Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-18-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
Grover
Pro Starter

FTL - Faster Than Light

Do you like hurtling through space while holding secret data plans vital to the Federation with the entire Rebel Fleet at your back? Do you like dying over and over and over and over (I can't stress the over part enough) again?

If so, sign up to be one of the three crew members of The FOFC's flight through space and its eventual destruction at the hands of spaceships far more powerful than our own!

Really, throw your name in and I'll use a rotating basis / rename new crew members as they join.

The goal of this to see how many plays it takes to complete a running of Faster Than Light, which is a space roguelike in which you are in command of running a spaceship. You begin with a crew of three and a responsible for main systems such as engines, weapons, oxygen, shields, med bays and subsystems such as piloting, automatic door control and ship sensors.

Like any awesome roguelike, all of these systems, as well as weapons are upgradable, so there's lots to do. SCRAP is the game's currency and is used to purchase fuel, hull repairs, upgrades and augmentations.

If you enjoy bashing your head against the wall, this is the place for you.

SPACE! ... It's out there.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner

Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:09 AM   #2
Grover
Pro Starter

HIGH SCORES
1. 3,541 (finektr, Grover, britrock88) Fifth Voyage
2. 2,819 (Path12, ntndeacon, finektr) Third Voyage
3. 2,811 (MacroGuru, BYU14, Britrock88) Second Voyage
4. 2,591 (Grover, Sir Fozzie, Ozias) The Maiden Voyage
5. 1,982 (Col. Coffee Warlord, Tellistto, Benton Gale) Fourth Voyage

Last edited by Grover : 08-03-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:14 AM   #3
Grover
Pro Starter

CREW MEMBERS

1. Grover
2. SirFozzie
3. Ozias
4. BYU14
5. MacroGuru
6. britrock88
7. Path12
8. ntndeacon
9. finektr
10. Tellistto
11. Benton Gale
12. Col. Coffee Warlord
13. Jackal
14. Pilot Man
15. Jerome Simpson
16. GI

Last edited by Grover : 08-06-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:22 AM   #4
Grover
Pro Starter

The FOFC in its game beginning state. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of this ship because of all the empty rooms, but we'll go with this before trying another ship. (I've only got one other unlocked at this point anyway.)

The ship starts with the Artemis missile system that takes 1 system power, pierces shields (5) and causes 2 damage per shot.

We also have the Burst Laser II, which requires 2 system power, charges in 12 seconds, fires 3 shots (1 damage per). Both weapons have a low chance to cause a fire, the Artemis system has a low chance to cause a breach in the hull.

You'll notice computers in certain areas of the ship (cockpit, shields, munitions and engine rooms). These can be manned by the crew, increasing recharge rates and the ability in a certain area for the crew members.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:40 AM   #5
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Sure, Sign me Up to die messily and repeatedly
Old 07-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
ozias
High School JV

I'll die many times as well, put me in there.

FTL is a very fun game to play, as long as you can handle dying!

I've played it for a long time, and it's one of those games the hook you in.

I still haven't reached the end yet, but it seems like you need to visit as many places as you can to build up your ship and crew. If you just fly though the sectors as fast as possible, that is an easy way to get killed.
ozias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
BYU 14
Coordinator

I'm in
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Im in...
Old 07-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
britrock88
Pro Starter

Grover! I'll play.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
Grover
Pro Starter

The FOFC – First Voyage

Crew - Grover (pilot), Sir Fozzie (weapons), Ozias (shields)

We start this game and every game with 16 fuel, 8 missiles, 0 droid parts and 30 scrap.

Sector 1 – Civilian Sector

First Beacon
Our first jump leads us into empty space. Ho hum.

Second Beacon
We meet a trader willing to trade us 4 fuel for 4 missiles. We decline his offer and head out for the next beacon.

Third Beacon
We spot a small rebel ship that has be refitted for transport rather than combat. We demand the surrender of the ship's goods and prepare to secure them by force.

The Rebel Rigger has a combat droid that will be momentarily a nuisance. We quickly fire up the Artemis and lasers. The first missile takes out the Rebel's engines, while the lasers take out their main weapons systems.

They are able to damage our shield just enough to bring them down, so their droid will be our biggest threat to the hull. Our second laser blast takes out the droid and the third blasts the ship into bits.

We receive 25 scrap for our efforts.

The crew works quickly to repair damage to the med bay and door control array.

Fourth Beacon
As we reach the beacon, we are quickly met be a well-armed Pirate ship, it's class is a Rebel Rigger. The pirates also happen to be slavers who promise us our freedom if we just hand over a crew member. Unfortunately for the slavers, this isn't going to happen. We deny their request and prepare for a dogfight.

The Artemis quickly takes out the engines as the lasers disable their weaponry. They have a direct missile hit in the room behind the engines, luckily nothing important was there. Their hit on us started a fire, which was quickly extinguished by opening the airlock.

Sensing the battle is nearly done and dusted, the Pirates offer us one of their slaves in exchange for their lives. We agree that this is mutually beneficial and welcome Kara aboard. Kara is a Mantis, who do double damage in combat, move at 1.2x the normal speed, but their repair speed is halved. For the time being, Kara will be in the engine room.

Note: Apparently I cannot change the names of crew members we add along the way. So every new game will only have three FOFC members. I will rotate crew members liberally.

Fifth Beacon
With mercenaries now swarming the galaxy it comes as no surprise that we run into one at the next beacon. He offers to delay the Rebels or scout the sector, but we have no need for either. We could leave him alone, but we're going to leave no evidence of our arrival in this sector.

As usual in the early going, we disable the Slug Interceptor's weapons and engine systems, two laser volleys later and we've come out of the dogfight victorious.

We add 2 fuel, 1 missile and 23 scrap (11, 5, 55 respectively)

With our scrap, we spend 40 to buy two additional power bars for the reactor. With 38 scrap left, we need 12 more to upgrade our shields, which is the first priority and hopefully before we leave the sector.

Sixth Beacon
We come out of our jump and are met by a Rebel Fighter. Everyone to their stations and let's scratch out another victory. As always, we target the weapons and engine systems first. Their attack misses, as does the Artemis, but our laser volleys do enough to keep their weapon systems disabled. It's an easy battle for us and we come away relatively unscathed.

We receive 2 missiles, 1 drone part and 17 scrap.

We quickly spend the 50 scrap to upgrade our shields. They're now twice as powerful as before.

Seventh Beacon
We come across an Energy Bomber and a radio transmission cuts across. “Greetings and welcome to our beacon! For a small fee, we'll let you continue on your way!”

The crew is requesting a toll of 24 scrap. Well, we've only got 5. Prepare for battle.

Our first round quickly disables shields and weapons, the second laser volley destroys the bomber. Their threat of our impending regret was highly exaggerated.

We receive 3 fuel, 1 drone part, 22 scrap. (14, 2, 27)

Eighth Beacon
We come out of the jump to see laser blasts coming from the other side of the beacon. It's a civilian ship under attack from dastardly pirates! Being the upstanding citizens that the members of The FOFC are, we decide to intervene.

It's a Rebel Rigger and we'll have to deal with some pesky droids. We quickly take out their shields and weapons, but they're quick to repair. However, they can't repair the hull and the next laser blast confirms the Pirates' fate.

We receive 2 fuel, 2 missiles and 19 scrap from the wreckage of the Rigger.

The ship we saved was badly damaged and we take the majority of the crew to a nearby station. However, one fine fellow wishes to join us and we welcome another Mantis on board, Roper.

Ninth Beacon
An advanced Rebel auto-scout is in the vicinity as we come out of our jump. We could avoid provoking the ship, but would that be any fun?

This is a weak auto-scout, no shields so missiles won't be necessary. Two laser volleys is enough.

We receive 31 scrap.

Upon investigating a derelict space station we find a functioning schematic for a Drone: Anti-Ship Drone Mark I.

Tenth Beacon
We arrive at a small shop. The damage to our hull is repaired for 14 scrap. We purchase 3 missiles for 18 scrap and 3 fuel for 9 scrap.

In our ship, we purchase one more reactor power bar giving us 11. We can now fully power the ship.

Eleventh Beacon
We've finally reached the jump point in the first sector and the Rebel fleet is hot on our heels. Debris from a forgotten battle orbits the gas giant we've come up on here.

We receive: 1 missile, 1 drone part, 20 scrap.

With that, we've successfully made it through the first sector...

Old 07-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
Grover
Pro Starter

FOFC First Voyage, Sector 2

Sector 2 – Rebel Controlled Sector

Well, either path we have starts with a Rebel controlled area, so it could get tough in here.

First Beacon
There are no other ships near the beacon, but we do detect a communication relay. We tap into it without issue. Most of the chatter revolves around troop and fleet movement. Nothing particularly of interest to us.

Second Beacon
We arrive in an asteroid belt and discover that a Rebel auto-scout is stationed here. We'll have to quickly take them out, but we have to wait for the FTL Drive to charge before we can get away from the asteroids.

We easily dispatch the auto-scout, but not until we take a direct hit to the piloting system and have to make repairs.

We receive 2 fuel (14), 1 missile (11), 25 scrap (58).

Third Beacon
A Rebel ship hails The FOFC as she arrives. “Federation scum! We've waited a long time for this!”

Everyone is at their stations and we're underway. We quickly gain the upper-hand in the battle and the Rebel Fighter decides it's going to try and make the jump. Its engines are disabled long enough for us to destroy them before they can get away and warn the fleet of our presence.

We receive 1 fuel (14), 1 missile (9), 20 scrap (78)

Fourth Beacon
Before we make the jump, we see that our next location has a distress signal transmitting.

The ship emitting the signal messages us and asks for a couple units of fuel to get themselves out of their predicament. We're feeling charitable and do so.

We now have 11 fuel.

We receive 38 scrap for our good deed.

We spend 95 scrap adding two more bars to the reactor and upgrading the engines twice. While the ship is being piloted, we have a 30% chance of evading incoming fire.

Fifth Beacon
We arrive in a populated sector with a merchant mass-broadcasting a request for a mercenary ship to aid him. We respond.

It seems as if the merchant was waiting for a carrier to deliver drone parts elsewhere in the sector. We agree to to deliver the parts for them.

Sixth Beacon
We arrive at the location given to us by the merchant.

We dock at the space station and see a frantic person banging on the airlock. Once inside the ship, he drops to the floor saying, “My... friends... they've gone insane... they're coming!” We hand him a blaster and turn to see a number of people charging for the FOFC.

Looks like it's time for our first on-board fight.

This will sound awful, but we will let them destroy the majority of the ship, except for the oxygen systems. We mass Roper, Kara and Ozias into the med bay and wait for their attack. They quickly disable our engines, weapon and oxygen systems, but we are patient. They head into the med bay and Roper sneaks out to repair the oxygen room.

Ozias, Sir Fozzie and Alex (another Mantis), who had just escaped from the station easily dispatch of the intruders from the med bay, where they are constantly healed as they are attacked.

Everybody survives, we add a sixth crew member and we're ready for the next beacon.

Seventh Beacon
A shop! We're low on scrap with just 21, so we'll pay 6 to fix our hull damages. We also buy 3 fuel and 1 missile.

Eighth Beacon
Nothing more than a black market salesman trying to sell us scrap for missiles. We say “no thanks” and continue to the next point.

Ninth Beacon
Another store. We sell our Anti-Ship Drone for 25 scrap. With the scrap we buy 6 fuel and 1 missile.

Tenth Beacon
We've reached the jump point where a disabled auto-scout sits. We pull the data about the sector out of the ship (useless now that we're jumping out) and get some sweet, sweet supplies.

We had 2 fuel (16), 2 missiles (13) and 17 scrap (18).

Onward to the third sector...

Old 07-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #12
Grover
Pro Starter

FOFC First Voyage, Sector 3

Sector Three – Civilian Sector

Another civilian sector. Hopefully just as safe as Sector One.

First Beacon
A pirate ship offers to delay the rebels or scout the sector. We'll destroy him instead.

They do well enough to take out our O2 system, but Sir Fozzie and Roper quickly repair it. After a couple of harsh volleys, they offer their surrender, along with 6 fuel, 6 missiles and 23 scrap.

Second Beacon
A federation encrypted signal is being broadcast by the nearby planet. Let's check it out!

The place is empty, looks like the Rebels arrived before us and cleared out any Federation troops.

Third Beacon
A traveling merchant. We spend 4 scrap to repair damages and head on our way.

Fourth Beacon
Empty space. Moving right along.

Fifth Beacon
A space station offering repairs. We don't need any.

We spot a distress beacon and head there.

Sixth Beacon
It's a Federation Scout requesting fuel. We give them 4 fuel and are rewarded...

… with the Anti-Bio Beam.

“This terrifying beam does no physical damage, but rips through organic material, dealing heavy damage to crew members”

Seventh Beacon
It's a Rebel auto-scout. No need for missiles here, we'll let our burst lasers do the work. Their first and only missile fired on us disables the O2 systems, but Sir Fozzie and Roper are there to repair the air.

We receive 2 fuel (12), 1 missile (19) and 38 scrap (69)

Eighth Beacon
A ship engineer has set up a small shop here. We fix our damages for 2 scrap and buy 4 fuel.

We also decide to purchase an augmentation for The FOFC. A Shield Charge Booster which increases the shield recharge rate by 15%.

Ninth Beacon
We stumble across a forward scout of the Rebel fleet.

They are powering up their FTL, so we'll attack the engine and piloting systems. We take some damage to the hull and a direct hit in our automated door room causes a hull breach. With no oxygen in the room, we'll have to work fast to repair it. Alex and Grover safely make the repairs and we're good to move on to the next beacon.

We receive 1 fuel (15), 2 missiles (18), 28 scrap (38)

Tenth Beacon
Upon completing the jump, we receive a message from a nearby ship. They want 17 scrap to let us pass. We regretfully decline and prepare to blow them to little bits.

After a couple of direct hits, they start charging their FTL, but are inevitably blown apart by an Artemis missile.

We receive: 3 fuel (17), 2 missiles (16), 27 scrap (65).

Eleventh Beacon
We've reached the sector exit and run across a small Rebel transport ship. Let's take their goods, shall we?

They are immediately trying to escape, our first missile is on target to their piloting systems, the rest of the work is cake.

We receive 39 scrap (104).

Before heading to the next sector, we spend 50 scrap on two more power bars for the reactor. We purchase an upgrade for the O2 systems and the sensor systems. We can now see the insides of enemy ships and will know where their crew is and what they're working on or repairing during battle.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
Grover
Pro Starter

Sector Four – Zoltan Controlled Sector

I worry about Zoltans because they always seem to kick my ass when they board a ship.

First Beacon
We immediately head for a distress beacon coming from a nearby moon. We had down to meet the single life form our sensors have picked up.

We pick up our fourth Mantis for the crew, Charlie.

I feel comfortable having four Mantis on board because they make excellent fighters.

Second Beacon
We come to a quiet part of Zoltan space and encounter an ancient Zoltan wise man who has managed to harness the power of a spatial rift, but has been driven completely mad by it (of course.)

“Choose your doom,” he demands.

We chose Slug and a Slug Interceptor appears from the rift. The interceptor never gets a shot off and is quickly obliterated.

We receive 1 fuel (14), 1 missile (13) and 27 scrap (31).

The Zoltan wise man enters a rage and implodes, sending a blast wave of scrap and salvage in our direction.

We receive 2 fuel (16), 1 drone part (9) and 55 scrap (86).

Third Beacon
We ask a nearby station for aid and a friendly programmer gives us the schematics for a drone!

We receive 26 scrap (112) and Drone: Anti-Ship Drone Mark II

We head off for another distress signal.

Fourth Beacon
We arrive at the distress signal to find a Zoltan freighter with no crew.

We receive 1 missile (14), 1 drone part (19) and 21 scrap (133).

We spend 100 scrap to upgrade to level three shields and use 30 scrap to add one more power bar to the reactor.

Fifth Beacon
Nothing to do here but head for the sixth beacon.

Sixth Beacon
We receive a broadcast from a rupturing Zoltan freighter. “The Mantis, they're here, please-” We're interrupted by fire off the port bow!

This Mantis Scout has a crew of two and a teleporter, so we can potentially expect some company on board. Let's work fast to get them blown apart.

A Mantis immediately boards and heads for the med bay to destroy it, but he is easily taken out by Ozias and Alex. A fire has started in the shields room, the two of them head back to their post to extinguish.

Finally the ship explodes and we make all necessary repairs to our systems.

We receive 1 fuel (13), 2 missiles (14) and 34 scrap (37).

Grover is now a master pilot and Sir Fozzie is a weapons master.

Seventh Beacon
We enter a nebula, and luckily for us that's all that's here.

We spend 25 scrap to upgrade the piloting systems.

Ozias is now a shields master.

Eighth Beacon
We enter another nebula and it turns out to be the hiding place of a Rockmen crew taking refuge from Zoltan border police. They don't trust us and the battle is on.

We make easy work of the Rockmen in the end.

We receive: 1 missile (13), 1 drone part (11), 40 scrap (57).

Ninth Beacon
A Mantis black market trade. Let's take a look at the wares.

The hull is repaired for 15 scrap, we also purchase 5 fuel for 15 scrap and sell the Mark II Drone system for an additional 50 scrap.

Tenth Beacon
An unidentified ship is being accosted by pirates, who offer to bribe us if we leave. Sure, why not?

We receive 3 fuel (17), 1 missile (14) and 21 scrap (98).

We spend 85 scrap to add two bars to the weapons systems, but we'll need to add power bars to the reactor or divert power from other systems to use them.

Eleventh Beacon
In a nebula and on our way to Sector Five...

Old 07-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
Grover
Pro Starter

FOFC First Voyage, Sector 5

Sector Five – Mantis Homeworlds

The Mantis sectors are poorly charted and let's be honest, the Mantis are real bastards anyway. Think of them as the Buggers from Ender's Game. Complete hive mentality.

First Beacon
We'll start off the section by responding to a distress signal which is coming from a small space station orbiting an uninhabited planet. The satellite defense system has gone haywire and their repair crew can't approach without being fired on.

We try to help them, take some damage and move on.

Second Beacon
Nothing to see here, moving right along.

Third Beacon
We are extremely close to a star. Hostiles are detected on board, it's time for a fight.

The Mantis on board easily take the intruders out, and we put a few fires out caused from the odd solar flare.

Fourth Beacon
We pick up a distress call from a civilian ship being chased by a Mantis Scout. We decide to help out.

A tough battle ensues as we're still fighting fires from the solar flare. We also end up with a hull breach, downed engines and oxygen systems. We need to get this restored now or we'll have some breathing trouble.

We receive 2 missiles (13), 1 drone part (12), 40 scrap (53) from the Mantis Scout.

Sir Fozzie, Roper and Alex were lost when they ran out of oxygen attempting to repair the hull breach.

The remaining crew is:
Grover – Pilot
Ozias – Shields
Charlie – Weapons
Kara – Shields

Fifth Beacon
A store, which we needed pretty badly after we took some bad hull damage from that solar flare and the Mantis Scout.

We spend 51 of our 53 scrap repairing the ship and purchasing three fuel.

Sixth Beacon
Nothing to see here, moving right along once more.

Seventh Beacon
The Mantis ship is pleased to see us and fires up it's weapons systems.

A Mantis comes aboard and is easily dispatched by Ozias and Charlie.

We receive: 2 fueld (12), 1 drone part (13), 52 scrap (54).

Eighth Beacon
We locate a distress call at a nearby mining facility. An unknown disease is spreading virulently among the workers. We'll take a pass on helping them and keep on moving.

Keep your zombies to yourselves.

Ninth Beacon
We meet an auto-scout in an asteroid field.

Without any shields, the scout is no match for our lasers and a barrage of asteroids.

We receive: 2 fuel (12), 1 missile (11), 51 scrap (105).

Tenth Beacon
We reach the exit point.

Before heading to Sector 6, we add a couple of power units to the reactor for 60 scrap. We can now fire up that Anti-Bio Beam and take out enemy crew members.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #15
Grover
Pro Starter

FOFC First Voyage, Sector 6

Sector Six – Engi Controlled Sector

The Engi are awesome half-robotic, half-organic lifeforms and they are generally friendly.

First Beacon
We make contact with an isolated Engi science station and they give us some experimental technology.

We receive: 1 fuel (10), 1 drone part (14), 56 scrap (101).

We upgrade our automatic doors, add a power bar to the reactor and upgrade the med bay, leaving us with 16 scrap.

Second Beacon
An Engi ship automatically surrenders to us.

We receive 2 fuel (11), 1 missile (12) and 27 scrap (43).

Third Beacon
We board a ship that had sent out a distress signal, but we're hit by an asteroid and have to get back to the ship.

Fourth Beacon
We encounter a pirate ship and after a short battle it makes the FTL jump before we can defeat them.

Fifth Beacon
We receive a message from a Rock Fighter looking for an escort to a nearby beacon.

We accept and receive one fuel.

Sixth Beacon
We come across an Engi cargo vessel hurrying home before the Mantis can take the sector over. They're happy to offload some cargo to get home faster.

We receive: 1 fuel (9), 1 drone part (15), 35 scrap (88)

Seventh Beacon
We arrive at the safe point for the Rock Fighter, safely delivered.

We receive: 1 missile (9), 1 drone part (16), 71 scrap (149).

We spend 80 on a shield upgrade, but it will take another 160 scrap before we can completely make use of the level four shields.

Eighth Beacon
We receive a distress call from an Engi ship. We'll keep our distance for now, our hull could use some major repairs.

Ninth Beacon
We've arrived at the Long-Range Beacon, ready to head to the next sector.

However, we immediately discover a pirate ship with no lifeforms on board. We check it out and salvage for goods.

We receive: 1 fuel (6), 1 drone part (17) and 50 scrap (119).

Old 07-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #16
Grover
Pro Starter

FOFC First Voyage, Sector 7

Sector Seven – Mantis Controlled Sector

Back in Mantis controlled space, oh boy!

First Beacon
We jump in near a small military outpost and the Mantis are about to board. Hang on to your butts.

It's a long battle, but our hull survives and we fight off the ship and on-board invaders.

We receive: 1 missile (3), 1 drone part (18), 46 scrap (165).

We badly need repairs.

Second Beacon
We find a jettisoned Mantis pod and decide to pry it open. A man comes out screaming. After being calmed down, Pomeroy has joined the crew.

Third Beacon
We pick up a distress call from a civilian ship being chased by a Mantis Fighter. We'll avoid that one.

Fourth Beacon
We're down to 2 fuel and our hull can't take more than two hits. There's nothing here, but there's not much further we can make it.

Fifth Beacon
Oh sweet Jesus, it's a Mantis trading post!

We spend 104 scrap to completely repair our hull.

We buy 6 fuel for 18 scrap and 5 missiles for 30 scrap.

We have 13 scrap remaining.

Sixth Beacon
All is calm.

Seventh Beacon
We encounter a Mantis Scout and immediately a Mantis boards. Charlie and Pomeroy quickly dispatch him. Our Anti-Bio Beam eventually kills the rest of the crew and we strip the ship of useful materials.

We receive 1 fuel (6), 1 drone part (19), 81 scrap (94).

Eighth Beacon
A Rebel ship has intercepted us. Let's take 'em down.

The Rebel Fighter is destroyed with relative ease, but we're hurting for missiles.

We receive 2 fuel (7), 1 missile (2), 62 scrap (156).

We use 100 scrap to purchase the final shield upgrade and 30 to buy a power bar for the reactor. One more bar and we'll have full shields.

Ninth Beacon
We find a small Engi research vessel fighting a Mantis ship. The Mantis ship retreats as we arrive and the Engi give us some stuff.

We receive 37 scrap and a Drone: Defense Drone Mark I.

We also spend 35 scrap on that reactor power bar.

Tenth Beacon
We arrive at the jump point and a settlement still loyal to the Federation hails out ship.

We receive 41 scrap (69) and Weapon: Hull Smasher Laser

The Hull Smasher Laser charges in 14 seconds and requires 2 power. It fires 2 shots per charge, causing 1 damage per shot. It does double damage to systemless rooms.

Onto the next sector...

Old 07-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #17
Grover
Pro Starter

FOFC First Voyage, The Final Stand

Sector 8 – The Last Stand

The FOFC arrives at the heart of the last Federation Fleet. Our access codes get us past initial secruity and a direct feed to the capital ship's war room.

The Rebel Fleet cometh.

We are given 10 fuel by the Federation. It's up to us to destroy the Rebel Flagship.

First Beacon
We naturally hit up a store first.

We purchase 6 missiles for 36 scrap. We've got 8 of them now.

Second Beacon
A small, strong Rebel Rigger comes into view. Level three shields, a strong hull and drone systems.

We can't risk being destroyed and take off as soon as our JTL is ready.

Third Beacon
We arrive at an abandoned trading station.

We receive: 5 fuel, 4 missiles, 5 drone parts.

They're on our heels now.

Fourth Beacon
A rebel scout is attacking a small refueling outpost. We'll try and intervene.

Again we have to jump to survive.

Fifth Beacon
We're in real trouble now, this could be the end of the road.

We take massive, massive damage and escape before we can be destroyed.

Ozias has been killed by an enemy drone that teleported aboard.

Grover is the last remaining original crew member of the FOFC.

Sixth Beacon
We find a Federation safe haven where we can properly repair the ship.

Seventh Beacon
Another battle we can't win and we're fresh out of missiles.

I think The FOFC's first voyage might be doomed.

Eighth Beacon
We run into another one of the Rebel's Elight Fighters.

We jump again and come to a temporarily safe haven.

Ninth Beacon

A message pops up:

The Rebel Flagship is within range of the Federation Base. All is lost, they've won.

Score: 2,591

Old 07-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #18
ozias
High School JV

Yet so close, and yet so far....it was just outside our grasp!
ozias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #19
path12
Coordinator

I'm in! Picked this up in a sale a month or two ago but have only done a quick play through the tutorial.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #20
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozias View Post
Yet so close, and yet so far....it was just outside our grasp!

Furthest I've made it thus far. I didn't actually think it was a matter of the Rebel Ship getting to the Federation Fleet, thought I had more time, losing like that was completely my own stupid fault!

BYU, Macro and Britrock will have the next mission of the FOFC II!

Old 07-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #21
Grover
Pro Starter

Game 2 will be coming up tonight after I'm out of work, probably around midnight.

I played a game last night and made it to The Last Stand, beat the Rebel Command Ship... only to have to try and beat it twice more. Needless to say, the mission ended in failure.

The Engi ship was used, which is the only one I've got unlocked. We may go with that tonight. I had a great combination of droids and lasers that did incredible damage.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #22
Grover
Pro Starter

The FOFC II – Second Voyage

Crew – MacroGuru (pilot), BYU14 (weapons), Britrock88 (shields)

Once again we will be using the primary starting ship, mostly because I want to unlock the alternate layout for it, which adds a fourth crew member.

To make that happen, I need to either: a) have six unique aliens on the Kestrel Cruiser simultaneously., or b) have every system and subsystem installed at one time.

Also of note, I will be playing on easy until I beat the game once. Then I will move to normal difficulty. Easy is not easy by any means, perhaps I am just bad at the game. Perhaps both.

And away we go...

Sector One – Civilian Sector

First Beacon
If we're lucky, we get to add a fourth crew member on the first jump. It's a Rebel Rigger with pirate markings and they're demanding one of the crew. They could have drawn straws, but inevitably BYU14 would lose and we all know he'd make a terrible slave. So we'll take the battle to them and hope we get them damaged enough to offer up a slave to join the crew.

And so it is, an easy battle and we are given an Engi named Borman. The awesome thing about the Engi is that they repair at double speed. The bad thing about the Engi is that their melee damage is halved. Borman will head to the engine room and put in work there.

Second Beacon
It's a store, with only 30 scrap there's not much we can buy. There are crew to be hired for 45, but that's won't happen yet. We buy 4 missiles for 24 scrap and head out.

Third Beacon
Nothing but empty space. It's a connector.

Fourth Beacon
We end up in a nebula and meet a Rebel auto-scout with no shields.

They knock out our O2 briefly, but it's a fast battle and we're in the clear.

We receive 2 fuel (14) and 22 scrap (28).

Fifth Beacon

This time it's an asteroid field and a Rebel auto-scout. Ho-hum.

I probably could have let the asteroids destroy it.

We receive 2 missiles (14), 1 drone part (1), and 19 scrap (47).

Sixth Beacon
Scans reveal a large asteroid nearby. We decide to take the risk and see if there's anything worth scavenging.

We find nothing of interest and luckily take no hull damage.

Seventh Beacon
As we arrive a civilian ship hails us and asks us for an escort to a nearby depot to get fixed. We'll lead them on. We're friendly people.

We receive 14 scrap (61) for our awesome karma.

The reactor has 2 power bars added for 10 total. We also upgrade the engines for 15.

Eighth Beacon
We arrive at the quest point and one of the civilian ship's friends shows us his wares. Too bad we just spent all of our scrap upgrading the engines and reactor.

Ninth Beacon
A distress call from a nearby human mining colony asks us for help in containing a virulent disease. We send Borman down to calm the infected because he's half-robotic and can't catch people sicknesses.

We receive 2 missiles (16), 1 drone part (2) and 14 scrap (20), because Borman is a bad ass soothsayer who can quell zombies.

Tenth Beacon
The Fleet is getting close, time to start moving.

We come across another Rebel auto-scout, this one attacking a refueling outpost.

Our Burst Laser II makes easy work and we receive 2 fuel (10), 1 drone part (3) and 15 scrap (35).

The outpost hails The FOFC II and gives us 2 fuel (12), 1 missile (17), 18 scrap (53) and an Anti-Personnel Drone.

Eleventh Beacon
When I said the Fleet was getting close, well, they're hear.

We're at the exit point for the sector, but have to get through a very tough Rebel Elite Fighter. They've got a transporter, 2 shields and 12 hull. We'll have to fend off at least one teleporting enemy.

It's one attacker and he awesomely goes into our med bay. BYU14 and Britrock88 are quickly on the scene and dispatch the invader. Meanwhile, the Rebel fighter is also dispatched.

We receive 1 fuel because it's time to get the fuck out of the first sector!

Old 07-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #23
Grover
Pro Starter

Sector Two – Civilian Sector

Always keep it safe with the sectors, I like to say.

Crew – MacroGuru (pilot), BYU14 (weapons), Britrock88 (shields), Borman (engines)

First Beacon
We explore a nearby asteroid field and find 6 fuel. Score!

Second Beacon
A Rebel ship has been patrolling the region and begins its assault as soon as it spots us.

We blow out their engines, shields and weapons almost immediately. They offer to surrender, but we'll take no chances.

We receive 1 fuel (16), 1 drone part (4) and 30 scrap (83).

Third Beacon
Much like Sector One, the third beacon has nothing of interest.

Fourth Beacon
Ah, time for another crew member. It's a weak slave ship looking to steal one of our crew for some terrible forced labor. Let's free someone.

We nearly blow them apart before they offer as a slave, to which we acquiesce. We receive a Mantis named Ariel. I cannot confirm or deny if she has ever lived under the sea.

She'll be in the weapons room with BYU14, since the Mantis do double damage when attacking and teleporting enemies like to go to the weapons room first.

Fifth Beacon
We meet a trader and decline their offer of droid parts for fuel,

Sixth Beacon
We respond to a distress call at a small research station. A fire in a laboratory got out of control and is threatening to destroy the station.

We dock to save the employees and save a few, but many are sadly lost. We offload the survivors at a nearby station, however...

We receive 19 scrap (102) and Jones, our sixth crew member. Jones is a human and will join Borman in the engines room.

We spend 100 scrap to add two power bars to the reactor and upgrade our shields.

Seventh Beacon
We arrive to find a remote settlement being attacked by a pirate who tells us to stay out of things. We decide to ignore his warning.

There isn't much resistance from the ship and receive 3 fuel (14), 1 missile (9) and 25 scrap (27).

We contact the settlement and receive 3 fuel (17), 1 missile (10) and 15 scrap (42).

Eighth Beacon
No signs of life detected.

Ninth Beacon
It's a trader at this beacon, looking to sell their rare and valuable technology.

Damage to the hull is repaired for 12 scrap and we sell the personnel drone for 30 scrap. We buy six missiles for 36 scrap and head out with 24 left.

Tenth Beacon
A Rock Scout asks for assistance on getting to a depot. We say sure.

We receive 15 scrap (39) and their beacon is in the next sector which is sweet.

Eleventh Beacon
It's an asteroid field and a Rebel Rigger pirate ship. Let's take 'em down.

We take a ton of damage from asteroids, more to systems than to the hull, but we're victorious nonetheless.

We receive 1 fuel (14), 2 missiles (15) and 26 scrap (65)

Twelfth Beacon
At the Long-Range Beacon and a pirate ship tries to bribe us, but let's blow them up.

We blow them up and take 36 scrap (101) with us to Sector Three.

Well, before departing we add two power bars to the reactor and upgrade our weapon systems. We're left with 16 scrap.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:30 AM   #24
Grover
Pro Starter

Sector Three – Mantis Homeworlds

This could be a mistake, but I really want to get the Mantis Cruiser as well.

Crew – MacroGuru (pilot), BYU14 (weapons), Britrock88 (shields), Borman (engines), Ariel, Jones

First Beacon
It's close to a sun and a Mantis Fighter with a teleporter.

Gulp.

We take care of the two on board invaders, but Jones and Ariel nearly don't survive the battle. We prevail and blow the Mantis Fighter to bits.

We receive 1 missile (13), 1 drone part (5) and 25 scrap (41).

Second Beacon
Another fucking sun. At least this Mantis Fighter doesn't have a teleporter.

It's super easy, but the damn solar flares are trying to burn up the ship. We survive it though.

We receive 2 fuel (12), 1 drone part (6), 30 scrap (71) and an Augment: Scrap Recovery Arm. We will receive 10% more scrap. This will be huge for upgrading the ship.

Third Beacon
ANOTHER SUN!? AKLJDLKHFLKJFH!

And another Mantis Fighter with a teleporter. This is getting old quickly.

We destroy the ship before the on board invaders and receive 1 fuel (12), 1 drone part (7) and 38 scrap (99).

Fourth Beacon
We reach the quest beacon from the Rock ship in the last sector. We are ambushed by a Rebel Rigger. Awesome.

Hey, at least it's not a sun.

Victory is undoubtedly ours and we receive 3 fuel (14), 1 drone part (8) and 38 scrap (150)

We spend 122 scrap to upgrade our shields and add one power bar to the reactor. We have third tier shields now.

Fifth Beacon
Empty spaces.

Sixth Beacon
It's a trader. We fix our hull damage for 12, purchase 2 missiles (10) and 1 fuel (13) and are left with 1 scrap.

Seventh Beacon
Oh, a Rebel auto-scout. Yawn.

It was disabled, we were able to pull the ship's data about the sector and also receive 1 fuel (13), 2 missiles (12) and 20 scrap (21)

Eighth Beacon
A nearby Mantis ship begins aggressive maneuvers.

The team of Ariel, Borman, Jones and BYU14 defeat the invaders and the Mantis fighter is destroyed.

I love having a big crew.

We receive 2 fuel (14), 2 missiles (11), 29 scrap (52).

Ninth Beacon
It's a small Rebel ship and we demand the surrender of their goods.

They are not willing to acquiesce willingly.

We take their goods in the glorious act of decimating their inferior spacecraft.

3 fuel (15), 1 drone part (9), 17 scrap (71).

Tenth Beacon
The Rebels are already at the Long-Range Beacon. Let's dust these fools.

We take the 1 fuel and prepare to for Sector Four.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:01 AM   #25
Grover
Pro Starter

Sector Four – Zoltan Homeworlds

Let's hope it's less “sunny” than the Mantis Homeworlds.

Crew – MacroGuru (pilot), BYU14 (weapons), Britrock88 (sheilds), Borman (engines), Ariel, Jones.

First Beacon
These Rebel auto-scouts are multiplying or something. They're everywhere.

Missiles are getting low, we'll have to be cautious.

We waste three missiles taking out their shields. Ugh.

We receive 1 missile (3), 1 drone part (10) and 37 scrap (112).

MacroGuru has become a master pilot.

We add a power bar to the reactor, an upgrade to weapons and sensors and we now have 7 scrap.

Second Beacon
We try and dock with an exploding station, succeed in damaging our hull and saving nobody.

However, we receive 23 scrap (30).

Third Beacon
Nothing doing here.

Fourth Beacon
Nothing here either.

Fifth Beacon
We find a store and buy the long range scanner for all 30 of our scrap. Now we know exactly what's at each and every beacon.

Sixth Beacon
We jump into a debris field and are mistaken for an attacker by an Engi escort ship.

It's an easy battle, we keep their drones disabled and their ion cannons can't break through our shields to disable our systems.

We receive 3 fuel (11), 1 drone part (11) and 47 scrap (47).

Seventh Beacon
Nothing here.

Eighth Beacon
In a nebula we find a Rock crew taking refuge from Zoltan Border Police. They engage.

We only expend one missile in taking them out. Good job Burst Laser II.

We receive 1 fuel (10), 1 missile (3) and 30 scrap (84).

The math on scrap is wonky because it adds in the 10% AFTER you've collected it.

Borman is a master in working the engines

Britrock88 is a master at working the shields.

BYU14 is a master in the weapons department.

Ninth Beacon
Nothing to see here.

Tenth Beacon
A pirate ship demands our surrender. We laugh! HA!

It's an easy victory over the dastardly no good-doers.

We receive 1 missile (3), 1 drone part (1) and 37 scrap (121).

I'd like to find a store to grab a third weapon (an ion cannon) or a better missile system.

Eleventh Beacon
A rupturing Zoltan freighter cries out as a Mantis ship destroys them...

And locks on us.

Two minions immediately board our ship.

BYU14 has 8 health left when the last of them are defeated.

We receive 3 fuel (10), 1 drone part (13) and 35 scrap (156).

Twelfth Beacon
It's the Long-Range Beacon and no one's here.

I cave and buy two more power bars for the reactor and upgrade the engines twice. We have 26 scrap left and use 20 to upgrade the doors. Make that 6 scrap.

Off to the next sector.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:44 AM   #26
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Easy=Punching you in the mouth repeatedly
Normal=Kicking you in the groin repeatedly with steel toed boots.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:09 AM   #27
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Easy=Punching you in the mouth repeatedly
Normal=Kicking you in the groin repeatedly with steel toed boots.

Exactly.

I'd like to unlock a couple more ships too, just haven't been lucky enough to get the right options when given the choice.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #28
Grover
Pro Starter

Sector Five – Mantis Controlled Sector

We like Mantis space. At least we've got that long range scanner. Now we'll see where the suns are.

Crew – MacroGuru (master pilot), BYU14 (weapons master), Britrock88 (shields master), Borman (engines master), Ariel, Jones

First Beacon
We come across a pirate disguised in a Mantis Scout. A quick battle ensues and before they can be destroyed they offer us the goods.

We receive 3 fuel (11), 3 missiles (4), 41 scrap (47) and the Hull Beam which is a weapon that does double damage to systemless rooms.

Second Beacon
A Rebel transport ship. We demand the goods, they prepare to jump.

The ship is destroyed and we receive 47 scrap (93).

Third Beacon
All is calm. All is quiet.

MacroGuru is now maxed out as a master pilot.

We buy two more bars for the reactor and upgrade the auto-pilot system.

Fourth Beacon
The Mantis are upon us and two of them will soon be on board the ship.

That beam weapon is nice stuff, especially since we're very low on missiles and could use a store or two.

We receive 1 missile (2), 1 drone part (14) and 45 scrap (59).

Fifth Beacon
Another Mantis Fighter, this one attacking a civilian ship. We'll do our part.

It's a good battle, but the good guys prevail.

We receive 2 missiles (2), 1 drone part (15) and 47 scrap (107).

An attempt to contact the civilian ship is futile. They retreated during the battle.

Borman is now maxed out as a master of engines.

Sixth Beacon
A Mantis fugitive teleports on board, asking us to take out an Engi cruiser. We hand the prisoner over.

We receive 61 scrap (167).

Still holding out for a store here.

Seventh Beacon
A pirate bribes us with stuff so we don't attack him. Being low on supplies, we take the bribe.

We can't always be the hero.

We receive 3 fuel (7), 1 drone part (16), 25 scrap (192).

Eighth Beacon
Another Mantis Fighter. It's a quick victory, but now we're fresh out of missiles.

We receive: 3 fuel (9), 1 drone part (16), 46 scrap (238)

Ninth Beacon
It's the Long-Range Beacon and we're out of here.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #29
Grover
Pro Starter

Sector Six – Zoltan Controlled Space

Hopefully we last long enough to find a trader for missiles. I've got a lot of scrap to spend and it's been hard not sinking it into the ship.

Crew – MacroGuru (master pilot **), BYU14 (master of weapons *), Britrock88 (master of shields *), Borman (master of engines **), Ariel, Jones.

The entire crew is surviving quite well. Ariel and Jones have essentially been combat specialists.

First Beacon
We jump into the middle of the plasma storm. We notice the wreckage of a ship and have MacroGuru carefully pilot through the debris.

We receive 2 missiles (2!), 1 drone part (18), 40 scrap (278).

And a new crew member! Varnas is a Zoltan, made of energy. They can power an unpowered system just by being in it. We now have 5 species aboard the ship, 4 aliens. We need a slug and a rockman.

Second Beacon
IT'S A TRADER! YAAAAAAAAY!

We buy 3 fuel for 9, 4 missiles for 24 and fix the hull completely for 48.

Third Beacon
Another trader. Hey, when you need one, right?

Four fuel for 12, six missiles for 36. We're feeling good.

We add a slot to the weapons and the engines.

We're now evading at a 48% clip.

Fourth Beacon
Nothing here.

Fifth Beacon
An Engi vessel is trying to fend off a Mantis ship, As we engage, the Mantis run. Feeling the gratitude, we get some stuff.

We receive 36 scrap (50) and a Defense Drone Mark II. It can shoot down lasers and missiles. I may need to get a droid section added to make us of this before we reach The Last Stand.

Sixth Beacon
Ah, another pirate ship looking to board and kill us. Despite their excellent shields, they were no match for our firepower.

We receive 2 missiles (11), 1 drone part (19), 53 scrap (103).

Seventh Beacon
We head back to the store from the third beacon and buy Drone Control for 80 scrap.

The defense drone takes four power to run, so we'll need to save to upgrade twice.

Eighth Beacon
It's a smaller sector and we're at the Long-Range Beacon.

A trader at the spaceport offers us 5 missiles for 1 fuel.

Sold.

We are now on our way to Sector 7.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #30
Grover
Pro Starter

Sector Seven – Slug Controlled Nebula

Sluggy slugs!

Crew – MacroGuru (master pilot **), BYU14 (master weapons *), Britrock88 (master shields *), Borman (master engines **), Ariel, Jones, Varnas.

First Beacon
It's outside of a nebula and completely empty.

Second Beacon
We're out of fuel and luckily there's a merchant here!

We sell that defense drone, I can't imagine adding four power to the systems to get it going.

With it, we buy Caris! A slug. He'll hang out, make the floors sticky and generally party hardy while drinking Slurm.

We're full up, though if we come across a Rockman, I will sacrifice Jones, the other human.

Third Beacon
Nothing here.

Fourth Beacon
Now we're into the nebula and a Slug captain teleports onto the ship. He offers a drink, to which we take freely. He slaps us on the back, repairs our hull and offers to sell us crap.

Fifth Beacon
More friendly slugs offering repairs. We're not getting much out of this sector.

Sixth Beacon
A Rock Fighter is out here attempting to hide. Let the ambush begin.

It blows apart with relative ease.

We receive 3 fuel (4), 1 drone part (20), 53 scrap (53)

Seventh Beacon
We jump in and the Slugs disable our O2 systems. We'll have to work fast to survive this one.

They start a fire in the cockpit, but it's subdued and their ship is destroyed.

We receive 3 fuel (6), 1 missile (10), 69 scrap (122).

Eighth Beacon
Been awhile since we've seen an auto-ship. This one has impressive shields.

We receive 4 fuel (9), 1 drone part (20) and a bunch of scrap (102).

Ninth Beacon
The Long-Range Beacon. One last sector...

Last edited by Grover : 07-21-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #31
Grover
Pro Starter

Sector Eight – The Final Stand

Here we go again. +10 fuel. We could have used the missiles we're down to five.

First Beacon – Flagship 5 Jumps Away
It's a strong auto-scout. I'm hesitant to use missiles so we jump out.

Second Beacon – Flagship 4 Jumps Away
It's a store. Three missiles give us 8.

Third Beacon – Flagship 4 Jumps Away
We immediately jump and prepare to engage the monstrosity that will surely destroy is.

Holy God. We use up 7 missiles and have five hit points left to our hull, but we survive the first round.

We receive 2 fuel (15), 1 drone part (21), 34 scrap (48).

The entire ship was practically on fire, but everyone but Varnas survived, he perished in the fire.

Fourth Beacon – Flagship 3 Jumps Away
We head back to the store and fix half our hull. We have 3 missiles left.

This is bad.

Fifth Beacon – Flagship 2 Jumps Away
We take out a Rebel Rigger, receive 40 scrap and manage to use zero missiles.

Sixth Beacon – Flagship 2 Jumps Away
Round 2... FIGHT!!!

The flagship has redirected considerable power to her drones.

Well, with six drones floating around the ship, and them shooting down all of our missiles, the battle is lost.

The Federation is lost.

Everyone is dead.

SCORE: 2,811

Old 07-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #32
Grover
Pro Starter

Just unlocked the Rock Cruiser. May have to make use of that in the next game.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #33
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

If you need more crew members take me!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #34
finketr
College Prospect

i, too, would like to die in a blaze of glory.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #35
Tellistto
College Prospect

I'll go out in a blaze of futility as well!

Hattrick - Fizzle United (222968)
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #36
Grover
Pro Starter

The FOFC III - Third Voyage

The FOFC III – Third Voyage

We're in the Kestrel Cruiser once more, still trying to unlock that alternate layout.

Crew: Path12 (piloting), ntndeacon (shields), finektr (weapons).

With that, we're off to Sector One!

First Beacon
We detect signs of life on a desolate station, find no signs of life.

However, there is 11 scrap (40) in it for us.

Second Beacon
These aren't the droids you're looking for. Move along.

Third Beacon
We head to the distress beacon looking for some action. A small station is being overrun by alien spiders. We send the crew in to help, because we're insane and suicidal and fear no arachnid species.

Ntndeacon did not make it back alive...

Fourth Beacon
Empty space, however we find 1 fuel (13), 1 drone part (1) and 25 scrap (66).

Fifth Beacon
A Rebel auto-ship is in our presence. Our first catch of the day.

It's an easy win and we pick up 15 scrap (81) and 1 missile (7).

Sixth Beacon
A well-armed pirate ship full of filthy slavers demands we surrender one (or half) of our crew. The FOFC III is not filled with a bunch (pair) of quitters, they will fight on.

A well placed missile to their shields and after cutting through their weapons systems with our lasers, they offer us a slave in exchange for their miserable lives. We eagerly accept the human Kusy, who will take over at shields for the dearly departed ntndeacon.

Seventh Beacon
A Rebel auto-scout is attacking a refueling outpost. We intervene and destroy it, but not before we have to repair the med bay due to a breach.

We receive 3 fuel (13), 1 missile (6), 11 scrap (12).

We're close to upgrading the shields.

The outpost we saved donates 1 fuel (14), 1 drone part (2) and 25 scrap (47) to the cause.

Shields are now at level two.

Eighth Beacon
A pirate tries to bribe us. We will not accept dirty pirate bribes, for we are righteous defenders of freedom.

It's an easy victory for goodkind and we receive just 12 scrap (14), that's disappointing... should have taken the bribe...

HOWEVER~! Upon closer inspection, the ship under attack was a Rebel scout!! It's too damaged to put up much of a fight. We decide to destroy the ship, it's crew and salvage it.

Ninth Beacon
The Long-Range Beacon!

On to Sector Two!

Old 07-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #37
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Benton Gale can die as good as the next guy...sign me up...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #38
Grover
Pro Starter

Sector Two – Zoltan Controlled Sector

Crew – Path12 (piloting), finektr (weapons), Kusy (weapons)

First Beacon
A Rebel ship approaches and tells us to raise our shields. It's an easy victory as the Rebel ship is blasted to pieces.

We receive 2 missiles (6), 1 drone part (4), and 20 scrap (47)

Second Beacon
It's a store!

We purchase 3 fuel and 6 missiles and have 14 scrap remaining.

Third Beacon
A Rebel ship hails. “We did not fight a war to let a single Federation ship shatter our dreams of a better galaxy!” He locks his weapons.

With the Rebel ship destroyed, we receive 1 fuel (13), 1 drone part (5), and 30 scrap (44)

Fourth Beacon
A Zoltan Research facility asks for our help and we offer the aid. However, a bunch of pirates transport on board, kill finektr, disable nearly every system and almost kill the entire crew.

We barely prevail and receive 1 fuel (13), 1 drone part (6), 21 scrap (30).

We contact the Zoltan station and receive 2 missiles (5), drone part 1 (7), 17 scrap (47) and drone: defense drone mark I.

Path12 is now the only original crew member left.

Fifth Beacon
We engage a Zoltan ship with pirate markings and engage.

They critically hit our engines, but we take them out before any further damage can be done.

We receive 2 missiles (5), drone parts 1 (8), scrap 28 (75).

Sixth Beacon
A store. We add some power to the reactor and buy 3 missiles.

Seventh Beacon
A Rebel auto-scout. Engage.

The ship explodes and we take the bevy of contents.

We receive 1 missile (9), 1 drone part (9), 27 scrap (49).

Eighth Beacon
Federation sympathizers contact us as we arrive. They know our mission and help us out.

We receive 15 scrap (64) and Drone: Defense Drone Mark I

Ninth Beacon
We arrive to find a lumbering Zoltan freighter with no one at the helm. We scavenge.

We receive 2 fuel (10), 1 drone part (10) and 36 scrap (100).

We spend all of it on two reactor upgrades and a weapon slot.

Tenth Beacon
Another auto-scout.

The auto-scout explodes and we receive 3 fuel (12), 1 missile (8) and 23 scrap (23).

Eleventh Beacon
The Long-Range Beacon.

We are offered repairs for scrap and repair 10 hull damage for 20 scrap.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #39
britrock88
Pro Starter

Tough start to this mission.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #40
Grover
Pro Starter

Sector Three – Engi Controlled Sector

Crew – Path12 (pilot), Kusy (engines)

We have 10 fuel, 8 missiles, 10 droid parts and 3 scrap.

First Beacon
We land in an asteroid field with a pirate ship.

We do the majority of the work before an asteroid tears their ship apart.

We receive 3 fuel (12), 1 drone part (11), 31 scrap (44).

Second Beacon
A distress beacon and an Engi Scout asks us for 3 fuel.

We're low ourselves, but we oblige.

We receive 46 scrap (80).

Third Beacon
A very weak Rebl auto-scout.

Without using a single missile we destroy the Rebel ship and receive 36 scrap (116).

Apparently it was attacking a station, we go down to investigate.

The station is a storage site for various resources, we receive 2 fuel (9), 3 missiles (1), 36 scrap (152) and Weapon: Ion Bomb.

Big cache!

We spend 150 scrap to upgrade our shields. With a small crew, we'll need it.

Fourth Beacon
A distress beacon is coming from a small space station orbiting an uninhabited planet. Their satellite defense system has gone haywire and their repair crew can't approach without being fired on. We use our newly acquired ion weapon to disable the defense system.

We receive 1 fuel (9), 1 drone part (12), and 49 scrap (51).

Fifth Beacon
An Engi hive of shops, we'll take a look. We sell the useless defense drones for 25 scrap each, giving us 101.

We fix all damage to the hull for 6 scrap (95).

We buy five missiles for 30 scrap (65).

We buy three fuel for 9 scrap (56).

Sixth Beacon
Another Engi shop, but nothing worth picking up, really.

Three missiles and four fuel for 30 scrap. (26).

Seventh Beacon
A Mantis ship is scavenging the remains of an Engi carrier as we arrive. They turn and lock.

One missile and two rounds from the burst laser and the Mantis ship is space dust.

We receive 3 fuel (16), 2 missiles (19) and 36 scrap (62).

Eighth Beacon
Another store.

We buy the scrap recovery arm for 50 scrap. We'll get 10% more scrap and 4 fuel for 12 scrap.

Ninth Beacon
The Long-Range Beacon!

And a Rebel ship fitted for transport. We demand the surrender of their goods.

A short fight ensues, but they jump before we can take them down.

And we make the jump as well.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #41
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Colonel Coffee Warlord reporting for duty?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #42
Grover
Pro Starter

Sector Four – Engi Homeworlds

Crew – Path12 (pilot), Kusy (engines)

First Beacon
A distress signal from an Engi Bomber requesting 4 fuel. After our good fortune in the last sector, we'll take care of him.

We receive 55 scrap as payment.

Second Beacon
A small Engi research vessel is trying to fend off a Mantis ship. We move in to engage, but the Mantis ship retreats.

The Engi gift us 29 scrap (84) and Drone: Boarding Drone.

Third Beacon
As soon as we arrive, a small Mantis ship detaches from a wreck and jumps away. We salvage the ship and find a new weapon~!

We receive 23 scrap (107), Missile: Pegasus Missile.

We spend 105 scrap upgrading the weapons system and reactors to use the Pegasus Missile when needed.

It fires two missiles that do two damage each and they ignore all shields. It fires the two missiles at the cost of one.

Fourth Beacon
We receive a distress call from a nearby Engi ship requesting assistance. We move in to assist and unfortunately find a Mantis ship assaulting a small Engi space station.

They board into our med bay and Path12 and Kusy hold them off while the ship is destroyed.

We receive 2 fuel (11), 2 missiles (17) and 49 scrap (51).

We contact the Engi and for their gratitude they give us a weapon! And 24 scrap (75).

We receive Hull Laser 1, which does 2x damage on systemless rooms. It'll take a good bit of scrap to activate it though.

Fifth Beacon
Another Engi ship in distress. We respond once more.

An easy victory, the boarders damage our sensors and parts of our shield, but they teleport back as their ship is destroyed.

We receive 3 fuel (13), 1 missile (16) and 39 scrap (114).

The Engi give us 2 missiles (18), 1 drone part (13) and 24 scrap (138)

We also receive an Engi crew member after he hears of our mission. We welcome Grozoly to the FOFC III.

We'll put him in shields.

Sixth Beacon
A fairly strong Rebel auto-scout. We attempt to download the ship's data stores without alerting it and accidentally activate the AI. Oops.

In the end the auto-scout is defeated and we receive 2 fuel (14), 1 missile (18) and 36 scrap (174).

Seventh Beacon
A distress beacon near a small asteroid belt in which a pirate ship has gotten itself lodged between two asteroids. We decide to destroy and loot them, because they're just pirates.

Before we can scrap the remains a Rebel Fighter zooms into view and prepares to lock on. It does not last long after a couple of rounds from the Pegasus.

We receive 2 missiles (16), 1 drone part (14) and 38 scrap (212).

We fully upgrade the weapons systems. All four weapons active at once.

Eighth Beacon
Not much going on here.

Ninth Beacon
We sell the Boarding Drone and Ion Bomb, repair the hull and buy 4 fuel.

We also upgrade the reactor and the engines. We have 11 scrap left.

Tenth Beacon
We come across a cache the Engi suggest could booby trap the Rebels, we decide to secure it instead.

We receive 34 scrap (45) and Anti-Ship Drone Mark II.

Eleventh Beacon
The Long-Range Beacon!

Debris from a forgotten battle still orbits the gas giant in t his system.

We receive 2 missiles (18), 1 drone part (15) and 47 scrap (92).

We upgrade the reactor twice and our doors.

These last two sectors have really gotten us back on track in a big way.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #43
Grover
Pro Starter

Sector Five – Rock Homeworlds

Crew – Path 12 (pilot), Kusy (engines), Grozoly (shields).

We are extremely well-armed. The only thing left to do is the max the shields, then we can concentrate on the subsystems.

First Beacon
An asteroid field in the Rock Homeworlds? I'm shocked.

A pirate dressed as a Rock Fighter engages.

The pirate is vanquished and we receive 1 missile (17), 1 drone part (16) and 41 scrap (53).

Second Beacon
There's absolutely nothing here.

Third Beacon
A Rock Scout asking for 2 fuel, we give him what he needs.

They give us Heavy Laser Mark I

Fourth Beacon
Another asteroid field. A confused Rock Fighter decides we're bad and locks on.

After a small fire in the O2 room, we prevail.

We receive 2 fuel (8), 1 missile (16) and 36 scrap (89)

Fifth Beacon
Another angry Rock Fighter.

An easy win, despite the fire in the med bay and we receive 3 fuel (10), 1 missile (14) and 41 scrap (130).

Sixth Beacon
A Zoltan trading post in the middle of Rock space.

We sell the Heavy Laser and Defense Droid, giving us 207 scrap.

We repair the hull, buy 6 fuel and 3 missiles and still have 144 left.

Seventh Beacon
A nearby human mining colony has the zombiefest thing going on. We send Grozoly down to calm everyone the fuck down.

We receive 3 missiles (20), 1 drone part (17) and 25 scrap (169).

Eighth Beacon
A Federation trade shop!

We buy Zas, a Rockman for a crew member and the human Tom Banks.

We purchase four fuel (18) and four missiles (24) and are left with 28 scrap.

Tom Banks will be on weapons and Zas will help put out the fires.

Ninth Beacon
The Long-Range Beacon!

We are able to download a Rebel auto-scout's stores without waking it.

We receive 2 fuel (19), 1 drone part (18) and 28 scrap (56)

Old 07-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #44
Grover
Pro Starter

Sector Six – Zoltan Controlled Space

Crew – Path12 (master pilot), Kusy (master engines), Grozoly (shields), Banks (weapons), Zas

First Beacon
A distress signal in an asteroid field. A Zoltan security ship tells us to back-off as it chases a Mantis warship. We decline and decide to help the Mantis.

We destroy the ship and the Mantis are so grateful that the only take 75% of the loot. How civilized.

We receive 1 fuel (18), 1 drone part (19) and 30 scrap (86).

Second Beacon
A Zoltan store.

We buy the drone control for 80, because we always seem to get drones around here.

Third Beacon
A Zoltan Energy Fighter in an asteroid field. They want to shoot us down for attempting to access a closed mining field.

It's a tough battle, but we finally make the breakthrough and receive 2 fuel (18), 1 drone part (20) and 50 scrap.

Fourth Beacon
These Zoltan like to fight. Ugh.

Despite these ships having awesome shields, we're breaking them down quite quickly.

We receive 1 fuel (18), 1 missile (12) and 56 scrap (107).

Fifth Beacon
We arrive at a shop and purchase Noemi the Mantis and Kara the Slug for our crew. We need a Zoltan to unlock the second layout.

We also buy 2 missiles and repair 1 damage. We are left with 1 scrap.

Sixth Beacon
We find some floating debris and rejoice in free stuff.

We receive 2 fuel (18), 1 drone part (20) and 55 scrap (56).

Seventh Beacon
Nothing here but a Zoltan tourist trap.

Eighth Beacon
An intense fight with a Pirate ship in a Nebula ends with the Pirate's escape. Our hull is in critical condition.

Ninth Beacon
We jump into a field and an Engi escort mistakes us for an attacker.

We're down to just 4 missiles, but after a long battle, we win.

We receive 2 fuel (17), 1 drone part (21) and 63 scrap (119).

Tenth Beacon
The Long-Range Beacon!

