PM   #10412
Ksyrup

In the "not great timing" category, my wife just tested positive with a home test. She had allergy issues about a month ago that lasted a couple of weeks, went to the doctor, got some meds, got over it, and then yesterday started with a scratchy throat and losing her voice again, so she assumed allergies. But today she's completely congested, 100 fever, feels like she got hit by a truck, etc., so I told her to test. And sure enough...

She subbed for a teacher who tested positive last week and came back yesterday. All she had to do was isolate for 5 days and then back in the classroom, no mask, no nothing.

So now we're trying to figure out what to do. My daughter graduates next weekend. We have a ton of family coming in, lots of old people. Her final softball game could be tomorrow. She has senior awards night next Monday, senior walk, senior breakfast, etc., all things my wife planned to attend. The softball game should be easy - she can drive herself and sit in the OF behind the fence where no one will be. Everything else... probably not going to happen.

She's got an appointment for a real test on Tuesday. My big concern - what if my daughter or I show symptoms some time next week? This could be a friggin' disaster of epic proportions.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-19-2022 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:05 AM   #10413
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, everyone at work is coughing and is like "it's allergies", and I'm all JUST STAY HOME!!!

Having said that, I had been going into work more regularly the past 3 months, but am now shifting to more WFH days for myself (it's nice to finish your day when it's a nice day and just go out on the patio instead of driving home).
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:12 AM   #10414
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
A pretty good and seemingly not deeply biased dive into research around #LongCOVID that feels worth the time to read. THIS is the main issue that should be driving policy, and I come away frustrated that the slope from "unclear" to "not worth worrying about" is awfully slippery...

Yup. The powers that be decided (consciously or subconsciously) that Long COVID is a super inconvenient reality, so they've just decided to pretend it does not exist. Or, as this thread points out, to pretend that "we don't really know enough" about it yet.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 05-20-2022 at 07:12 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:26 AM   #10415
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Yeah, everyone at work is coughing and is like "it's allergies", and I'm all JUST STAY HOME!!!

Having said that, I had been going into work more regularly the past 3 months, but am now shifting to more WFH days for myself (it's nice to finish your day when it's a nice day and just go out on the patio instead of driving home).

I had just read an article yesterday about how the latest Covid strain symptoms have shifted from the old Covid symptoms and the issue with spring allergies. My wife just assumed her allergies were coming back but I told her to test because of that article. She didn't lose taste/smell, no cough. She basically had the same symptoms as when her allergies acted up except they were worse.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:11 AM   #10416
bhlloy
Coordinator

My wife got exposed to somebody at a 2 day contract negotiation she had to attend in person who used the “it’s just allergies” excuse so I feel your pain. We tested negative yesterday but only 2 days from exposure, not that confident it’s going to stay that way
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:10 PM   #10417
RainMaker
General Manager

This stuff hits me. Reminds me of hearing those voicemails from 9/11 victims.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ths-texts.html
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 04:38 PM   #10418
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Unfortunately 'just stay home' isn't an option economically for many people.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:12 AM   #10419
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

MONKEY POX!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2022, 01:55 PM   #10420
Thomkal
Head Coach

Had forgot to mention here that the govt is offering free at home testing kits again through the Postal Service. quick turnaround for me this time from when I orderd it.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:42 PM   #10421
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Multiple members of my wife's traveling party in Ireland tested positive and must quarantine. They will end up needing to pass a covid test in order to get back into the US. Thankfully(shudder) my wife had Covid a week before her trip. Thanks for the heads up about the eMed Lathum, worked like a charm.

I'd consider the variables if you're planning on leaving the US any time in the near future. Could be significantly more expensive if you get stuck in a quarantine.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 05:52 PM   #10422
Edward64
Head Coach

Have to take a test within 24 hours of boarding a flight back into the US. 48 hours is reasonable but 24 hours hurts if you are trying to fly back on a Sun or Mon (e.g. testing centers and quick turnaround time is limited).

The CDC website is not that clear if rapid antigen (vs PCR) is acceptable. It says it is but then it says it has to be a specific type (viral). I'm paying a premium of $125 for the PCR (and quick turnaround) just so there are no misunderstanding at the airport.

In my travels so far, only the US and one other country requires the test to enter the country. And the other one was 48 hours.

With that said, I agree with the overall testing requirement. But would be nice if it was 48 vs 24 hours.
Old 06-01-2022, 05:55 PM   #10423
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
MONKEY POX!!!!!!!

Yeah, so what's the deal with this? From what I've read, its a non-story?
Old 06-01-2022, 06:06 PM   #10424
Edward64
Head Coach

Not sure I mentioned this already but in my travels in asia, everyone is wearing masks outdoors. I get the need indoors and on transportation.

Told my local friends that I think that's unnecessary but while in Rome, have to respect the local rules.

Off topic but want to bitch about 2 things.

An European guy wearing a wife beater t-shirt on the rail system. I do not want to see your hairy armpit as you hang onto the strap you ass. And neither does the poor woman, shorter than you, that was in front of you.

Can old white, western guys please date/marry somewhat older local women. It's a little disturbing the age difference in a lot of these couples I see. I know there are many great looking middle aged women (have friends, and friends of friends that are straight up MILFs and GILFs. Beats me, must be genes and water here). Nobodyhere, take note.
Old 06-01-2022, 06:09 PM   #10425
JPhillips
General Manager

Years ago when we were in China lots of people wore masks outside, but that was because of the pollution.
Old 06-01-2022, 06:20 PM   #10426
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Years ago when we were in China lots of people wore masks outside, but that was because of the pollution.

I saw that in Beijing but not in the couple other towns/cities I was in.

TBH, I didn't think pollution was that bad in Beijing when I went. What I remembered was staying at a nice 5-star Marriott and the air conditioner was not blowing cold air. I asked the front desk for a new room and they said it was some government control not to have air conditioner for x time blocks.

So they brought me a fan instead. That worked well enough.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:22 PM   #10427
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Nobodyhere, take note.

I'm not interested in the mail-order-bride/prostitution ring that you're running.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:28 PM   #10428
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'm not interested in the mail-order-bride/prostitution ring that you're running.

To be fair, you did ask for help.

And to be accurate, definitely not prostitution.

Not sure if its mail order bride if you go to Asia vs them coming to you. It may be a mail order husband then.

Just saying it may be time for you to consider beyond the US.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:36 PM   #10429
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW plenty of entitled middle eastern folks at Doha airport with no mask or under the nose/chin trick. It surprising how many and how flagrant they are. It’s one of those it’s our position but no need to enforce. If they really wanted to they just need to make a couple public examples each hour or so.

If there is one place to retain masks until the very last, it’s international airports IMO.

I think Asia has done the best job from what I’ve seen.

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-04-2022 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:00 PM   #10430
Ksyrup

I decided to get the second booster this coming Saturday. It's been 6+ months since I got the first booster, my wife had Covid a few weeks ago, and we're travelling to Hawaii at the end of the month. It just feels like the right time to get the booster.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-06-2022 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:21 PM   #10431
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So we took the plunge and booked an Alaskan cruise for July 2023. Really hope things are even more "normal" by then.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:39 PM   #10432
Ksyrup

We haven't rescheduled. Original Alaska cruise was scheduled for June-July 2020. Probably won't be until 2024 at earliest since we're doing 2 weeks in Montana and Wyoming next summer.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-06-2022 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-08-2022, 06:00 PM   #10433
Ksyrup

So I see things like this and I feel like some people are living in the past. Our family was extremely cautious, sheltered in place, wore masks, got shots/boosters, but we were always trying to get to a place where hospitalizations and deaths were manageable, right? Covid was never going to be eradicated.

So I see this and then I go look on the CDC website at the 7-day moving averages for hospitalizations and deaths and we're still way down compared to the 2-year historical averages. Deaths are wobbling right around the lowest point from last year this time, and hospitalizations are up for people aged 70+ but all other age groups are lower than they've been since it started.

So... isn't this basically where we want to be? I don't understand people acting like it's October 2020 and warning that the first sign of a slight uptick means we have to start wearing masks again. I'm just not seeing any evidence that we are inevitably going to crest back to 10 times the number of deaths and hospitals are going to be overwhelmed. The vaccines/boosters and natural immunity have done their job to this point (until we see evidence of a variant that bypasses the current protections).

Old 06-08-2022, 08:21 PM   #10434
Edward64
Head Coach

Stats without context is always problematic. I think we are past "infections" and now focused on "hospitalizations/deaths" (or at least I am).

Read thru some of the comments. He has alot of supporters that agree. Maybe we're the ones missing something ... but don't think so.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:17 PM   #10435
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

This community transmission bullshit is the bane of my existence. It determines how much PPE we have to wear as a nurse and basically has zero bearing on actual cases in the community. Seriously. Pick a small county and look at the CDC community transmission rate and then go that the state website and look at the actual numbers. They basically have nothing in common. We moved up in rate last month despite having zero hospitalizations which means we went from just surgical masks to having to wear masks and a face shield our entire shift. Sounds little, but try looking at a computer screen through a faceshild, not to mention the unit is kept 74 degrees which feels like 94 under a faceshield.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 10:46 PM   #10436
Edward64
Head Coach

Good to know Moderna has something newer and better. I had my 4th shot in April so assume I can get this newer version as my 5th shot as part of my flu shot in Oct or so.

Quote:
Moderna said on Wednesday its bivalent Covid-19 vaccine booster that contained a vaccine targeting the Omicron variant showed a stronger immune response against the variant.

Bivalent boosters address two viral strains in the same vaccine. The updated booster contains Moderna's original vaccine, and a vaccine candidate that targets the Omicron variant.

The vaccine was generally well-tolerated, the company said, with side effects similar to booster doses of the current vaccine.

