On this day, it's so real to me
Everything has come to life
Another chance to chase a dream
'Nother chance to feel
Chance to feel alive
Old 01-26-2020, 10:15 PM   #8502
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

That was one of the better-paced rumble matches I'd seen. The first half definitely lent itself to not have as much clutter as usual, and the second half was pretty good with the storylines interwoven.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:47 PM   #8503
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
On this day I see clearly
A bitter place and a broken dream
And leave it all behind
On this day, it's so real to me
Another chance to chase a dream
'Nother chance to feel
Chance to feel alive

How does a production staff miss his first spear in 9 years?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:37 PM   #8504
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
How does a production staff miss his first spear in 9 years?

That ought to get somebody fired honestly.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:49 AM   #8505
Mota
College Benchwarmer

What did you guys think? I was frankly surprised that so little new blood was part of the rumble, it was mostly retreads and guys that have been there for 10 years or more.

Lesnar dominating was a huge sign of the WWE's problems. The guy who appears once every 3 months makes all of the regular wrestlers look like complete buffoons.

In the end they sacrificed a lot of wrestlers to make Drew McIntyre look good. So I guess it could be worth it depending on how they do with him.

I also really enjoyed seeing Edge back. He looked great! My son commented on how old he looked. We were there in the 5th row in his retirement show in 2011, so it really has been a long time since he has wrestled. He obviously has taken a lot of time in the past year going to the gym.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:33 PM   #8506
RainMaker
General Manager

I really enjoyed the Rumble, but I don't follow WWE too closely and stopped caring about the long term storylines.

- Lesnar run was a lot of fun. He's a great monster heel. Thought how they booked guys like Kofi, Rey, and Lee around him.

- Edge return was great. He is in incredible shape. I had no idea he was coming back so it was a great surprise.

- Drew seems like a good guy to push. Has all the tools. Needs a better theme!

Honestly the only thing I hated was the production. They miss so much so they can get dumb crowd shots. Missed the huge Edge spear, missed a major elimination, and the constant camera cuts make me dizzy (especially at the end with Rollins crew).

Reminds me that when AJ returned the production botched that and were focused on Reigns instead of the titantron showing AJ's name. For real WWE, enough with the endless crowd shots, get someone talented into your company to do this shit.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:06 PM   #8507
RainMaker
General Manager

This is just horrific production. Most of the focus is on the crowd and not the guy coming back who is practically in tears on the entrance ramp. Then they miss him spearing the crap out of Dolph for a crowd shot.

I just don't understand how you go into this moment and think "well the focus here is the crowd".

Old 01-27-2020, 03:10 PM   #8508
RainMaker
General Manager

Also it would be cool if WWE would release a cut of just his entrance. They had to do that with AJ and hopefully the footage exists. He genuinely seems overcome with emotion for a second. Just a great shot if they had kept it.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:17 PM   #8509
RainMaker
General Manager

Guess I'm not the only one who was pissed about that. Imagine having a billion dollar company that is mainly focused on TV production and have to ask your fans for cell phone footage to show one of the biggest wrestling moments in years.

Some of the replies have video of the spear. I know Dolph has some issues, but that man knows how to take a bump.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:28 PM   #8510
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Reminds me that when AJ returned the production botched that and were focused on Reigns instead of the titantron showing AJ's name.

I was actually okay with that though, given the situation.

The idea, since Reigns had time to wait for the next entrant, was to show him not recognizing the music and being surprised along with everyone else. (He even squints at the Titantron to try to figure it out when the unfamiliar music hit).

So the idea wasn't terrible.

The execution, however, was lacking, as the camera didn't cut in time to synch to the audience reaction of Styles appearing from backstage. THAT hurt the moment, but the idea wasn't awful.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:45 PM   #8511
RainMaker
General Manager

Picture in picture would work great for some of those shots. Get a shot of the entrance ramp and the reaction in the ring.

Another fuck up is right as Edge raises his hands during the entrance, they cut to an arena shot of the pyro with no context instead of just staying with the guy and giving us a classic Edge entrance.

It has to be a recent thing because here's an old Edge entrance and they don't get a crowd shot at all. Did they not have a single person in the company who remembered how his entrance went?

Old 01-27-2020, 03:58 PM   #8512
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

They've been doing the crowd shot thing for a few years now, and it's awful. They've missed big moments before, and half the time it's so they can show us some fan staring at his phone or looking bored. It's ridiculous, and something you never see in any kind of real sport, but obviously somebody high up the chain likes it and they're going to keep doing it.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:01 PM   #8513
RainMaker
General Manager

ESPN baseball started doing it recently. Guy rips a liner into the gap and they cut to a guy in the crowd cheering instead of what's happening on the basepaths.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:04 PM   #8514
PilotMan
Head Coach

Betcha Hunter gets his entrances shown in full.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:56 PM   #8515
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I really enjoyed the Rumble, but I don't follow WWE too closely and stopped caring about the long term storylines.

Don't worry, so has the WWE.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:04 PM   #8516
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

WWE has released their "unseen footage" version.

Unseen footage of Edge’s Royal Rumble return on WWE Network - YouTube

Can't they just make this the norm? It's miles better than what we got in the live show.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:36 AM   #8517
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Marty Scurll shows up in Raleigh for the NJPW house show, challenges (the absent) Jay White for an upcoming ROH show in the spring.

That's the third company he's appeared for in the past week, at this rate I figured he'll be at Wrestlemania too.

He's becoming the Mike Portnoy of wrestling.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:38 AM   #8518
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
WWE has released their "unseen footage" version.

Unseen footage of Edge’s Royal Rumble return on WWE Network - YouTube

Can't they just make this the norm? It's miles better than what we got in the live show.

His theme is so good.

When Orton puts in the effort, he's the best heel in the business. I hope they use that to keep Edge off TV for awhile. Make the WM match special.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:55 AM   #8519
RainMaker
General Manager

WWE stock tanking hard after hours for some reason.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:22 AM   #8520
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
WWE stock tanking hard after hours for some reason.

The release of the co-Presidents (George Barrios and Michelle Wilson). Investors rarely like instability.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:54 AM   #8521
RainMaker
General Manager

Some rumors floating around that they will drop below to 1.35 million network subscribers worldwide. Also that USA is not paying for NXT.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:31 PM   #8522
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dear. Lord.

Bad Boy Joey Janela on Twitter: "Let this video speak..... @GCWrestling_

https://t.co/kV7l4SVnjB… "
Old 02-07-2020, 05:12 PM   #8523
RainMaker
General Manager

That strap segment was really good. MJF with the nut kick at the end and running off was such a perfect heel move.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:16 PM   #8524
RainMaker
General Manager

NXT is still good but I'm getting bored with it. Another Gargano-Ciampa feud. Same matches where everyone kicks out of 10 finishers. Feels like it needs a major shakeup.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:23 PM   #8525
RainMaker
General Manager

Interesting strategy to build up The Fiend for a year as an unstoppable force and give the rub to Goldberg at a Thursday afternoon PPV no one cares about.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #8526
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Interesting strategy to build up The Fiend for a year as an unstoppable force and give the rub to Goldberg at a Thursday afternoon PPV no one cares about.

The best course for the WWE would seem to be to simply treat the Saudi shows the same way as they did house shows for years: as though they didn't happen.

They could give the paying crowd the fan service they want while not disrupting the storylines at all.

Still, even with that, I'm not sure that anyone other than the IWC is going to be particularly bothered by this. The average remaining viewer is going to be a lot more nonplussed I suspect.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:07 PM   #8527
RainMaker
General Manager

The Fiend character was fine but I thought they backed themselves in a corner by giving him the title. Wasn't a big fan of the gimmick after awhile and I think they wasted the build on Goldberg. That's a guy you use to get Keith Lee or Matt Riddle over someday.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:08 PM   #8528
RainMaker
General Manager

So Jon, what do you think of WWE selling Wrestlemania off to a network? Lot of rumors about it, although probably not this year.

Still contend the network was a good idea but they should have built it like UFC did. Use it for the library and smaller events. Sell your major PPVs the traditional way (or through services like ESPN+, DAZN, etc).
Old 02-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #8529
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So Jon, what do you think of WWE selling Wrestlemania off to a network? Lot of rumors about it, although probably not this year.

Still contend the network was a good idea but they should have built it like UFC did. Use it for the library and smaller events. Sell your major PPVs the traditional way (or through services like ESPN+, DAZN, etc).

I think they sank that ship honestly. The odds of anyone ever coming up with a single event people (in similar numbers) would ever pay $60 to watch again feel slim to me. I can't entirely blame them if ESPN (or whomever) is dumb enough to pay crazy money for it, but I don't think it does anything except hurt the product/company in every way except the bottom line.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:20 PM   #8530
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
The Fiend character was fine but I thought they backed themselves in a corner by giving him the title. Wasn't a big fan of the gimmick after awhile and I think they wasted the build on Goldberg. That's a guy you use to get Keith Lee or Matt Riddle over someday.

Why guys like Keith Lee or Matt Riddle when you can feed them to Goldberg and Brock Lesnar instead?
Old 03-03-2020, 03:34 PM   #8531
RainMaker
General Manager

We need to talk about Cody's tattoo.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:51 PM   #8532
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Brandi already buried him over it, so that horse is D.E.A.D.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #8533
molson
General Manager

When I just Googled "Cody Rhodes", "tattoo" auto-filled immediately, so that's never a good sign.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:05 PM   #8534
General Mike
Pro Starter

I'm so done with WWE in general. I can't quit watching, but man they need to re-evaluate their life choices.

I am very excited about AEW doing a War Games style match at the show I am going to in 3 weeks. It will be interesting to see which way they go with the teams for the match, but I'm sure it will make more sense than WWE's annual Hell in a Cell show.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:43 AM   #8535
RainMaker
General Manager

Jake the Snake back and cutting a pretty damn good promo on Cody. Wonder if he'll be managing Luke Harper (or whatever his name will be).

"A wise man once told me never ever turn your back on somebody you respect or are afraid of” and then turning his back on Cody and leaving was pretty damn good.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #8536
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Jake the Snake back and cutting a pretty damn good promo on Cody. Wonder if he'll be managing Luke Harper (or whatever his name will be).

"A wise man once told me never ever turn your back on somebody you respect or are afraid of” and then turning his back on Cody and leaving was pretty damn good.
Lance Archer is the current favorite
Old 03-06-2020, 04:33 PM   #8537
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Lance Archer is the current favorite

Forgot he was coming to AEW. Looks like Matt Hardy is too. Women's division is garbage but the men's division is shaping up real well.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:05 AM   #8538
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

This tag-team Elimination Chamber match has been quite entertaining so far. Good mixture of storyline and high spots!
Old 03-09-2020, 12:09 AM   #8539
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

dola, I'm just watching the VOD on the Network.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:24 AM   #8540
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Wow, the crowd shit all over that main event. If Vince wasn't happy with Baszler before he probably hates her now. Just brutal.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #8541
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Forgot he was coming to AEW. Looks like Matt Hardy is too. Women's division is garbage but the men's division is shaping up real well.

Best tag division in wrestling
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 02:58 PM   #8542
RainMaker
General Manager

Sounds like there is maybe a chance Wrestlemania gets cancelled? I guess you can always reschedule it down the road but that would be a huge blow. Not just for the WWE but all the small promotions that have shows there too.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:22 PM   #8543
molson
General Manager

That's starting to feel like an inevitability - apparently the Tampa local government is meeting on it shortly.

I could see it being postponed and the WWE doing some network special Mania weekend in a small venue with only wrestlers and staff present. First ever Vince McMahon's living room Royal Rumble match - where wrestlers are eliminated by being thrown over one of four large sofas positioned around the room perimeter. (Or maybe just something from the performance center).

Last edited by molson : 03-11-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:26 PM   #8544
RainMaker
General Manager

I guess it's a bad idea to have people converge to one spot from around the world. The audience for Wrestlemania seems global.

Wrestling adapts so I don't see why they couldn't just delay it for a couple months and hold it in some arena in June. Massive revenue loss, and not great for storylines, but it's scripted so you can do whatever you want.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:11 AM   #8545
molson
General Manager

Smackdown will air Friday from the WWE performance center.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:15 AM   #8546
molson
General Manager

Smackdown without fans was an extraordinary show. Just like after 9/11, the WWE will no doubt be the last ones willing to shut down, and will be the first ones back to normal when that time comes. Being forced into crazy circumstances is really when they're at their best.

Last edited by molson : 03-14-2020 at 03:17 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:17 PM   #8547
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Wrestlemania 36 has officially been moved to the performance center without fans. The date has not changed.

WWE statement regarding WrestleMania 36 | WWE

Considering nothing else is going on sports related, I wonder what the chances this ends up broadcasting on Fox or NBC? It'd be nice if they made it a two day event since they insist on making it so long.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:19 PM   #8548
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Wrestlemania 36 has officially been moved to the performance center without fans. The date has not changed.

WWE statement regarding WrestleMania 36 | WWE

Considering nothing else is going on sports related, I wonder what the chances this ends up broadcasting on Fox or NBC? It'd be nice if they made it a two day event since they insist on making it so long.

I cant imagine how terrible it is going to be with no fans. I think Vince needs to think this over and postpone.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:47 PM   #8549
RainMaker
General Manager

Not sure I understand the thought process behind this. I get putting on a show. Call it whatever you want. But it's not Wrestlemania.

There is nothing stopping the company from renting out an arena in 6 months and hosting a Wrestlemania.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:53 PM   #8550
thesloppy
Pro Starter

They should have just one, single fan there and mic 'em up for his/her reactions to all the over-the-top shenanigans & intros.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote