Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-05-2021, 01:52 PM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

Soccer Thread 2021-2022

I think this is the right way to start of a new thread for the soccer year.

Lionel Messi to leave Barcelona Argentina captain won't sign new contract

Quote:
Barcelona said in a statement: "Despite having reached an agreement with Messi and with both parties clearly wanting to sign a new contract, it cannot be finalised due to financial and structural problems [rules relating to the Spanish league].

"Given this situation, Messi will not continue his relationship with Barcelona. Both parties lament deeply that the desires of the player and the club cannot be met.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:55 PM   #2
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

PSG bound I think, which is a damn shame. Apparently too late for Pep and would require leaving Kane at the altar so to speak.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:00 PM   #3
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Also think there is a chance of a 180 here as Barcelona and La Liga are shady as fuck.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:04 PM   #4
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Also think there is a chance of a 180 here as Barcelona and La Liga are shady as fuck.

I am closer to this line of thinking. Wasn't it yesterday that Barcelona was in the clear due to the private equity firm buying piece of La Liga?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 08-05-2021, 02:29 PM   #5
AlexB
Pro Starter

Pep desperately rummaging in his pockets trying to find his receipt for Grealish…
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:18 PM   #6
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Pep desperately rummaging in his pockets trying to find his receipt for Grealish…

Hah! I know Messi shares more in common with Grealish, but I actually think Pep wants Grealish more than Kane. He had success with Lewa at Bayern, but he loves midfielders and attackers that can play all over the pitch. From what I understand City wanted Kane last summer, but had their attention diverted when Messi said he wanted to leave. This time I think it's just too late to make it happen and I don't think Pep is all that happy with his ex-player or desperate for him to join. It's City owner that is obsessed with Messi joining City, so unless he decides to overrule Pep I don't see it happening. And I think there is way too much respect between owner/chairman and Pep for that to ever happen.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:01 AM   #7
Critch
lolzcat

Manchester United no longer to be called Manchester United in Football Manager. They've "protected their copyright" and they'll be called Manchester UFC in Football Manager 2022.

Another reason to not like them.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:24 AM   #8
AlexB
Pro Starter

Not sure if anyone saw this, but Wesley Fofana will be out until likely Christmas after an absolutely shocking tackle in a pre-season friendly against Villareal.

No place for that type of tackle at any time, but particularly not on the half way line in a preseason friendly

I won’t link the video: although it’s not the worst, there is a little bit of a floppy leg
Old 08-06-2021, 11:59 AM   #9
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Some things never change.

Quote:
We sincerely apologise that our tweet, which was not meant to cause controversy or have any racial undertones, may have offended anyone. Juventus has always been against racism and discrimination.

Old 08-07-2021, 01:03 PM   #10
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Lol
Old 08-13-2021, 04:05 PM   #11
Critch
lolzcat

Arsenal still rubbish

Old 08-13-2021, 06:46 PM   #12
miami_fan
Coordinator

I feel like just saying the top two strikers at the club missed the match with "illness" is a bit loaded in the age of COVID.
Old 08-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #13
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Good thing City is such a money all squad that doesn't spend as much as everyone else.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 12:36 PM   #14
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Good thing City is such a money all squad that doesn't spend as much as everyone else.

Nice troll, dispshit.
Old 08-15-2021, 03:01 PM   #15
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Nice troll, dispshit.

To be fair though, without the money you’re Newcastle.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:13 PM   #16
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I won the ticket lottery to get seats at the new stadium here in Austin for the USMNT v. Jamaica World Cup Qualifier.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:05 PM   #17
bhlloy
Coordinator

Nice to see after spending most of the last few years moaning about VAR every time decisions didn't go their way, the poor snowflakes who manage some of the largest teams in the world are now moaning about less fouls and letting the game flow ruining the game. When we said we wanted the role of VAR reduced and the game opened up we didn't mean the ones that we benefited from, silly.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 07:48 PM   #18
miami_fan
Coordinator

Whew! It wasn't me who typed those three letters first in this first lol.

Last edited by miami_fan : 08-22-2021 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-26-2021, 10:21 AM   #19
miami_fan
Coordinator

LIVE Transfer Talk: Cristiano Ronaldo agrees deal to join Manchester City

Quote:
Cristiano Ronaldo has reached an agreement with Manchester City over a sensational transfer from Juventus to the Premier League champions, according to AS. The Spanish sports daily reports that Ronaldo has struck a deal with City, who have offered him a two-year contract with a salary of €15 million per season, about half of what he earns in Turin.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:27 AM   #20
AlexB
Pro Starter

Looks like there’s a spare spot in the squad

Benjamin Mendy charged with rape

Ronaldo is probably the perfect CF for the Man City squad - probably a better fit than Kane

Last edited by AlexB : 08-26-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:28 AM   #21
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Looks like there’s a spare spot in the squad

Benjamin Mendy charged with rape

Like for like swap
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #22
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Like for like swap

If CR7 is that good, should be able to play anywhere!

Last edited by AlexB : 08-26-2021 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:11 PM   #23
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
If CR7 is that good, should be able to play anywhere!

What Easy Mac (did you know he watched Clint Dempsey play at Furman???) is saying is that Cristiano Ronaldo was accused of raped in the past.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:17 PM   #24
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
To be fair though, without the money you’re Newcastle.

No doubt. I suggest you read up on the history of other clubs like Arsenal and United if you haven't already though. They were built on heavy investment at various stages. Besides, I don't really subscribe to the belief that only a handful of clubs deserve to eat at the big boys table. Not that it matters anymore as FFP has closed the drawbridge. Too late to keep out the bad brown guys, however.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:53 PM   #25
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
What Easy Mac (did you know he watched Clint Dempsey play at Furman???) is saying is that Cristiano Ronaldo was accused of raped in the past.

Ah - I’d forgotten that.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:41 PM   #26
miami_fan
Coordinator

Remember when COVID shut down the game, football finances were going to be restructured due to no fans in the stand, the entire transfer market was going to be frozen?
Old 08-26-2021, 09:26 PM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Remember when COVID shut down the game, football finances were going to be restructured due to no fans in the stand, the entire transfer market was going to be frozen?

Well, Ronaldo is expected to take a 50% pay drop in the new deal.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:56 AM   #28
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well, Ronaldo is expected to take a 50% pay drop in the new deal.

I hope he’ll be OK, what with the rising cost of living and everything
Old 08-27-2021, 09:05 AM   #29
Critch
lolzcat

Looks like Ronaldo is going to Man Utd now instead.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:24 AM   #30
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Not surprised. I was shocked when City didn't come out right away and brief the press they were not going to be signing him. I am still holding out hope that another striker is being chased.
Old 08-27-2021, 11:08 AM   #31
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I hope he’ll be OK, what with the rising cost of living and everything

I didn't say he was underpaid (though, vs the market, he kinda would be). Just pointing out that along with a few other deals I've seen mentioned there is somewhat of a shift in the norm.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:38 PM   #32
AlexB
Pro Starter

After the Europa League draw, Midge Ure has been asked what he thinks about West Ham drawing Rapid Vienna, he says “this means nothing to me”…

I’ll get my coat…
Old 08-28-2021, 07:14 AM   #33
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am listening to Man City v Arsenal on the radio. Pep has to have pity on his former assistant right?
Old 08-28-2021, 07:20 AM   #34
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

How are you listening on the radio? SiriusXM or streaming an English feed like BBC??
Old 08-28-2021, 08:18 AM   #35
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I had so little knowledge of soccer prior to getting hooked during Leicester's run to the title that I had no idea Ronaldo used to play in the PL.

Arsenal sucks. The one thing I don't get about soccer fans is their ability to put up with only a select few teams having a realistic chance of winning every year. I would love to see an Arsenal get relegated (I know it won't happen but it would be great).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:12 PM   #36
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
How are you listening on the radio? SiriusXM or streaming an English feed like BBC??

SiriusXM
Old 08-28-2021, 07:42 PM   #37
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

El Trafico never disappoints. Brian Rodriguez having a game.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2021, 05:38 PM   #38
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Remember when I complained about the England fans booing the national anthems of Germany and Italy... Apparently our very own fans felt the need to make noise during the anthem of Montenegro. At least the English fans didn't run onto the pitch to make a selfie with players or the UEFA managed to keep it from getting broadcasted. We clearly have obtuse football fans as well. Yuck.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 04:49 PM   #39
Critch
lolzcat

Brazil v Argentina world cup qualifier this afternoon went a crazy. Brazilian health authorities decided that some of the Argentina team should have been in covid quarantine, so some health officials walked onto the pitch after seven minutes and halted the game. Dont see that every day. Game has now been abandoned.

Seems like it's the Argentina players who play in England are the ones they're protesting about although nothing official yet. Brazilian covid rules say they should have been in quarantine for 14 days after arriving.

Good luck to FIFA sorting that all out.

Last edited by Critch : 09-05-2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-05-2021, 05:21 PM   #40
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Brazil v Argentina world cup qualifier this afternoon went a crazy. Brazilian health authorities decided that some of the Argentina team should have been in covid quarantine, so some health officials walked onto the pitch after seven minutes and halted the game. Dont see that every day. Game has now been abandoned.

Seems like it's the Argentina players who play in England are the ones they're protesting about although nothing official yet. Brazilian covid rules say they should have been in quarantine for 14 days after arriving.

At least there isn't an active coup d'etat underway (which is why Morocco is trying to escape from Guinea instead of playing their match)
Old 09-05-2021, 08:51 PM   #41
RainMaker
General Manager

World Cup field expansion can't come soon enough. Although maybe that won't even be enough for the US to qualify.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:53 PM   #42
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Was at the USA vs Canada game and they looked really off. I just dislike Brooks on D, he seems so slow to make decisions and move the ball. The Canadian players spent so much time on the ground. Having watched all of the Concacaf games, these team just was not playing together well.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:58 PM   #43
RainMaker
General Manager

Did GB forget to make subs? Why did he wait so long with a squad that was completely gassed?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:17 PM   #44
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I was thinking the same thing regarding the subs. Not a great lineup or coaching job in this one.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:11 AM   #45
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

There is some reporting that the health agency issued the decision to call off the match three hours before the match. The football authorities just tried to ignore the decision.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:19 AM   #46
miked
College Starter

As usual, questionable defending and questionable coaching. Waiting until the 84th minute to make some changes is silly.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:41 PM   #47
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:

This should be an easy 3-0 loss for Argentina here, despite that both football associations are doing crazy stuff here.

Reportedly the Argentinian players tried to get away with fraud to be able to get into Brazil. Did they really expect to be able to return to the UK without getting arrested there? Surely these players will be suspended by the (English) FA upon return to their clubs.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:13 AM   #48
bhlloy
Coordinator

So let me get this straight... the Brazilian FA has had FIFA suspend the players who didn't show up for the games during this break, but had they shown up for the games they would have had to quarantine for 14 days and missed the games anyway?

Seems like only FIFA could fuck a situation up this badly, unless I'm missing something?

Last edited by bhlloy : 09-08-2021 at 10:13 AM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #49
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
So let me get this straight... the Brazilian FA has had FIFA suspend the players who didn't show up for the games during this break, but had they shown up for the games they would have had to quarantine for 14 days and missed the games anyway?

Seems like only FIFA could fuck a situation up this badly, unless I'm missing something?

Brazilian nationals coming home from the UK were not required to quarantine. The problem for their clubs is that they would be required to quarantine upon their return to the UK.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:20 AM   #50
miami_fan
Coordinator

Also it is not just Brazil that has complained. Paraguay, Chile and Mexico have also complained which may affect Wolves, Newcastle, Watford and Blackburn.