Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-03-2022, 02:47 PM   #251
BYU 14
Coordinator

I put a a couple of small wagers on Vlad to lead MLB in dingers at +700 and Corbin Byrnes to win the NL CY at +750
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:17 AM   #252
miami_fan
Coordinator

Annual update alert.

A free season of MLB.tv is free for T-Mobile users today.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 11:36 AM   #253
molson
General Manager

Chris Sale's on the 60-day DL again, which means we'll get to hear for months about what a great "trade deadline" acquisition he'll be. He'll make a few mediocre starts in late August and then get shut down out of "caution".

Only $84 million left on the contract.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 02:15 PM   #254
miami_fan
Coordinator

Somebody is going to to get crossed up due to the catcher having fat fingers.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-06-2022, 07:39 AM   #255
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Tigers and Orioles mutually agreed to cancel today's exhibition game due to a lack of available pitching. Insert joke here.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:23 AM   #256
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Somebody is going to to get crossed up due to the catcher having fat fingers.

I don't understand what this means
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:25 AM   #257
Ksyrup

Probably the new electronic pitch-calling device that the catcher wears on his wrist to signal pitches to the pitcher. I don't know what it looks like, but if it's like a wristwatch with numerous buttons, I could see someone accidentally calling the wrong pitch. But apparently those who tried it during ST liked it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-06-2022, 08:28 AM   #258
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Probably the new electronic pitch-calling device that the catcher wears on his wrist to signal pitches to the pitcher. I don't know what it looks like, but if it's like a wristwatch with numerous buttons, I could see someone accidentally calling the wrong pitch. But apparently those who tried it during ST liked it.

fucking Astros
Old 04-06-2022, 08:30 AM   #259
Ksyrup

I think it's a great thing. Imagine the Red Sox and Yankees in the playoffs NOT taking 90-120 seconds between pitches with a runner on 2B because the pitcher/catcher can't get on the same page about the pitch call without changing signs 3 times and conferencing twice between every pitch.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-06-2022 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-06-2022, 10:09 AM   #260
tarcone
Coordinator

Albert Pujols to start in his 22nd opener. What a great achievement in itself.

Hoping for some magic this season. The parade after a WS win with the 3 old men retiring would be epic.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:47 PM   #261
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think it's a great thing. Imagine the Red Sox and Yankees in the playoffs NOT taking 90-120 seconds between pitches with a runner on 2B because the pitcher/catcher can't get on the same page about the pitch call without changing signs 3 times and conferencing twice between every pitch.

It'll still take 90-120 seconds with them dicking around in the box. It'll just save the 60 seconds after that like you said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
fucking Astros
Once again, showing that MLB's cynical PR calculations paid off. The Astros get branded as the only ones cheating despite the Yankees and Red Sox getting fined for DOING THE EXACT SAME THING THE EXACT SAME YEAR in 2017. And a number of non-Astros sources around baseball said that between a half dozen and 10 teams did it - basically any of the ones that were any good (Dodgers, Brewers, Cubs, Nats, Indians, DBacks, Jays) and even some that weren't (Rangers got named a couple of times)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 12:51 PM   #262
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The hobby market on Topps Chrome is going madness with Witt, Rodriguez and Torkleson all on opening day rosters. That allows topps to include them in this years Chrome product. Jumbo boxes are around 1000$ for preorder, which is roughly 2-3X what 2021 Chrome was going for(sells at approx 350$ right now, dunno what it was last year). Wander Franco hobby hype has already been huge and he will also be in this set. As will Oneil Cruz and some other prospects who debuted in late 2021(Shane Baz, although pitchers have suspect hobby value)

Last edited by stevew : 04-06-2022 at 12:52 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 03:34 PM   #263
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

Once again, showing that MLB's cynical PR calculations paid off. The Astros get branded as the only ones cheating despite the Yankees and Red Sox getting fined for DOING THE EXACT SAME THING THE EXACT SAME YEAR in 2017. And a number of non-Astros sources around baseball said that between a half dozen and 10 teams did it - basically any of the ones that were any good (Dodgers, Brewers, Cubs, Nats, Indians, DBacks, Jays) and even some that weren't (Rangers got named a couple of times)

SI

garbagecansayswhat?

Last edited by Lathum : 04-06-2022 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:15 PM   #264
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
garbagecansayswhat?

Yup, worked like a charm

SI

Old 04-06-2022, 04:36 PM   #265
Swaggs
Coordinator

Through all the steroids and sign stealing, we’ve never had to worry about the Pirates being good enough for people to worry about them cheating. The only wave that they ever rode was cocaine in the 80’s (and they weren’t good then either).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:12 PM   #266
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't understand what this means

MLB to allow pitchers, catchers to use anti-sign-stealing technology during regular season

The article has a short video of a catcher using the device.
Old 04-06-2022, 07:30 PM   #267
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
MLB to allow pitchers, catchers to use anti-sign-stealing technology during regular season

The article has a short video of a catcher using the device.

Have to laugh at the sentence talking about this as a big phenomenon over the last 10 years. This goes back to the late 1800's and has never gone away.

check out this article, and the advanced technology for the time period

The shocking history of sign stealing in baseball
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 10:00 PM   #268
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

My favorite sign-stealing story was this one (SIGNS OF THE TIMES – Sun Sentinel)

Quote:
1948: Using a telescope from a World War II navy ship, future Hall of Famers Bob Lemon and Bob Feller stole signs from opposing catchers. When they weren't pitching for Cleveland, Lemon and Feller took the telescope into the scoreboard and called out the pitches to a groundskeeper, who signaled to the hitter through an opening in the out-of-town scores section of the scoreboard.

Where's that groundswell of support to kick Lemon and Feller out of the Hall of Fame?

Or how Bobby Thomson's "shot heard round the world" was probably sign stealing enabled, using a buzzer device. Or how the 1980s White Sox used a bulb on the scoreboard.

I might have even written like 8000 words about it: The Astros and the long history of sign-stealing in baseball - Royals Review

But, of course none of that matters, right? Let's just put our hands in our ears and talk about how it was just the Astros and in the late 2010s. It's never happened before or since. And it definitely was just the Astros and a couple of people connected to the Astros. That definitely wasn't a cynical play by MLB to try to sweep this all under the rug. And it definitely didn't work.

It's especially stupid to see people like Brian Cashman blame his Yankees woes on that when they got fined in 2017 for it. Or that jackass Joe Kelly endearing himself to Dodgers fans by going after the Astros when, of course, he was on the Red Sox team that also got fined in 2017 for stealing signs. Then again, pretty much every source named the Dodgers as a team doing it, too, but, no, Dodger fans insist their team must be clean. You know, a team that loved to fake injuries to pitchers to manipulate the 40-man. Pure as the driven snow.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-07-2022 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:13 AM   #269
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It doesn't feel the same as year's past, with it being delayed and the major sports outlets talking golf or basketball or whatever. I think the lockout has drawn some attention away, especially with everything delayed and moved around.

Still, it's one of the best sports days of the year. Happy Opening Day!

SI

Old 04-07-2022, 09:42 AM   #270
tarcone
Coordinator

YAY for opening day!

Baseball is a sport made to find loopholes (cheat).

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:40 PM   #271
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Oof

KeBryan Hayes signs a 70 million dollar deal then gets hurt and has to leave the first inning of opening day.

Last edited by Lathum : 04-07-2022 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:51 PM   #272
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Oof

KeBryan Hayes signs a 70 million dollar deal then gets hurt and has to leave the first inning of opening day.

Mind telling me what happened? I missed a few at bats while getting my son off the bus.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:52 PM   #273
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Nevermind. It was on the bloop by Carlson apparently.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:57 PM   #274
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Most Steals
Miles Straw- 15-1

One in the books baby!
Old 04-07-2022, 03:59 PM   #275
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Oof

Got hurt in the opening series last year.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:11 PM   #276
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Lead the league in Home Runs

Tyler ONeil- 25-1

One in the books!

I promise I won't do this all year
Old 04-07-2022, 07:29 PM   #277
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Just the first 10 or so

SI

Old 04-07-2022, 08:36 PM   #278
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Joey Votto just set himself up for a couple million dollars as a TV analyst/commentator after he retires. He did a full interview/commentary throughout the bottom of the fourth inning...

while playing first base.

Especially about asking Albies if he should get a gold or diamond tooth.

If you can find the video on this, DO IT. Watch it the whole way through
Old 04-08-2022, 12:20 PM   #279
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I’m enjoying the start of this yankee game.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:31 PM   #280
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This game is drunk.
Old 04-08-2022, 02:08 PM   #281
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I know it is what it is, but Joe Maddon making 2 out pitching changes always makes me hate baseball.

Also Joey Gallo in midseason form already.
Old 04-08-2022, 02:36 PM   #282
RainMaker
General Manager

Old but seems relevant to the Angels.

RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 03:54 PM   #283
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Hell of a come from behind win by the Tigers. They are gonna be pesky, especially if Mize takes a step forward.
Old 04-08-2022, 07:00 PM   #284
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I realize I am spoiled by the best broadcast crew in baseball with the Mets, but this crew doing the Apple TV game is, not great...
Old 04-08-2022, 07:13 PM   #285
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I know it is what it is, but Joe Maddon making 2 out pitching changes always makes me hate baseball.

Also Joey Gallo in midseason form already.

If we're going to ban or alter pitching changes, I'm for banning pitching changes with 1 or 2 outs and no one on base (except in case of injury - and if a player is "injured", they have to go on the IL for like 10+ days so you can't just fake an injury).

SI

Old 04-08-2022, 08:36 PM   #286
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
I realize I am spoiled by the best broadcast crew in baseball with the Mets, but this crew doing the Apple TV game is, not great...

Second best.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:50 PM   #287
RainMaker
General Manager

The Mets are the only broadcasting team I can think of that successfully pulls off the 3 man booth.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:01 PM   #288
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It makes me think that I was too harsh on ESPN.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:23 PM   #289
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Second best.

I know I am a Mets fan, but I watch a ton of baseball and they are the best. Giants are great also. I really like Seattle and Colorado as well. Remmy is great in Boston but Eck is a mess. I love Baltimore as well. Thorne is great.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:40 AM   #290
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah, the Mets have a great team. They're the only setup I would put on the same level as the Giants. And I'm a homer and a half, so it's probably fair to say that I am not an unbiased judge and that the Mets broadcast team may, in fact, be better than the Giants.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:02 AM   #291
Ksyrup

Quote:
I know I am a Mets fan, but I watch a ton of baseball and they are the best. Giants are great also. I really like Seattle and Colorado as well. Remmy is great in Boston but Eck is a mess. I love Baltimore as well. Thorne is great.

Unfortunately, Remy was great.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:10 AM   #292
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Unfortunately, Remy was great.

Shit. I didn't realize.

Bummer. We vacation in Nantucket every August, his calls are like the soundtrack to my summer. Thats a real downer.
Old 04-09-2022, 04:33 PM   #293
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If we're talking radio broadcasts, I love the Tigers radio team. Best in the league for me.

SI

Old 04-09-2022, 05:34 PM   #294
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Brewers have now hit 4 Cubs players in 2 games. Including Wilson Contreras twice.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:11 PM   #295
Swaggs
Coordinator

Interesting structuring to Ke’Bryan Hayes’ deal.

Jason Mackey on Twitter: "Ke'Bryan Hayes' contract structure, per source:
2022: $10M
2023: $10M
2024: $7M
2025: $7M
2026: $7M
2027: $7M
2028: $8M
2029: $8M
2030: $12M club option/$6M buyout
$70M guaranteed/$76M possible"

Super front-loaded. Could be really helpful to small market team, like the Pirates, if/when they ever hit their window to compete.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 06:53 PM   #296
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Is it sad that the first thing I saw there was that it's super tradeable if they don't?

SI

Old 04-09-2022, 06:57 PM   #297
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Brewers have now hit 4 Cubs players in 2 games. Including Wilson Contreras twice.

Nats pitchers have hit 5 Mets in the first 20 innings of the season, including 2 in the face.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:53 PM   #298
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Interesting structuring to Ke’Bryan Hayes’ deal.

Jason Mackey on Twitter: "Ke'Bryan Hayes' contract structure, per source:
2022: $10M
2023: $10M
2024: $7M
2025: $7M
2026: $7M
2027: $7M
2028: $8M
2029: $8M
2030: $12M club option/$6M buyout
$70M guaranteed/$76M possible"

Super front-loaded. Could be really helpful to small market team, like the Pirates, if/when they ever hit their window to compete.

Will be interesting to see if it’s a Ricky Williams MasterP type awful
Old 04-09-2022, 10:45 PM   #299
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Will be interesting to see if it’s a Ricky Williams MasterP type awful

I don't think it's a bad deal. We have to remember with the current system, he would have only been earning $700k this season and next. Then some arbitration numbers that would at best be around what he's going to be making.

So he makes considerably more than he would have for the next 5 years. And in return, he gives up 3-4 years of potentially making a lot more if he turns into a star (which is unlikely).

To me, $70 million is a ton of money. If I'm Hayes, the risk is too high to pass that up.
Old 04-09-2022, 11:52 PM   #300
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Understand that he probably does get 21 million “early” on the first 4 years but that backend is 29-35 million for his first 4 free agent seasons which is roughly his age 30 to 33 years. He should be a 2-4 WAR player each year. How much is 3 war going to be worth in 2028? Like conservatively 30 million? I don’t think he’s going to be a huge star but this deal is near his realistic floor, not the ceiling. He was considered a 60 rated prospect who projects to hit around .300 with 15-20 homers and near elite defense. His hand was messed up all season and he still posted positive war despite his power being dramatically affected.