Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #451
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Glad to hear... of course the one thing that can't be articulated (that well) is that those words hadn't been spoken for 300 years prior to King Robb.

True. That wasn't stressed enough, but Greatjon did mention that they only bowed to the kings in Kings Landing because of "the dragons" (referring to the Targaryens of course). Not the same, but it seemed to convey the fact that the lords of the north weren't used to bending the knee to King's Landing.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #452
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Glad to hear... of course the one thing that can't be articulated (that well) is that those words hadn't been spoken for 300 years prior to King Robb.
They did articulate it a bit. Greatjon had a line about how the last time the king in the north bent the knee it was because of the Targs and the dragons, and (something along the lines of) "no reason to bend the knee to a lannister or a baratheon" kind of.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #453
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Damn you Chiefy!!
Old 06-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #454
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

My partner's not here right now...I kind of want to throw the episdoe up on one of my monitors here at work on HBO Go and watch while I shoot off some emails...
Old 06-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #455
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Greatjon had a line about how the last time the king in the north bent the knee it was because of the Targs and the dragons

That's fun, considering the scene the likely came right after....
Old 06-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #456
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's fun, considering the scene the likely came right after....

Actually not. The "King in the North" scene was around the 15:00 mark, and the dragons were at the very end. Kind of funny - I also thought they'd put them back-to-back for a "double whammy" sorta.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #457
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ooooh - dragon cries!!! ME LIKEY!!!!

Maybe I'll make that my new ringtone instead of the themesong.

Still think it's dumb that Jorah calls her "Blood of my blood." I mean clearly he loves the chick, but still...that doesn't make sense. He wasn't sworn to Drogo or anything right? Or am I forgetting that he was?
Old 06-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #458
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Actually not. The "King in the North" scene was around the 15:00 mark, and the dragons were at the very end. Kind of funny - I also thought they'd put them back-to-back for a "double whammy" sorta.

Hmmmm... same here. Especially since I believe they are very close in the book (I think one chapter involving Arya seperates them, or something).
Old 06-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #459
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Still think it's dumb that Jorah calls her "Blood of my blood." I mean clearly he loves the chick, but still...that doesn't make sense. He wasn't sworn to Drogo or anything right? Or am I forgetting that he was?

Isn't that a term that all Dothraki use for each other.. a tribal greeting, basically.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #460
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Isn't that a term that all Dothraki use for each other.. a tribal greeting, basically.

Is it? Aaah...okay. I suppose that makes more sense then. It confused me, but I'm probably just forgetting that and you're right.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #461
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I am not sure if runs that far and wide, but I know that all of the blood riders, who are essentially like the Kingsguard of the Dothraki, are referred to like that. Jorah is honorary blood rider. In the books, Dany has three Dothraki blood riders if I recall. In the show, she has one.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #462
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I thought the dragons looked great. Going into the show that was one of my biggest concerns. I knew what the final scene of the first season and was afraid that it would come off looking cheap and stupid. I was wrong to worry. The dragons looked great. The entire scene was fantastic. It was as well put together as Ned's death scene. Emilia Clarke just nailed it. She was perfect throughout the entire episode. Her grief, resolve, all of it was perfect. I'm glad they decided to (1) let her keep her hair and (2) not have the dragons breast feeding from her.

I really enjoyed the scene between the Old Bear and Jon as well. In fact, the last few scenes with the Old Bear have been great. He has really done a great job with his limited screen time.

Joffery remains, well, Joffery. The kid is owning that role.

It was nice to have a Shaggy Dog sighting!

It will be interesting to see what they plan on doing with the second season.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-20-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #463
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Ack! You edited the part I want to quote, HB.

Spoiler
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #464
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I thought the dragons looked great. Going into the show that was one of my biggest concerns. I knew what the final scene of the first season and was afraid that it would come off looking cheap and stupid. I was wrong to worry. The dragons looked great. The entire scene was fantastic. It was as well put together as Ned's death scene. Emilia Clarke just nailed it. She was perfect throughout the entire episode. Her grief, resolve, all of it was perfect. I'm glad they decided to (1) let her keep her hair and (2) not have the dragons breast feeding from her.

I really enjoyed the scene between the Old Bear and Jon as well. In fact, the last few scenes with the Old Bear have been great. He has really done a great job with his limited screen time.

Joffery remains, well, Joffery. The kid is owning that role.

It was nice to have a Shaggy Dog sighting!

It will be interesting to see what they plan on doing with the second season.

I think the one dragon (I always get the colors/names messed up so I won't even try) was breast-feeding actually. Not like hugely noticably...but clearly it was supposed to be. At least that seems to be the general internet-consensus.

Can't wait for the Larry Williams review - it's my "end of day monday" treat to myself.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-20-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #465
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Ack! You edited the part I want to quote, HB.

Spoiler

Yeah, sorry about that. I realized it was spoiler territory, so I edited it.

Spoiler
Old 06-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #466
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I want the dragon cries as my new ringtone...will have to work on that tonight...
Old 06-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #467
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It was also nice to see Hot Pie! and Lommy Greenhands. Not to menion Rorge, Biter and Jaquen H'gar. They kept Jaquen hooded, since they are still casting for him.

I liked how Yoren was a bit more like Yoren in that episode. A bit harsher and more short tempered. I don't see it as a shift in character, so much as that he can be one way around Tyrion and his brothers, but has be very different around new recruits that he's trying to shepherd back to the Wall. It's a long journey and the crowd he's travelling with is quite dodgey. I can see him being short with Arya because of the stress of the situation and the shit that could come down on him if he gets caught.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:15 AM   #468
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

A heads up for any who don't have the books. Amazon is selling the first four books of the series for $19.77.

http://www.amazon.com/George-Martins...8503754&sr=1-1
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #469
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post

Sweet deal.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #470
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

LMAO - I saw this as a comment on somebody's review who said "oh man, a year is a long way to wait for a new episode" and i thought it was just perfect.

Quote:

Complaining about a 1 year wait? Oh my sweet summer child. What do you know of waiting? Waiting is for the long night, when GRRM hides for years and children are born and live and die all before the next book comes out.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #471
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Ok I seem to have forgotten how to do spoilers in this forum.

Halp? I want to post something I've had to delete twice because of spoilers.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #472
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Ok I seem to have forgotten how to do spoilers in this forum.

Halp? I want to post something I've had to delete twice because of spoilers.

/tk

Type:

[.spoiler.] [./spoiler.]

(Just remove the periods that are next to the brackets to make it work)

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #473
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

["Spoiler"] ["/spoiler"] without ""
Old 06-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #474
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

For example:

Spoiler
Old 06-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #475
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

One thing that kind of confused me in the episode was how Osha doubted Bran and Rickon saw Ned in their dreams. In the book, that conversation happens with the Maester, and Osha (if I remember correctly) actually encourages them (instead of doubts them)...

/tk
Old 06-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #476
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I swear I did that with the spoiler tags but it didn't work. Oh well, trying again. Sorry for anyone that's a mod that hasn't finished the books....

I posted this on the Sword & Laser Goodreads forum, but it belongs here too.

I want a baby dragon!!!

I liked the episode all in all. I wasn't sure what to make of (potential spoiler for future books)...
Spoiler

I didn't know what to make of the Pycelle scene. Again, potential spoiler for future books...
Spoiler

I'm about 3/4 through A Storm of Swords on my re-read through the series and haven't come across anything quite so overt about his character...

/tk
Old 06-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #477
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I swear I did that with the spoiler tags but it didn't work. Oh well, trying again. Sorry for anyone that's a mod that hasn't finished the books....

I posted this on the Sword & Laser Goodreads forum, but it belongs here too.

I want a baby dragon!!!

I liked the episode all in all. I wasn't sure what to make of (potential spoiler for future books)...
Spoiler

I didn't know what to make of the Pycelle scene. Again, potential spoiler for future books...
Spoiler

I'm about 3/4 through A Storm of Swords on my re-read through the series and haven't come across anything quite so overt about his character...

/tk

Spoiler
Old 06-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #478
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Early ratings are in

After a relatively average launch of 2.2 million viewers, Thrones continued to edge higher in the ratings all season. With its season finale, Thrones hit a number HBO has been targeting: 3 million viewers. Adding the show’s repeat at 11 p.m., a total of 3.9 million viewers tuned in. The show continues to average 8.3 million viewers when you include all repeats, DVR and On Demand viewing.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #479
GrantDawg

Quote:
Early ratings are in

After a relatively average launch of 2.2 million viewers, Thrones continued to edge higher in the ratings all season. With its season finale, Thrones hit a number HBO has been targeting: 3 million viewers. Adding the show’s repeat at 11 p.m., a total of 3.9 million viewers tuned in. The show continues to average 8.3 million viewers when you include all repeats, DVR and On Demand viewing.

Nice. They need to go ahead and green light season three. Make it so!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #480
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Nice. They need to go ahead and green light season three. Make it so!

Yeah. This is all I am really hoping for. I would be disappointed if they didn't do a thrid season. But anything beyond that would just be gravy.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #481
Ramzavail
College Starter

if there is going to be a 3rd season of Hung - there should be a 3rd season of GoT
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #482
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
if there is going to be a 3rd season of Hung - there should be a 3rd season of GoT

Seriously. That show has no redeeming value (that being said I still keep watching it - mainly hoping he'll get some hot customers).
Old 06-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #483
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post

The only issue preventing a 3rd season, I believe, would be cost. I am not sure how expensive Hung is, but I doubt it comes close to Game of Thrones.

Though, speaking of Hung the filmed an episode in my neighborhood right around Memorial Day.

They shot there for a few days. They closed my local Thai place down for the shooting and me and my dog were twice forced by security to alter our daily route because of the shooting.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #484
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

This is true. And season 3 would likely be pretty damn expensive.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #485
spleen1015
Coordinator

Season 3, IMO, would be the best one if it came any where close to capturing the book.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #486
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah. This is all I am really hoping for. I would be disappointed if they didn't do a thrid season. But anything beyond that would just be gravy.

+1 (though I might alter my view on that after I've read book 5).
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #487
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Season 3, IMO, would be the best one if it came any where close to capturing the book.

I agree. I can't see how they could do it all in 10 episodes. The book is much longer than "A Game of Thrones" and so much happens.

On the flipside, while I enjoyed the fourth book, I think there is a LOT you could cut from it and still keep a coherent story for the TV show.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 06-21-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #488
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I think they've said Book 3 would be 2 seasons if they get that far.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #489
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I think someone suggested Book 3 could be cut into two seasons. Don't think it was official, just someone here. But I can definitely see that.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:01 PM   #490
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I think someone suggested Book 3 could be cut into two seasons. Don't think it was official, just someone here. But I can definitely see that.

I think it was Martin who suggested that in an interview.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #491
GrantDawg

Quote:
I think it was Martin who suggested that in an interview.

Yeah, this. But I would think they'd just about have to (and we all know where the cut would be. We'd all be seeing RED in the finally of season 3.A).
Old 06-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #492
MrBug708
Head Coach

I also think he thought so because he isn't going to finish the series before the DTV show makes it to book 6
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:54 AM   #493
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Dragon cries ringtone (with music still in background)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1980852/dragons.mp3

Theme song ringtone
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1980852/GoT%20ringtone.mp3
Old 06-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #494
MrBug708
Head Coach

Natalie Dormer, who played Anne Boylen in the Tudors, has been cast as Margaery Tyrell.

Yes Please!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #495
MrBug708
Head Coach

Natalie Dormer, who played Anne Boylen in the Tudors, has been cast as Margaery Tyrell.

Yes Please!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #496
flounder
High School Varsity

Not that I'm complaining, but isn't she a little old for Margaery?
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:56 AM   #497
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

GoT Muppets

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 06-24-2011 at 08:57 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #498
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
Not that I'm complaining, but isn't she a little old for Margaery?

Probably a little old. But they've aged most people up a few years and it's not atypical for 30 year olds who look young enough to play teenagers in movies/TV shows.

I have never seen her in anything and have just glanced at the photos, so I can't really tell.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #499
MrBug708
Head Coach

Spoiler

Last edited by Ryan S : 06-24-2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags
Old 06-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #500
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Spoiler

Last edited by Ryan S : 06-24-2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags