Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #101
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Sorry for the confusion on Clemenza, guys. He can not use the items to make a kill, ever. When the items are used, they disappear.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:50 PM   #102
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Also, to clarify Luca's role, on any given night, he can protect or kill, but not both.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #103
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Sorry for the confusion on Clemenza, guys. He can not use the items to make a kill, ever. When the items are used, they disappear.

Okay, thanks for clarifying. In this case it would be worth considering for Clemenza to pass one of the items back and forth with Tessio. Has to be up to the individual though, because either one of those guys could be wolves, potentially. This would keep one kill mechanic out of the game (unless Tessio was in fact a wolf). I'm of the opinion that less random kills is generally a good thing, especially since if one of the wolves receives either of the items, they could pass it amongst themselves until they found the other one.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:04 AM   #104
Darth Vilus
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Well that changes my whole strategy!

Not really

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you…"
―Darth Plagueis the Wise
Darth Vilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:18 AM   #105
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
I just realized I'll be out of town Saturday, so I figured I'd get things started now. All PMs are out. Have a good weekend all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
Okay, thanks for clarifying. In this case it would be worth considering for Clemenza to pass one of the items back and forth with Tessio. Has to be up to the individual though, because either one of those guys could be wolves, potentially. This would keep one kill mechanic out of the game (unless Tessio was in fact a wolf). I'm of the opinion that less random kills is generally a good thing, especially since if one of the wolves receives either of the items, they could pass it amongst themselves until they found the other one.

Checking in and this seems to make sense to me. The less kills out there the less chance a villager gets hit by mistake or the wolves control it and use it as a free kill. I think a big part of whether we can win this game or not is going to be to make this as drawn out and get as much history as we can out in the open before everyone gets whacked in a huge bloodbath. The fact that a lot of these roled killings will be behind the scenes is a huge negative. If we can take one or some of them out of the game like this, sounds good to me
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:22 AM   #106
bhlloy
Coordinator

As for tessio being a wolf, there is a chance of that but there is just as big a chance that a wolf gets one of the items early on anyway and just keeps it until another wolf gets the other. Seems like a risk worth taking to me but wonder what everyone else thinks
Old 03-12-2011, 01:25 AM   #107
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

No, you can't hang onto those objects. It says every turn they are passed and if you don't send an order of who to pass them to, it's random. So only way to do it is if two wolves end up with them on the same turn and then both pass it to a third.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:54 AM   #108
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
That's correct -- if someone doesn't pass an item, it gets passed to someone randomly.

Ah, yes, here is that clarification (post 92)
Old 03-12-2011, 04:18 AM   #109
bhlloy
Coordinator

Why couldn't the wolves just pass it among themselves? As long as there were more than two left they could easily pass it among the three and if they got both pass it to the third person who didn't have an item that turn. I don't think there is any restriction on how often you can hold an item, just that it has to be passed every night, correct?

I just don't see how passing this thing around blindly amounts to anything more than a huge advantage for the wolves, as they have a communications network and as soon as it is in the group they can just pass it amongst themselves until they get the other one. But I may be missing something
Old 03-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #110
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Why couldn't the wolves just pass it among themselves? As long as there were more than two left they could easily pass it among the three and if they got both pass it to the third person who didn't have an item that turn. I don't think there is any restriction on how often you can hold an item, just that it has to be passed every night, correct?

I just don't see how passing this thing around blindly amounts to anything more than a huge advantage for the wolves, as they have a communications network and as soon as it is in the group they can just pass it amongst themselves until they get the other one. But I may be missing something

While I don't disagree with your basic premise, what is the solution? Is it worth a good guy revealing this early so that we have a trusted person to pass one of the gun/canoli? Even if you think so (and I'm not sure that's the case), that person would need someone to pass it to the following day. Plus you'd be putting a big target on that person and if they get NK'ed or otherwise killed, we're back to where we started. I don't really disagree that our best hope is that Salvatore is a villager and he and Clemenza will keep passing it back and forth, but there's no guarantee he is and there's still the matter of the other item anyway.

I'm going to give this some thought.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #111
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
No, you can't hang onto those objects. It says every turn they are passed and if you don't send an order of who to pass them to, it's random. So only way to do it is if two wolves end up with them on the same turn and then both pass it to a third.

Well see, there's at least four wolves, we're thinking, so the chances of them getting one of the items early is pretty high if they are being passed around randomly. In that case they can then pass that item amongst themselves until the other item comes to one of them, and then arrange for both items to be on one person. Who knows, they probably get an item if their NK target possesses one also. I think it's the best strategy to not pass them around randomly.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #112
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
Well see, there's at least four wolves, we're thinking, so the chances of them getting one of the items early is pretty high if they are being passed around randomly. In that case they can then pass that item amongst themselves until the other item comes to one of them, and then arrange for both items to be on one person.

yup, that's what I was saying.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #113
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

The problem is that if someone reveals to get one of the items passed to them then that person is going to get whacked pretty quickly. And we don't know what will happen to the item if they get hit.

I think the best bet is for Clemenza to hand the gun on to Salvatore Tessio and the other thing to someone else. Then Salvatore hands the gun back to Clemenza. We'll probably have to come to some sort decision about what to do eventually but not for a while. Of course if Tessio is a wolf then the plan probably won't hold up well for Clemenza for long but I think the odds are largely against it.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #114
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Also, to clarify Luca's role, on any given night, he can protect or kill, but not both.

In which case I would argue that he should protect every night unless the a consensus in the thread that he should make a kill. Argue, argue. There.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #115
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
While I don't disagree with your basic premise, what is the solution? Is it worth a good guy revealing this early so that we have a trusted person to pass one of the gun/canoli? .

I definitely don't think this FWIW as that would be an obvious way to get killed. I just think it's worth taking the chance that Tessio is a villager vs the chance of passing it around blindly on the open market and hoping the wolves don't get one of the items in the first couple of days.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #116
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I definitely don't think this FWIW as that would be an obvious way to get killed. I just think it's worth taking the chance that Tessio is a villager vs the chance of passing it around blindly on the open market and hoping the wolves don't get one of the items in the first couple of days.

I think pretty much anyone who has expressed an opinion is onboard with this.

Speaking of reveals (as whoever you quoted was), I hope it goes without saying that there's no need or use for anyone to be revealing. If the wolves didn't know what roles were in the game it might bear discussing but as it is it will just provide the wolves a roadmap to who to kill. This covers the minor roles as well. It might not be dangerous to your well-being to say, for example, that you're Fredo but it will help the wolves narrow down the field.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #117
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Checking in, and rereading all of the roles.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #118
Autumn
Head Coach

Checking in again. I don't have anything new to say about the gun, seems like a smart plan, but it's out of our hands for now. I think we generally agree as a WW community, that villager kills are not usually a good idea. I think we've matured a bit since the games where we had some pretty boneheaded moves there.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #119
mckerney
Coordinator

Checking in before checking out everything that's been said so far.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #120
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

vote saldana

Might as well get this started.

Just found out that life at work this week is extremely going to suck. Our asshole VP will be in town along with two of his cronies (and there are rumors that his boss who is the douchebag of all douchebags may make an appearance). That and it is the final week before a high profile client upgrade will be going on will make access at the deadline touch and go. Will be mostly from my phone if I can get there at all (most likely).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #121
Danny
Head Coach

Well I finally read all of the roles, this is going to be crazy lol
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #122
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Checking in, and rereading all of the roles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Checking in before checking out everything that's been said so far.

I always find these sorts of comments a teensy bit suspious, or at least odd. It's like you're subconciously thinking "Oh noes! Someone might see me hanging around the thread and think I'm a wolf going through my PMs". I mean, read the thread and the roles and then post something. Doing it the other way round just seems strange to me (unless you intentionally planning a dola-fest).

It also contributes nothing, nothing, nothing to the villager cause or, for that matter, the cause of there being anything of interest going on at all in the thread. I was going to joke vote Lathum because he hadn't checked in yet. But instead I'll, eeny-meeny-miny-mo

Vote mckerney
Old 03-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #123
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Well I finally read all of the roles, this is going to be crazy lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcizo View Post
I always find these sorts of comments a teensy bit suspious, or at least odd. It's like you're subconciously thinking "Oh noes! Someone might see me hanging around the thread and think I'm a wolf going through my PMs". I mean, read the thread and the roles and then post something. Doing it the other way round just seems strange to me (unless you intentionally planning a dola-fest).

It also contributes nothing, nothing, nothing to the villager cause or, for that matter, the cause of there being anything of interest going on at all in the thread. I was going to joke vote Lathum because he hadn't checked in yet. But instead I'll, eeny-meeny-miny-mo

Vote mckerney

I find these back to back amusing.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #124
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

At least it looks like Danny read the roles before "checking in".
Old 03-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #125
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Checking in from phone, will try and give some initial role analysis when I get home

To be fair, this was posted Friday morning
Old 03-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #126
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Gotcha - so your role analysis is the it's going to be crazy.

Not exactly up there with Chief Rum, to be honest.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #127
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Old 03-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #128
Danny
Head Coach

Based on the last game, I take that as a compliment (sorry Chief)
Old 03-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #129
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Based on the last game, I take that as a compliment (sorry Chief)

Old 03-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #130
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
vote saldana
Just found out that life at work this week is extremely going to suck. Our asshole VP will be in town along with two of his cronies (and there are rumors that his boss who is the douchebag of all douchebags may make an appearance). That and it is the final week before a high profile client upgrade will be going on will make access at the deadline touch and go. Will be mostly from my phone if I can get there at all (most likely).

I bet my boss is a bigger douche bag than your boss. Anyhoo, my boss will be in my office most likely tomorrow. I may put my vote in tonight yet otherwise for sure tomorrow morning because I might not get much of a chance to do so during the day with my douche boss around.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #131
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

here
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #132
J23
College Benchwarmer

Vote Chief Rum

Will try to get in the threat tomorrow to move this around if it ends up being a useless vote, but Mondays can be problematic.
J23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:45 AM   #133
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Why Chief Rum? Why Saldana? Why, why, why?

Seriously, Chief Rum is a useful villager to have around and is probably high up on the list of likely seer scans (after Lathum). Voting for him just seems to doing the wolves' work for them. Or has his rep dropped since I was last here?
Old 03-14-2011, 02:10 AM   #134
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why Chief Rum? Why Saldana? Why, why, why?

Seriously, Chief Rum is a useful villager to have around and is probably high up on the list of likely seer scans (after Lathum). Voting for him just seems to doing the wolves' work for them. Or has his rep dropped since I was last here?

Well, I am coming off of an admittedly poor game, Narc.

But, now, these fools here still seem to think I play the game well.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:45 AM   #135
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

These rules are pretty complicated. I am going to take a crack at encapsulating all of the various little rules here into one hopefully easy to read post.

Good Guys For Sure

Vito Corleone (duke), Luca Brasi (BG & a hunter), Michael Corleone (a hunter), Tom Hagen (seer) and Connie Corleone (better half of lover pair).

Bad Guys For Sure

The Turk, Capt. McCluskey and Barzini (no wolf-specific skills specified)
Carlo Rizzi (wolf half of lover pair)

PM rights

The wolves (with restrictions)
Michael Corleone (with his wives, Appollonia Vitelli and Kay Adams, both with restrictions)
Kay Adams (with Michael Corleone, with restrictions)
Fredo Corleone (with Moe Greene)
Peter Clemenza (with Salvatore Tessio)
Salvatore Tessio (with Peter Clemenza)
Johnny Fontane (with Jack Woltz)
Jack Woltz (with Johnny Fontane)
Moe Greene (with Fredo Corleone)
Appollonia Vitelli (with Michael Corleone, with restrictions)

Vote Affects

Vito Corleone (counts as two votes; also, the duke)
Michael Corleone (counts as two votes)
Connie Corleone (counts as two votes against Carlo Rizzi)
Carlo Rizzi (vote will not count the day after Carlo finds Connie with his night search)
Sonny Corleone (counts as two votes)
Fredo Corleone (1. vote counts as two votes when on a good guy; 2. vote doesn't count if it's on Moe Greene)
Salvatore Tessio (vote counts as two votes when on a traitor)
Moe Greene (vote counts as two votes when on Fredo Corleone)

Non-Kill Night Abilities/Actions

Luca Brasi-- BG
Tom Hagen-- seer
Connie Corleone-- search for Carlo Rizzi (nightly)
Carlo Rizzi-- search for Connie Corleone (nightly)
Sonny Corleone-- action blocker (nightly, effect last two nights)

Hitman Ability

Luca Brasi-- A kill (The Turk will kill Luca instead if targetted; attacking the Capt. results in imprisonment out of game)
Michael Corleone-- One kill (per game; if Capt. alive, will be imprisoned, out of game exc when killing the Capt. or The Turk)
The wolves (presumeably they have a nightly night kill)
Phillip Tattaglia (when lynched/killed, a good player will be killed, too)

Could be instantly removed from game

Luca Brasi (if attacks Capt.)
Michael Corleone (if attacks anyone but The Turk or the Capt. and the Capt. is still alive)
Connie Corleone (if found by Carlo Rizzi and Sonny Corleone is dead)
Sonny Corleone (if Connie is found by Carlo before Sonny dies, Sonny will die)
Johnny Fontane (out if he receives the horse's head)
Jack Woltz (out if he receives the horse's head)
Any good guy (by Phillip Tattaglia's associate if Tattaglia dies)
Anyone (by whoever gets the gun and the canoli at the same time; not Clemenza)

Items

Horse's head-- starts with Tom Hagen; affects Johnny Fontane and Jack Woltz
Gun and canoli-- starts with Clemenza; affects whoever is targeted by the player who acquires both at the same time

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:56 AM   #136
Danny
Head Coach

Good analysis, you must be a wolf
Old 03-14-2011, 03:01 AM   #137
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Haha, you must be wolf for thinking that!

Okay, this maybe has already been noted; sorry, haven't read all of the posts yet since game start. But there are 19 players in the game and there are 19 roles.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:03 AM   #138
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

If every role is thus in the game, we have four known wolves. I think more than five wolves would unbalance the game a bit. At most six (considering we don't see any wolf abilities, although maybe these are just hidden).

That means, of the numerous players we are uncertain of, at most only two of them will be traitors and probably just one.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:12 AM   #139
Danny
Head Coach

Hmmm, that's true. Although it would mean that a well timed mass reveal could really hurt the wolves.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:46 AM   #140
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Hmmm, that's true. Although it would mean that a well timed mass reveal could really hurt the wolves.

I doubt that all the roles are in the game (otherwise there would be 5 wolves) so the wolves with strictly bad roles will just be able to claim the tweener roles they know no-one has. All a mass reveal will do is tell the wolfies were the juicy villager roles are.

But I agree about Chief. He's obviously trying too hard. Obviously a wolf.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:49 AM   #141
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
I doubt that all the roles are in the game (otherwise there would be 5 wolves) so the wolves with strictly bad roles will just be able to claim the tweener roles they know no-one has. All a mass reveal will do is tell the wolfies were the juicy villager roles are.

But I agree about Chief. He's obviously trying too hard. Obviously a wolf.

I doubt as well, but if they were all present, that is something to consider. I expect Pass to not tell us.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:31 AM   #142
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Vote Affects

Vito Corleone (counts as two votes; also, the duke)
Michael Corleone (counts as two votes)

Quote:
You read that right -- I think I will stick with a draw in that case -- or a double loss, since they'll both vote for each other and both die.

I think you've made the same mistake as others of us have made Chief. My understanding is that Vito and Michael don't have two votes, they count as two villagers for the wolf:villager ratio. That's what JAG and Passa were discussing on the first page.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:44 AM   #143
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Vote mckerney

While I appreciate being the miny and not the mo, calm down dude. This is just my second game. I've been at the hockey rinks all weekend (we're hosting the tournament this week). I just wanted to make a quick post in the thread to acknowledge that I was in and participating. My first game, there was some confusion about whether someone was playing or not. Admittedly, these roles are a bit confusing (thanks to Chief for your subsequent summary). Unfortunately, you'd be wasting your time trying to read between the lines of my posts.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #144
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I don't think it's impossible there would be more than the usual amount of wolves as the villagers might have a couple roles that would count as more than one villager. That could in part balance out having more than the usual amount of wolves.

I think a mass reveal off the bat wouldn't necessarily be as bad as you're suggesting, assuming all the roles were present. Obviously the four known traitor wolves would have to reveal as a duplicate role belonging to someone else, which means we would have four wolves narrowed down to eight players and then likely no more than one or two left other than that. That doesn't seem like too bad a trade-off for the knowledge the wolves would get in return.

My preference would not be to play it like that though, for three reasons. One, we don't know for sure that all roles are present in the game so the exercise could end up having all the downside without the upside. Two, some wolf roles would really benefit from knowing where certain good roles were (i.e. Connie Corleone) so there would be an element of shooting ourselves in the foot even if we did know all roles were present. And three, you don't have to share my opinion on this, but I don't really think it's in the spirit of the game. I find it to be kind of a cheesy tactic.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #145
J23
College Benchwarmer

I'd be a little surprised if every role was in the game. Even though the # of roles to players works out exactly, the roles were defined before the exact number of players was known if I'm not mistaken.

As far as why vote for XX player over another, it's day 1. What kind of reasoning do you expect? I'm not saying he isn't a valuable villager (go back and look at Vegas if you want proof), but the same could be said about many players. He had a late run the last couple games that I've seen, so I don't feel bad throwing a vote his way on day1 when I have no information.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #146
J23
College Benchwarmer

I'm refering to my vote on CR above btw, in case that wasn't obvious. I clearly shouldn't try writing coherently before noon.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #147
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Handy summation Chief. The dual votes are going to make for some crazy vote analysis later on.

I'm not sure I want to vote out a player day one that has a history of high participation. I'm just talking nearly straight post count. Pretty much hitting the post button creates data that can be useful later on.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #148
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Vote mckerney

He was so under the radar last game, I almost forgot he was playing...and he was my race partner. (no qualms about his play for the race aspect for what it's worth, but after last game I'd rather see UTR players get some early heat).
Old 03-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #149
Autumn
Head Coach

I agree with not going after top villagers day one, but flushing out the quieter players. I don't want to pile onto Mckerney though, and in general feel bad about picking on the newer players. I'll try to find someone quiet to vote for though.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:39 AM   #150
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Handy summation Chief. The dual votes are going to make for some crazy vote analysis later on.

Yes, the strange votes could make things crazy. The good news is that they won't really have any effect unless they make a vote result come out differently than we expected, which I think can often be revealing.

Also, if we can figure out any of those crazy votes some of them can tell us allegiance, which is fantastic.