The 50-microgram bivalent booster, called mRNA-1273.214, generated a stronger antibody response against Omicron than the original Moderna vaccine. Omicron subvariants are driving virtually all the new Covid-19 cases in the United States right now.

Stéphane Bancel, chief executive officer of Moderna, said in a news release "we anticipate more durable protection against variants of concern with mRNA-1273.214, making it our lead candidate for a Fall 2022 booster."
Old 06-11-2022, 12:07 PM   #10437
Ksyrup

I just got the 2nd booster. My wife got COVID last month, it's been 6 months since my booster, and we're flying to Hawaii in a couple weeks, so I figured it was a good time.

I also got Tdap and Shingles vaccines at the same time so I'm taking the day off from running just in case one of the cocktail hits me hard.
Old 06-11-2022, 02:47 PM   #10438
QuikSand
lolzcat

What if, over the next decade, we reach a consensus that something like 10-20% of COVID cases, basically independent of the person's vaccination/booster status and the severity of symptoms, ended up yielding long term serious consequences? That maybe 40 million Americans, to try to put a point on it, now suffer from a long-term debilitating ailment that seriously limits or eliminates their ability to be economically productive?

How far away are we from that being the case, right now, based on what we know? I know we won't reach consensus because that might involved short term economic or political sacrifice, but... hmmm.

Anyway, I'm at home separating from my family as I returned recently from a work gathering with a wake-up headache, and am treating it like an active exposure, just to be fairly safe.
Old 06-15-2022, 02:50 PM   #10439
QuikSand
lolzcat

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
Old 06-15-2022, 03:05 PM   #10440
Kodos
Resident Alien

I got my 2nd booster last week. Surprisingly, no problems this time. Not even a sore arm.
Old 06-16-2022, 05:50 AM   #10441
Edward64
Head Coach

Fauci getting Covid is a non-story for me but guess I understand why it has to be reported.

Wishing him a quick recovery. He certainly has been through a lot in the past 3+ years.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:34 AM   #10442
PilotMan
Head Coach

Get in touch with the state of Kentucky! (read the comments and take it all in)

https://www.facebook.com/WKYTTV/posts/10158561749010766

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 06-16-2022 at 09:37 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:02 AM   #10443
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Jesus. What an embarrassment. How many of those people have Bible verses on their bio.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:45 PM   #10444
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

"I love Jesus, guns and wishing death on liberals."
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:02 PM   #10445
Edward64
Head Coach

Daughter just let us know she tested positive. Self isolating in her school apartment now. Good think most of her classes are still online.
Old 06-19-2022, 08:52 AM   #10446
Edward64
Head Coach

From the DailyMail so take it for what it is.

I'm thinking surely the CDC would not just accept that limited number of test subjects so some additional context is missing (e.g. there were other tests done with a much larger pool of subjects?).

But if I had a kid that young, I'd wait maybe a month after the early adopters.

Experts question CDC's approval of COVID vaccines for under-5s | Daily Mail Online
Quote:
In the wake of the CDC's approval of Pfizer and Moderna's Covid-19 vaccine for babies as young as six months, at least one expert has questioned the move.

Dr. Sarah Long, an infectious diseases expert at the Drexel University College of Medicine, told the New York Times: 'We should just assume that we don't have efficacy data.'

That comes off the back of Pfizer's own reporting that said their statements of 80% effectiveness in children under five was based on the responses of just three children.

Those children were part of a group of ten but seven were given a placebo.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:56 AM   #10447
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yeah if I had kids, I think I'd wait a bit to see how others are reacting to the vaccine before letting my kids get them.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:40 AM   #10448
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The safety data for the two RNA vaccines has been consistently pristine. Besides the temporary side effects associated with administration, the only risk you run with these vaccines, based on the data, is that they won't really work all that well.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:58 AM   #10449
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The vaccines have been studied extensively for safety. And billions of doses have been administered. They are safe.

Even the delay in < 5 wasn't b/c of safety. It was to increase effectiveness.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 12:27 PM   #10450
PilotMan
Head Coach

Man, so I've got it for the 2nd time now, and you know what? It still sucks. It's not like life endangering, or painful, but it's still awful. This time around still feels like the first time around, and like the effects from the first shot did for 48 hours. I feel weak, jittery, have a horrendous sinus infection, dizzy, sore throat off and on, awful cough off and on, but the worst is just that feeling of total exhaustion and inability to concentrate on anything at all. Just like you're a total zombie and nothing really matters. I slept like 10 hours yesterday. You know that feeling where you just woke up from a deep sleep, and you really don't know what is going on, and you're pretty sure you could just go right back to sleep? That's my reality right now. I just want to feel like doing something, other than sitting on the couch and watching TV. I start doing something, then forget about it because something else sidetracked me. I erased a comment I was typing from an hour ago, because I forgot I was even typing it after I got distracted and totally lost my train of thought when I saw it, or realized it was pointless anyway.

sucks

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote