Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-09-2022, 02:46 PM   #401
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I know nobody was high on Wentz, but who do the Colts get to replace him? They still also need to get a left tackle to protect the future qb and a receiver for the qb to throw it to.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 03-09-2022 at 02:47 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 03:08 PM   #402
RainMaker
General Manager

I think it is very good to get out of that Wentz contract. And getting a few picks to boot seems like a bonus.

As for who they get, I imagine it'll be a temporary guy for at least a season. Bridgewater, Dalton, that tier. And they'd be cheaper than Wentz (while being as productive) so some money could be used to fill holes. Then maybe hope someone like Pickett falls to you in Round 2 (or trade up with the extra picks you've added).

That Wentz contract is an albatross and they should be ecstatic they got out of it. I think an overall good move for the Colts.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 08:37 PM   #403
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I know nobody was high on Wentz, but who do the Colts get to replace him? They still also need to get a left tackle to protect the future qb and a receiver for the qb to throw it to.

Give up a 1st for Garrapalo?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 08:38 PM   #404
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Give up a 1st for Garrapalo?

They don't have a 1st because of the Wentz trade last year.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:52 PM   #405
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Smoke out there that Watson will get traded if he isn’t indicted on Friday.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:04 AM   #406
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Looks like Landon Collins was a salary cap casualty due to the Wentz trade.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:51 AM   #407
QuikSand
lolzcat

Is there really enough of a market for SF to demand a 1st for Jimmy G? Serious question... I wouldn't have thought so, you'd have to take a $24m cap hit with him, if I understand correctly. I was thinking nominal consideration and a willingness to eat that would suffice.

But I suppose if PIT, IND, TB and others are potential suitors, maybe I'm reading that incorrectly. (I personally don't grade him much more highly than Bridgewater or Mariotta or even Trubisky)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:54 AM   #408
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I agree with Q's post 100%. And that is before taking surgery on his throwing shoulder into account.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 03-10-2022 at 12:58 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:58 AM   #409
Ksyrup

Seems like teams are going to start falling over themselves as the seats get taken in musical chairs. Feels like Washington ran out to make sure they had a guy, and although they may not have overpaid, they got it done pretty quickly after the consensus top 2 potential acquisitions were off the board. And he comes with significant baggage.

Maybe SF is shooting for the stars hoping as Watson, Winston, Bridgewater, etc., come off the board, someone is going to panic and meet their demands.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-10-2022 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-10-2022, 01:26 PM   #410
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I have to imagine the 49ers value getting his contract off the books almost as much as whatever they get in return for him. Feels like a 3rd rounder is what he goes for, maybe a 2nd rounder if someone is feeling desperate.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:38 PM   #411
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I have to imagine the 49ers value getting his contract off the books almost as much as whatever they get in return for him. Feels like a 3rd rounder is what he goes for, maybe a 2nd rounder if someone is feeling desperate.

Does straight-up for Brady make sense? TB needs a QB. Brady (I think) wants to unretire to play in SF. And SF should jump at that, right?

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 03-10-2022 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-10-2022, 01:43 PM   #412
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
"Commanders".

That still requires some getting used to.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 08:58 PM   #413
QuikSand
lolzcat

Khalil Mack to the Chargers... they're yet another team pushing all in with a plus QB still on a rookie-contract. It's just becoming obvious at this point.

I'm honestly not sure whether that's the right move for them, but if he's even 75% of the monster he once was (and at 31 that's not unlikely) that defense could be really fun to watch. If they can patch up the run defense enough to just not be awful, that could be a really fun team.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:59 PM   #414
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Pair Mack up with the guys they already have and on paper its absurd.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:36 PM   #415
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm happy the bears were able to get from under that contract. It hurts this year, but clears $28 mil for 2023 and it's not like they were going to be good this year with or without Mack. Ryan Poles is doing something that needed to happen and that's gut the team and rebuild.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:37 PM   #416
sabotai
General Manager

Aside from the cap hit, it's only going to cost them a 2nd and a 6th. Bosa and Mack on the same defense. Even if Mack is passed his prime, that's a scary pass rush tandem. According to Sports Info Solutions, last year Bosa had a pressure% of 16.4% and Mack's was 13.4%.

Last edited by sabotai : 03-10-2022 at 09:39 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:41 PM   #417
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Khalil Mack to the Chargers... they're yet another team pushing all in with a plus QB still on a rookie-contract. It's just becoming obvious at this point.

I'm honestly not sure whether that's the right move for them, but if he's even 75% of the monster he once was (and at 31 that's not unlikely) that defense could be really fun to watch. If they can patch up the run defense enough to just not be awful, that could be a really fun team.

To get a couple of years of Mack for a second rounder seems like a good bargain. He missed a lot of time this season after toe surgery. I don't see why he can't come back just as disruptive as ever. If I were a Chargers fan, this might feel like a game-changer, because it's exactly what they need and didn't have in that season-ending mess against the Raiders.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 10:58 PM   #418
rjolley
College Starter

I like it for the Bears. They get more draft capital and some cap room, which is what they need. Mack felt like more of a luxury with the roster they currently have.

I wouldn't mind seeing Quinn go as well depending on the deal, but that may be giving up too much.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 12:28 AM   #419
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Does straight-up for Brady make sense? TB needs a QB. Brady (I think) wants to unretire to play in SF. And SF should jump at that, right?

Without the context of Trey Lance? Sure. But I think the franchise wants to move on and away from aging vets to see what they have in Lance.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:25 AM   #420
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
I like it for the Bears. They get more draft capital and some cap room, which is what they need.

Of course, the downside is that it's the Bears doing the drafting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Without the context of Trey Lance? Sure. But I think the franchise wants to move on and away from aging vets to see what they have in Lance.

I wonder, tbh. They've had him for a year and stuck with Jimmy G while all the other rookie QBs started.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 02:17 PM   #421
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
To get a couple of years of Mack for a second rounder seems like a good bargain. He missed a lot of time this season after toe surgery. I don't see why he can't come back just as disruptive as ever. If I were a Chargers fan, this might feel like a game-changer, because it's exactly what they need and didn't have in that season-ending mess against the Raiders.

It makes sense for both teams. Bears aren't competing next year and they likely don't want to be taking a $30 million cap hit for 34-year old Khalil Mack in a few years. So this gets them out of that spot and gives them a nice pick in return (they don't have a 1st this year).

Chargers are in win-now mode and have the space while Herbert is on his rookie deal. That's a formidable pass rush in a division where you'll need it.

My fear for the Chargers is that Mack hasn't been that great the past couple seasons. Maybe putting him together with Bosa will ease some of those double teams.
Old 03-11-2022, 02:48 PM   #422
QuikSand
lolzcat

Very interested to see what the Chargers do from here. They seem like an obvious spot for the big DT Davis in round one, but his combine might render that optimistic now. Regardless, we know they have a fun passing attack and a good cheap QB, but the run defense was a deeply exploitable unit last year, and if they don't get better at that, they will be very vulnerable to just about any credible team. Run defense is mostly a matter of math (how many players to you commit to it) but they need a bit more talent there, it seems.

Every team has needs. They could use another outside corner, maybe more at in-line TE, possibly a RT. They still have cap space to spend, and it feels like they're definitely aiming for immediate impact. But, Bobby Wagner would be an awesome fit here, tbh.
Old 03-11-2022, 02:53 PM   #423
Atocep
Coordinator

The Bears release Danny Trevathan, who has been god awful for 2 straight years yet announcers go on and on about how good he is and how important he was to the Bears defense.

It sounds like Eddie Goldman should be traded soon. If he can get back to playing like he did before he took a year off for Covid he's a solid player. He wasn't that last year.
Old 03-11-2022, 02:54 PM   #424
Atocep
Coordinator

And Tarik Cohen also released. I'm loving Ryan Poles so far.
Old 03-11-2022, 02:57 PM   #425
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
And Tarik Cohen also released. I'm loving Ryan Poles so far.

...that was a dreadful contract for him. Good decision, and I kinda like him as a complementary player.
Old 03-11-2022, 03:34 PM   #426
RainMaker
General Manager

I like Cohen and with a competent coach, I think he could have been a really nice player. But it seems like his knee is messed up. Glad he got paid though.

Goldman was cut it seems. He didn't try last year and I can't imagine there was any market for him. Maybe someone takes a flyer on him in free agency but I wouldn't be surprised if he just retired.
Old 03-11-2022, 04:14 PM   #427
Ksyrup

Watson cleared of charges. Where does he end up?
Old 03-11-2022, 04:23 PM   #428
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

They brought nine charges against him, eight of the women testified and with a grand jury in Texas, nine of the twelve jurors only need to find probable cause for an indictment. Nine rejections. Watson probably wasn't even in the building.

Usually, prosecutors won't even bring cases forward that don't meet that standard.

It doesn't mean he's out of the woods yet with the NFL, but as far as criminal proceedings go, this is over.
Old 03-11-2022, 05:01 PM   #429
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Either Pennsylvania team is a good guess.
Old 03-12-2022, 09:23 AM   #430
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Prepare to be shocked.

Calvin Ridley betting: Falcons WR bet on more NFL games than revealed - Sports Illustrated
Old 03-12-2022, 09:37 AM   #431
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Pit bulls (what's Michael Vick up to nowadays?) and gambling on your sport. I guess not as bad as a murderer or spouse abuse but still pretty bad.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 09:43 AM   #432
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

I say Panthers or Eagles.

Rumor had the Panthers trying to get him even when the charges were still over his head. And they have the #6 overall pick this year. And their new owner has proven himself to be more reckless than patient.

And the Eagles have three first round picks this year, which gives them enough capital to overpay if it turns into a bidding war.

You would also think that Watson (a Clemson guy) would be fine coming back to the Carolinas and with the big market in Philadelphia.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 03-12-2022 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-13-2022, 01:08 PM   #433
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Panthers, Saints have offered deals for Deshaun Watson, likely to meet with QB soon

How would the Saints afford him? Aren't they a bazillion dollars over the cap right now?
Old 03-13-2022, 01:25 PM   #434
Kodos
Resident Alien

I guess Kaepernick would’ve been better off if he’d just been sexually creepy with multiple women…
Old 03-13-2022, 03:24 PM   #435
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I guess Kaepernick would’ve been better off if he’d just been sexually creepy with multiple women…

Grab em by the pussy.
Old 03-13-2022, 06:22 PM   #436
Ksyrup

Um, Tom Brady is coming back.
Old 03-13-2022, 06:41 PM   #437
bhlloy
Coordinator

The day after his final touchdown ball went for over $500k at auction. That feels like the ultimate troll job.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 06:52 PM   #438
miami_fan
Coordinator

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 06:58 PM   #439
HerRealName
College Prospect

Wasn't there a guy that just paid half a million on the game ball from Brady's last TD pass? That has to hurt.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 07:15 PM   #440
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The day after his final touchdown ball went for over $500k at auction. That feels like the ultimate troll job.

I wonder if there is any legal recourse. Probably not but that is kind of bunk.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:21 PM   #441
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Um, Tom Brady is coming back.

Now I really hate him.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:30 PM   #442
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I wonder if there is any legal recourse. Probably not but that is kind of bunk.

The risk of him coming back is priced into the value of things like that. The buyer bet on him staying retired and lost.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:08 PM   #443
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The risk of him coming back is priced into the value of things like that. The buyer bet on him staying retired and lost.

It's unlikely if he says he's coming back that he won't follow through, but at 45, there is still a significant chance the risk paid off.

I think this will be just about the last longevity record Brady can set - he'll be the oldest non-kicker to play in a game since the 1920s, and he'll be the oldest quarterback to start a game (Steve DeBerg started one game when he came out of retirement - five years after retiring) to play backup for Atlanta in 1998 at age 44.

Looking at the box score, DeBerg had just turned 45 when he stood on the sidelines in Super Bowl XXXIII, so Brady would have to reach the Super Bowl next year to become the oldest non-position player to be on a Super Bowl active roster.

Last edited by Solecismic : 03-13-2022 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-13-2022, 09:34 PM   #444
QuikSand
lolzcat

Sammie Watkins is only 28 years old. I mean... he's younger than Davante Adams, barely older than Byron Pringle. Wow, I would have lost that bet.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:38 AM   #445
miami_fan
Coordinator

The jokes and memes about Tom Brady spending time with his wife and kids and immediately running back to football have been crude, disrespectful and some of the funniest stuff I have seen on the internet in a while.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:45 AM   #446
Ksyrup

I bet the guy who spent all that money on what was supposed to be Brady's last TD ball is a bit deflated.
Old 03-14-2022, 07:52 AM   #447
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

My guess is that his family took a look at how depressed he'd been for the past month, contemplating a future without football, and told him to unretire and be happy.

He reminds me of high-level executives I've met who could absolutely retire but won't because they live to work.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 08:20 AM   #448
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
The jokes and memes about Tom Brady spending time with his wife and kids and immediately running back to football have been crude, disrespectful and some of the funniest stuff I have seen on the internet in a while.

I saw a good one that said he filled his gas tank up once and realized he had to go back to work.
Old 03-14-2022, 08:21 AM   #449
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Sammie Watkins is only 28 years old. I mean... he's younger than Davante Adams, barely older than Byron Pringle. Wow, I would have lost that bet.

This is not possible...
Old 03-14-2022, 09:03 AM   #450
Ksyrup

Interesting discussion on The Athletic about the Brady/49ers conspiracy theories, that he retired quickly to allow his agents maximum time to back-channel requests to be traded to SF, and that when TB held firm and he was out of options, he announced he was coming back to TB before FA so everyone knew he'd be QB before they signed anywhere else.