Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #351
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Cheif, no you need to edit DT's post you quoted. It still contains the offending language!

This is getting quite complicated. I feel like Ned Stark in Kings Landing!

Only DT spoiler I have quoted is in post #349 and that says pretty much the same thing I edited my spoiler post to say.

I agree, though, this is very confusing.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #352
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is getting quite complicated. I feel like Ned Stark in Kings Landing!

Well played Ser.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-23-2011 at 12:33 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #353
Swaggs
Coordinator

Cool, thanks CR!
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #354
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Nuggets from Larry Williams' OtakuASSEMBLE reviews on youtube (if you haven't been watching them you totally should. first time viewer...hilariously great reviews - bout 30mins each).

on HBOGO: "Which for the record it took me over half a fucking hour to get online for. I dunno if it was HBO to blame or my ISP but somebody fucked that up."

On spoilers: "When you nerd-rage (which is pretty much what it is) you spoil the series for new fans. When you turn people off people aren't going to watch the series, or pick up the books."

His thoughts on Episode 6 (spoilered for today in case people are going to watch it later)

Spoiler

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-23-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #355
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'm all for not talking about the following episode until it airs. I dont always get to watch the current one until the next day and while I avoid this thread til then, I really dont want to see comments from the episode that airs until the next week. (And I have HBO go and have read the books

Spoiler
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #356
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I think that it is possible that the scenes with Theon and Roz may not just be character background for Theon. Roz might actually be an additional character herself, or she might be replacing another book character (those who read the books might guess who I mean).

Last edited by GrantDawg : 05-24-2011 at 08:44 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #357
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I think that it is possible that the scenes with Theon and Roz may not just be character background for Theon. Roz might actually be an additional character herself, or she might be replacing another book character (those who read the books might guess who I mean).

I'm pretty sure she's not replacing the character you're thinking of, because that character has been cast. However, with her heading to KL, I can see her replacing another minor character who lives there in the same profession, mainly due to her familiarity with Tyrion.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #358
MrBug708
Head Coach

If it has a direct relation to Tyrion, I think she is too full figured and too old to play that character
Old 05-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #359
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
If it has a direct relation to Tyrion, I think she is too full figured and too old to play that character

I know she didn't fit her at all, but that stop some other casting. But if they have already cast that character, then it is still likely she's going to be another character change or addition. I doubt it is the last we see of her. Just a guess.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #360
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I think Roz is just useful as a character to allow them to have more exposition moments primarily.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #361
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I am wondering if the Rozzie Roz scene was perhaps not quite as useless as we all believe. She said she was going to King's Landing, so it's very possible that she's going to make another appearance at some point in the series. There is a fair amount of things that happen in whore houses in the books.

So, while Roz is not taking the place of a certain whore, she could show up as some other prostitute. And having here all of a sudden appear in King's Landing, while she was always at Winterfell, without any transitional scene like we had, would seem weird and stupid. The internets would be screaming "What!?! How is she at King's Landing?!?! She was at Winterfell! OMG! WTF?!?"

So, that's my theory. The scene is setting up for Roz at King's Landing. There are a couple of characters in the books she could take the place of. It would make it more effective, too, since she's an already established and known character to some degree.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:07 AM   #362
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am wondering if the Rozzie Roz scene was perhaps not quite as useless as we all believe. She said she was going to King's Landing, so it's very possible that she's going to make another appearance at some point in the series. There is a fair amount of things that happen in whore houses in the books.

So, while Roz is not taking the place of a certain whore, she could show up as some other prostitute. And having here all of a sudden appear in King's Landing, while she was always at Winterfell, without any transitional scene like we had, would seem weird and stupid. The internets would be screaming "What!?! How is she at King's Landing?!?! She was at Winterfell! OMG! WTF?!?"

So, that's my theory. The scene is setting up for Roz at King's Landing. There are a couple of characters in the books she could take the place of. It would make it more effective, too, since she's an already established and known character to some degree.

Exactly. I was reading some of the chaos over at the winter-is-coming.net set in the comments thread for Episode 7, and (minor spoilers about what Lord Tywin is doing when he's introduced below), I gotta say that I agree with those who get wayyyyyyyyyyy too worked up over tiny little things
Spoiler
. These people who get so worked up over this stuff need to get some damn perspective and relax and enjoy the show for what it is on its own merits.

Same thing with the (spoiler for an episode 7 scene involving 2 characters, no discussion of the actual scene contents, just that it exists)
Spoiler
. It might seem a little weird, but it gives you a hell of a lot of the backstory of Littlefinger, and if anything, will serve to make later events even more..."WTF" to new viewers. So for everyone who's complaining about that scene being out-of-character I wish they'd just relax and realize shit can't be 100% failthful to the books and enjoy the show.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-24-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #363
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Exactly. I was reading some of the chaos over at the winter-is-coming.net set in the comments thread for Episode 7, and (minor spoilers about what Lord Tywin is doing when he's introduced below), I gotta say that I agree with those who get wayyyyyyyyyyy too worked up over tiny little things
Spoiler
. These people who get so worked up over this stuff need to get some damn perspective and relax and enjoy the show for what it is on its own merits.

Same thing with the (spoiler for an episode 7 scene involving 2 characters, no discussion of the actual scene contents, just that it exists)
Spoiler
. It might seem a little weird, but it gives you a hell of a lot of the backstory of Littlefinger, and if anything, will serve to make later events even more..."WTF" to new viewers. So for everyone who's complaining about that scene being out-of-character I wish they'd just relax and realize shit can't be 100% failthful to the books and enjoy the show.

Agreed. I thought the subject of the first spoiler weird, but not so upsetting. The second shows us what they want to do with Roz, and that is fine. I can think of a good many situations they can use her to "flesh" out story lines (double entendre intended).

Last edited by GrantDawg : 05-24-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #365
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I just finished my reread of A Feast for Crows. There were definitely some things I had forgotten - namely the end goal of Prince Doran Martell and Dorne, as well as that of Littlefinger (yes I know...maybe I read too fast the first time around - or it's just been too long).

Dorne:
Spoiler

Littlefinger
Spoiler

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-24-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #366
MrBug708
Head Coach

No thoughts from yesterday?
Old 05-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #367
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

HBO got their gratuitous nudity quota in this week.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #368
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I sure hope Pumpy got to watch yesterday's episode.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #369
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

SHIT!
Old 05-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #370
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The scene with Roz, Littlefinger and an unnamed whore seemed ridiculously gratuitous and crude. I know the exposition needed to happen, but it seemed odd coming from Petyr himself.

Otherwise I really enjoyed the episode. Sad to see Robert go, as the guy who was playing him was phenomenal.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #371
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
The scene with Roz, Littlefinger and an unnamed whore seemed ridiculously gratuitous and crude. I know the exposition needed to happen, but it seemed odd coming from Petyr himself.

My thoughts exactly (hence my tongue in cheek comment above). I understand they need their exposition scenes, but it was forced and really just felt like they decided to meet their nudity quota.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 05-30-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #372
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
My thoughts exactly (hence my tongue in cheek comment above). I understand they need their exposition scenes, but it was forced and really just felt like they decided to meet their nudity quota.

Why have plain boring old, dull exposition when you can have loud, noisy SEXposition?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #373
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Yeah great scene with the whores and amazing episode. Lovin this show (haven't read the books...or even heard of them)!
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #374
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It will be interesting to see how the next epsiode compares with the others. Episode 8 was written by Martin himself.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #375
Groundhog
Coordinator

OK I've avoided any other posts in this thread, because I only got around to watching the 1st episode last night. I have no knowledge of the story prior to watching.

All I can say after 1 episode is holy FUCK. Wow. It was like watching a 60 minute feature film. It was nearly midnight by the time it finished and my gf wanted me to put on episode 2.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #376
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I have to say this week's episode was the best one yet in my opinion. I'm pretty sure that I am hooked now

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #377
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
OK I've avoided any other posts in this thread, because I only got around to watching the 1st episode last night. I have no knowledge of the story prior to watching.

All I can say after 1 episode is holy FUCK. Wow. It was like watching a 60 minute feature film. It was nearly midnight by the time it finished and my gf wanted me to put on episode 2.

It only gets better!!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #378
JPhillips
General Manager

I was waiting to see FATALITY! after the Drogo fight.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #379
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Hot damn that was intense by Drogo. Loved it.

Rest of the episode was solid. Loved everything with the Greatjon actually. Wall-stuff was alright but nothing special. Dinklage continues to steal every scene he's in - he has the character of Tyrion just completely nailed.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #380
cschex
High School Varsity

This ep was awesome, you could tell Martin wrote it because the dialogue was great. Also, he left the Syrio scene open to interpretation in the show too. Martin, you teasing bastard!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:20 AM   #381
JPhillips
General Manager

One question. Is there any good reason for Ned being kept alive? Since they talked about killing him after the war, I wondered why they didn't kill him instead of imprison him.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:50 AM   #382
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I didn't find this week's episode to be as good as last week. Hard to match up with last week however. This week it felt more like a bridge episode to get you from one huge event (death of the king, capture of Ned), to the next huge event (the war that i assume is coming).

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #383
cschex
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
One question. Is there any good reason for Ned being kept alive? Since they talked about killing him after the war, I wondered why they didn't kill him instead of imprison him.

Alive, Ned can keep Robb and the North in check somewhat. Remember, Robert's two younger brothers are still out there and there are other "Kingdoms" and armies uncommitted. The Lannisters don't want to be fighting everyone at once.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #384
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I didn't find this week's episode to be as good as last week. Hard to match up with last week however. This week it felt more like a bridge episode to get you from one huge event (death of the king, capture of Ned), to the next huge event (the war that i assume is coming).

I somewhat agree with this - but I was digging the Dothraki stuff this week, as well as the interaction between Robb and Greatjon Umber, so that made up for the rest.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #385
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I like living.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #386
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I thought it was a very, very solid episode. It was definitely a bridge episode, since it was more about moving pieces into place for further action, but I thought almost every scene was great. I suppose it had to do with the fact that Martin wrote the episode, but the characters in this episode felt most like the characters in the books.

1. They didn't disappoint in the Last Stand of Syrio Florel. I liked how they went back to the "What do you say when you meet ths god of death?" quote. I had re-read that fight in the book Friday night and was a bit surprised that they decided to scale back a bit on the violence there. The fight in the book was more bloody, but Syrio was sufficiently bad ass enough.

2. Dinklage continues to be great as Tyrion. Loved seeing them bring in all of the Mountain Clan people. He had great interaction with Bronn and his father. The Tyrion scenes never disappoint.

3. Catelyn felt most like Catelyn in the books. She was nervous, anxious, questioning Robb. I felt like they did a good job with their relationship. I also felt like they did a good job with making Robb seem both young and confident and the same time. The Greatjohn was fantastic. Great to see the dire wolves make an appearance. Both Greywind and Ghost were doing there thing.

4. I thought they did a great job with the Barristan Selmy scene as well. Very much as I imagined it.

5. I also liked the Bran/Osha scene. Again, like the Barristan scene, it really captued that scene right from the book.

6. The Drogo fight was the highlight of the episode for me. The entire scene was great, but his fight was fantastic. It really showed just what a complete and total bad ass Drogo is. I always felt like the guy playing Drogo was a built too built/body-builderesque for the role, but they fluidity and grace he moved with during that fight put that thought to rest. He used the man's own weapon to cut his throat and then ripped his tongue out through his neck. That shit was crazy. If I recall from the books, Drogo gets injured off screen, so this was a bit of an improvement in that regard.

Overall, great stuff. Hour goes by ridiculously fast.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #387
Aylmar
High School Varsity

I thought it was a great episode. They finally managed to make it through a whole hour without throwing in a ridiculously over the top scene (such as the shave or the Littlefinger whores). Now that I've seen he's still got it as a TV writer, I wish Martin would have written more episodes. Great dialogue throughout.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #388
Swaggs
Coordinator

Do we know if Syrio survived or not?

The answer may need spoilers, I suppose.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #389
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Do we know if Syrio survived or not?

The answer may need spoilers, I suppose.

The scene in the movie is the scene in the book. Nobody knows if he did, but I would lean towards him being alive and showing up in a later book.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #390
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
The scene in the movie is the scene in the book. Nobody knows if he did, but I would lean towards him being alive and showing up in a later book.

And, sadly, I lean towards him being dead, mainly because the knight of the Kingsguard who fought him (who I believe is Meryn Trant in the books) was still alive after that. Since the First Sword of Bravos "doesn't run", I am not sure how both Trant and Syrio would both survive that encounter.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #391
MrBug708
Head Coach

Good point, never thought of that
Old 06-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #392
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And, sadly, I lean towards him being dead, mainly because the knight of the Kingsguard who fought him (who I believe is Meryn Trant in the books) was still alive after that. Since the First Sword of Bravos "doesn't run", I am not sure how both Trant and Syrio would both survive that encounter.

Maybe Trant ran??

I dunno - good point though.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #393
Bad-example
College Starter

Not much to complain about. I still don't like the casting of the Hound or Arya Horseface, and I think they have so far failed to convey the immensity of the wall. But with so very many things done well it is really just nitpicking at this point.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #394
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

While I haven't really loved the Hound to date, I think Arya has been fantastic. One of my favorite castings.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #395
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
I think they have so far failed to convey the immensity of the wall.

That surprises me. I haven't watched the series yet, but I saw the 15 min preview of the first episode and that very first scene, I really felt like they nailed its enormous size, much better than my own imagination did.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #396
Landshark44
High School Varsity

i think the series has been great. i just finished reading the second book, and am waiting for amazon to send me the third....

i like all the casting except for littlefinger. carcetti from the wire, is all i see every time he's on screen..
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #397
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Forgot to note...I kinda pity the poor kid they cast as Robert Arryn, though he's doing a great job in his limited role.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #398
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Larry Williams @ OtakuASSEMBLE is loving the "snow zombies."

"HOLY SHIT...WE HAVE SNOW ZOMBIES!!!"
Old 06-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #399
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Not much to complain about. I still don't like the casting of the Hound or Arya Horseface, and I think they have so far failed to convey the immensity of the wall. But with so very many things done well it is really just nitpicking at this point.

They did a great job yesterday I thought
Old 06-07-2011, 10:31 AM   #400
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Maybe Trant ran??

I dunno - good point though.

But if I remember correctly, trant was bruised up when he is next seen in the book. Syrio could have took him down.