Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
AnalBumCover
College Starter

ABC's RL Running Dynasty (now with Zombies!)

When I was 38 years old and out of shape I gave myself an ambitious goal of running a marathon before I turned 40. I went as far as putting together a spreadsheet with a detailed training schedule that included some races (5k, 10k, a 1/2 marathon) to track my progress. The final goal was a full marathon that happened to fall the weekend before my 40th birthday.

Well all that never happened. So I'm 41 now, and hadn't run a 5K in over 10 years. But with the RunKeeper app, the Gympact app, and now the Zombies, Run! app, I have a whole new set of motivations that I hope will finally keep me on track.

I'm going to use Zombies, Run! 5K app, an eight week training schedule. And since this is also a GymPact Dynasty, I'll also update you on my earnings and losses as well as any edits to my pacts. Currently I set my pact at 3 workouts per week with $5.00 stakes.

ACHIEVEMENTS TO UNLOCK
Single Session (Distance)
Run 1 mile: Achievement Unlocked 4/14/13 1.8mi - 32:14min - 17:38/mi
Run 2 miles: Achievement Unlocked 4/16/13 2.1mi - 33:13min - 15:58/mi
Run 5K: Achievement Unlocked 4/18/13 3.2mi - 51:22min - 15:59/mi
Run a 5K Race:Achievement Unlocked 6/22/13 3.1mi - 42:59min - 13:49/mi
Run 4 miles: Achievement Unlocked 8/25/13 4.2mi - 1:09:48 - 16:36/mi
Run 5 miles: Achievement Unlocked 09/15/13 5.1mi - 1:11:59 - 14:07/mi
Run 10K:
Run a 10K Race:

Single Session (Distance Time)
1 mile (< 14:00 min): Achievement Unlocked 6/17/13 13:13 min
1 mile (< 12:00 min): Current best 12:50 min
1 mile (< 10:00 min):
2 mile (< 30:00 min): Achievement Unlocked 6/17/13 28:12 min
2 mile (< 28:00 min): Achievement Unlocked 6/22/13 27:47 min
2 mile (< 24:00 min): Current best 27:35 min
2 mile (< 20:00 min):
5K (< 50:00 min): Achievement Unlocked 6/14/13 49:42 min
5K (< 45:00 min): Achievement Unlocked 6/22/13 43:26 min
5K (< 40:00 min): Current best 42:15 min
5K (< 35:00 min):
5K (< 30:00 min):

Total Distance
10 miles in a week (Mo-Su): Achievement Unlocked 5/05/13
15 miles in a week (Mo-Su): Achievement Unlocked 9/22/13
20 miles in a week (Mo-Su): Current best 15.2 miles
25 miles in a month: Achievement Unlocked 5/20/13
50 miles in a month: Achievement Unlocked 9/30/13
75 miles in a month: Current best 50.1 miles
10 Total Miles: Achievement Unlocked 4/22/13
25 Total Miles: Achievement Unlocked 5/03/13
50 Total Miles: Achievement Unlocked 5/28/13
100 Total Miles: Achievement Unlocked 8/05/13
150 Total Miles: Achievement Unlocked 9/14/13
200 Total Miles:

Strava Badges

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 10-01-2013 at 10:50 AM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

If you are interested in finding local races, I am not too familiar with raceplace, but the site I use mostly is Running Events, Tips & Race Results | Cool Running

Also active.com has a page for finding races, but I like Coolrunning's page better myself. Another page I sometimes use is http://www.runningintheusa.com/ but I honestly have not found much there that was not also already on Cool Running

Good luck on the running! I will be following along!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
finketr
College Prospect

ABC, i'll be following along with this. I've never run a 5k in my life. I don't think I've ever run 5k in a row. Walk yes. Run/jog no.

As discussed in Alan's couch to 5k duynasty, i'm doing C25k but I'm on week -2 (negative 2) because i'm old (41, as well) and out of shape.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Subby
lolzcat

Having Runkeeper was one of the main reasons I was able to fully train for and race the DC Rock n Roll Marathon in 2012. Two other friends signed up and we were able to track each others progress, place side bets, etc.. The bottom line is that it enabled me to have motivation beyond just doing it. The social aspect of Runkeeper coupled with the monetary angle of betting with my friends kept me on track. Gympact will do the same for you. My only recommendation would be to set it for an amount you absolutely cannot lose - like $20.

Best of luck! You are going to crush this.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 04-08-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Cool! Thanks for the links Alan T.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 04-08-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
AnalBumCover
College Starter

And thanks everyone else for following.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
ABC, i'll be following along with this. I've never run a 5k in my life. I don't think I've ever run 5k in a row. Walk yes. Run/jog no.

As discussed in Alan's couch to 5k duynasty, i'm doing C25k but I'm on week -2 (negative 2) because i'm old (41, as well) and out of shape.

I suppose I'm on a negative week (-3) as well, since my RunKeeper training wont start until 4/28. In the meantime I'll simply be doing some short walks just to satisfy my GymPact requirements and throw in a few run/walks to get my legs used to the impact.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
I suppose I'm on a negative week (-3) as well, since my RunKeeper training wont start until 4/28. In the meantime I'll simply be doing some short walks just to satisfy my GymPact requirements and throw in a few run/walks to get my legs used to the impact.

yeah.. in my case lungs. I almost couldn't breath at the end of the 3 jogs i did...
Old 04-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #9
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
yeah.. in my case lungs. I almost couldn't breath at the end of the 3 jogs i did...

If you are getting winded, try slowing down the jogs a little bit. There is no requirement on speed, just going the distance is more important than how fast you are going.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
I know this might be a ways down the road, but the best thing you can do is to get a heart rate monitor. That way you can monitor what heart rate "zone" you are in. If you start to move above it, you can slow down. Really effective.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 04-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Nothing substantial to post, since much of what I've been doing are just short brisk walks around the neighborhood.

Monday 4/8: 1.6 mi - 31 min (updated link to Strava)

The advantages of running in my neighborhood is that the major streets are exactly 1/2 mile apart laid out in a grid. So it makes it easy to plan a route and know how many miles you are running. And each red light is a checkpoint of sorts.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 04-12-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
AnalBumCover
College Starter

There will be times when my RunKeeper links will have the maps hidden from the public. These are routes that begin practically from my front door. If my route is anywhere else, I'll make those maps available for everyone.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There will be times when my RunKeeper links will have the maps hidden from the public. These are routes that begin practically from my front door. If my route is anywhere else, I'll make those maps available for everyone.

That is one thing that I wish runkeeper would add. In Strava you have the option for "enhanced privacy" where you can obscure the start location of your run if it is within a certain number of feet of your home or office to help protect your privacy, which I think is pretty neat. I think they started doing that when it was found out that crooks were using strava maps to find out biker's houses and steal some pretty nice and expensive bikes.

Since I cross import my running map across a bunch of apps, including runkeeper, I just have made it a habit to do a 2-3 minute walk before and after my runs just to partially loosen up and also so I can start my run somewhere other than my front door. I happen to live near a post office that I end up starting 99% of my runs or rides from instead.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I may look at other apps outside of RunKeeper. I'm only using it because it's linked to my GymPact account. But if I weigh the added features of other apps against the obvious motivation factor of GymPact, I may decide to freeze my GymPact account until I figure out a way to make it work.

(GymPact Anywhere is not yet available for the Android. This would surely resolve my issue).

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 04-11-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I may look at other apps outside of RunKeeper. I'm only using it because it's linked to my GymPact account. But if I weigh the added features of other apps against the obvious motivation factor of GymPact, I may decide to freeze my GymPact account until I figure out a way to make it work.

(GymPact Anywhere is not yet available for the Android. This would surely resolve my issue).

Even though I do not record my runs with runkeeper, I still upload them to runkeeper (as well as a bunch of other apps). You can realistically have the best of both worlds if You really wanted to by doing your run with runkeeper and then after it is saved with runkeeper, from the webpage you can export your data to a gpx file that you can then import into anything else realistically that you wanted to.

Probably alot of extra work every run unless there was some specific goal that you wanted to accomplish by doing that though. For me it is easy since I record my run with my watch that I can then upload to numerous things painlessly. (Of course at the sacrifice of not being able to use gympact though)

Old 04-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #16
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
You can realistically have the best of both worlds if You really wanted to by doing your run with runkeeper and then after it is saved with runkeeper, from the webpage you can export your data to a gpx file that you can then import into anything else realistically that you wanted to.

This is what I ended up doing. I track my course with RunKeeper which immediately syncs with GymPact. When I get home I export and import to Strava. So far it's been a pretty simple process.

What other apps are you importing to? I really like looking at my stats afterwards and tracking my progress throughout my training.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 04-12-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #17
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Speaking of GymPact, I finally received the notification late last night that I met my first week's pact.

A whopping 90 cents for the week. Not a whole lot, but it's something. So is it worth keeping up with? Sure. 90 cents means nothing to me except that I actually did something to earn it, and that I did not lose $5, $10, or $15 (God forbid) for the week if I missed any workouts.

So, along with the $5 referral bonus, I've earned a total of $5.90!

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 04-12-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #18
Subby
lolzcat

Since I bike to work most days, I end up starting RunKeeper (b/c it links with GymPact) and Strava (b/c it kills RK for bike data) at the same time.

The cool thing about Strava is the segment feature - your route is broken up into segments and leaderboards are kept so you can compare your results to the rest of the Strava community. Although Strava started out as a cycling tracker, it also does a great job with running. Apparently, a huge upgrade to the runner interface is also imminent.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #19
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Since I bike to work most days, I end up starting RunKeeper (b/c it links with GymPact) and Strava (b/c it kills RK for bike data) at the same time.

The cool thing about Strava is the segment feature - your route is broken up into segments and leaderboards are kept so you can compare your results to the rest of the Strava community. Although Strava started out as a cycling tracker, it also does a great job with running. Apparently, a huge upgrade to the runner interface is also imminent.

The running interface update went live yesterday for Strava

Strava is also my favorite to use (even though I actually upload my data to 6-7 different places because I am crazy)

Old 04-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #20
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
The cool thing about Strava is the segment feature - your route is broken up into segments and leaderboards are kept so you can compare your results to the rest of the Strava community.

I heard about the segment feature from Alan's thread. Makes me want to search for segments around my area and see how I fare.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #21
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I've decided to move up my 5K training a couple of weeks to 4/14 instead of 4/28. These short walks are getting a bit dull and I wanted to get a jumpstart on the 5K training (as prescribed by RunKeeper). I'll finish off the week with one or two more walks, one with the family at the park. Then my training will begin on Sunday.

4/11: 1.6 mi - 31 min
Old 04-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #22
AnalBumCover
College Starter

In similar fashion to Alan T's dynasty, I have edited my first post to show a list of Achievements to Unlock to show how I've progressed during my training. Some things I can probably unlock pretty easily, others I would need to work quite a bit for. I'll add more as I go along, but for now it's a pretty good list of goals to strive for.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #23
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I had time to do a quick walk after work this afternoon. This time a couple of laps around the nearby park. I wanted to create a Strava segment around this park because I figured I might be spending a lot of my short runs here.

I actually created two segments, one a simple 0.8 mile loop around the perimeter of the park, and another with an extension along a side street to make a 1 mile loop. Turns out there's another walker who'd recorded their activity around the perimeter. Strava included his activity in my segment and put him in first place out of two.

4/12: 1.8 mi - 33 min

This activity puts me at three workouts and I have met my pact for the week.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #24
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Day 1 of 5K Training

Today marked my first day of training for the 5K race. The sky was overcast and I believe was about 65 degrees outside. It was a nice day to run.

The first workout of the training plan called for a simple 1.5 slow run or walk, just to ease you in.

5 min warm up
1.5 mile slow run or walk
5 min cool down

Since I've been already doing brisk walks of this distance for a couple of weeks, I figured I would introduce my body to some short jogs during the 1.5 mile slow run/walk. It didn't take long for the shin splints to come, but I was able to walk it off and continue a light jog on and off.

With about a 1/4 mile to go in the 1.5 segment, my lungs couldn't carry me anymore so I walked the rest of the way.

4/14: 1.8mi - 32:14min - 17:38/mi

And with this first running session, I completed 1 mile.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 04-17-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #25
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Good job!

When I first started, I had horrible shin splints. One of the best things that I did was find a local running store to go to for help. Not talking about a Sports Authority or whatever chain sports stores you have in the area, but an actual running store specializing in just running. In my store, they had only runners working there, people who had run for years and were trained in inspecting your stride, your type of foot, how you ran, etc.

They were able to determine based on watching me run outside for a while, the type of stride that I had and based on that, and the type of arch they had shoe recommendations for me. They let me try them on and run with them outside until I found the one that I liked the best.

My shin splints went away almost instantly after that as well as various foot and leg discomfort that I had. One of the best recommendations that I can have if you are going to get serious into running would be to do something similar, it will make all the difference in feeling more comfortable and removing some of the aches and pains.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #26
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Interestingly enough, the pair of shoes that I have were bought from a specialized running store (A Snail's Pace). But that was about 5 years ago and since then the shoe has worn down a bit. In addition, I've gained about 15 pounds during this time and my stride has most likely changed as a result.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #27
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Interestingly enough, the pair of shoes that I have were bought from a specialized running store (A Snail's Pace). But that was about 5 years ago and since then the shoe has worn down a bit. In addition, I've gained about 15 pounds during this time and my stride has most likely changed as a result.

After a while I know that the shoes will lose their effect, but as far as I know that is from usage. I don't know if time alone would do it as well though. My current pair of shoes that I have are around 300 miles on them, and I am assuming at some point soon I will have to swap them out as well. They will start to lose their cushion in various places and you'll start feeling the various pains come back because of lack of support. If yours have broken down some, you may be experiencing that as well in yours.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #28
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I'm thinking of killing my GymPact account and start training with the Zombies, Run! C25K app. Thoughts?

Reasons:
I'm forced to use RunKeeper because GymPact requires a RunKeeper GPS recorded activity to keep track of my workouts that go toward the pact. I don't have a gym membership, so I can't check in at a gym and run on their treadmill. I hate that I have to be limited to just one app.

RunKeeper's 5K training schedule does not really sync to my weekly real life schedule. I only have about 30-45 minutes during the weekday to run. I can allow for much longer runs during the weekend. I'm sure most training schedules account for such type of daily life. RK doesn't. It just goes every other day, with no distinction for weekday/weekend type activities.

I like audio cues when I run, so Zombies, Run! would be perfect for me. RK also has audio cues, but for reasons above, it's becoming more and more difficult to continue with it over others that would have the same features.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 04-15-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #29
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Well, here's a bit of good news, I've been googling Zombies Run and RunKeeper, and I've seen reports of people doing both ZR and RK simultaneously while they run. This means I'll be able to have my RK stats synced with GymPact! I'll test it out with tonight's run.

I'm thinking of creating a separate story-driven Zombies, Run! dynasty which I will update alongside this thread which will remain my Real Life statistical, achievement and other things running thread.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #30
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Zombies, Run!

So yesterday was my first foray into the land of the walking dead. And I tell you, this is probably the best decision I've made when it comes to my running. Running is no longer boring for me.

I decided not to create a separate story-driven thread because it was going to be too cumbersome to maintain two separate threads for one related activity. Plus, the Zombies, Run! storyline is linear, and I don't want to spoil anything for those who want to try playing this game themselves. So I'll just post links here if anyone cares about my progress as Runner 5 from Abel Township.

One more thing to add, upon recommendations from people who are playing ZR I created a music playlist consisting of original scores from The Dark Knight Rises and Inception (or anything Hans Zimmer, pretty much). It added a whole new level of immersion to the storyline as well as intensity to my running. Running was actually fun!
The ZR-5K introduction called for a simple 5 minute warmup followed by a 20 minute free run/walk and a short cool down.

The actual story unfolds here. The Story Begins...

"Arrived at Abel Township. So many mysteries. Maybe I'll get a chance to solve them. But first, need to get fit enough to be an Abel runner."
As hinted above, I really enjoyed my run. I was completely immersed in what I was listening to in my headphones while still being diligent of the traffic around me. I tired out quickly and often as my legs and lungs are still getting used to the activity, but as soon as I recovered I would push on for a quicker pace. After all, there is a zombie on my tail.

Strava stats:
4/16: 2.1mi - 33:13min - 15:58/mi

I unlocked another achievement: Run 2 miles in a single session.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 04-19-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #31
AnalBumCover
College Starter

ZR5K: Week 1, Workout 1

When I drew up my route prior to the run, I had planned on run/walking about 2.5 miles. It turned out that I had a little extra gas in me to continue and and pushed myself to 3.2 miles - I completed 5K!

It probably wasn't a good idea to push myself like that, considering I'm still only a week into my training schedule. I even felt a little weakness on my left knee following the workout. I don't want to get injured so early on, so I think I'll dial it down a bit and follow the training plan. But it did feel good that I actually did 5K.
On the ZR5K storyline, seeing that this is only the 5K training app and not the full app, my first mission upon arriving at Abel Township was to start training with Doctor Myers. I'll be mostly walking around Abel, with some 15-second jogging sprints. There won't be any zombie encounters within Abel's walls.

10 min walking
---
1 min walking
15 sec slow run
(repeat 10 times)
---
10 min free form run

Doctor Myers sent me instuctions and words of encouragement through my headset. After completing my workout, as a "reward" I was given a book that I am apparently supposed to read.

ZR link: Begin your training as a Runner

"First workout. Rajit very insistent about reading his novel. As he is the only person in Abel who decides who gets hot showers, might be worth it?"
During the backstretch of my route, my workout ended and I was in "radio silence". But I knew I was in a 1 mile long Strava segment along the creek, so I continued to push through. I currently stand 18th out of 18 runners who have recorded this segment, 1:51 mins behind #17. Look out Mr. Tansopalucks. I got you in my sights.

Strava Stats:
4/18: 3.2mi - 51:22min - 15:59/mi

And with that run, I have unlocked 5K.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 04-19-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #32
finketr
College Prospect

Congrats, ABC!
Old 04-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #33
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Congrats, ABC!
Thanks finketr! I hope your training is coming along well.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #34
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I forgot to mention, I earned $1.11 for the week on GymPact giving me a total earnings of $7.01.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #35
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
During the backstretch of my route, my workout ended and I was in "radio silence". But I knew I was in a 1 mile long Strava segment along the creek, so I continued to push through. I currently stand 18th out of 18 runners who have recorded this segment, 1:51 mins behind #17. Look out Mr. Tansopalucks. I got you in my sights.
To comment on my own post, this is probably the best thing I like about Strava. The immediate competition factor every time you go out for a run. Go online and search for a local "segment", run the route, and see how well you did against others out there. Or create your own and see if anyone else stumbles upon yours and compare times. Once you have established your standing, you strive to beat the best time. You can look at overall standings, filter just the people you follow, or by age group (premium feature).
Old 04-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #36
AnalBumCover
College Starter

ZR5K: Week 1, Workout 2

I took it easy today as I ran to the local community college to meet the wife and kid for her toddlers tumbling class about 1.5 miles away.
The ZR5K workout was similar to the previous one, as I will be doing a week's workout three times.
10 min walking
---
1 min walking
15 sec slow run
(repeat 10 times)
---
10 min free form run

During my run I briefly met (through the comm system) Runner 4. And as a reward for completing the training run, Sam gave me the previous Runner 5's backpack.

Story unfolds here: Continue your Training as a Runner

"Runner 4 friendly. Got the old Runner 5's backpack - still a couple of chocolate bars in one of the pockets."
Nothing noteworthy to report. I eased off my training after running 5K last time.

Strava Stats:
4/20: 2.1mi - 36:33min - 17:30/mi

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 04-22-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #37
AnalBumCover
College Starter

A recent conversation with a friend explaining how I run while listening to zombies chasing me through my headphones.

Friend: Why zombies? Why not... dinosaurs, or something?
Me: Well, that's not very realistic!
Friend: ...

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 04-22-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #38
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It probably wasn't a good idea to push myself like that, considering I'm still only a week into my training schedule. I even felt a little weakness on my left knee following the workout. I don't want to get injured so early on, so I think I'll dial it down a bit and follow the training plan. But it did feel good that I actually did 5K.

I think as people get started on the various C25k plans, it is a common thing to start feeling good in early weeks and be able to do more than it says to do. I don't think that I have ever read that it was a horrible thing to do so as long as you don't feel discomfort and don't push yourself to the point where it affects being able to do later workouts in the week. The one thing that I hear people caution is to beware that the plans usually pick up pretty quickly around week 4 or 5 with alot more jogging and that is when people usually start in some cases repeating the week until they feel comfortable with it.

So a question for you, how are you liking the zombie app? Do you feel it entertains you more or makes the running more tolerable? I personally just listen to music when I run, but know some people like listening to podcasts or audiobooks. Do you think this is something that will have lasting interest for you for a while?

Old 04-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #39
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
So a question for you, how are you liking the zombie app? Do you feel it entertains you more or makes the running more tolerable? I personally just listen to music when I run, but know some people like listening to podcasts or audiobooks. Do you think this is something that will have lasting interest for you for a while?

So far I am entertained by the zombie app. There is a definite storyline that engages and immerses you during your runs. However, I'm still only on the 5K app, which is less story (at least early on) and more instructional training. But I was told that the 5K app does add some depth to the various characters in the main app. I did buy the main app so when I'm done with the 5K training, I can continue right along with the main story.

Music doesn't distract my thoughts well enough during my runs and as a result my running becomes boring and tediuos. But when the zombie app interupts the music with the occasional zombie chase or special instruction, it pulls me back into the story and I'm distracted.

One thing that helps me, and I've mentioned it once before, is that instead of the typical musical playlist that includes top hits of the 80s, I'm putting together a zombie-themed playlist consisting of musical scores from The Dark Knight, 28 Days Later, etc. It gives me a little addrenalin rush when the app warns that a zombie is after me then cuts off to my playlist which happens to be playing a chase scene score from The Bourne Identity.

As long as the makers of Zombies, Run! continue making new episodes (they just recently release a Season 2), then yes I think it's something that would get me going for quite a while. But I know that this would come to an eventual end, and I'll have to find other means to entertain me while I run.

I just did a quick calculation of how many total episodes/missions there are on the app (5K, Season 1, and Season 2), and looks like it wont last me a year at my current rate.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 04-22-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #40
AnalBumCover
College Starter

ZR5K: Week 1, Workout 3

Today's run was a sunny 75 degrees and a little windy. I drew up an out and back route which takes me back to the Strava segment along the creek.

I read a bit about Dynamic stretching vs Static stretching before a run and realized I might have to unlearn everything I was taught about stretching when I was a cross country runner in 7th grade. Prior to my run this afternoon I did the dynamic stretching drills found here. Sure I looked a little silly doing these along the sidewalk, but this was all new to me and I needed to know if it was better than the traditional stretching.
Once again the week 1 workout consisted of short 15 second runs followed by 1 minute walks.

10 min walking
---
1 min walking
15 sec slow run
(repeat 10 times)
---
10 min free form run

This time however, I was sent outside the walls to retrieve a supply drop a mile away consisting of an assault rifle and some ammo. Initial scan of the area showed no zombies, so it was safe for me to continue my training while picking up the weapon.

The interval training was uneventful, but once I turned back (during the free form run) the Doctor radioed that she could see a zombie trailing me. It was a slow one, so as long as I kept a brisk pace I could avoid it.

Upon returning to base, I was rewarded with a jewel-encrusted dagger.

Story: Janine interrupts your training

"First run outside Abel. Chased by a zombie, picked up some ammo. Good to be helping the base out."
I'm not sure if it's the dynamic stretching, my legs getting used to the running, or a combination of both, but I felt pretty good during and after the run. My pace remained slow, but I felt I could have run farther than I had planned for the day.

I got a personal record on the Strava segment (It's called "Balls to Lincoln") along the creek. Beat my first time by one second! Yep. One second. I remained 18th out of 18.

Strava Stats:
4/22: 2.5mi - 43:16min - 17:08/mi

I have passed 10 total miles.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 04-22-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #41
AnalBumCover
College Starter

ZR5K: Week 2, Workout 1

Overcast today, low 70's. It's a perfect day for a run. I drove out to my favorite spot and took the creek bed again, this time heading north.
It's a new week in my training and my running intervals are longer. This mission also introduces heel lifts. I'll be staying within Abel's walls today.

10 min walking
---
30 sec running
5 heel lifts
1 min walking
(repeat 5 times)
---
10 min free form run

I met Rajit today, the dude who wrote the novel I was given. He mentions that the base is running low on bed sheets and linens. I'm guessing I'll be out on a supply run for bed sheets in the near future.

Story: Rajit accompanies you as you begin your second week of training

"Longer sprints today, plus heel-lifts. Kind of wish I hadn't seen that thing Rajit can do with his toe."
A little after one mile into my run, my GPS shut down without my knowing. I completed my workout, but half of it wasn't recorded.

So my official stats for the day are cut short.

Strava stats:
4/24: 1.1mi - 19:38min - 18:06/mi
Old 04-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #42
AnalBumCover
College Starter

ZR5K: Week 2, Workout 2

I ran the same route as my last run because I wanted to record and create segment along the creek. As you recall, the last run was lost when my GPS died on me. The sun was out today, mid-to-upper 70s degree weather.
Sam wanted to join me in my training today, and insisted we test our luck outside Abel's walls.

10 min walking
---
30 sec running
5 heel lifts
1 min walking
(repeat 5 times)
---
10 min free form run

During the interval sessions, Sam had wanted to run to a certain area. Close to where the old Runner 5 was overrun by zombies and turned. It turns out he was looking for something that she had dropped - her wallet which contains some important information.

After this run I was given a new Runner's Headset.

Story: Sam decides to accompany you on your run

"Sam went a little crazy on the run today. He lost someone recently. Hard to put that behind you."
Today the sun was piercing hot. My pace doesn't seem to be improving, but I'm sure it'll come in time. I'm only two weeks into my training, after all.

I created a 1 mile segment on this route "Lincoln to Del Amo". It actually continues along where the other 1 mile segment left off. Along this segment, I'm 7th out of 7 runners who have already run this part.

Strava Stats:
4/26: 2.6mi - 43:50min - 16:49/mi
Old 04-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #43
AnalBumCover
College Starter

ZR5K: Week 2, Workout 3

I ran back to back days because I wanted to make sure I get a third workout in to GymPact a day early, with this crazy week, I was paranoid of something else going wrong with GymPact. I'll probably keep this up one more week, just so I can get the minimum $10 to be able to withdraw my funds, then freeze my account. It's too nerve-wracking to be worrying about getting workouts in. Really, it's not safe. For me at least.
Today's workout takes me outside Abel's walls again, this time to clean up litter surrounding the camp. This is the third and final workout of week 2:

10 min walking
---
30 sec running
5 heel lifts
1 min walking
(repeat 5 times)
---
10 min free form run

During the final 10 minute free form run, there was a slow moving zombie following me, but I was in very little danger of it catching up to me.

My post workout reward was an axe to arm myself while outside.

Story: Assist Janine by collecting rubbish from around Abel.

"Got a pretty fine haul of trash today. And outpaced a couple of zoms."
There seemed to be some special instructions during the warm up walk, to reach down and pick up litter on the ground while maintaining a stride. Online research tells me this is their way of telling me to do lunges as part of my warm up. I'll remember to do this next time.

Strava Stats:
4/27: 2.3mi - 38:12min - 16.29/mi
Old 04-29-2013, 10:38 PM   #44
AnalBumCover
College Starter

ZR5K: Week 3, Workout 1

I shouldn't have had that cheeseburger and fries for lunch today. I felt weighted down all day. But as the afternoon passed, I didn't feel as bad, and I became excited to start a new week and a new workout.
I was joined by Francesca, Abel's quartermaster. My running intervals are getting longer, and now we introduce knee lifts to my workout.

5 min walking
5 min free form run
---
1 min running
1 min walking
10 sec knee lifts
(repeat 5 times)
---
8 min free form run
2 min stretching
8 min free form run

Story: Francesca, Abel's Quartermaster, joins you on your first session of Week 3.

"Met Francesca, Abel's cook. She mentioned that things are going missing from her kitchen."
There was a little more running involved in this workout. Early on, I was fighting shin splints, but worked those off during the warm-up free form run. I thought my second and third free form runs felt good, but after checking my Strava stats, it appeared my recovery walks really slowed down my average pace. The "Balls to Lincoln" segment was my slowest effort by 16 seconds.

Strava Stats:
4/29: 2.8mi - 47:27min - 16:43/mi
Old 04-30-2013, 05:00 AM   #45
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

If you are suffering from shin splints, now that you are doing more running, have you been fitted at a running store for running shoes? If you go to a good one for a gait analysis, that might help. Actually switching to running shoes that fit my running style made my shin splints go away entirely

Old 04-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #46
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I think the shin splints were a result of a shortened warmup walking period. For the first two weeks I walked for 10 minutes. This week it was cut to 5 minutes. This was the first day since day 1 that I battled shin splints. And I was able to work it off fairly quickly.

Oh yeah, I also considered changing my form to a mid- fore-foot stride. I'm sure that contributed to the shin splints. After changing back to my natural running form, I immediately felt better.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #47
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I realized why my "Balls to Lincoln" segment time was slower despite my thinking I ran faster than previous attempts.

The workout plan called for a 2 minute stretch between the two free-form runs. I forgot that I had stopped to stretch my legs in the middle of the segment!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #48
AnalBumCover
College Starter

ZR5K: Week 3, Workout 2

The May Massive challenge on Strava started today. I will plan all my training routes to span at least 5K each. This gives me a good chance to earn the 80K badge. I may need to add an extra run or two during the month to accomplish it, or run a few longer runs.
On today's run, I was asked to assist Runner 10 in his research. He tethered a zombie in a nearby field and asked me to run close by as I do my running drills:

5 min walking
5 min free form run
---
1 min running
1 min walking
10 sec knee lifts
(repeat 5 times)
---
8 min free form run
2 min stretching
8 min free form run

Runner 10 noticed the zombie becomes enraged to my knee lifts, to the point that it pulls the stake from the ground and frees itself. I'm left to run for my life back to the base.

Story: Assist Runner 10's research into Zombie behaviour while training

"Ran around a tethered zombie in a field. For science! Also, zombies do not like knee-lifts. Good to know."
I slowed down my pace today so I can last throughout my running segments without having to walk. I ran the entire first 5 minute free-form run! Then ran during each of the 1 minute run segments.

On the first of the two final 8 minute runs, I almost lasted the full 8 minutes before having to take a walking break. By the final running segment, I was gassed. I don't think I ran a full minute before having to walk it off again.

But this is promising. By slowing down just a bit, I was able to continue running for longer periods.

Strava Stats:
5/1: 3.2mi - 55:25min - 17:18/mi
Old 05-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #49
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Here's little article I found, thanks to Reddit.

Do You Think You Run Slow? Why Being “Slow” Doesn’t Matter

Quote:
Ok, so I can’t convince you that being “slow” is all a frame of reference. So I’ll ask you, why does being slow even matter?

Runners are perhaps the most welcoming and friendly group of athletes I’ve ever met. No runner I know has a problem slowing down to run with a friend. Think about it. Would you enjoy a run with a friend, even if you had to slow down considerably for them to keep up? I bet you would, and your running group feels the same.

Second, regardless of your pace, you’re doing better than almost 80 percent of Americans. In a study conducted by the CDC, researchers found that less than 20 percent of Americans get the recommended levels of exercise, and more than a quarter of U.S. adults do not devote any time to physical activity.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #50
AnalBumCover
College Starter

ZR5K: Week 3, Workout 3

Good Lord. It was hot today, but I was determined to get a run in. With the wife out with the coworkers tonight, I had no rush to come home, so figured I'd plan a 5K+ route and take an easy run. With water bottle in hand, I ventured out.
There was a supplies drop nearby and I because most of the other runners were out of commission, I was called to run and pick up the drop while still doing my training exercises.

5 min walking
5 min free form run
---
1 min running
1 min walking
10 sec knee lifts
(repeat 5 times)
---
8 min free form run
2 min stretching
8 min free form run

It took a while to find the package, but there were a couple of slow moving zombies in my path. I was able to circle around them, pick up the package and loop around back to base.

At the end of the run, I was given a Runner's Pass for the hospital.

Story: Janine needs you to collect a supply drop while you train

"Everyone's please that med pack got fetched. Antibiotics for the hospital; any of us could need them any day."
I still can't maintain a slow run longer than 5 minutes. It was a hot day, so I took it easy anyways. The export from RunKeeper to Strava shaved off 6 minutes from my time, incorrectly showing a faster pace for me. I think I'm going to try a different app next run.

Strava Stats:
5/3: 3.4mi - 51:35min - 15:12/mi

Good news! I logged in over Total 25 miles!

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 05-03-2013 at 10:09 PM.