Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #51
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I wonder if now, based on the events, they had an oxygen failure. They may have been trying to turn back but expired, and the plane headed West until fuel failure.

More sinister, would be yes, the pilot turning off the transponder and doing it deliberately, making search parties look in the wrong spot until most evidence was washed away from the plane crashing into the ocean after losing all fuel.

Jesus, that's horrific.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams

Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #52
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Could a pilot do anything to make the plane more difficult to track during a flight and more difficult to find wreckage of after a crash? Like if he just wanted himself and the plane to "vanish"?

I don't get why it would go that far off course, the Air Egypt, the guy just gunned it for the ocean as soon as the captain was out of the cockpit.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 03-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #53
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
oxygen failure.

I have the Payne Stewart flight in mind. Couldn't that be at least part of the explanation?
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #54
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
I have the Payne Stewart flight in mind. Couldn't that be at least part of the explanation?

It definitely could, but if that happened, you'd think that the transponders and such would have continued to function.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #55
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post

How would that affect the locating equipment?

edit: Too slow.

Last edited by Logan : 03-11-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #56
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Now another Malaysian air force official is refuting the reports that the military tracked the plane hundreds of miles to the west of the last transponder location. What a charlie foxtrot.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #57
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Ya, I'm not sure what they expected. "I'm sorry, your call cannot be completed as dialed because this phone is currently at the bottom of the ocean."

Yea I'm not sure what they were expecting either, of course it's going to ring in your ear, it's a cell phone. Conspicuously absent from cell phones (never mind the name of them) is that long chord that plugs into the wall.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #58
PilotMan
Head Coach

One thing that you have to keep in mind is that radar is very spotty in that area. Even when I'm flying east of the US over the Atlantic I go out of radar contact, even though I'm in radio contact. The company and ATC rely on reports that I or the plane make to get position reports. So when the news says "they lost radar contact" it doesn't mean that the plane just disappeared. It means that there wasn't coverage and it was supposed to get back into radar coverage until it was closer toward Vietnam. It never checked in and they lost track of where the plane was.

Now I don't know about the automated ACARS that the 777 has, but a few circuit breaker pulls and I can disable that and the transponder. If I just stop reporting on the radio I'm basically invisible. I have charts and I can see where there is radar coverage and where there isn't.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #59
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Now I don't know about the automated ACARS that the 777 has, but a few circuit breaker pulls and I can disable that and the transponder. If I just stop reporting on the radio I'm basically invisible. I have charts and I can see where there is radar coverage and where there isn't.

Is there any legitimate reason you would ever do this?
Old 03-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #60
PilotMan
Head Coach

Nope

Not in the line of the job of transporting people.

And again, there are 2 of us, and 1 of us would surely object. To physical combat if it came to that.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 03-11-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #61
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

This is an extended range plane yes? Based on its trajectory (going West) what land would it hit...if any? How far can it go?
Old 03-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #62
RainMaker
General Manager

It took them days to find the Air France flight. Years to uncover the majority of the wreckage and bodies. Unfortunately this is one of those cases where we realize just how vast the planet is.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #63
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
This is an extended range plane yes? Based on its trajectory (going West) what land would it hit...if any? How far can it go?

Depends on what the fuel load was. If they were flying to Beijing, that is supposed to be around a 6 1/2 hour flight, so the plane was likely loaded with 8 1/2 or 9 hours worth of fuel. If that's the case, then with a cruise speed of 550mph, at least 3000 miles from the last known point.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #64
PilotMan
Head Coach

It probably had enough fuel to fly to it's destination and at least another 45 min depending on the weather in China when it left. Any altitude changes would shorten that. So yeah, it's got a solid 7 hours of fuel. It can go a long, long way.

{edit: OOOH! LOOK AT THE BIG BRAIN ON CARTMAN! }

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 03-11-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #65
JediKooter
Coordinator

You would think that an aircraft as fairly modern as the 777, would have a GPS tracking device on it. Or does it already have one?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 03-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #66
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I think, whoever was calling those numbers heard a 'ring', not that the passengers phones were actually really ringing. If I turn my cell phone off, if someone calls my number, they will hear still a 'ring'.

I always thought it would go straight to voicemail if someone's phone was off?

I do wonder if they could track the GPS of a phone. Depending on how catastrophic the crash was, a phone or two could have survived inside a suitcase or something. Even if the battery has died, perhaps they could have traced it's last known ping?
Old 03-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #67
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

I do wonder if they could track the GPS of a phone. Depending on how catastrophic the crash was, a phone or two could have survived inside a suitcase or something. Even if the battery has died, perhaps they could have traced it's last known ping?

Maybe their cellular network is set up a bit different than ours here in North America?

Yes, you would think at least one phone would have been able to be tracked to a certain degree, given that you know not everyone complies with turning off their phones and putting them into airplane mode.

I understand that the ocean is huge and deep, but, I just find it amazing that in the second decade of the 21st century, it's still freaking hard to find a modern aircraft given all the technology that is available. Reading about this, you would think Glenn Miller was on that flight.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:25 PM   #68
cartman
Death Herald

I've found that when someone is roaming, often times that the phone will 'ring' while it is trying to locate them. I think that is why they were getting the rings when dialing from China, but not when they were dialing from Malaysia.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #69
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I understand that the ocean is huge and deep, but, I just find it amazing that in the second decade of the 21st century, it's still freaking hard to find a modern aircraft given all the technology that is available.

Me too.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #70
PilotMan
Head Coach

I think a lot of people underestimate the actual size of the ocean and land. I did CAP in high school. We would do practice search and rescues and some of them could be downright difficult, and this was wide open ND. The ocean is an entirely different animal and every day it gets exponentially harder.

The ELT should have been installed on the plane and it should have gone off in any accident. No ELT either means it was not installed, not functional or the plane didn't crash. It's something that doesn't depend on doing anything at all. So not having it here is a bit of a mystery.

Like Steam?

Old 03-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #71
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I think a lot of people underestimate the actual size of the ocean and land. I did CAP in high school. We would do practice search and rescues and some of them could be downright difficult, and this was wide open ND. The ocean is an entirely different animal and every day it gets exponentially harder.

The ELT should have been installed on the plane and it should have gone off in any accident. No ELT either means it was not installed, not functional or the plane didn't crash. It's something that doesn't depend on doing anything at all. So not having it here is a bit of a mystery.

Who made you the expert on all things flying??

Oh wait...
Old 03-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #72
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Who made you the expert on all things flying??

Oh wait...

The nerve. You'd think he was a pilot or something!
Old 03-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #73
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
The nerve. You'd think he was a pilot or something!

I know, right?
Old 03-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #74
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Spoiler

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #75
cartman
Death Herald

This is the only other recent story I'm aware of where a large jet has disappeared. They still haven't found this one.

History, Travel, Arts, Science, People, Places | Air & Space Magazine
Old 03-11-2014, 10:55 PM   #76
cartman
Death Herald

Vietnam has now said they are suspending searches until Malaysia can clarify the scope of the search.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #77
JediKooter
Coordinator

Sounds like there's a few factors in not being able to locate the airliner and one of those factors reeks of incompetence.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:05 PM   #78
cartman
Death Herald

The Guardian has been doing a pretty good job of doing running updates on the situation. It has been where I've been getting my updates from over the past couple of days.

MH370 search goes on amid confusion over plane's disappearance – live | World news | theguardian.com
Old 03-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #79
JediKooter
Coordinator

Good link cartman.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:57 AM   #80
bhlloy
Coordinator

Almost seems like the Malaysian government/air force is covering something up at this point. I can think of one thing an air force would want to cover up that seems way too far fetched, but there is precedent for this kind of thing - I was shocked at how many shoot down or near shoot down incidents there have been over the years
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:27 AM   #81
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Almost seems like the Malaysian government/air force is covering something up at this point. I can think of one thing an air force would want to cover up that seems way too far fetched, but there is precedent for this kind of thing - I was shocked at how many shoot down or near shoot down incidents there have been over the years

Would explain why they heard nothing from the pilots.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:48 AM   #82
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

No. The number will ring some, then go to VM even if the phone is underwater.

Source: My son lost his phone, we called and called it to try and locate, it kept ringing and then going to VM. Come to find out, he had put it through the washer and it was dead.

Last edited by Butter : 03-12-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:59 AM   #83
bryce
High School Varsity

Quote:
Sounds like there's a few factors in not being able to locate the airliner and one of those factors reeks of incompetence.

And / or politics...
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #84
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Any good TV coverage of this? CNN won't stop talking about this NYC gas leak. #boring.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #85
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
Any good TV coverage of this? CNN won't stop talking about this NYC gas leak. #boring.

Nice sensitivity with two confirmed dead already and a lot of people unaccounted for.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #86
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Oil Rig Worker: 'I Saw the Malaysia Airlines Plane Come Down'
Old 03-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #87
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pretty good timeline if anyone wants to get regular updates.

Malaysia government warns hunt for missing plane 'could take months' - Telegraph
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #88
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
And / or politics...

Oh yes, that too for sure. Though sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between politics and incompetence.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #89
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Nice sensitivity with two confirmed dead already and a lot of people unaccounted for.

If it wasn't in NYC and included building collapses, it wouldn't be on. Talk to CNN about sensitivity!
Old 03-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #90
cartman
Death Herald

The Chinese have located some satellite images that look interesting. From The Guardian thread:

Malaysia airliner: China releases satellite images of possible crash site – live | World news | theguardian.com
Old 03-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #91
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Seems promising...if there is such a use of the word in all of this :/

It was awful seeing the frustrated families...I'm not sure how I'd deal with it, but man...that was terrible to watch. I guess they just want to know for sure that no one's out floating on a wreckage raft or something.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #92
cartman
Death Herald

I don't think China would make anything public if they weren't certain that the info was useful. Malaysia has provided a perfect example of how not to conduct an operation such as this.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #93
cartman
Death Herald

The sun is now up in KL. Should find out within the next few hours if there is anything in the pics from the Chinese satellites.

MH370: Satellite images show possible crash debris in South China sea – live | World news | theguardian.com
Old 03-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #94
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Just want to say that this thread is by far one of the most civil on the subject that I've come across on the Internet.

On a personal level, I was actually vacationing in Kuala Lumpur when MH370 went missing, and we were scheduled to fly out of the same airport the very next morning (although on a different airline). Let me tell you: it is really difficult to get on an airplane and fly out of the same airport, and fly almost the same route (KL-Osaka - a little more east than Beijing), the day after something like that happens, and not feel uneasy about it. When we flew over the search area, I had to force myself to take a nap. I was extremely relieved once I made it back to Japan.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #95
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Glad to hear you're alright bbgunn!
Old 03-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #96
cartman
Death Herald

The US 7th fleet has said that the Chinese satellite pictures aren't going to cause them to change their search area. Not sure if that means they've already gone over that area, or they have other info they are going on.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #97
cartman
Death Herald

And now it is looking like the Chinese satellite pics aren't of the plane.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #98
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Glad to hear you're alright bbgunn!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
And now it is looking like the Chinese satellite pics aren't of the plane.
Wow, what a mystery this is turning out to be.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #99
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn View Post
Wow, what a mystery this is turning out to be.

Definitely. There are over a dozen counties involved in the search. The land is in a area that is among the most densely populated regions on the planet, and the waters are among the busiest shipping channels. Nearly 100,000 square kilometers have been searched, and nothing yet has been seen. Officially the last thing known was the location when the transponder stopped transmitting on Saturday. Pieces of the Air France plane had been found floating in the middle of the Atlantic by this time of their search.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 PM   #100
RainMaker
General Manager

The Malaysian government is not looking good throughout this.