Nothing here and we somewhat limp toward Sector Seven.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #45
path12
Coordinator

Looking much better after that rough start!

EDIT: I typed that before seeing Sector Six. Not quite so good I guess.

Last edited by path12 : 07-30-2013 at 12:59 PM.
path12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #46
Grover
Pro Starter

Sector Seven – Mantis Controlled Sector

Crew – Path12 (master pilot), Kusy (master engines), Grozoly (master shields), Banks (weapons), Zas, Noemi, Kara

We need to take a lot out of this sector.

First Beacon
An asteroid field and a really nasty looking Rebel auto-scout with full shields.

It goes down, but our hull is in seriously bad shape.

We receive 1 missile (2), 1 drone part (20) and 70 scrap (124).

Second Beacon
We send some of the crew down to help with those pesky giant alien spiders.

Zas did not come back.

Third Beacon
It's another Rebel auto-scout, this one is much weaker.

The ship jumps and we're out of missiles. Oh, brother.

Fourth Beacon
Nothing here, we jump.

Fifth Beacon
A Mantis Scout.

We're in serious trouble.

Perhaps not. With no missiles we survive the assault and prevail.

We receive 1 missile (1), 1 drone part (20) and 60 scrap (184).

Sixth Beacon
We arrive to see an unusually well-armed Engi ship... and an intruder on the deck.

We give the Mantis to the Engi and receive 78 scrap (112), but not before he leaves us with 2 hull.

Seventh Beacon
We find a shop and repair 4 damage after upgrading our shields.

Eighth Beacon
We find a jettisoned pod and pry it open. It's a furious Mantis and it slices Path12 in half before going after the rest of the crew.

The entire original crew of the FOFC III has perished.

Ninth Beacon
Another well-armed Mantis ship. They will be the death of us here.

Well, it doesn't go well and the ship is destroyed.

SCORE: 2,819

Old 07-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #47
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

ntndeacon isn't scared of a little spidery death! We want another go! (please)
Old 07-31-2013, 10:53 PM   #48
Grover
Pro Starter

The FOFC IV - The Fourth Voyage

The FOFC IV – The Fourth Voyage

We're back! With the final third of signed up crew members.

Crew – Col CW (pilot), Tellistto (shields), Benton Gale (weapons)

First Beacon
Nebula cruising and we come across an auto-scout.

We take out the drone ship with relative ease and rejoice in this cloudy nebulous paradise.

We receive 2 missiles (9), 1 drone part (1) and 21 scrap (51).

Second Beacon
We stumble across a forward scout of the Rebel fleet. Lucky us!

The poor Rebel ship attempts to charge their FTL from the start, but they are blown to smithereens!

We receive 1 missile (8), 1 drone part (2) and 22 scrap (73).

Third Beacon
We arrive at a distress beacon and a Federation scout looking for 2 fuel. We acquiesce.

We lose 2 fuel (11) and receive 27 scrap (100).

Fourth Beacon
We roar into the area and our screen lights up with warnings. A pirate has shutdown half our engine capacity and moves in.

The pirate is no match and is blasted to bits.

We receive 2 fuel (12) and 14 scrap (114).

We spend 84 scrap to upgrade the reactor twice and upgrade the shields to level two.

Fifth Beacon
A nebula... and we've been boarded by Rebel craft.

A tough fight and they disable our shields and sensors, but we prevail, taking out all three teleported Rebels.

Sixth Beacon
An empty asteroid field with nothing to profit from. How sad.

Seventh Beacon
An auto-scout with no shields. Yawn!

We receive 3 fuel (12), 1 missile (8) and 21 scrap (45).

Eighth Beacon
Nothing here.

Ninth Beacon
We jump into a system dangerously close to a star. That auto-scout without any shields won't last too long here.

Damage from any solar flares have been avoided.

We receive 2 fuel (12), 1 missile (9) and 21 scrap (66).

Tenth Beacon
A settlement asks us to take up some mercenary work.

Sure. Why not?

We are given coordinates in Sector Two.

Eleventh Beacon
Holy crap! A weapon is just floating in space!

We receive 10 scrap (76) and Weapon: Small Bomb

We buy one reactor bar to fully power our engines.

Twelfth Beacon
The Long-Range Beacon!

A trader offers us fuel for missiles. We decline and prepare for Sector Two!

Old 08-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #49
Grover
Pro Starter

Sector Two – Rebel Controlled Sector

It was either this or an uncharted nebula.

Crew – Col CW (pilot), Tellistto (shields), B. Gale (weapons)

First Beacon
We arrive at a small Rebel refueling depot. Our ship is scanned multiple times, but they have no combat-ready ship. We are denied access to dock at the depot and move on.

Second Beacon
Another Rebel resupply station. We submit our fake id's and slip inside.

We spend 53 scrap on repairing the hull, 5 fuel and 3 missiles. We have 4 scrap left.

Third Beacon
We arrive at the quest marker given to us in Sector Two. A Rebel scout is assaulting a compound on a nearby desolate moon.

We engage.

We prevail and save the station, who offers to show us their goods and patch up our hull. That sounds rather dirty.

We receive 31 scrap (35) and buy 5 missiles for 30.

Fourth Beacon
A Rebel Fighter prepares to do battle.

Things go poorly for the Rebel and he attempts to start his FTL jump. A well placed missile interrupts that and the life of all on board.

We receive 1 missile (13), 1 drone part (3) and 31 scrap (36).

Fifth Beacon
We take the time to use our ship as a shield to escort another ship out of an asteroid field.

We take 5 hull damage and receive 18 scrap (54). Not a great trade-off.

Sixth Beacon
A Rebel Rigger doesn't seem pleased to see us. After our first volley he decides to bail, but his FTL never charges.

We receive 2 fuel (9), 1 drone part (4) and 23 scrap (77).

Seventh Beacon
Nothing here.

Eighth Beacon
An auto-scout. How we love them. It tries to flee immediately, but is blown up. A shame no one is on board those things.

We receive 2 fuel (9), 2 missiles (12) and 19 scrap (96).

Ninth Beacon
An auto-scout without shields in an asteroid field. This will be a brief encounter.

We receive 2 fuel (10), 2 missiles (14) and 20 scrap (116).

Tenth Beacon
Another asteroid field and a better armed auto-scout. This one has a shield!

We tag-team with the asteroids to take it out quickly.

We receive 1 fuel (10), 1 drone part (5) and 24 scrap (140).

Eleventh Beacon
The Long-Range Beacon!

Before we take-off, we decide to aid a passenger ship against a pirate slug interceptor.

An easy victory, we receive 3 fuel (12), 2 missiles (13) and 21 scrap (161).

We contact the civilian ship, which turns out to be a science vessel.

We receive 1 fuel (13), 1 missile (14) and 27 scrap (188).

Let's do some upgrading.

We spend 150 to send our shields to tier 3 along with the power bars for it. We add a further power bar and are down to 13 scrap.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #50
Grover
Pro Starter

Sector Three – Zoltan Homeworlds

Hopefully some peaceful travels through this space.

Crew – Col. CW (pilot), Tellistto (shields), B. Gale (weapons)

First Beacon
We spot a pirate ship looting a small Zoltan cruiser. They spot us and attack before we can slip out the back door.

Once their energy shield was depleted it was all easy going from there.

We receive 1 fuel (12), 1 drone part (6) and 30 scrap (43).

We use 35 scrap to upgrade the weapons system. We can now use the Small Bomb.

Second Beacon
A Zoltan peace group sends us a message. And a quest marker.

Third Beacon
Nothing here.

Fourth Beacon
We arrive at a Zoltan research facility and agree to undergo some tests.

We receive 18 scrap (26) and small cakes made from stiff dough.

Fifth Beacon
Fire off the port bow! It's a Mantis ship! It was a Mantis ship.

We receive 2 fuel (10), 1 missile (11) and 36 scrap (62).

Sixth Beacon
We have to backtrack once and we arrive at a store.

We repair the hull, buy 6 fuel (14) and 2 missiles (12). We have 16 scrap left.

Seventh Beacon
We jump into a debris field that used to be a Zoltan cruiser. The Engi escort mistakes us for an attacker and we're locked in a space battle.

The ship explodes and profit.

We receive 1 fuel (14), 1 drone part (7) and 26 scrap (32).

Eighth Beacon
The Long-Range Beacon!

Before we leave, we'll head to one more beacon for that quest.

Ninth Beacon
It's a Rebel Rigger!

We hail the ship and tell them there should be peace and blah, blah. The Zoltan captain materializes on board and agrees to aid the Federation.

We receive 48 scrap (90) and Weapon: Burst Laser Mark II.

We spend 75 scrap to upgrade the reactor and weapons to use our second Burst Laser.

We head back to the Long-Range Beacon and move out.