Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Werewolf CXII - The Red Death - GAME OVER

The Red Death

Long ago in an unknown age, an evil, arcane and powerful entity was banished to our realm from places much higher and grander. When the Red Death entered our existence is not recorded, but all of human history has been affected by it. It’s unknown, malevolent presence taints the world and all in it. It is the truth behind tales of butchery and malevolence, behind fables of demons and devils.

The Red Death manipulates the world to its own end. It has servants and monsters, science and magic, all within its clutches. It animates corpses, drives good people mad, possesses minds, causes one’s blood to boil, taints nature, and despises righteousness.

In the shadowy recesses of our world lurk dark and disturbing creatures of nightmare and worse. These wickedly evil monstrosities are still yet nothing compared to the Red Death itself, which permeates our world.

During the ages of man, various people have tried to fight against it, from Imhotep to Merlin to Francis Bacon, various secret societies have sprung up to fight against the agents of the Red Death.

Magic is, of course, quite real, but it is tainted by the Red Death. Those who choose to practice it risk corruption by the Red Death. Governments are either ignorant of it, or secretly in line with it, but none fight against it. The Red Death controls all, dominates all, and taints all.

It has many pawns, agents, servants, worshippers and lackeys. Its power is immense, it has no physical form, and cannot be fought through strength of arms or steel of heart.

And yet, there are a cadre of Lightbringers who choose to fight against it and its agents. Perhaps they will not win today or tomorrow or even in a century, but by keeping up the fight, they set back plans and may enable humanity enough time to figure out a way to defeat the Red Death.

It is March 3, 1893, and a group of Lightbringers have assembled in Cape Girardeau, Missouri to discuss a plan for the Red Death to create some major mystical corruption at the World’s Fair being held in Chicago in May. Unfortunately, evidence appears to suggest that the Red Death has discovered and infiltrated your group somehow.

There are many ways this may have happened. Corruption. Possession. Shapeshifters. Vampirism. Lycanthropy. Bribery. Sympathetic Magic. These are just the ones you think of immediately, there are surely more.

However, as members of the Lightbringers, you are not without your own set of powers and abilities.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-26-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The Rules

In this game there are two factions, the Servants of the Red Death, and the Lightbringers. Each day, the group will vote, and the voted member will be the subject of a Cleansing Flame spell. If the person is a Servant of the Red Death they will die spectacularly. If they are a Lightbringer or anyone else, they will usually die. However, there is a chance that they will survive. Based on statistical evidence, about 1 in 5 subjects of the Cleansing Flame who are good will not die the first time they are exposed to it. No one knows why this is so.

You can be sure that the Red Death and its Servants seek to continue to corrupt your holy order. Therefore, you are convinced that the numbers of the Servants will grow during the course of the game, unless you find and kill them with the Cleansing Flame. Some Lightbringers are so important, that if they are swayed to the other side, another person might gain their abilities.

The Red Death is so powerful, that when someone is corrupted, they will gain a new role and powers and lose their old ones.

Please know that the Servants will have many different ways of attacking you, corrupting you, and so forth. They are quite powerful. However, as the game goes on, they will lose many of their abilities to corrupt.

In order to win, the Lightbringers must kill every Servant of the Red Death. The Servants must have more than the # of Lightbringers (instead of the usual 1:1 ratio), and they must kill every Exorcist and Minister as well. If, at the end of the game, there is one Servant and one Lightbringer left, a special hidden rule will occur to see who wins based on roles. Lightbringers are no chumps.

There are many items in this game, and every player will begin with a random item, even Servants. The only person who brings items into the game, however, is the Scientist. Each night, once, you may pass an item to a person OR A ROLE of your choice, just pm me and let me know.

Some items are obvious – Charms of Protection Against Shapeshifters or Colt Peacemaker. Other items have unknown or more nebulous uses, and you may not immediately know what they all do. Some items my be red herrings.

Not all Servants may be able to pm each other. There are no hidden Lightbringer roles beyond the Exorcized. There may be more than one of each role. When they are killed, Servants of the Red Death will have both their title and their role and abilities posted in the thread. You are experienced enough that you know what a creature is and all about it.

Each day will end at 10 pm EST, the votes will be tabulated, and someone will burn. Night actions are due by 1:00 am three hours later, and then will be processed.

This game will begin on Sunday, with the first deadline Monday night.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-17-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

None of the Red Death roles are known. However, you are aware of these Lightbringer roles:

Keeper of the Cleansing Flame
– Once, as a night action, the Keeper can turn the Cleansing Flame against any player of their choice, with the normal results for the Flame. You can only do this once during the game.

Adept
– You are able to, once per night, cast an Auramancy spell that will tell you if someone is a Servant of the Red Death. However, it has been shown in the past that many Servants do not show up as evil, so this is not a guaranteed way. Each time you choose to cast the Auramancy spell, there is a very small but very real chance that the magic will corrupt you, since all magic comes from the Red Death.

Detective – Once per night, you can Observe Someone. This will tell you what that person has done for the evening. For example, you would learn that an Adept cast a spell, but not what the results were. If you observe another spellcaster, such as the Abjurer, you would not be able to tell the difference between an Adept and them, you would only know that your target cast a spell

The Minister
– You are an ordained minister and your faith in God, despite the presence of the Red Death, is enough to keep you from succumbing to the Red Death. You cannot be corrupted. Additionally, if you are night attacked by a vampire, you will kill the vampire.

The Sheriff – With a horse and gun you keep the peace in Arkansas, and now you will do the same here. Each night, submit an order for who to protect, and that person will be immune to any attack, but not immune to corruption. You may guard yourself, and you may guard the same person any number of times. Due to some cleverly concealed silver bullets, you will kill any lycanthrope that tries to kill you at night, or the person you guard.

Abjurer – Like the adept, you are able to cast a spell at night. Each night, you may cast a Ward of Protection spell on any person you like. That person will be immune to corruption for the night. Also, if you happen to Ward a Servant of the Red Death, and that person was going to take a corruption action on another, it will be stopped. However, like the Adept, whenever you cast a spell, there is a small chance you will be corrupted yourself. You may not take an action on Night One.

The Exorcist – Like the Minister, you are also immune to corruption. Once per night, you can Exorcize a person. If they are possessed, they will stop being possessed, and will re-convert to the Lightbringers. That person will be Exorcized in the thread, and it will be known they were once possessed. New rules for that player will be given to that player, in this event. They will gain a new, hidden role, The Exorcized, with its own powers and restrictions. You are immune to attack from minor undead, and will automatically defeat any minor undead attack (vampires are not minor undead, but zombies, skeletons, etc. are)

The Scientist – You are a clever scientist on the edge of technology and always inventing and tinkering. Each night, you may Make a Gadget.

Martyr – Once in the game, you can place yourself in the Cleansing Flame instead of someone else. Just pm me your desire to do so prior to the Cleansing Fire deadline.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-21-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Player List:

1. ntndeacon
2. PurdueBrad
3. The Jackal
4. Poli
5. dubb
6. J23
7. Telle
8. Autumn
9. Raiders Army - Dead, Slain Night Four - Lightbringer, Minister
10. Danny - Dead, Slain Night Three - Lightbringer
11. henry - Dead, Cleansed Day Three - Lightbringer
12. EagleFan - Dead, Cleansed Day One - Lightbringer
13. hoopsguy
14. Thomkal
15. Barkeep
16. Darth Vilus - Dead, Cleansed Day Three - Servant, Order of Vladd, Third Rank
17. CrimsonFox - Dead, Cleansed Day Three - Lightbringer, Sheriff
18. KWhit
19. Lathum
20. Chief Rum - Dead, Cleansed Day Two - Lightbringer

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-26-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I created this rules set expecting the normal low 20s or high teens, and if we get lower than that, I will have to make adjustments, so expect that possibility. With a smaller set of players, roles would diminish, change, etc.

On the Abe level of complexity, with basic WW game being a complexity of 2 on a scale of 1 - 10, and the most complex WW ever being 10, this is about a 6.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 03-17-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Totally in Abe.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Does this also mean I'm Poli's day one vote?
Old 03-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

in I have no fear of Poli. Vote Poli
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

lol
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
The Jackal
Coordinator

I'm in, hope you get the numbers, they seem to have been dwindling lately
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I'm in for an Abe game.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #12
J23
College Benchwarmer

I'm in.
J23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:50 PM   #13
Telle
College Starter

I'll play.
Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #14
Autumn
Head Coach

Awesome. I'm back and so I'm in.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #15
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'll play
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #16
Danny
Head Coach

havent read rules yet, but Abe's games are always interesting, so

I am in
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #17
henry296
College Starter

in
Old 03-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #18
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

In, I have a trip coming up for work (but don't know when yet) but it shouldn't be for a couple weeks. I should still be able to participate on the trip as I will have internet access but I probably won't be as active during that time.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #19
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'll try to play this one, but daytime availability has been a bit of an issue lately. So I may be playing more catch-up that I'm used to, be it as a Lightbringer or Red Death.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:03 AM   #20
Thomkal
Head Coach

Reading through the rules, I already feel Excedrin Headache #39 coming on, but I guess I'll endure the pain and play anyway
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #21
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I will play.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #22
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I will play.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #23
Autumn
Head Coach

This is looking to turn into a full size game. Let's squeeze out a few more, guys!
Old 03-18-2010, 01:59 PM   #24
Darth Vilus
College Benchwarmer

In

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you…"
―Darth Plagueis the Wise
Darth Vilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #25
The Jackal
Coordinator

I tried to get RendeR but he still has no time in the days or evenings, wishes us fun
Old 03-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #26
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Red Death is my favorite D&D supplement. Abe is so cool
in
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #27
KWhit
Coordinator

I'm in.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #28
Darth Vilus
College Benchwarmer

never played Dand D.

Danny Boy, through descent in there

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you…"
―Darth Plagueis the Wise
Old 03-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #29
Danny
Head Coach

DV, my phone is out of commission for at least the next couple of days (dropped it in the toilet). Hopefully it will work when I try to turn it on in a couple days, but until then just send me a pm if you need to contact me. I'll let you know about golfing tonight or early in the morning.

Also, I bought some paints and brushes at michaels. I just need to pick up a can of plastic primer and some wood stain, I hope to try and get started at least trying to do it this weekend.

Also, our table broke, my wife and I are going to hopefully go buy a new one in the next couple days, hopefully we can get one a little better for games as well.

Any luck getting your day off switched?
Old 03-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #30
Danny
Head Coach

Oh and I figure to get started with the runebound/descent heroes because they use some of the same ones, so if I screw something up, I can just use the other copy I have
Old 03-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #31
Danny
Head Coach

PB, you ever order those games?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:17 PM   #32
Darth Vilus
College Benchwarmer

what's with people dropping their phones in the toilet? That's like the 5th time ive heard that lol.

―Darth Plagueis the Wise
Old 03-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #33
The Jackal
Coordinator

it's just so tempting to examine your phone while you're taking a piss, guys love to multitask
Old 03-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #34
Danny
Head Coach

Just sucks cause I have never lost or had any damage to a phone ever, but then I get a nice one and 4 months later, boom! Grrr.

And yes, it fell mid stream, fortunately I have a well developed pc muscle.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:46 PM   #35
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

whoa, nice turnout...

in
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #36
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Red Death is my favorite D&D supplement. Abe is so cool

does not compute
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #37
Darth Vilus
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Just sucks cause I have never lost or had any damage to a phone ever, but then I get a nice one and 4 months later, boom! Grrr.

And yes, it fell mid stream, fortunately I have a well developed pc muscle.

Oh i get it! 900 numbers! Gotcha boy, secret is safe

―Darth Plagueis the Wise
Old 03-19-2010, 04:09 AM   #38
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
does not compute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masque_of_the_Red_Death_%28Ravenloft%29

which I highly suspect this WW game is based off of. Or were you doubting that Abe was cool?
Old 03-19-2010, 07:04 AM   #39
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
PB, you ever order those games?

Hey Danny, we ordered three of them:

Pandemic
Descent
Dominion

We haven't opened them yet but hopefully will over Spring Break this week. Thanks again!
Old 03-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #40
J23
College Benchwarmer

I wasn't a huge fan of Descent, though I only got to play it 3 player, but enjoyed both Pandemic and Dominion when I played them.

I actually just picked up Runewars if any of you have tried it before.
J23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #41
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Sure, I take the flavor from that campaign, but the mechanics are all mine!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #42
Autumn
Head Coach

I assume maybe we're not starting 'til Monday on this one?
Old 03-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #43
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post

Good bet
Old 03-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #44
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post

This game will begin on Sunday, with the first deadline Monday night

Old 03-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #45
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Dominion is awesome! Throne Rooming Things is my favorite hobby.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #46
Darth Vilus
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J23 View Post
I wasn't a huge fan of Descent, though I only got to play it 3 player, but enjoyed both Pandemic and Dominion when I played them.

Yeah we only played it with 3 as well, but it still seemed like fun. Have to do it again with more time and people.

(And Danny's play still remains a question to this day )

―Darth Plagueis the Wise
Old 03-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #47
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by J23 View Post

I enjoyed descent a lot the one time we played it and we played Doom which is very similar to descent. I want to play it a lot more and I already purchased all the expansions for it.

Runewars should be really good, I'm taking a break from buying any games, but the next time I do, Runewars will likely be one I order.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #48
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Sure, I take the flavor from that campaign, but the mechanics are all mine!

Oh sure! It's a great campaign. I wrote a couple modules for it back in the day.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #49
Danny
Head Coach

For all those losing sleep about it, I was impatient and checked to see if my phone was working today and it is fully operational!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #50
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For all those losing sleep about it, I was impatient and checked to see if my phone was working today and it is fully operational!!!

Good, now I'll be able to sleep tonight. Thanks for the update.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote