Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Role Assignments

Based on a discussion that started in the last game I figured I would start a thread for discussion.

How do you determine your role assignments when running a game?

Do you go 100% random, a mix of random and hand picking or entirely hand picking? Does it depend on the type of game (complexity) or the number of players? Do you mix it up?

I've done all of the above. The Olympics game was the first one that I ran which was 100% based upon random selection. Others have been a mix and one was entirely hand picking.

When hand picking I tried to put together a mix of newer players with experienced players on both sides.

I have also made a few alterations from the random selections based upon how some of the recent games had played out in some of the games that I had run. (Example: Making PB a vanilla villager in a game to try to help get rid of the "he's roled or a wolf" stigma and in another game making Schmidty a villager because he was on a long run of being a wolf and I could tell was unhappy about that run.)

In other cases I have made changes to try to spread out the roles a bit. If I recall correctly Lathum had a good role in one of my first games so I made him vanilla in the next game to give a high profile role to another person.

Thoughts?

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I always randomize roles, every single time.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
The Jackal
Coordinator

Like I said in the Beowulf game, I've never done anything aside from random. Don't want people that know you well to start guessing what you'd do as a GM - whether they are right or wrong that's too much metagaming injected unnecessarily imho.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I go random as well and kind of prefer it that way. I feel that as GM, I'm little more than a facilitator and I don't want to be micromanaging. Of course, I've only run two games so take that for what it is worth.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

The one game I ran used random.org to give out the roles.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
Danny
Head Coach

All random. I'm actually very surprised anyone does it differently (EF so far). I never thought of the idea of handpicking players. It does explain why PB didn't have a role though and as far as I am concerned, he still always has a role or is a wolf unless specifically handpicked by the GM not to.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Great thread. I at first thought that everything would be random when I started playing. But after 4 straight games of being vanilla villager I began to get paranoid and think that because I was new that I would keep getting picked as VV. I seemed to notice a lot of metagaming here and people not voting for people because they knew them or they were friends or whatnot so thought there was a slight possibility people were choosing roles and wolves based on that. But at the same time I was thinking it equally possible that it was just bad luck (which I have by the cartload).
So indeed it seems that I'm just unlucky as usual.
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
Danny
Head Coach

Actually I think in general we do a great job of not metagaming. And I certainly dont notice people not voting for someone they thought might be a wolf just because they were friends.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:56 AM   #9
hoopsguy
General Manager

I started off with 100% random.org but have started to drift away from that as an absolute. At this point, random.org is a starting point for me but I reserve the right to tweak a little bit to put better role/player balance in play if needed.

I really don't want to make decisions along player lines, but if I have a game where there is some kind of metric (think "the Twelve" from my first Marvel game) that calls for specific win conditions then I do think the game is better served with some consideration from the mod rather than a flat random.org. I'm guessing this is equally true for a small subset of the overall games - most the complex ones - run on this site.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
Autumn
Head Coach

I've only run game, and used random. In retrospect though I would have tweaked the randomization slightly to make a better game. If I recall, Clap and Lathum were the wolves, and both had been getting so much early attention in previous games. It ended quickly because of that and I think the game would have been better suited by tweaking the wolves to prevent that.

I also don't see the kind of metagaming CF is referring to. I mean people give such reasons as "I've been voting X a lot lately, so I won't vote him." Or there are the day one votes, but that's day one. I don't think people vote because of friendships, but I know I often need something, anything to narrow down my voting options for me.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Well okay I've only seen that type of reason used once but every game I see metagaming of voting and thinking reasonings beyond THIS GAME ITSELF. Now for a wolf to use that kind of play I kinda get but vilalgers using it just bugs me a bit. Maybe I'm seeing it because I"m still kind of an outsider in this circle.
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #12
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
but if I have a game where there is some kind of metric (think "the Twelve" from my first Marvel game) that calls for specific win conditions then I do think the game is better served with some consideration from the mod rather than a flat random.org. I'm guessing this is equally true for a small subset of the overall games - most the complex ones - run on this site.

As everyone knows I'm not one to cause controversy or start fights around here , but I do take offense to this.

How do people get a chance to learn to play a role/become a better player if you won't let them play a roll. At the end of the day the game I GM'ed I wasn't completely happy with how some of the roles ended up, but I would have never considered re-rolling the rolls to put them on other players. It is just unfair.

Last edited by dubb93 : 03-20-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:25 PM   #13
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

DOLA

I would be really pissed if I ever learned that someone random rolled me for seer and/or duke and then took it upon themselves to assign that role to someone else. The seer and duke are two roles that if I have ever played them I sure as hell don't remember playing that game.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
hoopsguy
General Manager

Dubb, the example I used was a list of people that the wolves had to kill to win the game. That is a little different than the example you give.

But in the 24 game the wolf faction ended up with several roles that really couldn't be together and keep game balance (information roles that would have really limited the ability to learn about wolf actions). So I did modify that list prior to assigning players to the roles.

I do think those type of situations arise in games with 20+ unique roles much more than standard WW games.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Huh and to think I have these memories of balancing the 24 game as well... Weird...
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #16
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I have never been the duke, althpough once I was elected duke in those games with an election, but I'm totally okay with that. It's not a role I would revel in. But I wouldn't like it if I was rolled for it, and then swapped with something els.e

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:19 PM   #17
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
Huh and to think I have these memories of balancing the 24 game as well... Weird...

Who are you again?

Seriously, if you have anything to add on the topic that would be great. That one was a challenging one to balance and I'm not 100% sure that we got it right.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #18
Barkeep49
Coordinator

There's a difference between role balancing and rigging role assignments. I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with role balancing. On the other hand, I think rigging role assignments needs to be done with the utmost care, for reasons including those dubb stated.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:37 PM   #19
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
There's a difference between role balancing and rigging role assignments. I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with role balancing. On the other hand, I think rigging role assignments needs to be done with the utmost care, for reasons including those dubb stated.

True. Generally my games have become more random as I have progressed but I may tinker a bit before rolling up the roles. Such as the PB and Schmidty "incidents" where I knew PB was being painted into the "always a wolf or roled" pattern so I made him vanilla from the start and Schmidty who was nt happy being a wolf several games in a row so I removed him from the wolf roll.

In my first game I hand picked everyone based on what I had hoped would be a good mix of vets and new(er) players on both sides. I actually never thought about random at that point as I had heard a fair amount of talk during the games that I was playing that made it sound common to pick the roles.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote